The Official Poker Thread for the 2005.

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Dids

Post by Dids »

ugh- I hate limping with AA or AK in EP. Only way I'd do that if is I *KNOW* there will be a raise later. Yeah- you trap people sometimes, but you also fail to extract value for your hands and let people see the flop with trash that can hurt you.

Raising with big hands is important for value, it's also very helpful because it lets you understand where you're at vs. the other players. Especially if you know what hands they'll call a raise with.

Limit hold 'em, I'm raising AA and AK from any spot at any time preflop.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

Dids wrote:ugh- I hate limping with AA or AK in EP. Only way I'd do that if is I *KNOW* there will be a raise later. Yeah- you trap people sometimes, but you also fail to extract value for your hands and let people see the flop with trash that can hurt you.

Raising with big hands is important for value, it's also very helpful because it lets you understand where you're at vs. the other players. Especially if you know what hands they'll call a raise with.

Limit hold 'em, I'm raising AA and AK from any spot at any time preflop.
in NL i usually use a 3BB raise first in,

limit yep I'm with Dids here, raise every time regardless of position, 3betting them as well, they are the premium hands that make up a good portion of your winrate

Dids

Post by Dids »

Limit AA is an auto-3bet auto cap hand. AK is auto 3-bet, and I'll cap in LP and multi-way. HU I tend to avoid capping AK in a lot of spots.

Also, for your "doubling the blinds" folks. Here's a reminder.

the Wiper

Post by the Wiper »

:lol:

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

shit i play very agressive, i'll raise on suited connectors, 9 10, 8 9's... as long as the price is right... i usually limp in with bigger hands and smaller pocket pairs, not pocket A's or K A though, becuase as said above your bound to get beat by a straight or a low 3 of a kind.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Nl5H wrote:shit i play very agressive, i'll raise on suited connectors, 9 10, 8 9's... as long as the price is right... i usually limp in with bigger hands and smaller pocket pairs, not pocket A's or K A though, becuase as said above your bound to get beat by a straight or a low 3 of a kind.
true, i kinda take this approach with my NLHE game. that why'll limp in EP with pocket a's. it creates deception, and also sets me up to possibly limp a suited connector later in the game. and true if you limp with aces it can create problems, but if you have that many players it is def a situation to play cautiously anyway.

the Wiper

Post by the Wiper »

Nl5H wrote:shit i play very agressive, i'll raise on suited connectors, 9 10, 8 9's...
that can't be a good strategy...i mean, you're basing your preflop bet one the fact that you're going to get a straight draw or a flush draw on the flop. odds are against that, and even if you DO catch one of those, the odds are probably STILL going to be against you catching it..

i love playing 89, 910, and 10j suited, but i usually try to get in for as cheap as possible, because more than likely, i'm losing at that point...

also, placed exactly 200 in a 1,664 person tourney yesterday...180 is in the money... :-x

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

^^^ i don't play them the same way every time dawg :wink:

alpha

Post by alpha »

the Wiper wrote:
Nl5H wrote:shit i play very agressive, i'll raise on suited connectors, 9 10, 8 9's...
that can't be a good strategy...i mean, you're basing your preflop bet one the fact that you're going to get a straight draw or a flush draw on the flop. odds are against that, and even if you DO catch one of those, the odds are probably STILL going to be against you catching it..

i love playing 89, 910, and 10j suited, but i usually try to get in for as cheap as possible, because more than likely, i'm losing at that point...

also, placed exactly 200 in a 1,664 person tourney yesterday...180 is in the money... :-x
the point with raising with those types of cards is this. 1) i can out play my opponents after the flop. 2) it represents a hand and gives me a chance to pick up the pot when nonone has a hand. 3) those times im up against a top 10 hand and i do flop say a straight and flush draw, wooohooo im winning a big pot. 4) its a good way to change up youre game.
an example of i time i may make this play would be if im changing gears from tight to loose and i'll raise with(6-7s) in middle pos, or late posistion when there are some limpers.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

exactly...

