2014-15 NBA Off-Season Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Re: 2014-15 NBA Off-Season Thread

Post by capable_keL »

Reason wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote:
Reason wrote::naswtf:

wanna rethink that post or elaborate? think very carefully about the difference between college/nba when reconsidering your answer or using any small sample statistic
I like wiggins more then him, but Nate Duncan describes his trouble at the rim pretty good.
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/2014- ... ng-report/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While he is a fantastic leaper with great length, he does not often translate those physical gifts into finishing that befits them. One interesting study by Dean Demakis, conducted through January 31*, showed that Wiggins had dunked on only three of 44 finishes at the rim in the halfcourt. During the season, he really only had two or three spectacular dunks on an opposing defender. But more troubling than the relative paucity of dunks is how many layups he misses. Great finishers have a knack for it, possessing the ability to feel the defense and maneuver the ball and their body to avoid the block and still make the shot. Wiggins just does not have that feel right now, and he misses a ton of layups. The video below (also by Demakis) shows a number of Wiggins’ missed layups. It is truly disconcerting how many easy finishes he simply cannot convert. He shot 63 percent at the rim according to Hoop-Math.com, a disappointing figure for a player of his athleticism who gets out in transition as often as he does.
lol, this is WAY too easy. no, natty. he did not explain it "very good":

defending wiggins here is beyond easy.

- the biggest reason is terrible point guard play. in fact, non-existent. NOBODY said wiggins can take people off the dribble like lebron or even durant. so given that fact, nobody is asking him to do that right? cool.

WIGGINS HAD THE WORST POINT GUARDS. he had NO FUCKING HELP from point. so let me get this straight, your'e asking a guy who doesn't have those dribble-drive or move-separation skills yet to be judged on that very skill we already admitted he doesn't have quite developed yet at this point?

LOOK AT THE VIDEO. almost ALL of the misses are on these dribble-drive moves, their point guard play is so pathetic these are almost all plays where it's literally the point guard at the top of the key passing him the ball to the wing and then wiggins driving past his initial man on sheer speed alone and then getting bumped by two or more defenders near the hoop.

- wiggins PLAYED AGAINST ZONE DEFENSES THAT COULD COLLAPSE FIVE PEOPLE ON YOU LEGALLY BY THE TIME YOU GOT TO THE RIM (that was my "think carefully about the difference between nba and college" point, well, among other differences)

- again look at the video. second play of the video. wiggins is FOULED before he goes into the jumpstop into 2 defenders before missing. third play of the video?. AGAIN FOULED on his lay-up attempt. there are SO many non-calls during the season that would've been fouls in the nba because of superior referees and should've been fouls well before some of his attempts even went up. in the nba he's going to cause so many teams to get into the penalty and just go to the line like a machine.

- he's EIGHTEEN YEARS OLD IN THESE VIDEOS. turned 19 in late february.

- that video shows highlights from 6 conference games, typically the toughest of the 'regular season' schedule, 3 of which were on the road

- as far as nate duncan? he's the most sterile, harmless writer i've ever read. he's like a stenograph. and the fact that he referenced "3 or 4 spectacular dunks" as an actual criticism or point is hilarious. wtf does 'spectacular' mean in the context of being good at basketball? he didn't have flashy dunks so he should be worried about? fuck outta here. wiggins personality is NOT flashy. he doesn't try to do windmills or double pumps or what have you - he didn't in high school, he didn't in high school all-star/aau events, he never did. the fact that this faggot thinks 'spectacular dunks' are relevant is all i have to say about any validity behind his point. if you ever read his articles they read like data from star trek wrote them. he never makes a bold or unique observation and he doesn't go in-depth to actually shed light on something others may not have seen. he's a regurgitating lawyer faggot.

- wiggins has grown in height and bulk and weight

- wiggins has clearly improved his handle

- WIGGINS IS PLAYING WITH RICKY FUCKING RUBIO

RICKY RUBIO.

let's see how worried you are about wiggins' ability to finish around the rim in the season when he's in space with actual teammates who can pass

- btw i love how there is no follow-up video showing his 41 points against west virginia, etc. in fact the VERY next 10-12 games he is basically unfuckwithable and is finishing all over motherfuckers or getting the calls AVERAGING 10 FREE THROW ATTEMPTS A GAME after averaging only 7 the rest of the games before that.

- if you watched thepreseason twolves games you wouldn't worry for half a second, wiggins is a fucking freak and he knows how to use/move/protect/leverage his body with extreme balance, he's an absolute freak in every way athletically, i'm convinced he could be a gymnast

i've said it before and i'll say it again. i honestly don't think i've ever seen anyone SECOND jump for a putback of his own lay-up before any defender jumped for a FIRST time...since rodman i guess, but i dunno, i saw him mostly in san antonio/chicago when he was slightly less athletic and he wasn't a guy who put up his own shot much (although when he did he often padded his offensive rebounds hehe), maybe he did that shit routinely on detroit though

:icedit:

^^

just look at the couple plays there he gets fouls (correctly) called in his favor. NO FUCKING WAY those would have been called fouls by some of those bum-ass college refs swayed by home fans cheering a thousand times louder than any nba crowd but okc's. just re-watched this video after posting it and had to point it out cuz it was so fitting.

:jiz: :jiz:

:mrcee:
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

btw the play is at 1:35-ish in the second video, he second jumps before the guy who is right in the middle of the paint is about to jump but then sees wiggins already ascending and decides against it

craziest part? his second jump comes after being bodied (arguable foul) on the initial lay-up attempt. dude has crazy wiry strength.
Nets 2022

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Gotta concur with Reason's take on Nate Duncan. He's one boring motherfucker

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Giannis bout to start at PG for the Bucks tonight tho

PEACE

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

peanut butter wrote:Giannis bout to start at PG for the Bucks tonight tho

PEACE

he ran point last game too, even in crunch time/4th quarter

shit was thrilling. there were a couple plays he either got the def reb or a quick outlet from a teammate and he just took like 6 or 7 steps to get to the opposite free throw line for a jump-stop/euro/lay-up opportunity or to dish it off to a teammate running with him on a wing
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

btw pb kerr is an amazing offensive coach. i'd be shocked if gstate isn't 1st or 2nd in ppg this year
Nets 2022

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Reason wrote:btw pb kerr is an amazing offensive coach. i'd be shocked if gstate isn't 1st or 2nd in ppg this year
Agreed. I am really impressed by what I've seen so far. Just the motion in the offense, and Kerr's willingness to use the bigs passing capabilities has been really encouraging. And he seems to have gotten through to Harrison Barnes to be more aggressive and go at the rim without hesitation. I'm trying to not get too excited until I see what his rotations look like and how the defense shapes up, but in general, I think the Dubs are in for a really nice season. They could be a top 3 team.

Klay looked fucking great in the world championships too, so hopefully that, combined with his contract year and the faith that Kerr showed in him to not ship him to Minnesota pays off. I wanna see him be a more willing passer this year tho. Last year he was just a black hole in terms of just getting the ball and going up with it. If he can buy into the system and realize he's gonna get his shots regardless, he'll be better off for it.

But yea man, I'm with you. They look really good.

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

Can't wait either. Thanks for the write up

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

nerd heaven article:

http://grantland.com/features/how-rebounds-work/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nets 2022

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

peanut butter wrote:Gotta concur with Reason's take on Nate Duncan. He's one boring motherfucker

PEACE
Why all the Duncan hate? He is not the most exciting writer in the world, but he actually know basketball (and from I read can play too). He doesn't just quote numbers, he can say exactly what someone does right and wrong. I honestly see a lot more of him on twitter then his articles, but I like him.

