Official 2009 MLB Season Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

DeffEnders

Post by DeffEnders »

Philaflava wrote:It was right around 2000 Pujols started becoming a real hitter in the minors. That was the time Sosa/McGwire were going deep in just about every at bat.
:naswtf: 2000 was his only year in the minors. He has been a "real" hitter every year of his career.
If he used roids, he is either still using or it didn't have much of an effect on his numbers.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

i've seen enough of duncan and ankiel, time to get rid of them

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

Wow the stros got pummeled gotta sleep that off. Glad to see Manny's back because the Dodgers gotta pad that lead in their division. Not saying they taking it back to Kirk gibson 88 but they crushing competition.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Truth. wrote:i've seen enough of duncan and ankiel, time to get rid of them
Word. Awful. Also, Thurston.

I can't wait for Glaus to come back. Jeez.
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Cody Ransom is the fucking worst.

Also, somebody send Joba back to the reservation until he remembers how to pitch please.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

:rofl:

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

Magneto wrote:

no quieres brett wallace?

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
Magneto wrote:

no quieres brett wallace?
Brett Wallace wont be up until next year, and probably not until September.
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

yeah but wouldn't you rather have him then glaus?

the walrus can rake.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Phillies just :copy: Johnny Cueto right in the balls. 9 runs in 2/3 of an inning. Literally took his era FOR THE YEAR from 2.69 to the mid 3's.

LOLOLOLOL

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

wow! a cool 900 Million for a partial ownership of the cubbies & cable rights

bang! big hitter isht
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Pirates trade Nyjer Morgan and Sean Burnett for Lastings Milledge and Joel Hanrahan

What a dumb trade for the Pirates.
I go on vacation and at the end of the week I was talking to someone from Pittsburgh in Jamaica and they told me about the trade. I almost threw a chair off the balcony. This organization just continues to piss me off so bad.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

The Blue Jays are officially ready to talk about a Halladay deal.
The asking price is going to be insane, but fuck it. Make it happen Amaro

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Take the entire FARM TEAM both AA and AAA. I don't care, I want Halladay.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Cashman

plz offer your soul to the devil to make halladay a yankee

thx

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

First, let's take a look at what a team would be getting on the field:

Halladay is 32 years old.
From 2006-2008 he averaged 17 wins, 7 losses, a 3.22 ERA, 6.2 strikeouts and 1.6 walks per nine innings.
This season, he is 10-2 with a 2.79 ERA. Opponents are hitting .250 off of him.
Halladay is 17-8 with a 3.02 ERA in 35 career interleague appearances.
Halladay was on the disabled list twice with shoulder problems in 2004, and missed the second half of 2005 after breaking his leg. But he has been mostly healthy since, although he did spend time on the DL in 2007 after an appendectomy.
The Phillies coaching staff likes Halladay a lot.
Second let's take a look at his contract:

Halladay is in the second year of a three-year, $40 million contract
He is scheduled to early $14.25 million this season, which means the Phillies would be adding roughly $7.125 million of payroll for the rest of this season.
Halladay is scheduled to earn $15.75 million in 2010, after which he will become a free agent.
Third, let's take a look at the Phillies' bargaining chips:

OF Dominic Brown: Rated by Baseball America as the organization's top prospect, he is currently on the disabled list with a broken finger, but that shouldn't limit his value. The 21-year-old left-handed hitting corner outfielder was hitting .299 with a .379 On Base Percentage with nine home runs, 38 RBI and 14 stolen bases at Class A Clearwater.
RHP Kyle Drabek: He has been tearing up Double-A Reading, and at just 21 years old may be on the verge of surpassing Carlos Carrasco as the organization's top pitching prospect.
LHP J.A. Happ: Happ recently recorded his first career complete game shutout against the Blue Jays and has been fantastic the last two seasons. Scouts don't think he has the upside of a Buchholz, but with five more years of club control and an impressive start to his career, he has value.
INF Jason Donald: He has battled injury and performance issues since his promotion to Triple-A, but he is still viewed as one of the Phillies' better prospects.
C Lou Marson: Like Donald, has had a so-so year at Triple-A. But, also like Donald, he is the closest thing the organization has to a major-league-ready bat, and he plays a premium position.
OF Michael Taylor: You know all about him already. If you don't, check out his stats at Double-A Reading.
RHP Carlos Carrasco: Kind of in the Gavin Floyd mold. Great stuff, but he still does not have the major league makeup. Then again, he is only 22 years old.
OF John Mayberry: Has drifted back and forth between the Phils and Lehigh Valley. Big-time power, but won't be an everyday player in Philly for at least another year-and-a-half.
Now, let's try to formulate what kind of package it would take to land Halladay:

As far as comparables, the best place to start is with the Brewers' acquisition of C.C. Sabathia last season.
To land Sabathia, the Brewers parted with power-hitting outfielder Matt LaPorta, who was not only their top prospect, but one of the top prospects in the game. They also gave up LHP Zach Jackson, RHP Rob Bryson, and 3B Taylor Green. None of those players were among the organization's top prospects.

But keep in mind, Sabathia was a free agent at the end of the season. Halladay has the added value of being under contract for next season.

So what will the Blue Jays be looking for?

I'd guess - and, again, it just a guess -- it will be something like this: One top-prospect with big major league upside (Brown, Drabek) one prospect who is close to major-league ready (Happ, Donald, Marson), one or two medium-level prospects (Kendrick, Carpenter, Mayberry etc) and one prospect from the lower levels of the system. The wild card in all of this is Carrasco. I'm just not sure how the Phillies or other teams view him. He could fit into either of the top two categories.

