MLB Thoughts

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

ripweblo wrote:
Psychosis wrote:
ripweblo wrote:please enough of mauer vs mccann
You don't think this is totally fucking fascinating?
lets start a new one.. jose reyes > hanley ramirez, now and for the future
:rofl: at you calling Jose Reyes the best player in the league in that other thread.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Please dead this. Myjah will never admit any other player can be as good as mauer shes got her twin goggles on.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Prophecy wrote:Please dead this. Myjah will never admit any other player can be as good as mauer shes got her twin goggles on.
YGC won't stop arguing if he thinks he's right. We have a stalemate.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Psychosis wrote:
Prophecy wrote:Please dead this. Myjah will never admit any other player can be as good as mauer shes got her twin goggles on.
YGC won't stop arguing if he thinks he's right. We have a stalemate.
Well atleast the season is almost over....
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

yr gangsta conscience wrote:
Myjah wrote:

95% of the time you are either completely off base, or say something that is quite obvious to most other people.
you mean like when you thought a prospect meant a late 30's has been outfielder, or a mid 20's triple A 1st baseman hitting 250?

yes, it was obvious to point out that neshek has struggled against lefties.
however, i knew this going back to before you ever knew who he was.
i was moreso saying it was nothing new,
and has been a career long thing.
Myjah wrote:
I would have defended White Sox signing Thome before the season started, for sure. Actually, I was pretty pissed the Twins didn't sign him. I think a lot of people could see this coming, despite his poor season in 2005.
uh. well,
it was the thread where i guarenteed howard wouldnt hit 40 HR,
you sure didn't seem to sold on thome.
in fact, if i remember correctly - everyone was upset they signed thome,
and when they resigned konerko, they thought it was some great move.

Myjah wrote:

Most people who know anything about baseball and Garza did not believe he was going to come into the majors and be as dominating as he had been in the minors. This seemed obvious to me. Hell, the Twins even warned about this on their fricken website ("don't expect Garza to be as dominating..."). I wouldn't go around calling yourself a prophet.
k
Myjah wrote:
If you don't understand why McCann having 100 less at bats makes a difference, you don't understand baseball statistics and shouldn't be using them. Didn't you ever learn about the scientific method in sciene classes in middle and high school? Remember why it's good to conduct experiments as many times as possible to get the most acurate number? A player could have a hot streak in the beginning of the year when he doesn't have many at-bats yet and have a very high average, but is this average a good representation of what he'll hit over a longer period of time, say, the entire season? Hell no. And the more plate apperances an average is based on, the more acurate a representation it is of that player's actual hitting ability. That's why Averages are so high in the beginning of the season and so low at the end. How do you not understand this?
i do understand it, you goon.
i don't care.
freddy sanchez is nowhere near as valuable as david wright,
but he does have a much higher AVG.

draw the parallel.
Myjah wrote:

Imagine if I went out and calculated those stats based on plate apperances instead of at-bats (the difference in number between Mauer and MCCann in plate apperances is even greater than the difference in at-bats). Mauer's stats would have been even higher than McCann's than when comparing them at a similar number of at-bats.

And yeah, McCann has more homeruns, more power. But a catcher who can hit a fair number of home runs is not as extraordinary as a catcher who leads the majors in AVG. That's why McCann does not receieve the hype Mauer does (in case you were actually wondering).
no, the hype is from Mauer being the #1 pick,
from the praise he received as a prospect,
from being named the #1 prospect in baseball two years in a row.

Brian McCann has 431 plate appearances,
Mauer has 548.

so in 117 more PAs,
Mauer has 9 less home runs.
2 more rbi,
23 more runs,
and they have the same amount of XBHs.

all but 5 of mauers at bats have come hitting 3rd,
240 of mccann's at bats have come hitting 5th,
81 hitting 7th,
32 hitting 6th,
15 hitting 8th,
10 hitting 4th,
6 hitting 9th.

the reason for mauers runs is not mainly his place in the order,
it's his OBP.

which is why he hits 3rd,
Morneau doesn't hit 5th because they want their best RBI guy there,
he hits 5th because his career AVG batting 4th is .248,
less pressure for a young guy.