Rzn, the part he was talking about dunk was not as simple as you are trying to make it out to be. He is saying for someone who everyone says is a highlight reel and who plays so high above the rim he actually is not able to do so that great when there is people there. Like I said, I like Wiggins more then Duncan, and I agree his 2nd jump is crazy, but I do not like what I see from him when he is finishing in traffic. Some of that is he is a little sloppy getting there because his handle, but a lot to me looks like he is just not comfortable adjusting his shot.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

will you at least clarify your opinion by admitting you are judging him based off limited viewing of him i kansas and agenda-riddled youtube clups that give no context?

how do u reply without acknowledging that in the nba he will have rubio passing to him not tharpe or mason and he will have man-to-man defenses not zones that collapse and he will have good refs, he is bigger and better now than at that point, etc.

you r boggling my mind defending duncan here
Nets 2022

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

naturalborn103 wrote:
peanut butter wrote:Gotta concur with Reason's take on Nate Duncan. He's one boring motherfucker

PEACE
Why all the Duncan hate? He is not the most exciting writer in the world, but he actually know basketball (and from I read can play too). He doesn't just quote numbers, he can say exactly what someone does right and wrong. I honestly see a lot more of him on twitter then his articles, but I like him
I think I was pretty clear. He's boring as fuck. As a reader, I gauge a writer by his ability to entertain before his ability to educate. And if a writer forgoes entertainment on the quest to educate, then he's not doing his job. I'm from the Free Darko > Zachary Lowe camp. Nate Duncan isn't entertaining. And I don't care deeply enough about X and O analysis to slog through thousands of words that make me want to go to sleep.

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

That drive from the perimeter to the fade away tho

PEACE

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Clippers still the best team in Cali, fall back golden state faggots
UBM CD COMING SOON

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Yall only lukewarm for a minute tho. And thats solely because the previous power-crazed commissioner felt it necessary to intervene and get your racist, slumlord, closeted faggot of an owner (who was disgraced after losing his temper over suspicions that his transvestite lover was fucking the owner of the team that yall share the Staples Center with) a superstar because having a perennial cellar dweller headquartered in the league's second biggest market was an embarrassment of disastrous proportions. And yall still aint done shit. So until proven otherwise, your legacy is, and remains, Bill Fitch and Loy Vaught.

PEACE

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

peanut butter wrote:Yall only lukewarm for a minute tho. And thats solely because the previous power-crazed commissioner felt it necessary to intervene and get your racist, slumlord, closeted faggot of an owner (who was disgraced after losing his temper over suspicions that his transvestite lover was fucking the owner of the team that yall share the Staples Center with) a superstar because having a perennial cellar dweller headquartered in the league's second biggest market was an embarrassment of disastrous proportions. And yall still aint done shit. So until proven otherwise, your legacy is, and remains, Bill Fitch and Loy Vaught.

PEACE
LOL says the boy that came up in the WE BELIEVE hype BART train faggot era . Niggas still watching game tape of 1975 NBA championship series to legitimize your soft batch ass team. Your glory years are Andres Biedrins and Al Harrington. You probably went to a Warriors playoff party after they lost to the Clippers in the 1ST ROUND last year claiming you guys were contending for the championship.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Grown men arguing over two teams that haven't made it past the 2nd round in their lifetimes.
#alphaera

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Reason wrote:will you at least clarify your opinion by admitting you are judging him based off limited viewing of him i kansas and agenda-riddled youtube clups that give no context?
I am sure you have seen more then me, but I am judging him off more then one article and one youtube video.
Reason wrote:how do u reply without acknowledging that in the nba he will have rubio passing to him not tharpe or mason and he will have man-to-man defenses not zones that collapse and he will have good refs, he is bigger and better now than at that point, etc.
I have been real busy last few months so only summer league and preseason stuff I have seen is little bit of Exum, so I can't judge where Wiggins is at now. He should get to the line, but my only point was that what I saw of him he missed a LOT of makable shots at the rim because he did not look comfortable finishing in traffic. In most of those he did the hard part of getting there, but just didn't adjust right.
Reason wrote:you r boggling my mind defending duncan here
I can understand PB not liking Duncan for reasons he stated, but you seem like someone who would love him. He knows basketball very well and is much better at breaking down players/teams strengths and weakness then most other writers. I do like him a lot more on twitter during games then his articles after. He points out thing I do not notice before.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:
peanut butter wrote:Yall only lukewarm for a minute tho. And thats solely because the previous power-crazed commissioner felt it necessary to intervene and get your racist, slumlord, closeted faggot of an owner (who was disgraced after losing his temper over suspicions that his transvestite lover was fucking the owner of the team that yall share the Staples Center with) a superstar because having a perennial cellar dweller headquartered in the league's second biggest market was an embarrassment of disastrous proportions. And yall still aint done shit. So until proven otherwise, your legacy is, and remains, Bill Fitch and Loy Vaught.