So here are some packages I'll throw out there. You tell me which ones wouldn't make sense for the Phillies:

Dominic Brown, J.A. Happ, Kyle Kendrick, John Mayberry Jr.
Drabek, Jason Donald or Lou Marson, Andrew Carpenter, Player TBA
Drabek, J.A. Happ, John Mayberry Jr., Player TBA
Drabek, Michael Taylor, J.A. Happ, Player TBA
Dominic Brown, Carlos Carrasco, Lou Marson, Kyle Kendrick
Frankly, I don't know how much sense it would make to give up J.A. Happ, because although you up drastically upgrade the top of your rotation, you still have a big hole at the bottom of it. Then again, I like Happ a lot, and I think he brings a lot of things to the table that do not show up on radar guns and scouting reports. Who knows if the front office feels the same way -- his name has been linked in several proposed deals over the past year. At the same time, I don't know how much sense it would make for the Blue Jays to give up Halladay without getting a pitcher who can step into the rotation.

Whatever happens, at least it gives folks something to talk about.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

jon heyman said that the phillies and yankees would be the top contenders for Halladay

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Why would the Bluejays trade him within the division? Philly seems more realistic but I still don't buy it.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

i hear you.

but if the best deal they got was inside the division, would you turn it down?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Boston has the chips if they went within. Dodgers are a good fit too.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

boston always has the chips.

i hate them.

unless the dodgers were willing to move kershaw, i doubt they'd get Halladay.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I don't think the Blue Jays would ever trade a player that dominant within the division. If he becomes a Yankee or a Red Sock, its almost a 100% chance they extend him and then they have to face him for a long time.
Besides, any Halladay trade discussion with those teams would start with Bucholz and Joba, and neither of them would pull the trigger on that.

Phillies have an advantage in that our trading chips haven't made a serious impact yet, and therefore are more moveable. Happ will not be a part of any deal for this same reason, he's up and pitching well and we need him. Now that it appears that Taylor is legit, I don't have much of a problem moving him with Brown in the system. Our outfield is set for the next 2-3 years anyways. We have the pitching and position prospects to get it done, and we are by far the most motivated contender. Halladay for this and next year gives us two very legitimate chances at another title.

I don't think the Dodgers will make a deal because I don't think they are willing to take on the extra money (they made Red Sox pay Manny's salary last year, remember), plus Ricciardi is almost definitely going to ask for Kershaw, and thats just not going to go down.

Rangers might be a sleeper threat. The AL West is up for grabs, that team only needs to get in the playoffs and they could do some serious damage with a legitimate ace. Rangers have never really been scared of spending money historically either.

Other contenders:
Mariners - No. Bad taste in their mouths after the Bedard trade.
Angels - Always too scared to trade their top prospects. Never make major moves.
Cardinals - See Angels. Also no good pitching prospects.
Mets - no farm system
Braves - Need bats, not arms.
Marlins - Won't take on salary, covet young players.
Cubs - No good prospects outside of Vitters and he's probably not enough to get a deal done.
Brewers - Sleeper #2. Not scared of making a big deal, have a wealth of position prospects to trade, including big league ready guys who are blocked in the majors (Escobar blocked by Hardy, Gamel blocked by Fielder)
Tigers - Already in over their heads payroll wise, don't have any pitching prospects other than Porcello who isn't going anywhere.
Colorado & San Fran - neither really has a shot at catching LA, you don't make a deal like Halladay while hoping for the wild card.
Twins - They couldn't keep Santana, they aren't going to go after Halladay.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

fuck wat ya heard bitches!!! ima see CC sabathia pitch live tonight !!
:cheers: :rockout: :bunny: :hyphy: :face: :copy: :megaman:
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:Cashman

plz offer your soul to the devil to make halladay a yankee

thx
Hughes + Austin Jackson + any prospect of their choice not named Jesus Montero + Yankees eating all of Vernon Wells remaining contract

Doubt that would get it done, or that Cashman would make such an offer, but i'm willing to go that far.

I'd give my left nut to see Halladay in pinstripes.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Wouldn't mind him going to the NL though.

As long as I don't have to see him obliterate the Yankees ever again.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Tommy Bunz wrote:I don't think the Blue Jays would ever trade a player that dominant within the division. If he becomes a Yankee or a Red Sock, its almost a 100% chance they extend him and then they have to face him for a long time.
Besides, any Halladay trade discussion with those teams would start with Bucholz and Joba, and neither of them would pull the trigger on that.
False.

I think both the Red Sox and the Yankees would consider dealing both players for Halladay, respectively.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:I don't think the Blue Jays would ever trade a player that dominant within the division. If he becomes a Yankee or a Red Sock, its almost a 100% chance they extend him and then they have to face him for a long time.
False.

I think both the Red Sox and the Yankees would consider dealing both players for Halladay, respectively.
If they wouldn't do it a year and a half ago for Santana, why would they do it for Halladay?

Honestly though, Ricciardi isn't going to let him go to the AL East. The only reason he's considering moving Halladay is to help them compete in the division in the future. Putting the best pitcher in the division in the hands of the enemy is not going to help them in any way.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

According to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark, the Phillies are "more interested" in free agent Pedro Martinez "than they're letting on."
The Phils sent special assistant to the general manager Charlie Kerfeld to the Dominican Republic Tuesday to watch Pedro throw. The club won't hand Martinez the $5 million he's seeking, notes Stark's sources, but their offer could be around that. The 37-year-old is 214-99 with a 2.91 career earned run average, but went 5-6 with a 5.61 ERA last season for the Mets. Jul. 7 - 7:22 pm et

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Tommy Bunz wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:
False.

If they wouldn't do it a year and a half ago for Santana, why would they do it for Halladay?
because Halladay is proven to go a full game when at the time, people thought santana was on the downswing......also because halladay is a proven AL East winner.