Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

binary wrote:
Yohan wrote:
binary wrote:
an-also wrote:binary isn't worried about Ghana because they are a team full of black players and by default too dumb to beat a team full of white guys. amirite?
no, they really do suck. They've only scored on a PK, other than that they've gotten a red carpet to the next round. They played Australia with a man up and couldn't do shit. US will win. I would not say they are too dumb, but their creativity and organization in the last quarter of the field is pure ass.
Ban that faggot.
lol, I can't. Plus I don't like using the "f" word that you refer to.
I ment you.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

LOL at Italy!

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Quarter finals for the Dutch.

God I love football.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Trademark wrote:LOL at Italy!
:cheers: peace faggots.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

What league does Donovan play for and what team? What about Clint Dempsey and Altidore? I don't watch soccer but I think I might start following it now, but I need a team to root for. I know this sounds faggy to soccer fans but fuck it, never too late to start following the most famous sport in the world...

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Donovan plays for the LA Galaxy in MLS, but there is a strong possibility he returns to the English Premiere League with Everton (Where Tim Howard plays) in the fall. Dempsey plays for Fulham in the EPL, and Jozy play for Hull City, but will also probably move on to a bigger club because Hull was relegated down to League One last year.

And nothing to really apologize for, I'm sure there will be a ton of new American support for whatever clubs Donovan and Jozy end up on.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

I'd be down for rooting for a Donovan/Howard combo... If I'm going to watch Soccer there has to be an American on the team, I'm not going to watch a bunch of :bork: run around and flopping all over the place.

binary

Post by binary »

Glad Italy lost, fuck them.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Trademark wrote:What league does Donovan play for and what team? What about Clint Dempsey and Altidore? I don't watch soccer but I think I might start following it now, but I need a team to root for. I know this sounds faggy to soccer fans but fuck it, never too late to start following the most famous sport in the world...
It's so much easier to follow soccer now since many matches are televised in the US.

Right now Altidore belongs to Villareal in Spain. He was on loan with Hull City, but played poorly and pretty much played his way off the team. Hopefully he's matured and will find playing time somewhere this coming season.
Everton would love to have Donovan back, but after his play this year it's doubtful that they'll be able to afford him.
Tim Howard is the #1 keeper at Everton and barring injury will remain in that spot.
Dempsey is solid at Fulham, so you'll see him playing a lot.

A few American's (for now at least) own teams in England. Randy Lerner (Cleveland Browns owner) owns Aston Villa. They're a fun team to watch and they have 2 American's, both keeper's, Brad Friedel and Brad Guzan.
The Glazer family (Tampa Buccaneers owners) own Manchester United, probably the most famous team in the world. An American liking them is basically like picking the Yankees as your favorite baseball team. No American players there, but a great team to watch and guaranteed to be on TV each week. The owners are hated though.
Liverpool have American owners, but they're trying to sell the team, which is exactly what the Liverpool fans want.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Dan wrote:
Trademark wrote:What league does Donovan play for and what team? What about Clint Dempsey and Altidore? I don't watch soccer but I think I might start following it now, but I need a team to root for. I know this sounds faggy to soccer fans but fuck it, never too late to start following the most famous sport in the world...
It's so much easier to follow soccer now since many matches are televised in the US.

Right now Altidore belongs to Villareal in Spain. He was on loan with Hull City, but played poorly and pretty much played his way off the team. Hopefully he's matured and will find playing time somewhere this coming season.
Everton would love to have Donovan back, but after his play this year it's doubtful that they'll be able to afford him.
Tim Howard is the #1 keeper at Everton and barring injury will remain in that spot.
Dempsey is solid at Fulham, so you'll see him playing a lot.

A few American's (for now at least) own teams in England. Randy Lerner (Cleveland Browns owner) owns Aston Villa. They're a fun team to watch and they have 2 American's, both keeper's, Brad Friedel and Brad Guzan.
The Glazer family (Tampa Buccaneers owners) own Manchester United, probably the most famous team in the world. An American liking them is basically like picking the Yankees as your favorite baseball team. No American players there, but a great team to watch and guaranteed to be on TV each week. The owners are hated though.
Liverpool have American owners, but they're trying to sell the team, which is exactly what the Liverpool fans want.

I think if Everton gets Donovan I'll adopt them, if not I'll go with Fulham and go for Dempsey. What other good players does Everton have?

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Holy Fuck @ those 2 Japan goals. Fucking bombs. (no nagasaki)

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

From the World Cup? Everton have Yakubu and Yobo from Nigeria, Tim Cahill from Aus, does Lucas Neill still play for them? Steven Pienaar from SA, Tim Howard from USA! USA!

Fulham have Dempsey and Eddie Johnson from USA! USA!, Pantsil from Ghana, Mark Schwartzer from Aus. There must be others.

I like Fulham. Had a great season. Plus, if you start getting into it and ever visit London, it's really easy to get tickets to go to see them and its a nice ground in a decent area. And, FWIW, English fans love it when people from overseas pick an underdog team (ie not Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool).