your whole argument is based on mauers AVG being so much higher than mccanns, and you think because mccann has such a lower amount of AB's, his avg will fall off. yes, each at bat for mccann effects his AVG more than each AB for mauer, you're a math whiz. congrats.

but do you realize the difference between a .360 AVG (over, let's say, 550 AB) and a .330 AVG is only 16 hits?

it's not some insane amount.
and McCanns so much more productive than mauer as a hitter,
it's stupid.
Last edited by Myjah on Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I <3 Employee.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Please dont go back on this statement for the betterment of this thread.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Mauer isn't my favorite current player. In fact, my favorite current player doesn't even play for the Twins.
I <3 Employee.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Myjah wrote:
Mauer isn't my favorite current player. In fact, my favorite current player doesn't even play for the Twins.
wasnt implying that, and i really dont want to see said players name in this thread anymore especially when associated with mccann

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Who is your favorite player Myjah? David Ortiz?

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Prophecy wrote:
Myjah wrote:
wasnt implying that, and i really dont want to see said players name in this thread anymore especially when associated with mccann
I came to the same conclusion.
I <3 Employee.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Psychosis wrote:Who is your favorite player Myjah? David Ortiz?
sure is
I <3 Employee.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Myjah wrote:
sure is
Is it because you want to have sex with the seemingly happy-go-lucky mutant?

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Myjah wrote:
Prophecy wrote:
Myjah wrote:
I came to the same conclusion.
:cheers: ( wish they had malt liqor tho)

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Psychosis wrote:
Myjah wrote:
sure is
Is it because you want to have sex with the seemingly happy-go-lucky mutant?
Obviously you have the reasoning reversed here...
I <3 Employee.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

I missed this when it happened, but its pretty good

http://www.break.com/index/bert_blyleve ... ve_tv.html

oops

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

eternalreflection wrote:I missed this when it happened, but its pretty good

http://www.break.com/index/bert_blyleve ... ve_tv.html

oops
:lastweek:
I <3 Employee.

Peeping Tom

Post by Peeping Tom »

9 Strikeouts in 7 innings of work 1 H

we better win this motherfuckin game tonight

if we do and the A's lose

4 behind baby
Barstow CA:
myspace.com/clintonwayne

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

^^ sadly the A's are up 4-2 bottom8(Oak at home) good for the Twins

Santana struggled for 4innings, then was his usual dominant self for the next 4

but Gardy is retarded with his bullpen sometimes

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

rich hill is the future

yr gangsta conscience
Baseball America

Post by yr gangsta conscience »

rich hill is definitely a confusing pitcher

remember those stats I showed you, jason?

his stats from the last 2 years

Triple-A: 12-2, 2.61, 158 IP, 213 K, 34 BB, .201, 14 HR

Majors: 0-6, 9.21, 43 IP, 32 K, 32 BB, .284, 8 HR

(this was from a few weeks back)

not taking into account his late good outings, nevertheless - his AAA game is beastmode.

he has one of the nastiest curves I've ever seen. and a very quality fastball, low 90s and has great command (in AAA) anyways.

I love his potential,
he could be barry zito-lite,

but I'm afraid he'll become denneys reyes or ray king.

one comparison I read about his curveball was spot-on,
its like rolling a ball across a table,
and when it reaches the break it just drops off

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

I find it funny that you watch AAA games like you know something but you're constantly getting general major league shit wrong.

BTW, where do you watch these AAA games? I didn't even think those things were ever actually televised. Do you go to them games with those free airline tickets or something?
I <3 Employee.

yr gangsta conscience
Baseball America

yeah. I only pay attention to the minors because I know nothing of the majors.

you can watch game clips on each teams website, can listen to the radio, people will share videos with you, or you just make it a point to see any prospects you can when they're in town and called up.
every year at the all star break their are a lot of minor league all star/futures games televised

I've seen rich hill a few times on WGN,
sometimes I fly to see games.
I did to catch chad billingsley and matt kemp vs the twins, and to see prince fielder last year right after he was called up.

there's this gamecast thing on MILB's website that shows pitch by pitch updates, just like the MLB one.

