NFL Off Season 2012

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

ric

Post by ric »

Ramen wrote:just like that, first pass by Luck is a touchdown.
hilarious that it was basically a screen pass to donald brown

edit
what arians is doing is fucking sick
brian schottenhiemer is the rams OC. that cant feel good for rams fans.

ric

Post by ric »

PopeyeJones wrote:A)9ers secondary is average to below average. Both the safeties are great run stoppers but bad in coverage (see: Goldson's blown coverage on that 50 yard pass on the second play of the game).
B) The mediocre quality of the secondary was masked last year by excellent front seven play, not playing that many great QBs (they all torched 'em), and more importantly, all the turnovers. Rodgers ain't getting 6 ints again this year, Goldson isn't getting 7 turnovers this year.
C) Truth be told though, the secondary primarily struggles in space, as they play off a lot. The other thing about the 9ers defense that doesn't get talked about is that they really excel inside the 20 when they don't have to protect the top of the field. You could even see this in the first quarter of the Vikes game (moving down field, and then stalling out for field goals, which is the 9ers defensive way).
A) for what its worth i DO think rodgers played very well last season. guy was blanketing most of his assignments downfield and he got picks because of it. goldson also made a bunch of nice heads up plays on ball.
B) patrick willis was fucking EVERYWHERE. as someone who didnt really pay attention to them until recently, it really surprises me that he was constantly flying under the radar in the 'great defensive player' discussions
C1) while i dont think this is necessarily an inaccurate assessment, the 9ers also caused a ton of 3-6 outs and played tough coverage at times through and through. for what its worth, the steelers only had about 65 yards in what profootball reference is calling the "deep" part of the field. i think if it was just that easy, it woudlve been more of a problem than it ended up being. but the offensive division play was clearly not par with the rest of the league..so.....the fuck? djax pulled off 170 but lest we forget the eagles offense is fucking ridiculous.
C2) the interesting thing here is just how well positioned the 9ers are for the coming trends. theyll probably handle the multiple te thing very well and if running the ball to influence the defense is going to be the new cool thing then you want some guys who can play tough man to man so you can crunch down on the run game like they do.

which reminds me. went to the seahawks v titans preseason game. seahawks d looked very nice. they are disciplined and the secondary is pretty damn good for being full of nobodies. earl thomas is legitimately one of the best safeties in the league. turbin took the vast majority of the carries and ran the ball without dancing. flynn went like 11-13 70 yds int but checked down at LEAST half the time without letting plays develop. i dont think hes comfortable dropping back and so he took a bunch of snaps from gun basically to minimal effect. russel wilson on the other hand looked crisp as a motherfucker and i now think that when pete carroll says 'its a 3 way competition for qb' its real and not just some bullshit. russel wilson lead drives were easily the most productive (and he had a lot of the game). russel wilson looked GREAT except for a few plays where he got greedy. i would not be surprised if he is the starter. wilson went 12-16 124 1 td 1 int (and ran one in on the play action bootleg) but that int was some greedy goalline shit where he tried to float it in to a net of defenders. id love to see wilson going against first teamers. tarvaris didnt take a single snap (neither did the 4th stringer) but that could just be carroll trying to figure out how to evaluate qb play and assigning long stretches of game as opposed to a shorter rotation.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

ric wrote: A) for what its worth i DO think rodgers played very well last season. guy was blanketing most of his assignments downfield and he got picks because of it. goldson also made a bunch of nice heads up plays on ball.
B) patrick willis was fucking EVERYWHERE. as someone who didnt really pay attention to them until recently, it really surprises me that he was constantly flying under the radar in the 'great defensive player' discussions
C1) while i dont think this is necessarily an inaccurate assessment, the 9ers also caused a ton of 3-6 outs and played tough coverage at times through and through. for what its worth, the steelers only had about 65 yards in what profootball reference is calling the "deep" part of the field. i think if it was just that easy, it woudlve been more of a problem than it ended up being. but the offensive division play was clearly not par with the rest of the league..so.....the fuck? djax pulled off 170 but lest we forget the eagles offense is fucking ridiculous.
C2) the interesting thing here is just how well positioned the 9ers are for the coming trends. theyll probably handle the multiple te thing very well and if running the ball to influence the defense is going to be the new cool thing then you want some guys who can play tough man to man so you can crunch down on the run game like they do.
Yeah, I like the corners (Rogers is really good), Culliver is def developing, and Brown and (it looks like) Cox are pretty underrated. Whitner was just better in coverage than he's ever been before, and Goldson had a career year, but is only a slightly above average player (why they wouldn't pay him), and usually pretty below average in pass protection. Agreed on being well positioned, and Willis too. Next time you watch check for Bowman, #53, the other ILB. He was an All-Pro last year and there are starting to be rumblings in SF that he's as good as Willis. They have him for two more years, but I don't think they'll be able to keep him. http://footballoutsiders.com/stat-analy ... 11-defeats

