Official Off-Season MLB Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Elijah Dukes was just released by the Nats

Can't wait to hear what he did this time

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Ron is my dude, sucks to hear he got caught up.

Rangers reveal manager's positive test

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/ne ... id=5003261

By Richard Durrett
ESPNDallas.com
Archive
Report: Ron Washington Used Cocaine
Report: Manager Ron Washington tested positive for cocaine during the 2009 MLB seasonTags: MLB, Texas Rangers

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington apologized Wednesday for using cocaine and testing positive during the 2009 season.

"I had a very weak moment," Washington said during a news conference Wednesday. "I did wrong and I take responsibility for that and I'm sorry."

Washington said it was "the one and only time" he used cocaine.

The story was first reported Wednesday by SI.com. Sources told ESPNDallas.com that Washington will not be fired.

Washington, 57, acknowledged that he failed a Major League Baseball drug test last July. The story said he has passed all of his subsequent tests and the Rangers accepted Washington's apology.

More on the Rangers

Richard Durrett and the rest of the ESPNDallas.com team have the inside scoop on the Rangers, the American League and Major League Baseball. Blog
Washington told SI.com that he didn't want to give any reason for the circumstances of his drug use, saying it was "going to sound like excuses."

Washington was hired as manager of the Rangers in 2006 to replace Buck Showalter. He was given an extension last year in June that takes him as manager of the club through the 2010 season.

The SI.com story said Washington told the commissioner's office and the Rangers' brass about his cocaine use before the test results came back positive.

"It was the right thing to do,'' Washington said. "I couldn't deal with the result to come back positive and be a shock to those who've shown faith in me."

Richard Durrett covers the Rangers for ESPN Dallas. You can follow him on Twitter or leave a question for his weekly mailbag.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

:gooden:

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Joe mauer signs 8 years/ 185 million
one of the top contracts ever given in baseball
23 mill a year
no trade clause in contract

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

keL wrote:Joe mauer signs 8 years/ 185 million
one of the top contracts ever given in baseball
23 mill a year
no trade clause in contract
good for beisbol and you as a fan

congrats
Nets 2022

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

lot of money riding on those knees, that's a really long contract for a catcher, he has decent value as a DH or 1B but he needs at least 4years at catcher with 130+ games for it to be good

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah, i'm glad to see him stay as a Twin but its pretty hilarious how everyone is making this out to be some great deal for the Twins. This wasn't a hometown discount. Motherfucker got paid and if anything happens to him whatsoever it could hurt them big time. A whole lot of risk in $23 million a year for a catcher.
He might have gotten a couple more years or slightly more money annually on the open market but not much more. I don't think the Yankees would be in on him very seriously and other than the Red Sox I don't know who else would or could stomach a contract that large and has the need.
Great player though and I'm glad the deal got done.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Tommy Bunz wrote:its pretty hilarious how everyone is making this out to be some great deal for the Twins
i havent heard this at all. who says its a great deal financially? its by far the most we have ever spent on anyone. but we can afford contracts like this now. with target field we have so much revenue coming in that the front office was obligated to spend it. twins are now mid level market :gyeah:

it was a great deal in the sense that we locked up our best player for the duration of his peak years

uh zip zoom

Post by uh zip zoom »

keL wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:its pretty hilarious how everyone is making this out to be some great deal for the Twins
i havent heard this at all. who says its a great deal financially? its by far the most we have ever spent on anyone. but we can afford contracts like this now. with target field we have so much revenue coming in that the front office was obligated to spend it. twins are now mid level market :gyeah:

it was a great deal in the sense that we locked up our best player for the duration of his peak years
i think that's being modest. you locked up your best player, who's also the face of the franchise, the reigning MVP and a future hall of famer, and who plays a scarce and very important position. i think it's a great deal for the twins.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

the twins have an elite catcher prospect called RAMOS. this kid is fantastic. i can envision this guy catching 50 games in the future, throwing mauer in left field or DH for a few games. mauer is still very young.

the mauer contract was the largest non yankee contract in history

remember friends, not that long ago the entire twins payroll was 16 million dollars and people wanted them contracted

i dont think any player is worth 23 mill/year, but i'll buttresss what zip zoom said:

he has already accomplished more than any catcher. MVP, batting champ, can throw any base runner out, calls great games, he's white, and performs rap music

he's not even in my top 5 twins right now, however

he will hit .400, and you heard it here first
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

Ayo good news for Philaflava and philly fans. Lidge not likely to start.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

keL wrote:he will hit .400, and you heard it here first
Pretty sure Grandpa Jake said Mauer was going to hit .400 before the Twins even drafted Mauer, you fucking fake Minnesotan.
I <3 Employee.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Myjah wrote:
Pretty sure Grandpa Jake said Mauer was going to hit .400 before the Twins even drafted Mauer, you fucking fake Minnesotan.
i dont know grampa jake. is it another homeless guy you treated to your diseased vagina? Go fix yourself a second dinner

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

keL wrote:
Myjah wrote:
i dont know grampa jake. is it another homeless guy you treated to your diseased vagina? Go fix yourself a second dinner
Those of us who were Twins fans when Joe signed in 2001 remember when his outspoken grandpa, Jake, saying Joe would be the next player to hit .400.

Sports Illustrated: The Perfect Catch, August 07, 2006
"[Joe's] swing was both discovered and nurtured by Grandpa Jake when Joe was still in diapers. Widowed at age 48 in 1979, Grandpa Jake lived with the family of his only child, Jake Jr. He tended bar at night and provided day care for Joe and his older brothers, Jake III and Billy, while their parents worked. "He was like a second father to us," says Joe. Grandpa Jake changed the boys' diapers, made their peanut butter sandwiches and preached the virtues of hitting. "If you can hit," he'd say, "they'll always find a place for you." He tried to get the older boys to emulate his style and hit lefthanded, but they wouldn't bite. "Then one day Joe [then a toddler] picked up a plastic bat lefthanded and whacked a little beach ball," says Grandpa Jake. "I said, 'Ho-leee! We have a lefthander!' His brothers tried to get him to hit righthanded, but I told them to leave him alone.
Grandpa Jake thinks his grandson will improve on the offensive side too. "When the Twins drafted Joe, I said he was going to be your next .400 hitter," he says. "Maybe not this year, but when he develops, and he sees different pitchers coming around and knows what the hell is going on, Joe Mauer is going to hit .400.""

http://roadtogameday.com/2009/06/05/the-case-for-400/
"Back when Joe Mauer was drafted, much ado was made about a boastful proclamation by his grandfather. A proud man, Jake Mauer Sr. was quite sure of his grandsonג€™s ability as a ballplayer. So much so that he claimed if anyone had a chance to hit .400 again, it was his sweet-swinging grandson."

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/Ar ... 202008.htm
"Joe Mauer, who won the American League batting title with a .347 average in 2006, will try to win the championship again this year for grandfather Jake Mauer. ג€œHe said, ג€˜Iג€™ll try to get it for you a second time, grandpa, this year.' I said, 'Thatג€™s all I want to hear,'ג€ Jake told Sports Headliners on Monday.

The two Mauers are close and have spent time together since Joe was a baby. Jake started instructing Joe on how to hit when he was a pre-schooler and still gives his opinion. "

Etc., etc., etc...

point is, say Joe is going to hit .400 all you want; say "you heard it here first" and you're an idiot. Give me a break. Jesus.
Last edited by Myjah on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I <3 Employee.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

good job

yr gangsta conscience
Baseball America

Post by yr gangsta conscience »

ignore her, she was crying when the twins dumped doug mientkiewicz to open up room for morneau, she couldn't grasp that morneau was actually a good hitter with a huge ceiling and doug .. well, sucks

uh zip zoom

Post by uh zip zoom »

myjah's annual emergence from beneath her park bench is the only negative aspect to baseball's return. does anybody think kel was actually claiming to be the first person to ever say mauer would hit .400?

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

:copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy:
Span's mother struck by line drive

* Email
* Print
* Comments 151
* Share639
retweet 253

Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. -- Minnesota Twins leadoff man Denard Span hit a hard foul ball that struck his mom in the chest during Wednesday's game. She was treated by paramedics and back in the stands minutes later.

"My mom is feeling ok right now!" Span later posted on his Twitter account.

Wanda Wilson was wearing a Span jersey and sitting with about 20 family members and friends near the third-base dugout. Span took a defensive swing in the first inning and sent a liner into the low box seats, hitting her near the shoulder.