if you read scouting reports and stay in the loop on people and their projected potential, its not that hard to piece it together and form your own opinions off of stats, whatever parts you can see or hear, their *stuff* and the 20-80 scale

which is why I'm not so high on jered weaver, yeah he's good. but it was widely thought he was moreorless at his peak when he was drafted, wasn't going to add great speed, or refine his pitches all that much.

and your first time through the league can be your best chance to take advantage, especially with such a deceptive delivery which IMO is the main reason for his sucess.

stats can tell you so much more than most people think, even pictures and looking at someones frame/the way their built. I've always thought rocco baldelli could have a lot more power because of his frame, and once he filled out more.
the same is the general consensus on alexis rios, people initially compared him to juan gonzalez but that's a bit of a stretch.

he's definitely got the body type to be a huge power guy, 30+ a year but his swing has for the most part been very flat.
last year he was crushing line drive doubles, where if he had used a more uppercut approach it and gotten the bottom half of the ball, he would've been hitting a nice number of those doubles as HR's

in the minor leagues a lot of focus is on BB/K, and doubles for people with power potential. many people assume those doubles turn into home runs as they fill out and become more polished.

but you can also have a ton of sucess with huge flaws that will ruin you, brandon wood the shortstop for the angels, (who should actually play 3rd base, he's not a good enough SS plus the angels have a guy I see as a rafael furcal type who is much better) had 100+ extra base hits last year, and was teetering in the top 2 in all of the minors this year, but his strikeouts are insane. his avg was fine. but its not very believable when you're striking out 175 times while rarely walking, to keep a good avg especially in the pros. I think he's one of the, if not the most, overrated prospects in baseball.

anyways.

useless information

ripweblo
pork

Post by ripweblo »

damn flying to see minor leaguers get called up and maybe go 1-4? thats a dedicated baseball fan rite there. farthest ill go is baseball amrica.com pete gammons jr u should put up a list of who u think the best prospects out there are

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

ripweblo wrote:damn flying to see minor leaguers get called up and maybe go 1-4? thats a dedicated baseball fan rite there. farthest ill go is baseball amrica.com pete gammons jr u should put up a list of who u think the best prospects out there are
Well if you have free airline tickets to go anywhere you want ti makes sense.

I just figured most of his opinions on minor leaguers is based on all the other opinions he reads about, which doesn't impress we with any actual baseball knowledge. I only skimmed that huge post but that's the general idea I got.
I <3 Employee.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Philaflava wrote:rich hill is the future
Good thing I just picked him up as a free agent in the fantasy league
I <3 Employee.

yr gangsta conscience
Baseball America

I don't really know what you expect myjah, do you want me to ignore the scouting reports and the opinions I hear or read? maybe that's why you think Garret Jones is a great prospect.

ripweblo - eh,
as far as outfielders,
Delmon Young is insane. I wouldn't be surprised if he hits .285+ 20-30 home runs, and steals about the same. and that will be as a 21 year old

I really like Jeremy Hermida,
his plat discipline is incredible.
I like him more than francouer,
Hermida could be sizemore-esque

the tigers have a kid named cameron maybin who put up some good numbers this year, he's still young and a ways away from the majors but he should be a beast.
a poor mans griffey or something like that.

right now its kind of funny how few 1st base prospects there are, 3rd base is deep as hell when considerng the MLB+MILB,
I think alex gordon for KC will be the AL David Wright, assuming he stays at 3rd.
KC kinda fucked themselves with the corner infielders,
mark teahan (3rd) really came on after being recalled, and they have ryan shealy + justin huber who are both stuck at 1st or DH, neither are athletic enough to play the OF. alex gordon should play 3rd, there's no real reason to move him, and Billy Butler should play 1st or DH though he could play LF I suppose. either way, that's too many 3rd/1st/DH guys for the positions available.

pitching wise, I think felix hernandez is going to be the best pitchers in the majors for a long time. Homer Bailey for the reds should be a fireballer and a legit ace,
I think verlander is better than some people give him credit for, I think lirianos overrated, I think chad billingsley is great and should be a tad better than matt cain

there really are no relief prospects,
you kind of get stuck there when you can't hack it as a starter.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Whitesox are crumbling, going to miss the playoffs, and with the way they are playing, the final 3games vs MN aren't going to matter

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

yr gangsta conscience wrote:I don't really know what you expect myjah, do you want me to ignore the scouting reports and the opinions I hear or read? maybe that's why you think Garret Jones is a great prospect.
No, I just don't want you to read and learn the opinions of people who actually watch and know minor league baseball and try to pass the same opinions off as your own. I talk about major league baseball because I watch and follow major league baseball; this doesn't mean I don't pay attention to reporter's opnions on baseball, but that I form my opinion mainly on what I see with my own eyes. If I didn't actually watch baseball (and watching two to five games a year does not count as watching baseball) I wouldn't try to express opinions on it.
I <3 Employee.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Myjah wrote:
yr gangsta conscience wrote:I don't really know what you expect myjah, do you want me to ignore the scouting reports and the opinions I hear or read? maybe that's why you think Garret Jones is a great prospect.
No, I just don't want you to read and learn the opinions of people who actually watch and know minor league baseball and try to pass the same opinions off as your own. I talk about major league baseball because I watch and follow major league baseball; this doesn't mean I don't pay attention to reporter's opnions on baseball, but that I form my opinion mainly on what I see with my own eyes. If I didn't actually watch baseball (and watching two to five games a year does not count as watching baseball) I wouldn't try to express opinions on it.
Leave the cat alone, he likes to follow minor league baseball and see who's up and coming. He gets other peoples opinions then adds them into a pool of information that he listed in his other post (games on the net, stats, games in person, video footage of said player etc) then forms his own opinion. Hes more knowledgeable about up and coming prospects then the majority of people on this board and prolly most baseball fans in general. Basically because he hated on few guys on your twins team and in their system your hating on him. He has his opinions and if you guys are still posting here in say 4-5 years you can call him out then. For we know liriano could win 5 cy youngs, but on the flip side he could tear up his elbow (that hes had probles with thoughout his young career) have tommy johns and never be the same. Same for every other prospect he has an opnion about players in your organization doesnt mean you have to try and attack him any chance you get. Leave the dude be im tired of all the back and forth between you about stupid shit.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

ripweblo - eh,
as far as outfielders,
Delmon Young is insane. I wouldn't be surprised if he hits .285+ 20-30 home runs, and steals about the same. and that will be as a 21 year old

I really like Jeremy Hermida,
his plat discipline is incredible.
I like him more than francouer,
Hermida could be sizemore-esque

the tigers have a kid named cameron maybin who put up some good numbers this year, he's still young and a ways away from the majors but he should be a beast.
a poor mans griffey or something like that.

right now its kind of funny how few 1st base prospects there are, 3rd base is deep as hell when considerng the MLB+MILB,
I think alex gordon for KC will be the AL David Wright, assuming he stays at 3rd.
KC kinda fucked themselves with the corner infielders,
mark teahan (3rd) really came on after being recalled, and they have ryan shealy + justin huber who are both stuck at 1st or DH, neither are athletic enough to play the OF. alex gordon should play 3rd, there's no real reason to move him, and Billy Butler should play 1st or DH though he could play LF I suppose. either way, that's too many 3rd/1st/DH guys for the positions available.

pitching wise, I think felix hernandez is going to be the best pitchers in the majors for a long time. Homer Bailey for the reds should be a fireballer and a legit ace,
I think verlander is better than some people give him credit for, I think lirianos overrated, I think chad billingsley is great and should be a tad better than matt cain

there really are no relief prospects,
you kind of get stuck there when you can't hack it as a starter.
yeah, wtf is up with KC

butler can fucking rake the ball and gordon is supposed to be the truth. some of the shit gordon was doing at nebraska was for real. but the royals have, like yr gangsta said, way too many corner IF prospects. i actually heard they are thinking about putting gordon out there.

homer bailey is probably the best LHP prospect that hasn't seen the majors yet.

phil hughes, justin upton, stephen drew, kendrick, tulowtzki are all for real imo.

i heard great things about maybin but i want to see him for myself. send me (or link me) some clips, shoe.

mark rogers is supposed to be nasty too but a little inconsistent right now.