2010 Official Boxing Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Klitschkos are the most boring and scared heavywieght champs I have ever seen. Jab for 11 round and go for the KO in the 12th against a bum??

The Aluminum Falcon

Post by The Aluminum Falcon »

yeah but I can't really hate on Vitali as much as Wlad and they're not to blame for the opposition out there. Chambers was America's best shot imo, David Haye is next if he doesn't pussy out. The Klits remind me of Floyd, boring and dominant. I don't see anybody fucking with the two headed monster any time soon.

mud

Post by mud »

The Aluminum Falcon wrote: they're not to blame for the opposition out there.
Exactly.
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

mud wrote:
The Aluminum Falcon wrote: they're not to blame for the opposition out there.
Exactly.
Yea, but they could at least stop being so passive when they are so much better.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

The Aluminum Falcon wrote:
"Thereג€™s (Antonio) Margarito, (Edwin) Valero, or (Juan Manuel) Marquez,ג€ Bob Arum, Manila Bulletin
If May or Mosely does not go through and Pac does not move up in weight should go back down to 140 and fight Timothy Bradley.. I would also say Devon Alexander but he needs a little more hype before that happens.

The Aluminum Falcon

naturalborn103 wrote:
"Thereג€™s (Antonio) Margarito, (Edwin) Valero, or (Juan Manuel) Marquez,ג€ Bob Arum, Manila Bulletin
If May or Mosely does not go through and Pac does not move up in weight should go back down to 140 and fight Timothy Bradley.. I would also say Devon Alexander but he needs a little more hype before that happens.
they should have taken Berto instead of Clottey. He had a belt, as fucked up as it sounds they could have hyped up the Haiti tragedy, he has a more agressive style, has a bigger fanbase, would get knocked out by Pac and set up a mega welterweight unification bout with the winner of Mosley- May.

but it's Bob Arum and top rank. get ready for Pac NOT to fight the winner of mosley and may, just sayin.

The Aluminum Falcon

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tEJ8qRDO9Ko&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tEJ8qRDO9Ko&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

The Aluminum Falcon wrote:Image
:lol: I rewound this like 15 times when it happened.

Orale Holmes

Post by Orale Holmes »

naturalborn103 wrote:
Devon Alexander and Tim Bradley need to fight the likes of Victor Ortiz and Mike Alvarado. Let them try that first before we jump them into a May/Mos/Pac fight. Id venture they both would lose.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Maybe Devon Alexander, but Tim Bradley is solidified in my mind. No need to fight Ortiz or Alvarado. It would at the least be a much better fight then Velera, Margirito, or Marquez... But I understand it is boxing and there is nothing a manager loves better then a in-house fight.

The Aluminum Falcon

yeah so basically everything is happening tomorrow.
BoxingScene's TV Picks of the (Yearג€™s Best) Week (So Far)

By Cliff Rold

Anyone bitching this week, with this schedule, isnג€™t really a boxing fan.

Sorry.

Theyג€™re just not.

Every fight might not turn out to be good. All of the best fights wonג€™t be instantly available. However, anyone who claims to love boxing, who knows what theyג€™re looking at on the schedule between March 26 and 27, 2010 and doesnג€™t get a little shiver of excitement down their spine, is living a lie.

U.S. fans HAD a pretty nifty little ESPN2 Friday show on the way but it has ultimately fallen apart (see the main page for lots of headlines and details).

That still leaves two major U.S. aired broadcasts and some incredible overseas action to look forward to.

These are the picks of the week.

Pick Super (Six): #3 Arthur Abraham vs. #7 Andre Dirrell (Saturday, Showtime, 10:30 PM EST/PST)

After a short delay, what looks to be the most intriguing style clash of Stage Two of the Super Six Super Middleweight tournament is upon usג€¦just in time to announce a delay in the Andre Ward-Allan Green fight originally scheduled for next month. While the delays have some grumpy, they arenג€™t that bad and push the tournament back from original schedules just a little bit. Abraham (31-0, 25 KO) and Dirrell (18-1, 13 KO) is whatג€™s happening now and, as a stand-alone fight, itג€™s solid. Abraham has never faced anyone this elusive; Dirrell has never seen anyone who can punch like this. The implications for the tournament add to the allure. A win, or draw, for Abraham guarantees him a slot in the semi-finals. A knockout win probably guarantees him the number one seed (if seeding there will be). Dirrell, whose points defeat to Carl Froch in round one remains controversial amongst some viewers, needs at least a draw to keep himself from a third round which would likely demand for a knockout win. Arguably the most athletically gifted fighter in the Super Six, Dirrell over Abraham would supplant Ward over Mikkel Kessler as the biggest upset so far. This is Saturdayג€™s must see ג€œliveג€ show.