A stunned Span sprinted into the stands and stayed with his mother while she got treatment. The split-squad game against the New York Yankees was delayed for a few minutes as she walked to first aid, and the Twins said she was sore but OK.

"What the odds of that happening?" Twins pitching coach Rick Anderson said. "I've never seen it before. It's crazy. I'm standing there right next to it and I heard it and it's just, 'Oh no!, that didn't sound good.' She's on the ground and I'm saying, 'Please don't be the head or something' because it sounded so ugly.'"

Span had left the clubhouse by the time reporters were allowed in after the Twins' 4-2 win.

"It happened so fast," Twins starting pitcher Brian Duensing said. "I talked to Denard about it and he said once he found the ball after he hit it, then he realized right away it was his mother. He knew right away."

"It's scary. From what I heard, what he said, she's all right. It could have been way worse," he said. "They left together. We'll know tomorrow. I asked if she was all right and he said, 'Yes, she's fine.'"

Span returned to the plate and struck out on the next pitch from Phil Hughes. The Twins originally said Span would leave the game, but his mother was sitting in a different seat by the bottom of the first inning and he went to play center field.

Span flied out in the second inning, then left in the bottom of the third, telling a team official he wasn't mentally into the game. Span and his mother spent time together after he departed.

"It affected him. He wanted to come out, so we took him out," Anderson said. "He went and saw her, and then he said, 'I want to stay in.' He's real close and obviously it's his mom, and finally we just said go."

"It tore him up pretty good. She's doing well. They said she was fine and he got a chance to be with her. I'm sure he'll probably buy her a nice dinner tonight," he said.

Span tied for the league lead in triples last year, helping the Twins win the AL Central.

Anderson said a few inches either way could've made for a much more serious injury.

"It hit her in the meat. I guess if it got up on the bone or the shoulder blade or something, the trainer said it could have shattered it. No place is good, but if it had to be somewhere, at least it didn't get a bone," he said.

Span was born and raised in Tampa. He regularly volunteers to make the long trip from the Twins' spring training home in Fort Myers when Minnesota visits the Yankees so he can see his family.

Spring training ballparks are much smaller than stadiums where regular-season games are held. But along with being more cozy, spring parks can be more dangerous because fans often sit closer to the field.

The backstop netting at George M. Steinbrenner Field goes all the way from behind the plate to the roof, and extends toward the dugouts. Span's mother was sitting only a few rows off the field, in the first section where the netting ends.

"It's kind of a dangerous spot," Hughes said. "I think they should move the net all the way to the dugout because you can get those foul balls like that."

Fans are often reminded to be alert for balls and bats that might go flying into the stands. But with objects traveling so fast, such injuries become perils of the game.

Hall of Famer Bob Feller heard about the Span accident and recalled the time he threw a pitch that was fouled off and hit his mom -- on Mother's Day.

"She was sitting right next to the dugout at Comiskey Park in Chicago," the 91-year-old Feller said at Cleveland's camp in Goodyear, Ariz. "It hit her right above the eye, broke her glasses and she needed seven stitches. It was in 1939. Some Mother's Day for her, wasn't it? I was pretty upset, but had to keep on pitching."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring201 ... id=5043987

pennsylvania jones
6th Man HOF

Post by pennsylvania jones »

And in other news, Dan Murphy out 2-6 weeks with a knee injury

FML AS A METS FAN.

INJURIES PILING UP AGAIN

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

so the mets rotation is

santana
maine
niese
pelfry
perez

?

looks kind of thin

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

yr gangsta conscience wrote:ignore her, she was crying when the twins dumped doug mientkiewicz to open up room for morneau, she couldn't grasp that morneau was actually a good hitter with a huge ceiling and doug .. well, sucks
I can see how a hardcore Twins fan might have grown attached to Doug Mientkiewicz:

2001: .850 OPS, .306 AVG, .390 OBP
2003: .845 OPS, .300 AVG, .395 OBP

Dude also played legitimate gold glove defense.

The fact that he ended up sucking after 2004 was unforeseen and irrelevant. Also, guys that wreck shop in the minors come a dime a dozen - there was no way of knowing back in mid-2004 that Morneau was going to be this dope. How many guys put up a crazy OPS in the minors, only to suck hard on the major league level?
Last edited by Roy Johnson on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Jays took it to Halladay today, which was pretty dope despite it being an otherwise meaningless game.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Roy Johnson wrote: there was no way of knowing back in mid-2004 that Morneau was going to be this dope.
the twins minor league personel knew what we had in morneau. the talent that the twins farm system has produced in the last 20 years is testament to their ability to identify talent. this is why doug was let go so quickly and noone cared.

the thing that always bugged me was that the concensus was that kubel was going to be the better hitter than morneau, then kubel tore his knee up. kubel made a jump last year and i predict he'll have a better year this year

you heard it here first

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Lidge gets a cortisone shot and Blanton might start the season on the DL with an oblique injury.

You better not suck, Kendrick (and Baez and Madson).

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

keL wrote:the twins minor league personel knew what we had in morneau. the talent that the twins farm system has produced in the last 20 years is testament to their ability to identify talent. this is why doug was let go so quickly and noone cared.
It would makes sense if the minor league scouting department had some kind of inside scoop on Morneau, but who can blame a hardcore Twins fan for wanting to keep a guy that had already established himself as a .300 AVG/.400 OBP/Gold Glove type out of the 1B slot? Maybe it didn't work out that way in the long run, but that shit was unforeseen back in mid-2004. It's kinda goofy to call someone out on such a thing in 2010. That's all I'm saying.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Roy Johnson wrote:
keL wrote:the twins minor league personel knew what we had in morneau. the talent that the twins farm system has produced in the last 20 years is testament to their ability to identify talent. this is why doug was let go so quickly and noone cared.
It would makes sense if the minor league scouting department had some kind of inside scoop on Morneau, but who can blame a hardcore Twins fan for wanting to keep a guy that had already established himself as a .300 AVG/.400 OBP/Gold Glove type out of the 1B slot? Maybe it didn't work out that way in the long run, but that shit was unforeseen back in mid-2004. It's kinda goofy to call someone out on such a thing in 2010. That's all I'm saying.
agree. dougy had some killer defense, but his bat fell off dramtically despite the stats you posted. morneau's knock was that his hitting was not proven and his defense was suspect.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

POSTING THIS SO WE CAN GET THE FULL JINX ON THE PHILLIES (GO YANKS!):

ג€¢ THE PHILLIES: Want me to start explaining this before you start typing all your what-a-homer e-mails? Or should I even bother? Yes, it's true I'm a Philadelphian. So that means what, exactly? My kids know how to spell B-O-O? I know a couple of Mummers personally? Whatever. I've never picked the Phillies to win the World Series before in any preseason-prediction column in my life. But there's a first for everything. So this is the year.
Am I allowed to mention that 11 other theoretically rational ESPN "experts" also picked the Phillies to go to the World Series, and six of them also predicted that the Phillies would win that World Series? I'll testify under oath I didn't slip any pick-the-Phillies pills in their drinks to make me look better, saner or more objective.

First of all, Roy Halladay makes the Phillies massively better. If he could go 64-35 lifetime against the AL East, what's his record going to look like facing the NL East 20 times a year? Big misconception: He's not replacing Cliff Lee. He's really only replacing two months of Cliff Lee. Remember, Halladay is also replacing four months of Rodrigo Lopez, Antonio Bastardo, Drew Carpenter and an injured Brett Myers. So that's a serious upgrade for those 21 starts. "With that club," said one scout, "he's got a chance to win 70 percent of those starts."

Of course, Halladay has never thrown a pitch in October. But "if I had to play one season right now and I had to pick one guy I could pitch to win a World Series," said one executive, "Roy Halladay would be the guy." So that's that.

Starting right behind him is Cole Hamels, who had a fabulous spring -- rediscovering 10 miles per hour on his fastball(:ohsh: 4rele?) and his long-lost curve ball. Hamels looked, said the same scout, "like he's really driven to be The Guy." And if he is The Guy, that's enough October domination for any team.

Meanwhile, the Phillies' big offensive addition, Placido Polanco, is an underrated lineup-changer who will put bat on ball, allow Rollins to run more and free Shane Victorino to hit lower in the order. "A perfect fit" for this team, said Polanco's old manager in Detroit, Jim Leyland.

And a couple of ticks down the lineup, Ryan Howard (.306 spring average, .882 OPS) had such an eye-opening offensive approach this spring, he caused one scout to predict: "If he keeps this approach all year long and remembers there's another side to the field, he's going to hit .300 and he's going to win the MVP by a mile." (he gon' shut eternalreflection up this year!!?????!)

