2014 MLB Season Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

jredd109

Re: 2014 MLB Season Thread

Post by jredd109 »

Reason wrote:nevermindholy fuck

any0one else think that cvould have gone foul if he let it dribble?

maybe.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

of course Salvador Perez gets the game winning hit lol

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

Chokeland A's...

alpha

Post by alpha »

Fucking ouch. I'd feel bad but stats evened out and Billy gambled too hard on that cespedes trade. No reason they don't have a good season next year tho.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

We livin this til the day that we die. Survival of the fit only the strong survive.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Yo. Fuck the dumb shit (football). That was some entertaining sport. But uh...

WHY THE FUCK ISNT THERE A GODDAMN PLAYOFF BASEBALL THREAD?!!!?

We outchea lettin Greco roman aggrevated sex crimes, Fascist kickball and all other savage games get their shine without repercussions, but no American pastime? We gotta do better. As a people. It's our obligation

PEACE

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Playoffs start Thursday, Wolf breh.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Jayou Ayen wrote:Playoffs start Thursday, Wolf breh.

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

ohhhh word this the thread for A's fans.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

is where all the A's fans suddenly start rooting for the Giants tonight?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

alpha wrote:Fucking ouch. I'd feel bad but stats evened out and Billy gambled too hard on that cespedes trade. No reason they don't have a good season next year tho.
Blaming the Yoenis trade is just a lazy and terrible narrative.
Cespedes isn't even a good offensive player, had a .301 OBP this year and he didn't do shit after the trade in Boston either. He's a slightly above average outfielder at best.
To me it looks like Beane was right all along. He recognized that his team was due for some major regression and brought in some of the best players available as reinforcements.
No way the A's even make the 1-game playoff without trading for Lester/Samardzija.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
alpha wrote:Fucking ouch. I'd feel bad but stats evened out and Billy gambled too hard on that cespedes trade. No reason they don't have a good season next year tho.
Cespedes isn't even a good offensive player, had a .301 OBP this year and he didn't do shit after the trade in Boston either. He's a slightly above average outfielder at best.
To me it looks like Beane was right all along. He recognized that his team was due for some major regression and brought in some of the best players available as reinforcements.
No way the A's even make the 1-game playoff without trading for Lester/Samardzija.
so, just a coincidence that the team went to shit pretty much right when the trade happened?

alpha

Post by alpha »

Advanced statistics don't recognize coincidences.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

jredd109 wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:
so, just a coincidence that the team went to shit pretty much right when the trade happened?
Yea, kinda. Whats not a coincidence is that an offense comprised of mediocre talent that was on a record setting pace for the first half of the season fell apart. But it was a bad idea to trade away anyone who was a remotely talented hitter. If anything, they should have been trying to move for more bats at the deadline, rather than try to win a championship with a lineup built around guys like Brandon Moss, Derek Norris, John Jaso, Coco Crisp & Steven Vogt.

PEACE

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The offense wasn't anemic last night, that's for sure. KC is a fun group to watch and clearly they're going to be the underdogs the rest of the way. I just don't see how their line-up which is full of underachievers and duds can compete with either the Angels or Tigers. Pitching wise, I think they're pretty solid 1-3.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Chokeland Pathetics at it again.
UBM CD COMING SOON

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I think the A's still managed to finish with a positive run differential on the season. But they went from averaging like 5 runs a game to 3, or something horrific during their collapse. Those guys I mentioned are talented, but they'd be the worst lineup to win a championship since the minor league Giants in 2010

PEACE

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

#BLUEOCTOBER
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

jredd109 wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:

Yes. Correlation doesn't equal causation. They teach you that shit in middle school.
The team was just as likely to go to shit with Cespedes as it did without him.
Again, Yoenis is NOT a star player. He has a star name cause he's cuban and he's been in some AS games, but he's way more Dayan Viciedo than a Puig or that other guy on the white sox.

Forget sabermetrics, just looking at this from an old-school statistical perspective, what is more valuable to a team?

A corner outfielder with a .296 OBP and just 5 HR in 51 games (with replacement level defense)
OR
A starting pitcher who throws 76 innings with a 2.35 ERA, a 1.07 WHIP and 71 strikeouts?

Beane traded an overrated asset for a much better one, and his team probably wouldn't have made the playoffs without doing so.
The best bats available were guys like Marlon Byrd and Martin Prado. None of them could have made the positive impact that Lester did.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

It would have been interesting to see what type of hitter they could have got for Russell

PEACE

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

LOL at Abreu getting no respect by Bunz.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

George Springer ROY 2014 4eva.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Philaflava wrote:LOL at Abreu getting no respect by Bunz.
who's Jose Abreu?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

As overrated as Cespedes is, he should have a significantly better season in Boston than he ever did in Oakland next year.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Yup. He's gonna crush. I expect the Red Sox to sign at least one of the three good pitchers available (probably Scherzer) this offseason, and with that lineup they should contend again next season.

PEACE

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Somehow I feel Dodgers are gonna be all in on Mad Max. Hamels would be their first option but I can't see him being moved at all.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

That's the other thing about Cespedes though that causes people to overrate him. He's not young like the other Cuban stars, he's going to be 29 this month. Its very likely that we already have seen the best of him. His numbers might be artificially inflated playing in Fenway as opposed to the Coliseum, but I doubt his WAR goes up very much.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

If they sign him to a 2-3 year deal they won't care as long as Papi gets protection in his final years as a player. In that park he can hit 35 easily next year.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I'd be surprised if the Dodgers spend the like $200M its gonna take to get Scherzer. If Ryu is OK, they have a lot of expensive top of the rotation talent already. I'd think they are more likely to get quality guys who are a tier below the Shields/Lester/Scherzer class to fill out the rest of their staff. Somebody like Liriano/Santana/Peavy/McCarthy. Zach Lee should have a shot at joining their rotation outta spring too.

PEACE

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The committee, which was formed earlier this month and consists of MLB, MLBPA, and team executives, made recommendations that will be tried during the Arizona Fall League, which runs from Oct. 7 through Nov. 15. They range from the no-brainer to the radical:
Hitters must keep at least one foot inside the batter's box at all times, barring exceptions like foul balls, wild pitches, or if the umpire grants him time out.
Pitchers must throw a pitch within 20 seconds of receiving the ball. Clocks posted in each dugout will count down the 20 seconds.
There will be a maximum break between innings of 2:05, with a clock keeping track. Hitters must be in the batter's box by 1:45. If the hitter's not ready, the umpire can call a strike. If the pitcher doesn't throw a pitch by 2:05, the umpire can call a ball.
Teams will have a maximum of 2:30 to change pitchers, with the clock starting as soon as the reliever enters the playing field.
Teams are limited to a maximum of three mound visits per game, not including pitching changes. This applies to trips to the mound by managers, coaches, and catchers.
Pitchers no longer have to deliver four balls for an intentional walk. The manager can simply signal to the umpire.