ric wrote: which reminds me. went to the seahawks v titans preseason game. seahawks d looked very nice. they are disciplined and the secondary is pretty damn good for being full of nobodies. earl thomas is legitimately one of the best safeties in the league. turbin took the vast majority of the carries and ran the ball without dancing. flynn went like 11-13 70 yds int but checked down at LEAST half the time without letting plays develop. i dont think hes comfortable dropping back and so he took a bunch of snaps from gun basically to minimal effect. russel wilson on the other hand looked crisp as a motherfucker and i now think that when pete carroll says 'its a 3 way competition for qb' its real and not just some bullshit. russel wilson lead drives were easily the most productive (and he had a lot of the game). russel wilson looked GREAT except for a few plays where he got greedy. i would not be surprised if he is the starter. wilson went 12-16 124 1 td 1 int (and ran one in on the play action bootleg) but that int was some greedy goalline shit where he tried to float it in to a net of defenders. id love to see wilson going against first teamers. tarvaris didnt take a single snap (neither did the 4th stringer) but that could just be carroll trying to figure out how to evaluate qb play and assigning long stretches of game as opposed to a shorter rotation.
Just watched that game this morning. Agreed. Wilson scares the shit out of me. Flynn was too busy checking down to be able to tell either way, but Turbin looked good too. Really excited to watch the Hawks this year, although that will change if they're competing for the division. Luckily the Rams and Cards still look pretty awful at this point.

an-also

Post by an-also »

Luck's footwork in the pocket is pretty awesome. Dude is great as sliding to avoid pressure

alpha

Post by alpha »

ric wrote: as someone who didnt really pay attention to them until recently
QFT

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

an-also wrote:Luck's footwork in the pocket is pretty awesome. Dude is great as sliding to avoid pressure
He's gonna tear the league up, there will be a learning curve, but he's got the right stuff.

ric

Post by ric »

VideoKilledThe wrote:
an-also wrote:Luck's footwork in the pocket is pretty awesome. Dude is great as sliding to avoid pressure
He's gonna tear the league up, there will be a learning curve, but he's got the right stuff.
is donald brown their starting rb at this point? have you heard/seen if theyre going to rotate rbs in on a regular basis? im just thinking fantasy wise, the shit could be good value if they roll with one primary rb

@popeye
do not know why fitzgerald resigned with cardinals last year or the year before or whatever. i hope its because he likes living there for his sake

i did notice 53 around the ball a lot. that football outsiders article is actually pretty decent which is surprising. good look boss
:cheers:

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Pryor gonna win this...

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Or not. He blows.

alpha

Post by alpha »

fwiw, line couldnt block for shit and the times he did have protection noone was getting open. Still not an accurate passer at all tho.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Re: NFL Off Season 2012

Post by Reason »

According to FootballOutsiders.com, in 32 career games, Ryan Mathews has been on the injury report 15 times, or almost half his games.

That includes two games when he was listed as "questionable" and didn't play, and one game (Week 13, 2010) where he was actually listed as "Probable," was active for the game but didn't get on the field.

DAMN, homey
Nets 2022

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Ryan Matthews just isn't that good.

PEACE

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Godgers + 52 fucking nobodies: 10+ wins a year. Dude's feel for the pocket and ability to escape and strike is fucking unbelievable.

ric

Post by ric »

titans went five wide a bunch during the seahawks titans pre season and it looks like Locker is the man now.

YOU DUUUUUUHHHBB

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

Saw a comment about the Seahawks D-Backs earlier and I just wanna put this in now for the record: we have the best secondary in the league. No-namers my ass. Y'all wish you were Richard Sherman. Dude is gonna dominate fools. And he's the only starting D-Back who didnt' make it to the pro-bowl last year.

Oh, and hey Ric, fuck the Steelers. You PNW living motherfucker. Stealing titles and shit (pun intended you bitch).

downtown jewelry bryan

Post by downtown jewelry bryan »

seattle best secondary, SF best front 7. gonna be wars between these 2.
disco fries

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

BUFFALO BILLS ABOUT TO GET FUCKING WORKED, CHRISTIAN PONDER IS THE NEW JESUS. FUCK ALL OF YOU

SCOREBOARD TIME BITCHES

Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

will these fucking hacks stop mentioning the refs, your calls in the booth are just as awful as the calls on the field.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

PONDER MIGHT MAKE THE PRO BOWL

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

JEROME SIMPSON > HAKEEM NICKS, JERRY RICE

ric

Post by ric »

Stoned Starks wrote:Oh, and hey Ric, fuck the Steelers. You PNW living motherfucker. Stealing titles and shit (pun intended you bitch).
:rockout:
i will ride with the steelers period but since carroll came on board ive been interested with the seahawks and now that theyre basically zoning full time with a nutty skittles loving beast and some sweet d i am even more interested. for the record if they were playing some sort of patriots style of offense i wouldnt be as interested.

marshawn is interesting character though. was watching that show sound fx a couple weeks ago. cj spiller related this story to another player;
cjs; im sitting. they said i have turf toe
ml (serious); naswtf wash your feet more

hahaha

DLG

Post by DLG »

any sites out there for streaming preseason games?

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

CJ2K and Calvin both looked awesome last night.

DLG

Post by DLG »

JPP's gonna have 20 sacks this year.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Remember when Marvin Harrison was one of the best wideouts in the game for hella years and then he got away with murdering someone but never played another game? That was really something else, wasn't it?

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Antonio Brown really is about that YAC lyfe

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Can we please fuck off with the throwing of challenge flags on 13-yard catches at midfield in the first quarter of a God damned preseason game?

PEACE

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Refs gotta get in regular season mode too.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Young Drew offers up the gopher ball then comes back on the next drive and serves the Stillers some legitimate rape

PEACE

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

bet colinsworth would have gave Farve that touchdown.