Question for Boxing Fans

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

OMNI

Question for Boxing Fans

Post by OMNI »

would this be the most boring figth ever?

-----

Some have already started to beat the drum for a world title fight in Boston between World Boxing Association heavyweight champion John Ruiz and Dorchester's Kevin McBride, who beat Mike Tyson into submission last Saturday night. There is interest at the FleetCenter and talk of possibly putting it on at the new Agganis Center at Boston University. Some believe the Chelsea native would pack in the Hispanic crowd and McBride would bring in the Irish for an ethnic clash that would echo boxing's golden days when such matchups drove the sport. But before we get ahead of ourselves, McBride was an unranked heavyweight when he got in with Tyson. Truth be told, Tyson was as well, except by the World Boxing Council, which had him 13th. McBride's victory was one he can be proud of, but the Tyson he beat had won only one of his last four matches and hadn't had a major victory in a decade. McBride deserves to get a major payday out of this, but a world title shot? Still, Ruiz's people have talked with McBride's and with promoter Don King's office. King said from his home in Ohio yesterday that he will speak with Marty Wynn, whose Raging Promotions company has an option on McBride's next fight as part of the deal to put him in with Tyson. It never expected to have to exercise it, but the only way to recoup the millions it invested is to get McBride a big fight . . .

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

I didn't see the Tyson fight yet, but Ruiz is boring to watch. So, yeah, this needs to be a Boxing after Dark joint at best.

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Post by bringinoutbangerz »

Not a boxing fan really, but I would have to say yes

Now Ruiz vs. a grizzly bear, I would watch that.......

Butta
la princesa de PF

Post by Butta »

heavyweight boxing right now is boring overall..You don't have anyone that you're looking forward to. I mean Klitschko is cool, but not dependable..Golota, Byrd...I couldnt care less about the heavywieght division.

All white people look alike. They're like lighbulbs with shoes. - Squidbillies

"Cause fuck that son...anything dark in your dreams that is not rick james is not a good thing." - My Sister

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

that big dude, i think his name is peters, is real nice...and this fight would suck

Butta
la princesa de PF

Post by Butta »

The only thing interesting that has the title heavyweight right now, is this Saturdays fight..light heavyweight division Antonio Tarver vs. Glen Johnson, Part 2.

All white people look alike. They're like lighbulbs with shoes. - Squidbillies

"Cause fuck that son...anything dark in your dreams that is not rick james is not a good thing." - My Sister

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Butta wrote:The only thing interesting that has the title heavyweight right now, is this Saturdays fight..light heavyweight division Antonio Tarver vs. Glen Johnson, Part 2.
sopposedly roy jones might fight the winner for the belt.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

heavyweight boxing will never be 5% of what it was in Ali's prime ever again

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

did anyone watch the Tarver/Johnson fight? It was pretty damn good

Roy Jones was talkin about possibly facing Bernard Hopkins :ohsh:

The way Mayweather and Gatti were goin back and forth got me even more amped for their fight this weekend

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

The fight that needs to happen is Winky Wright vs Hopkins.

Both two very smart fighters, tho' that might make it a very boring fight.

The Taylor vs Hopkins fight is going to end with Hopkins knocking Taylor out in the 7th. I like Taylor, but he's too young and sometimes makes gets anxious or doesn't go for the kill and it could be a costly mistake with Hopkins who's a very intelligent boxer.

I'm very tempted to pay for the Mayweather vs Gatti fight, but it'll be on HBO a week after. I say Mayweather in a decision. He's just not going to slug with Gatti.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i would like hopkins/jones again. this way hopkins can retire on top and at the same time put jones into retirement for good.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Philaflava wrote:i would like hopkins/jones again. this way hopkins can retire on top and at the same time put jones into retirement for good.
It would only be for the sheer sake of watching Jones get whooped on. I don't even think it would be a challenge.

OMNI

Post by OMNI »

Gatti is my favorite fighter.

But he has no chance of winning unless Mayweather wants to slug it out with him, but why would he do that

oracle21

Post by oracle21 »

damn never peeped this original thread. to answer the question the most boring in my mind (but not sacrificing skill) are:

Winky Wright-devastating defensive fighter who will win more often than not but will bore the crowd in the process

Joe Calzaghe-Not a fan but he is undefeated and his slapping style will put me into a coma

Paulie malignaggi-Dude has no power watsoever but is still techinically sound. with a fight in which he is onvolved in expect it to go the distance