PEACE
LOL says the boy that came up in the WE BELIEVE hype BART train faggot era . Niggas still watching game tape of 1975 NBA championship series to legitimize your soft batch ass team. Your glory years are Andres Biedrins and Al Harrington. You probably went to a Warriors playoff party after they lost to the Clippers in the 1ST ROUND last year claiming you guys were contending for the championship.
Nah, b, you got it twisted per usual. The kid comes from the era of listening to Keith Jennings and Chris Gatling on spotty radio transmissions. Can't tell me shit about We Believe because I Survived fuckin Donyell Marshall and God damnit we deserved to shine. So despite it being your modus operandi, there's no need to act brand new (which frankly, is almost understandable, considering the deplorable history of your squad, which needed the basketball equivalent of divine intervention to save your team from itself). But fuck 06-07 tho. Cuz the glory years are upon us.

PEACE

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Tweak Da Leak wrote: Your glory years are Andres Biedrins and Al Harrington.
LMAO

shots fired

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

LeBron looking beastly

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

capable_keL wrote:LeBron looking beastly

PEACE

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

^^
that

lebron in second half of this meaningless but effortful performance = oh yea he is the best basketball player in the universe moment
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

peanut butter wrote:
Reason wrote:greek freak + wiggins?

imagine if larry sanders stopped smoking pot? wiggins - 3, gfreak - 4, sanders - 5

would other teams ever score?
I'm sayin tho. And the fastbreak offense? Just a sprint to the rim and all the PG needs to do is run the middle of the floor and toss up the lob. Get a few shooters to space the floor for the halfcourt offense and let those guys work going toward the rim....shit. I can't remember the last time I gave a fuck about Bucks basketball, but this will pretty much change everything. Also, cant wait for Silver to carry on the legacy of Stern fixing the draft and reward the new Bucks ownership with the first pick for agreeing to keep the team in Milwaukee.

PEACE

stumbled across this and still wish it were true (sry kel)
Nets 2022

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Yea but Rubio/LaVine/Wiggins is a pretty nice consolation prize

PEACE

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

peanut butter wrote:Yea but Rubio/LaVine/Wiggins is a pretty nice consolation prize

PEACE
:killacam: :cheers:

like the offensive bizarro version of freak/wiggy/sanders lol
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

through several games of preseason, marcus smart is exactly what i thought he'd be

i watched both knicks/celtics games and otherwise watched his fulll-game youtube highlights and so far he is EXACTLY what i thought

- great physical defender, will rack up steals without being an iverson-gambler-at-the-risk-of-his-team-defense, but prone to a mental mistake every now and then

- incredibly inconsistent long range and free throw shooter

- incredibly adept/explosive at getting into the lane

- a turnover machine, little touch on his passes, seems to think before he passes on some of the more on-the-fly decisions
Nets 2022

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

which is better

the bounce brothers or dunk yard dogs

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

i totally agree with a 66 game season, no back-to-back's

but then the G.O.A.T. just slaps me down to size

"I love both of those guys, but as an owner who played the game, I loved playing,'' Jordan, who owns the Charlotte Hornets, told ESPN during a telephone interview. "If I wasn't playing 82 games, I still would've been playing somewhere else because that's the love for the game I had. As a player, I never thought 82 games was an issue.
"But if that's what they want to do, we as owners and players can evaluate it and talk about it. But we'd make less money as partners. Are they ready to give up money to play fewer games? That's the question, because you can't make the same amount of money playing fewer games.''
Nets 2022

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Would you be willing to pay whatever the hiked ticket per game cost would be, to cut the season from 82 to 66 games? Cuz like MJ said, they aint leaving like 20 games worth of revenue on the table. So no matter what, they are gonna recoup that value to ensure they still get at least the same amount of money per game as they would under the current schedule.

PEACE