Pick B.A.D. DVR: Maidana-Cayo AND Funeka-Guzman II (Saturday, HBO, 10:30 PM EST/PST)

How big of a star is Amir Khan expected to be? How much protection are his handlers willing to provide with the belief? Those answers begin unfolding this weekend in an excellent Jr. Welterweight match between #7 Marcos Maidana (27-1, 26 KO) and undefeated Victor Cayo (24-0, 16 KO). Maidana should be challenging for Khanג€™s WBA belt; instead, this bout for the interim WBA honors takes place as Maidana is kept on T.V. but away from Khan. Why? See: Khan KO by 1 Breidis Prescott or just see Maidana beat the ג€œpotential starג€ out of Victor Ortiz. On the undercard, #3 Lightweight Ali Funeka (30-2-3, 25 KO) will attempt to kick #7 Joan Guzmanג€™s (29-0-1, 17 KO) ass for a second time in the hopes that he can leave with a victory just once. Letג€™s be clear; that is what happened the first time they met last November. Funeka beat Guzman down only to be slapped with some of the most criminal judging of recent years. Guzman is bound to be better this timeג€¦will Funeka even be as good? Fans of another time will remember that, after laying a whooping on the great Azumah Nelson only to be jailhoused with a draw verdict in 1991, Jeff Fenech was never the same in the ring again. No fighter ever took his heart but worthless, disgraceful judging might have. Letג€™s hope for Funekaג€™s sake history does not repeat itself any more than it already has.

Pick Earth: Big Fights Abound

Those who appreciate the ability of technology to shrink the world will find no better time than this Friday and Saturday. Hereג€™s some of what to look for (and still not all of whatג€™s to come; this is just the likely best of it) in a weekend with multiple Fight of the Year potentials unfolding:

ג€¢ Likely a YouTube searcher, #3 Strawweight Raul Garcia (27-0, 16 KO, IBF) and Nkosinathi Joyi (20-0, 15 KO) lock horns in a potential Fight of the Year candidate Friday;

ג€¢ On U.S. pay-per-view Saturday, there is the comeback of Erik Morales with an undercard featuring Hugo Garay-Chris Henry at Light Heavyweight and a look at thrilling #1 105 lb. titlist Roman Gonzalez (these Integrated Sports shows tend to kick butt);

ג€¢ Fox Sports Net has former 108 lb. titlist, #6 Ulises Solis (29-2-2, 20 KO) locking up with veteran Bert Batawang (as always, because who knows if or when these shows will be pre-empted, CHECK LOCAL LISTINGS on Saturday)
And thatג€™s not even the best of it because, at 112 and 118 lbs., the matching gets even better for those willing to spend even more time on YouTube and Google Video.

ג€¢ In Japan, Lineal World Flyweight champ Koki Kameda (22-0, 14 KO) makes his first defense of the crown against the divisionג€™s record holder for consecutive defenses, #3 Pongsaklek Wonjongkam (74-3-1, 39 KO). Kameda won the title from Wonjongkamג€™s longtime rival, and the man who ended the Thai greatג€™s reign, Daisuke Naito. Ring Magazine will recognize the winner as champ which is just a peach when considering that if theyג€™d just gone with the lineage found in their own back issues, the vacant sign could have been turned off from jump; and

ג€¢ In Venzuela, the WBA Bantamweight title is up for grabs as titlist Anselmo Moreno (28-1-1, 10 KO) and interim titlist Nehomar Cermeno (19-0, 11 KO) gear up for another of the weekendג€™s potential Fights of the Year. Seriouslyג€¦two Panamanian-born warriors scrapping on the WBAג€™s big annual card? Blood will be spilled and Moreno is one to watch. If he wins, is the hold Hozumi Hasegawa has on the #1 spot at 118 really that strong? Is Moreno deserving of consideration as a pound-for-pound level talent in the way Hasegawaג€™s esteem has been growing. Bantamweight is a special place right now.

This weekend is a special time for fight fans.
oh and Yuriorkis Gamboa is fighting in germany tomorrow too.

The Aluminum Falcon

Tonight
HBO
Marcos Maidana vs. Victor Cayo
Funeka vs Guzman 2(funeka got robbed horribly last time)
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TD-CQ39tr0Q&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TD-CQ39tr0Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
:lol: @ the mullet

don't know much about Cayo but I'm a big fan of Maidana after he got off the canvas 3 times to beat up oscar's golden prospect victor ortiz, that fight was phenomenal.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wjkoubzh0xY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wjkoubzh0xY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Tonight
SHOWTIME
Round 2 of the Super Six tournament starts things off with the young and talented Andre Dirrell getting in the ring with the powerful and experienced Arthur Abraham. Can the "Matrix" box and move his way to a 12 round decision or will king Arthur find a way to do what Froch could not.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pj40qrvuiso&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pj40qrvuiso&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Im thinking Maidana by KO(although I know nothing about Cayo)
Funeka by UD
I think Dirrell can win this but the judges might fuck him over.

:icedit:
also Cuban Yuriorkis Gamboa, who now lives in Miami, returns to where he started his professional career in Germany to fight undefeated Jonathan Victor Barros. Gamboa most recently destroyed Roger Mtgawa inside of 2 rounds and will more than likely add Barros to his list.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w32aohgV_j8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w32aohgV_j8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
:ohsh:

dubs

Post by dubs »

naturalborn103 wrote:
The Aluminum Falcon wrote:Image
:lol: I rewound this like 15 times when it happened.

Emanuel Augustus originated this. Not to take away from pac, but ...

0:15 seconds in.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8iuqVeTyQQ8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8iuqVeTyQQ8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dude has crazy .gif potential.

The Aluminum Falcon

:lol: yeah, he invented a lot of shit in the ring.

dubs

Post by dubs »

**SPOILER**

Maidana is the truth.

ADR

Post by ADR »

Andre Dirrell is all kinds of pussy.

Replay of last night's fight:

dubs

Post by dubs »

I real life LOL'd.
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Only fight i saw was Maidana vs Cayo.. Not sure why his corner didn't tell Cayo to put his hands up. He had a lot of raw talent, speed and power, but technically he was HORRIBLE.

The Aluminum Falcon

Maidana is a bad man and Abraham fucked up and earned that DQ he got. Gamboa won a 12 rounder with a knockdown and apparently Morales won his "comeback" fight. All I know is that Maidana can give anyone at 140 some serious problems and is probably one of the most exciting fighters out there to watch.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Does anyone have video of the punch that got Abraham DQed?
The Aluminum Falcon wrote:All I know is that Maidana can give anyone at 140 some serious problems and is probably one of the most exciting fighters out there to watch.
He is exciting to watch and has some serious serious power, but I think if he does not get KO off one punch the top boxers at 140 can outpoint him pretty easily.

dubs

Post by dubs »

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KceqVTs6Eyg&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KceqVTs6Eyg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Thanks... Fucking Germans...

The Aluminum Falcon

Arthur is a Armenian

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

The Aluminum Falcon wrote:Arthur is a Armenian
... Oh. Why did I think he was German?

*edit* I just looked it up in boxrec and it said
nationality Germany
residence Berlin, Germany
birth place Yerevan, Armenia
birth name Avetik Abrahamyan

ADR

Post by ADR »

I usually lurk Steve Kim's twitter for boxing scoops every couple days,

Paul williams-Kermit Cintron is official for the Home Depot Center on May 8th. Presser this Thursday in LA #boxing
If Celly Caballero beats Duad 'Air' Yordan on April 10th, look for a showdown against Yuriorkis Gamboa in July on HBO #boxing

:cheers: to both. Been looking to see more of Yordan since he made Guerrero quit.

The Aluminum Falcon

Let's talk 140.

***THE CHAMP***

Timothy "Desert Storm" Bradley 25-0(11ko)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbHw45IZxl8
unfortunately Bradley's next scheduled fight is at 147 against Abregu due to being ducked and avoided. But he has earned his spot on top of the division since Pacquiao abandoned the division to fight Cotto. Hopefully Bradley's stay at welterweight will be short lived and he will return to defend his title. The undefeated, skilled and fast handed Bradley may be the best young fighter America has to offer right now.

***THE CHALLENGERS***

Devon "Alexander the Great" Alexander 20-0(13ko)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxHsJF137Eo
A very impressive young and undefeated fighter, Alexander most recently proved his worth in knocking out a gatekeeper named Juan Urango. Alexander has all the tools to become the man at 140 but much is still unknown about him.

