The Official NCAA Basketball Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

wheels

Re: The Official NCAA Basketball Thread

Post by wheels »

Big Breeze wrote:I care that Calhoun retired because we have one less cheater in the college ranks. Maybe LA raised Kevin Ollie has some of his old coach's tricks up his sleeve. It remains to be seen. All coaches cheat in one way or another. If not, they get fired.

This thread in general needs more updating from the heads that like college basketball. A good majority of the posts are about NBA dudes.

I'm concerned on Muhammad and Anderson being eligible at UCLA. I hate how the NCAA holds the student-athletes hostage before they determine their right to play. :naswtf: is up with that?
It's really only top-10 or 15 guys, but at least they do it to everybody. There was an "extended investigation" into Nerlens Noel, John Wall had his thing, Anthony Davis was suspect, the list goes on. They rarely find anything on anybody, and in my opinion it's because these high-profile recruits are either really careful about staying legit, or they cheat really well.

Gillespie will be back.

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

Let's get it.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Yo, wheels...was looking at Kentucky's roster recently and ya'll might be about six deep this year. Do you think Hood could make it seven?

Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye

Post by Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye »

watch out for Louisville this year

Shyste502

Post by Shyste502 »

Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye wrote:watch out for Louisville this year
:shit:

wheels

Post by wheels »

Shyste502 wrote:
:larry:
Fixed that for you.

Big Breeze wrote:Yo, wheels...was looking at Kentucky's roster recently and ya'll might be about six deep this year. Do you think Hood could make it seven?
Just saw this post. Here's how I see it.

They're going to start
Noel - C
Cauley - F
Poythress - F
Harrow - G
Goodwin - G

according to beat writers.

Wiltjer is the obvious 6th man, but also an option to start in a big lineup if you swing Poythress over to guard. I'm not sure who's going to get minutes between Hood and Mays, so it might be strictly a relief rotation between them for whenever harrow and goodwin get gassed. If Hood steps up he's got decent size and he's been around forever so he brings that "veteran" quality, and might see 20 minutes a game. I don't know if Twany will get any serious minutes, Cal seems to hate his guts.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Stuff I've been reading has K-Dub starting at the 4 with Cauley coming off the bench. Poythress is a natural 3. I like his game the most out of all the incoming freshmen, including Noel.

Harrison twins should announce by tomorrow night where they're going to school. Battle for their services may be closer than we think.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... der-armour

wheels

Post by wheels »

The Lexington guys really don't like Wiltjer starting. They point out that he hasn't started yet, and therefore has as much experience 'starting games' as anybody else on the team. Which is technically true, but he also has an entire championship season under his belt.

Regardless, I think the 7th man thing is on Hood and Mays.

As for the Harrison twins- Kentucky has Nike, how is this even close?

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

You did read the story, right? For your sake I hope they do go to UK. The Under Armour ties are real as are Turgeon's former Texas A&M ties.

These dudes are going to be game changers wherever they go.

wheels

Post by wheels »

I'm just saying I would jump over to the swoosh the first chance I got

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Dumbass

PEACE

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

It's official...Harrison twins commit to UK.

wheels

Post by wheels »

Pretty excited! I can't think of any team with siblings starting at guard, much less twins. Is this a first?

Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye

Post by Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye »

wheels wrote:
Shyste502 wrote:
:larry:
Fixed that for you.

Big Breeze wrote:Yo, wheels...was looking at Kentucky's roster recently and ya'll might be about six deep this year. Do you think Hood could make it seven?
Just saw this post. Here's how I see it.

They're going to start
Noel - C
Cauley - F
Poythress - F
Harrow - G
Goodwin - G

according to beat writers.

Wiltjer is the obvious 6th man, but also an option to start in a big lineup if you swing Poythress over to guard. I'm not sure who's going to get minutes between Hood and Mays, so it might be strictly a relief rotation between them for whenever harrow and goodwin get gassed. If Hood steps up he's got decent size and he's been around forever so he brings that "veteran" quality, and might see 20 minutes a game. I don't know if Twany will get any serious minutes, Cal seems to hate his guts.

according to beat writers... :larry:

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Yo, wheels...unless something earth shattering happens, Jabari Parker will not go to UK. He trimmed his college list to five. BYU, Florida, Duke, Stanford, and Michigan St. Harrison twins and Parker together would have been unfair.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

And to answer your other question about twins being in the same backcourt, that has not happened at this high of level that I can remember. Forwards and centers, yes like the Grants, the Collins boys, the Lopez's, the Graham's, the Morii, and the Wears. Guards, no.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

CBS ranked the top 100 players in the nation

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... 00-players

1. Cody Zeller, Indiana
2. Doug McDermott, Creighton
3. Bazz, UCLA
4. Isaiah Canaan, Murray State
5. Nerlens Noel, Kentucky
6. Mike Moser, Fresno State
7. Tony Mitchell, North Texas
8. Phil Pressey, Mizzou
9. Trey Burke, Michigan
10. Deshaun Thomas, Ohio St.
11. Jamaal Franklin, San Diego St.
12. Aaron Craft, Ohio St.
13. James Mcadoo, Carolina
14. Michael Snaer, Florida St.
15. Trevor Mbakwe, Minnesota
16. Otto Porter, G'Town
17.CJ McCollum, Lehigh
18. Jeff Withey, Kansas
19. Marcus Smart, Oklahoma St.
20. Kyle Anderson, UCLA