it's too bad we didn't play last weekend, i was ready to take some money from ya'll.... :lol:

the Wiper

Post by the Wiper »

just got burned with aces...

had aa in a 25nl game. i had about 29 bucks...

raised 3 bucks before the flop, one dude calls.

flop is

k, 10, 2, no flush draw.

i raise 3 bucks, dude raised me 3, i call.

then, 5.

i raise 5 bucks, he raised me 5, i go all in, he calls.

last card is a 3.

yep, you guessed it, he had k-3.

so before the motherfucking flop, he calls a 3 dollar raise (big blind is .50) with a damn king two. calls all of my raises with high pair and a shitty kicker, even calls after i raise, he raises, and i went over the top on him all in...

all with a king-three.

:sad:

i honestly wish some people were just a little bit better, there'd be a lot less suck-outs...

alpha

Post by alpha »

the Wiper wrote:just got burned with aces...

flop is

k, 10, 2, no flush draw.

then, 5.

last card is a 3.

so before the motherfucking flop, he calls a 3 dollar raise (big blind is .50) with a damn king two. calls all of my raises with high pair and a shitty kicker, even calls after i raise, he raises, and i went over the top on him all in...

all with a king-three.

i honestly wish some people were just a little bit better, there'd be a lot less suck-outs...
bad beats happens. but just hearing that story makes me want to go back to partypoker ASAP. too bad im still clearing a bonus

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

at such a low limit, its going to happen man... but a K 2 offsuit is wack...

the Wiper

Post by the Wiper »

the worst part is the quicklike emotional swings...

all in the span of like, 1.2 seconds (anyone that uses partypoker knows how quick they bang those cards out once someone's all in), i go from nervous, to amped that all he has is kings, to disgusted that he caught one of the three cards that could've beat me...

like, seriously in a second. nervous/amped/disgusted.

alpha

Post by alpha »

the Wiper wrote:the worst part is the quicklike emotional swings...

all in the span of like, 1.2 seconds (anyone that uses partypoker knows how quick they bang those cards out once someone's all in), i go from nervous, to amped that all he has is kings, to disgusted that he caught one of the three cards that could've beat me...

like, seriously in a second. nervous/amped/disgusted.
LOL, i know exactly what you mean.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

the Wiper wrote:just got burned with aces...

flop is

k, 10, 2, no flush draw.

then, 5.

last card is a 3.

all with a king-three.

you never want players to be better, I'll be critical of your play you overbet preflop, standard raise is 2.5-3BB(1.25-1.5) you bet 6BB .. then on the flop the pot is 6-6.75(depending on blinds) make a pot sized bet here, same for the turn
aces unimproved are far more easily cracked, make them pay to draw to 5outs(what he had, not 3) ... on this flop your AA is still a 4/1(you were 89/11preflopfav) favorite .. thats a great thing, but you do lose sometimes, often for a lot of money

MF DUDE

Post by MF DUDE »

fiVE . . tHERE wERE fiVE caRDs tHaT coULD bEaT yoU . . buT wHaTEvER, gUy. i'M oNLy rEpLyiN caUSE i bEEN mEaNiN tO aSK yoUR paRTy poKER sCREENaME . . yoU giViN tHaT ouT oR wHaT?

tHaNKs, cHEERs
FaTSO

alpha

Post by alpha »

MF DUDE wrote:fiVE . . tHERE wERE fiVE caRDs tHaT coULD bEaT yoU . . buT wHaTEvER, gUy. i'M oNLy rEpLyiN caUSE i bEEN mEaNiN tO aSK yoUR paRTy poKER sCREENaME . . yoU giViN tHaT ouT oR wHaT?

tHaNKs, cHEERs
FaTSO
i remember you from HHI. wlecome.