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:From the World Cup? Everton have Yakubu and Yobo from Nigeria, Tim Cahill from Aus, does Lucas Neill still play for them? Steven Pienaar from SA, Tim Howard from USA! USA!

Fulham have Dempsey and Eddie Johnson from USA! USA!, Pantsil from Ghana, Mark Schwartzer from Aus. There must be others.

I like Fulham. Had a great season. Plus, if you start getting into it and ever visit London, it's really easy to get tickets to go to see them and its a nice ground in a decent area. And, FWIW, English fans love it when people from overseas pick an underdog team (ie not Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool).
I was going to say that at least TM is picking between Fulham and Everton. It is gay when people pick from the big 4. I picked Tottenham back in the day (when I first started watching Premier League) because of David Ginola and Darren Anderton (and probably because for whatever reason a lot of Tottenham games were shown in the mid to late 90s in :ohcanada:). But I guess now we're big 4. Cool story, bro. I'll stfu now.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Positive A wrote:But I guess now we're big 4.
Only for next season though. :lol:

Dan

Post by Dan »

I picked Chelsea in 2006 after the World Cup not knowing anything about their team.
I wanted a team to follow so I decided to go through all 20 rosters and which ever team had the most recognizable names, that's the team I'd call my own.
It may appear that I was a bandwagon jumper, but I really wasn't. Plus it's not like they won shit once I started following them, well until this past season.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:
Positive A wrote:But I guess now we're big 4.
Only for next season though. :lol:
:lol: Let me have this!

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:From the World Cup? Everton have Yakubu and Yobo from Nigeria, Tim Cahill from Aus, does Lucas Neill still play for them? Steven Pienaar from SA, Tim Howard from USA! USA!

most definitely Fulham or Everton....

H.E.

Post by H.E. »

Haha, Jon Dahl, why did they let him take the penalty? Lucky lucky.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

problem is, the big 4 get so much more coverage than the rest stateside, so its hard to say choose tottenham and see a decent number of matches, I guess personally I want Arsenal to do the best and Liverpool to do the worst, but mostly just watch any of the top half vs top half matches

man italy and france out, spain still in danger could be a lol bad world cup for europe

Guun

Post by Guun »

eternalreflection wrote:

problem is, the big 4 get so much more coverage than the rest stateside, so its hard to say choose tottenham and see a decent number of matches, I guess personally I want Arsenal to do the best and Liverpool to do the worst, but mostly just watch any of the top half vs top half matches

man italy and france out, spain still in danger could be a lol bad world cup for europe
it's south america's year... the world cup has alternated from europe and south america since 1962. Italy won in 2006 so South America is up.

Dan

Post by Dan »

eternalreflection wrote:problem is, the big 4 get so much more coverage than the rest stateside, so its hard to say choose tottenham and see a decent number of matches, I guess personally I want Arsenal to do the best and Liverpool to do the worst, but mostly just watch any of the top half vs top half matches
You can pretty much watch every match if you have Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Soccer Plus, and ESPN2.
Sure, some matches will be tape delayed, but it's pretty easy to avoid spoilers as long as you stay offline during those matches.
I'm not a fan of watching matches online, but you can also watch them that way. Either paying for FoxSoccer.tv or ESPN3's online package.

Req

Post by Req »

Uruguay V South Korea
USA V Ghana
Netherlands V Slovakia

Brazil V Chile
--------------------------
Argentina V Mexico
Germany V England
Paraguay V Japan

Spain V Portugal

bolded = confirmed
F.U. MOOLAH

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

can't get foxsoccerplus or espn3, might have to look into foxsoccertv

yeah there probably is more coverage of the next tier teams, I do like watching a the spanish, german leagues too, and even some serie a

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Fucking depressing way to go out. No one cared after that first freekick that slipped through S
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

binary

Post by binary »

Japan looked dope as fuck.

BTW, the latest ESPN 30 for 30 is fucking awesome, the Two Escobars, highly recommended.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

binary wrote: BTW, the latest ESPN 30 for 30 is fucking awesome, the Two Escobars, highly recommended.
Yeah that shit was excellent.

Dan

Post by Dan »

The World's reaction to Landon Donovan's game winning goal for the US - June 23, 2010.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jbn3rOPmR9w&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jbn3rOPmR9w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I'm not gonna lie, I :owens:

Sideways

Post by Sideways »

ItaLOLy. Beautiful. I don't think I could have picked two teams I like to see fail more than France and Italy.

This is turning into a pretty good world cup. A nice amount of unpredictability, no real stand out team and the last week has produced some excellent games. A Brazil vs Argentina final perhaps? That would be immense.

I'm hyped for the England/Germany game. Germany were awesome against a dreadful Aus side but have been unimpressive since. Lets beat those dirty Krauts.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Dan wrote:The World's reaction to Landon Donovan's game winning goal for the US - June 23, 2010.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jbn3rOPmR9w&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jbn3rOPmR9w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

me too... Not really the worlds reaction though, just americans...

Dan

Post by Dan »

Trademark wrote:
Dan wrote:The World's reaction to Landon Donovan's game winning goal for the US - June 23, 2010.

me too... Not really the worlds reaction though, just americans...
A bar in France and people in South Africa were shown.