College Football

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

LilLeftBrain

Re: College Football

Post by LilLeftBrain »

wow, crushing picks in both games on
moved by duck muscles

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

hey mizzou! good job, good effort.

ric

Post by ric »

loving this ucla shit. pellinis face was like a guy who is about to be crushed by an oncoming freight train but couldnt do anything about it.

uw v lsu was highly disappointing and i expected to lose and shit. but oh well. life moves on.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

watching mizz/uga, ucla/neb in tight games, ark/la-monroe in OT all at once is about as exciting as this shit gets. was riding a high there that only comes from college football. :bow: :bow: bless this shit
moved by duck muscles

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

:rofl: at Colorado and Arkansas losing to FCS teams. You're supposed to pay those schools and kick that ass, not to pay THEM to whup that ass. That's some trick shit.

ric

Post by ric »

fucking amazing win by ulmonroe. wish i couldve seen it.

Spiccoli

Post by Spiccoli »

possibly a huge day for Pac 12

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

I take back what I said about Arkansas. Apparently, ULM is not an FCS team, but they're so irrelevant, they might as well be.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Prophecy wrote:Greatest comeback in our young program's history. FYI you can't cover The Freakshow (best nickname in college football).
Just a tremendous win. I recently moved into a new apartment (little over a mile from Raymond James) and I'm fairly confident we're getting evicted due to multiple noise complaints in such a short span of time. Don't know how it happened with all the penalties, drops (I don't know how many it was precisely, it felt like a lot), and our run defense (I'll chalk it up to Nevada being Nevada and running a system that most can't figure out properly), but fuck it. A W is a W. Freakshow was the MVP, absolutely. And despite a few errant throws (maybe closer to 7/8, whatever), I thought BJ was fantastic today.

Bring on the Jersey trash.

EDIT: Also went to the USF soccer game against Iona tonight, won that shit too. Go Bulls, mother fuckers.

alpha

Post by alpha »

"I'll chalk it up to Nevada being Nevada and running a system that most can't figure out properly"
2nd time I've seen this in this thread. They run the pistol. Lots of teams run that formation now. You guys that behind the times in FL? You hear about this new offense called the triple option?

Kid That's Lifeless

The last time Nevada wasn't in the top 5 for offensive yards per game was Kaepernick's freshman year in 2007 (they finished 7th overall). It's an incredibly difficult offense to stop.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

alpha wrote:"I'll chalk it up to Nevada being Nevada and running a system that most can't figure out properly"
2nd time I've seen this in this thread. They run the pistol. Lots of teams run that formation now. You guys that behind the times in FL? You hear about this new offense called the triple option?
they might line up that way but it ain't the same. this year they've added run and shoot concepts to the passing game.

alpha

Post by alpha »

thought my sarcasm would be more apparent. :fail:

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

alpha wrote:"I'll chalk it up to Nevada being Nevada and running a system that most can't figure out properly"

Lots of teams run that formation very few Ron their whole offense through the pistol. Also other team's aren't coached by the godfather of the pistol offense.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Notre Dame's independence, born of prejudice nearly a century ago, will die of asphyxiation. With the announcement Wednesday morning that the school will play five football games a year against Atlantic Coast Conference opponents as a condition of its league membership in all other ACC-sponsored sports, the Fighting Irish are still, barely, independent.
Mike and Mike in the Morning

But the vital signs of Notre Dame's ability to forge its own path have weakened over the two-decade life of the BCS and its antecedents. That independence has been central to the Catholic university's identity since it was forced upon them nearly a century ago. Michigan athletic director Fielding (Hurry Up) Yost led a movement to blackball Notre Dame from what is now the Big Ten Conference.

Forced to fend for itself, Notre Dame did just that. It became the most popular team in America, thanks to the millions of first- and second-generation Catholic immigrants from all across Europe. The Fighting Irish climbed to the top of the football polls thanks to the descendants of those immigrants, players with names such as Bertelli and Lujack, Stuhldreher and Connor.

Wednesday's announcement underlined how long ago that was. Notre Dame won eight AP national championships in only 46 years: four in an eight-year period from 1943 to 1949, and four more from 1949 to 1988. Its longest drought in that time was 17 years. But Notre Dame hasn't won a national championship since 1988, a 24-year drought that shows no signs of abating.

It was in the wake of that last national title that the first predecessor of the BCS, the Bowl Coalition, came to life on a cocktail napkin in the hand of the late ACC associate commissioner Tom Mickle. Notre Dame had just brandished its independence by breaking its bonds with the College Football Association in order to sign a television contract with NBC.

As upset as the CFA schools (all the conferences but the Big Ten and Pac-10) were with Notre Dame, they couldn't make a Bowl Coalition deal without it. Notre Dame came in as an equal partner with the other conferences.

But as Notre Dame's performance on the field has waned, and as the Bowl Coalition begat the Bowl Alliance that became the BCS, the school's influence within the BCS waned, too. It is no longer an equal partner with the other conferences.

Irish football has done little to help itself. Since Lou Holtz retired in 1996, the coaches who followed him have all proved that they can win more games than they lose, which is as damning with faint praise as you will read today.

It's hard to say which is the chicken and which is the egg. It is obvious that the ACC is an improvement for Notre Dame's other sports. But since when would Notre Dame give up nearly half of its football schedule to provide a home for the men's basketball team?

The fact is that the BCS that Notre Dame helped form has altered the landscape of college sports so that conference affiliation is all. The muscular Notre Dame that was there at the creation, a team you could pencil into the top 10, has gone the way of flannel grunge and Wu-Tang Clan CDs. In its place is a school that, if it didn't make the BCS lineup, was having trouble finding a bowl game worthy of its tradition.

Notre Dame was powerful enough to join the Big East in 1995 without surrendering any of its football independence. Contrast that with today, when Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said in a news release that the deal with the ACC will "maintain our historic independence in football."

Technically, he is correct. But it is independence by a vote of 7-5. Notre Dame will play seven games against whomever it chooses, and five games against the ACC. It is a weaker, meeker Notre Dame that made a deal with the ACC, the Monty Python knight yelling, "merely a flesh wound" as it loses limb after limb. Notre Dame has made sacrifices that the university and its partisans never dreamed would have to be made even a decade ago.

Notre Dame is not a full-fledged member of the ACC yet. But the trend is unmistakable.

ric

Post by ric »

Spiccoli wrote:possibly a huge day for Pac 12
just saw that arizona beat oklahoma state. HOLY SHIT this is gonna be an awesome season

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

dumb ol' punt muffer
watching some big east! (l)
moved by duck muscles

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

this is one of the most boring games I've ever seen. severely lacking energy on all sides of the ball.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

didn't watch most of the 3rd, but the 4th has had a good energy
the would be pick that cruised through dudes fingertips only to be caught at the 1 was pretty dope
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

hey man, nice spin
peace to the bulls dudes
moved by duck muscles

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Two big Bay Area college match ups. Cal finna get stomped by the Urban Meyers and the Matt Barkleys gonna buttfuck the Cards. Shit sucks yo.

PEACE

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

holy shit @ auburns hail mary. t
oo sweet
moved by duck muscles

Kid That's Lifeless

That kid on Cal :ohsh:

ric

Post by ric »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:That kid on Cal :ohsh:
fucking sick run

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Cal showing some guts

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

oh yeah, :rofl: VA Tech

PEACE

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

ahh as they go for 85. pitt will be 0-3, truss
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

or not.
cal over osu would make up for that though
moved by duck muscles

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

This would be an unbelievable win for the Pac-12 if Cal can hang on.

#Ohhowihate the Ohio St.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

bam bam
bung bung
moved by duck muscles