MF DUDE

Post by MF DUDE »

jUsT rEaD gUyS rEpLy aBoVE mE . . soRRy tO bE ovERLy cRiTiCaL aND uNHELPFuL wHEN yoUR sTaTEMENT waS oBViOuSLy aN oVERsigHT. i haD mEaNT iT aS a joKE . . buT iT migHT noT rEaD LiKE oNE.

aNyWaYs, buTTWiPE . . yoDEL

MF DUDE

Post by MF DUDE »

alpha wrote:i remember you from HHI. wlecome.

hEy . . pEaCE, maN. i doN'T coNTRiBuTE hERE muCH . . buT yOu caN caTCH mE cREEPiN aRoUND LiKE tHERE's sHiT tO sTEaL. i'LL sMELL yoU LaTER

the Wiper

Post by the Wiper »

wiper420.

also, i'd just like to add i won a 20 dollar buy-in last night at my buddies house. 8 people...when it got to head up, when had been playing for 3 hours, and i was ready to hit the bar, so i gave the other kid 40 bucks to stop...which was about the equivalent of the chips he had...

good shit.

alpha

Post by alpha »

like to add, made $42 in a cash game last night. the crazy part was my best hands were 10's and a-j two times. other than that i made some draws, actually alot of them. the other players were giving me insane odds to draw to some hands, lkike 10-1 on the flop for a gutshot.

Dids

Post by Dids »

I've been crushing this week, good times.

Wiper- your NL25 suckout story features like bad poker fallacy #1 "these players are too bad, I can't win".

Poker is a long run game, and over time you'll make more from bad players making bad calls than you will get sucked out.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

well i decided to play with that 11 bucks today at pokerstars..., and than i lost it, got greedy, put in 50, got up to like 90 or so, and than lost it all, and then put in another 50, and lost that too....i since uninstalled pokerstars, and won't play online again :lol:

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

almost got 50 bucks back...

Dids

Post by Dids »

Hopefully this post isn't out of line, but if it is, let me know.

Pokerheads, if you're interested is getting part of the rake you pay back each month, hit me up with a PM. It doens't mean a whole lot if you don't play much (or primarily play SNGs) but if you play a lot of cash games, it can add up.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Ugh .. Some guy went all in ahead of me, another dude called .. I re-raised all in. I had pocket Aces, the dude who called had Kings and the one that went all in first had crap. I flop 3 Aces and then naturally lose to a straight on the river.

The one time when it's not good to have a cordless mouse .. that shit flew across the room.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

the Wiper

Post by the Wiper »

dids...

how in the FUCK do you keep up with 3 or 4 different tables at once?

i've heard you talking about doing that, so i tried it last night...

i got into 2 play money sng's, and it was ridiculous, even moreso at the end, when one table i was headup, and the other had 4 people left...

every time i'd go to click on what i wanted to do, the other screen'd flash up and fuck with me...i couldn't keep track of which table was which, was having a little bit of a hard time remembering which table i had more chips on, etc...

now, i know it'd be slower on real money, because you're certainly not in as many hands as you would be with play money, and i know with real money you wouldn't get down to head up or just a few people at the table (at least in cash games)...

but shit.

i had a hard time keeping up, and it certainly wasn't fun. i didn't get to pay close attention to who's doing what, what people had, etc...

Dids

Post by Dids »

First off I have two monitors, so the screen real estate is easier.

http://www.bdids.com/images/4tables.JPG - there's a (big) image of what it looks like.

It's pretty simple though once you get used to it. Just don't get rushed. There's player who play a lot more tables at once than I do. 8's pretty standard for online pros.

Especially if you're playing limit, a lot of poker becomes pretty second nature. It's trickier playing NL or tournaments (and I got my ass kicked 4 tabling NL25 last night to clear a bonus last night.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

I play 4tables at the same time, my monitor doesn't support high enough resolution so there isn't overlap, so I try to make it so i can see my hole cards on all 4 tables at all times

you end up folding preflop 75% of your hands so its not too often that you have to play more than 2hands at the same time, also the pre-selectors are great for speeding up decisons preflop(I don't use them much postflop)