Amir Khan 22-1(16ko)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_lGLce3Gqs&feature=fvw
the fast, powerful and accurate Amir Khan should be a danger to anyone at this weight but one there is some concern of the man's chin after being knocked out early by Prescott. Amir seems set on proving to the public that it was a fluke and with new trainer freddie roach in his corner and world class sparring it should be an eventful year for Khan.

Marcos "El Chino" Maidana 28-1(27ko)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD-CQ39tr0Q
is Marcos Maidana just another Juan Urango? or will he prove to be more of what a young Hatton was. A flawed but dangerous and somewhat dirty fighter that shows the kind of determination in the ring a pitbull could admire Marcos Maidana became a star over night after beating Oscar's prized prospect Victor Ortiz. can Maidana find a way to make these boxers fight his fight or will he thoroughly outboxed by the top competition?

"Vicious" Victor Ortiz 26-2-1(21ko)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p2LgIB0oVI
A young and talented fighter with great boxing ability and power but lacking in toughness, when faced with adversity against Maidana Victor called it quits saying he would rather preserve his health than engage in a war with "El Chino". Can Ortiz actually become a champ without the heart and mindset of one?

Paulie "The Magic Man" Malignaggi 27-3(5ko)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anRvoj8N ... re=related
Ok first of all google this man's name and try not to find a gay picture of him, it's impossible. as much as we all may dislike Paulie he is a feather fisted, iron chinned, crafty and fast boxer. A boxer may not feel like they are in great danger climbing into the ring with the magic man, but they will always be in danger of being outpointed by a man who as of late, has looked even more impressive than before. was it just the competition or has paulie stepped his game up recently? that question will be answered very soon when he gets in the ring with Amir Khan

Nate "The Galaxy Warrior" Campbell 33-5-1(25ko)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v3oAVeRIjc
age can be deceiving, nate has power in both hands and the skills to put them on you(no homo). When he isn't dropping his hands and getting knocked the fuck out, quitting over head butts or not making weight he is a hell of a fighter, and with the competition he has fought over the years good luck trying something on Campbell he hasn't seen before.

***THE WILD CARDS***

Edwin Valero 27-0(27ko)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcbLZE-N ... re=related
Heavy handed southpaw lightweight champ. When valero isn't busy beating up his own mother or wife he makes a living knocking guys out. Unfortunately for Valero he lacks a lot of skill and is there to be hit. Fortunately for me he is a scumbag and I would enjoy watching him get his ass beat.

Ricky "The Hitman" Hatton 45-2(32ko)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xODwuVM ... re=related
Rumors of retirement are all the talk after Hatton fell victim to Pacquiao in the second round, his chin is not what it once was and his lifestyle outside of the ring is not just unhealthy, it is probably a indicator of how passionate he is these days. Clearly Ricky is not the fighter he used to be but for all the criticism he has gotten lately people seem to lose sight of the fact that he only lost twice to the best fighters in the world at the time.

Juan Manuel "Dinamita" Marquez 50-5(37ko)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGqWEqpPdH8
what are the chances of JMM fighting at 140? there certainly is some potential for big fights at that weight but it's no secret that JMM hasn't carried the weight as well as pac. Can he be a legitimate threat at this weight? I wouldn't underestimate him.

Manny "Pac-Man" Pacquiao 51-3(38ko)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HliNmW06zfc
considering Manny just fought Mega-Star Joshua Clottey and a lot pending on the Mosley- May fight thats coming up his future seems unclear, I doubt Pac would return to this weight but there is always a small chance.
Last edited by The Aluminum Falcon on Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

The Aluminum Falcon wrote: Image
Amir Khan 22-1(16ko)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_lGLce3Gqs&feature=fvw
the fast, powerful and accurate Amir Khan should be a danger to anyone at this weight but one there is some concern of the man's chin after being knocked out early by Prescott. Amir seems set on proving to the public that it was a fluke and with new trainer freddie roach in his corner and world class sparring it should be an eventful year for Khan.
:lol: at who he is picking to fight after the embarrassment with Prescott.. He is trying his hardest to duck power punches.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

I'm watching Hopkins/Jones Jr. and it's been hilarious. They fucking hate each other.

They've been blasting each other in the balls and hitting each other in the back of the head all night. Hopkins went crazy on Jones after the first one.

These guys are obviously done, but this has been entertaining.

Hopkins should win this if it goes to decision.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

binary

Post by binary »

Losing a lot of respect of Hopkins in this fight, the dude is taking acting to a new level, it's pretty embarrassing. It's also pretty much the worst fight I've ever seen.