Other notables in the top:
22. Gorgieu Deng, L'Ville
26. Mason Plumlee, Duke
27. Ben McLemore, Kansas
30. Matt Dellavedova, St. Mary's (only notable cuz he plays in my neck of the woods)
32. Alex Pythress, Kentucky
33. Archie Goodwin, Kentucky
34. Peyton Siva, L'Ville
35. Tim Hardaway Jr., Michigan
38. Christian Watford, Indiana
43. Patric Young, Florida
45. Kenny Boynton, Florida
55. Myck Kabongo, Texas
58. Shabazz Napier, UConn
65. Brandon Davies, BYU
77. Brandon Paul, Illinois
84. Victor Oladipo, Indiana
87. Rasheed Sulaimon, Duke
91. Josh Smith, UCLA
94. Alexi Oriakhi, Mizzou
99. Seth Curry, Duke

PEACE

wheels

Post by wheels »

Big Breeze wrote:Yo, wheels...unless something earth shattering happens, Jabari Parker will not go to UK. He trimmed his college list to five. BYU, Florida, Duke, Stanford, and Michigan St. Harrison twins and Parker together would have been unfair.
He's been off the radar for a while. I think BYU ends up getting him. I'm hoping the Wiggins kid reclasses and Cal grabs him

wheels

Post by wheels »

AND James Young. Holy shit

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

wheels wrote:AND James Young. Holy shit
This is class that ya'll got coming in is beyond unfuckwitable. Even though I'm not a huge fan of his game, if the Cats get Julius Randle, it's over. 2014 NCAA champions for real.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

coach cal = best recruiter ever?
Nets 2022

wheels

Post by wheels »

Add the #28 overall.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

who saw that kentucky 'special' on espn? if i were a player i would want to go to UK after watching that shit
Nets 2022

wheels

Post by wheels »

I can't think of a better recruiting tool. It almost seems unfair

wheels

Post by wheels »

Wiggins reclassifies. New #1 in 2013, replacing Jabari Parker.

Anyone know when he's going to commit to kentucky?

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

wheels wrote:Wiggins reclassifies. New #1 in 2013, replacing Jabari Parker.

Anyone know when he's going to commit to kentucky?
UK and Florida St seem to be the leaders.

I saw him play this summer and I swear that if he was eligible for the NBA right now, he could average 20 ppg. He's got NBA moves and serious athleticism. Jabari Parker is not nearly the athlete that Wiggins is, but he's not a slouch either.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Andrew Wiggins, the nation's top basketball player in the Class of 2014, is reclassifying into his original 2013 class.

The move by Wiggins, a native of Thornhill, Ontario, comes with a new ranking -- No. 1 prospect in the senior class.

Huntington (W. Va.) Prep coach Rob Fulford confirmed Wiggins and his family decided Thursday to announce the decision. The 6-foot-7 small forward was the best prospect at last summer's LeBron James Skills Academy and was the clear-cut choice for the top spot in 2014.

Wiggins moving to No. 1 in 2013 means senior small forward Jabari Parker of Chicago Simeon moves to the No. 2 slot. Parker, a three-time Illinois state champion and two-time USA Basketball gold medalist, is one of the strongest No. 2 overall players ever in the ESPN 100.

Wiggins, an athletic specimen whose father played at Florida State, is strongly considering the Seminoles and Kentucky. North Carolina coach Roy Williams visited his school this week, and Ohio State and Kansas are expected to be at Huntington Prep this week.

Wiggins, who is a month older than Parker, had been contemplating this move since the summer. By coming back into his original class, Wiggins is now eligible for the McDonald's All-American game next March and any other postseason all-star events.

Parker's father, Sonny Parker, told ESPNChicago.com that he did not understand why Wiggins passed his son in the recruiting rankings.

"Based on what? That's what I'm asking," Sonny Parker told ESPNChicago.com. "Based on a few weeks of AAU? The AAU stuff is overrated. Jabari was the national freshman of the year, the national sophomore of the year, the Gatorade national player of the year as a junior.

"High school is more important to Jabari. He's won three straight titles and wants to win a fourth this year. You talk about athleticism. Jabari can play the 1 through 5 at 6-foot-9. It's just peoples' opinions."

Regarded as one of the finest athletes in high school basketball, Wiggins would have been the No. 1 player in 2012, 2013 or 2014. A scoring ace with tremendous size, he consistently demonstrated deep range, the ability to finish and exceptional long-term potential.

The move by Wiggins causes a ripple effect throughout the rankings. The new No. 1 player in 2014 is Tyus Jones of Apple Valley, Minn., formerly the nation's No. 2 prospect in 2014. Meanwhile, junior forward Victor Law of Chicago cracks the ESPN 60 for the first time.

ESPNChicago.com's Scott Powers contributed to this report.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Didn't know Reason was posting same shit as me. Guess great minds think on the same basketball wavelength.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

:cheers:

jabari vs andrew is a real debate. by all measures, parker is a bonafide #1 in his class type player. i still like wiggins more but i can't front on jabari, including the ridiculous competition he's faced to get all the accolades he's gotten

also coach cal might not get either of these dudes right? that would be a first in a while
Nets 2022

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

My theory on why Kentucky might not get Wiggins is the Harrison twins may be on their own hype and may not want to share the spotlight with Wiggins. After all, they are twins and will look out for each other more. Then again, if they want to win, they will acclimate their games to let Wiggins shine.

If Wiggins goes to Florida St and plays for Leonard Hamilton, he could become a complete player on both ends of the floor. The Seminoles may not run enough for Wiggins's taste, but perhaps they'll force the tempo to cater to his talents. Wiggins already has great defensive instincts, but I'm sure Hamilton will hone them even more.