NFL Offseason Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Patriots trade for Oaklandג€™s Derrick Burgess

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP)ג€”The New England Patriots have obtained two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Derrick Burgess(notes).

Burgess had held out of training camp with the Oakland Raiders in hopes of being traded. On Thursday, they obtained undisclosed draft considerations for him. The Patriots released offensive lineman Al Johnson(notes).

Burgess is an addition to the Patriotsג€™ pass rush. In three seasons with Philadelphia and four with Oakland he had 47 sacks in 85 games with a high of 16 in 2005, the first of his consecutive Pro Bowl seasons. In 10 games of his injury-plagued 2008 season, he had 3.5 sacks.

Burgess is in the final year of his contract with a $2 million salary.

BeHemoth
Bam Bam

Post by BeHemoth »

keL wrote::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Source: Parker tells Niners that Crabtree will re-enter draft
Posted by Mike Florio on August 6, 2009 11:52 AM ET
The situation in San Francisco between the 49ers and receiver Michael Crabtree is quickly going from bad to worse.

Per a league source, agent Eugene Parker is telling the 49ers that Crabtree will sit out the season re-enter the draft in 2010, unless the team gives Crabtree what he wants.

Of course, what Crabtree specifically wants isn't known, since Parker (as multiple sources tell us) still hasn't made a proposal.

There's also a growing chorus of league insiders who are speaking out against the widely-believed effort by Parker to blow up the slotting process with Crabtree. Teams obviously would contend that the unwritten rules of draft-pick negotiation ritual should be honored; however, some of the agents who arguably would benefit from the introduction of chaos privately have described efforts to blow the curve as "inappropriate" and "unacceptable" and "wrong."

And if Crabtree opts to re-enter the draft next year, the current thinking is that he wouldn't be the first receiver drafted. For now, the guy who is regarded as likely to be the first wideout (and possibly the first overall pick) is Illinois junior Arrelious Benn.

Then again, if Crabtree is picked any higher than No. 10 after having a chance to engage in pre-draft workouts, he'd likely end up with more money than the slotting process currently would pay.

After, of course, waiting a year to get it

what a douchebag. he wont sign unless he gets more than hey-bey. he wants more than the 23.5 mill guaranteed that the raiders gave bey. watch the niners end up paying this asshole and he gets injured on the third play.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

fagtree will sign. guys hold out all the time, its Aug 6 for christ's sake.

if we are entering into the final preseason game and he is still waffling, i'll start to worry.

the reason this story is kinda juicy is because all the draft picks near crabtree are holding out to see who gets what money.
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

an-also

Post by an-also »

NFL desperately needs a rookie payscale like the one nba has.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

an-also wrote:NFL desperately needs a rookie payscale like the one nba has.
agreed. shit is out of control.
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

keL wrote:
agreed. shit is out of control.
seriously, it simultaneously hurts the player's chances of contributing in his rookie year, and makes them look like an asshole trying to cash the biggest check they can get, and far as the league goes it makes them look like a bunch of amateurs who have never run a draft before.

the NFL treats it's players the worst of any pro league, rookies make more than vets, players get cut and kicked to curb days before making their bonus, shieeeettt you can't even make it rain on a stripper without catching a 3 game suspension...

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

given how little of the 2nd contracts a player signs is guaranteed, I'd disagree

do you guys really just want billionaires to get richer?

BeHemoth
Bam Bam

Post by BeHemoth »

eternalreflection wrote:
given how little of the 2nd contracts a player signs is guaranteed, I'd disagree

how would this be the case?

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Patriots trade for Oaklandג€™s Derrick Burgess

OXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP)ג€”The New England Patriots obtained defensive end Derrick Burgess(notes) on Thursday after the two-time Pro Bowl player held out of the Oakland Raiders training camp in hopes of being traded.

The Patriots gave up undisclosed draft considerations for Burgess, who is coming off an injury-plagued season in which he had 3 1/2 sacks in 10 games. New England released offensive lineman Al Johnson(notes).

The trade was announced on the ninth day of Burgessג€™ holdout from the team he recorded 38 1/2 sacks with in four seasons, including a club-record and league-best 16 in 2005. He had 11 the next year and made the Pro Bowl both times.

His total dropped to eight in 2007, but he missed two games.