Add it all up, and this will be the only team in baseball that will start eight All-Stars on Opening Day. But beyond its star power, it's a group that is well aware it has a chance to become the first NL team since the 1942-1944 Cardinals to play in three straight World Series, and a team that plays with tremendous sense of purpose every night. "The chemistry on that team," said one scout, "just works."

So that's our pick. The Phillies. The only question is: Would America vote for them as the 2010 American Baseball Idols?

"If it was up to Simon, he'd just roll his eyes at us every night," Jimmy Rollins said. "But America would love us. We're like the perfect dysfunctional family."
Nets 2022

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

keL wrote:
Roy Johnson wrote:
agree. dougy had some killer defense, but his bat fell off dramtically despite the stats you posted. morneau's knock was that his hitting was not proven and his defense was suspect.
Mientkiewicz was the clear fan favorite when the Twins traded him. Mientkiewicz jerseys are still some of the most common I see at Twins games. I think that says a lot about what the Twins thought of Morneau.

P.S.
By far, the best part about the first game at Target Field was the fans and Jacque Jones. That was really, really awesome. Definitely the most memorable part of the night. Jacque was stunned. I really thought he was about to start crying, several times....
I <3 Employee.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Myjah wrote:
keL wrote:
Myjah wrote:
Those of us who were Twins fans when Joe signed in 2001 remember when his outspoken grandpa, Jake, saying Joe would be the next player to hit .400.

Sports Illustrated: The Perfect Catch, August 07, 2006
"[Joe's] swing was both discovered and nurtured by Grandpa Jake when Joe was still in diapers. Widowed at age 48 in 1979, Grandpa Jake lived with the family of his only child, Jake Jr. He tended bar at night and provided day care for Joe and his older brothers, Jake III and Billy, while their parents worked. "He was like a second father to us," says Joe. Grandpa Jake changed the boys' diapers, made their peanut butter sandwiches and preached the virtues of hitting. "If you can hit," he'd say, "they'll always find a place for you." He tried to get the older boys to emulate his style and hit lefthanded, but they wouldn't bite. "Then one day Joe [then a toddler] picked up a plastic bat lefthanded and whacked a little beach ball," says Grandpa Jake. "I said, 'Ho-leee! We have a lefthander!' His brothers tried to get him to hit righthanded, but I told them to leave him alone.
Grandpa Jake thinks his grandson will improve on the offensive side too. "When the Twins drafted Joe, I said he was going to be your next .400 hitter," he says. "Maybe not this year, but when he develops, and he sees different pitchers coming around and knows what the hell is going on, Joe Mauer is going to hit .400.""

http://roadtogameday.com/2009/06/05/the-case-for-400/
"Back when Joe Mauer was drafted, much ado was made about a boastful proclamation by his grandfather. A proud man, Jake Mauer Sr. was quite sure of his grandsonג€™s ability as a ballplayer. So much so that he claimed if anyone had a chance to hit .400 again, it was his sweet-swinging grandson."

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/Ar ... 202008.htm
"Joe Mauer, who won the American League batting title with a .347 average in 2006, will try to win the championship again this year for grandfather Jake Mauer. ג€œHe said, ג€˜Iג€™ll try to get it for you a second time, grandpa, this year.' I said, 'Thatג€™s all I want to hear,'ג€ Jake told Sports Headliners on Monday.

The two Mauers are close and have spent time together since Joe was a baby. Jake started instructing Joe on how to hit when he was a pre-schooler and still gives his opinion. "

Etc., etc., etc...

point is, say Joe is going to hit .400 all you want; say "you heard it here first" and you're an idiot. Give me a break. Jesus.
strangely enough, i knew about grandpa jake before that article. the version I heard was different though from the SI article one. I heard that he picked up a bat and was about to hit right handed and grandpa jake kept drilling him on hitting it lefty.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Myjah wrote: By far, the best part about the first game at Target Field was the fans and Jacque Jones. That was really, really awesome. Definitely the most memorable part of the night. Jacque was stunned. I really thought he was about to start crying, several times....
spann robbing pujols was more athletic and exciting, imo. i think target field is going to be a home run hitters paradise.