ג€œHe chose not to be here for whatever reasons and now the deal is done and we move forward, as does he,ג€ Raiders coach Tom Cable said. ג€œWe just moved on without him and it is what it is.ג€

In three seasons with Philadelphia and four with Oakland, the 6-foot-2, 260-pound Burgess had 47 sacks in 85 games. He also missed the 2003 season with a torn Achillesג€™ tendon.

The Patriots were 11-5 last season but had 31 sacks, tied for 14th. The Raiders were 5-11 with 32 sacks.

Burgess is entering the final year of his contract with a $2 million salary and felt underpaid for most of his time with the Raiders. He joined them when he signed a five-year, $18 million contract as a free agent before the 2005 season.

New England and Oakland held discussions around the time of the draft in late April. Then Burgess stayed away from all the Raiders optional offseason workouts and did not go onto the field during Mayג€™s mandatory minicamp because of a reported upset stomach.

ג€œHeג€™ll be just fine in New Englandג€™s system,ג€ Oakland defensive end Jay Richardson(notes) said. ג€œIג€™m sure heג€™ll probably love it out there, coming off the edge like he does. Itג€™s funny because it was actually kind of quiet (here), no one really knew. A lot of guys thought sooner or later heג€™ll walk in those doors and weג€™ll keep rolling.ג€

The Eagles drafted Burgess in 2001 with the first pick of the third round out of Mississippi.

The Patriots signed Johnson in March after he spent four seasons with Dallas, which drafted him in the second round in 2003 out of Wisconsin. He played for Arizona in 2007 and was on the Cardinals injured reserve list in 2008 before they released him. He then signed with Miami where he played four games.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

so true but it would have to be so much more fluid than the NBA's because different positions pay out so different - you think it should just be a straight pay out regardless of the player's position?

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

eternalreflection wrote:

The alternative is giving unproven guys millions and millions of dollars to ride the bench and waste a roster spot and money. When you could be giving that extra money to guys who deserve it that actually make your team better. That is a crazy concept.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Random Sample wrote:
eternalreflection wrote:

The alternative is giving unproven guys millions and millions of dollars to ride the bench and waste a roster spot and money. When you could be giving that extra money to guys who deserve it that actually make your team better. That is a crazy concept.
PED's, Peyton Mannings, and no salary caps for all!!!!!
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

The other benefits of a fixed salary is being able to develop a player better. You get these big dollar players that come into the league and they are supposed to play at a high level. Too much pressure on young guys and they can't mature into the position.

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

I can't wait for Thursday's preseason game

Mike BLAOWery

Post by Mike BLAOWery »

There is no way rookies should be payed more then veterans. You should be able to earn bigger money later.

Mike BLAOWery

Post by Mike BLAOWery »

The Philly Eagles are having a rough training camp so far.

-Juqua Parker/Thomas caught with trees.

-Stewart Bradley, starting MLB, out for the year.

-Cornelius Ingram, who me and a couple other draftniks on this board liked a lot, out for the year with a torn ACL.

-Desean Jackson hyperextends his knee the other day.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

If the Eagles come in 3rd I'd be surprised. Our D worries me.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

It'll be weird to see Brian Dawkins as a Bronco.

rooski

Post by rooski »

So Roddy White at 6 years $50 million...what's that about?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

i can't believe i am watching sunday night football

:face:

rooski

Post by rooski »

Young's first pass looked pretty stellar.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

i can't believe crabtree wants to sit out...it's deperessing.

GLUS

Post by GLUS »

bills look super bowl ready.

Mo Cheeks

Post by Mo Cheeks »

wow Ingram is out for the year? As a Florida fan that is a bummer, he was hurt all last season too, motherfucker has talent

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

so excited to see the skins play - even without fat albert for the game I'm excited to see the D dominate Flacco and Co.

not as excited to see our offense :(

rooski

Post by rooski »

So ready for tonights pre-season game.

I've already blocked my sister's number. NEVER AGAIN.

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

cowboys raiders 9 pm tonight. excited to see Miles Austin, and see if he can be a true #2

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

Redskins starting o-line looked much better than I thought.

whenever Brian Orakpo was with his hand in the dirt he was either beating his man around the edge or dragging them towards the QB as they held him. He looks really good. His LB time was decent - a really good tackler.
Jeremy Jarmon looked much better than I was expecting also

I couldn't make it through the whole game though, shit was painful to watch by the middle of the second quarter

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

HomeSkillet wrote: I couldn't make it through the whole game though, shit was painful to watch by the middle of the second quarter
where was the offense?

:bunk:

an-also

Post by an-also »

Raji signs :cheers: