2011 NFL Draft/Offseason Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Video, what do you think the odds are that Alex Smith is still on the team this season?

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Jayou Ayen wrote:Video, what do you think the odds are that Alex Smith is still on the team this season?

I know you address aint me and all, but I think the chances he returns are high. Especially considering the labor uncertainty, and the lack of quality available alternatives.

He and Harbaugh have already had meetings this offseason apparently. And Alex is a pretty likable, from all accounts, so I'm sure he interviews well. I dont think there will be any commitment by the Niners to him guarenteeing that, if he resigns, he will start, but I do think they will bring him back to compete for a role in some capacity. And he showed some flashes of ability, as he does every fucking year, that coaches are drawn to in hopes they can revive his once promising career.

If they are able to move for McNabb or someone else though, of course all bets are off on the Niners side of things. But I can't imagine Smith has a gang of teams beating down his door and requesting he come play for them either.

PEACE

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

peanut butter wrote: But I can't imagine Smith has a gang of teams beating down his door and requesting he come play for them either.
"Football people" like Smith A LOT more than fans, it's a horrible year for FA QBs (like usual), a really down year for college QBs, and there's an unusually high number of teams that need QB help.

If Vince Young wasn't the Charlie Sheen of the NFL it might be a different story, but Smith is pretty much the consensus #1 FA QB, despite sucking.

He'll get a lot of interest. I'm guessing he'll come back to the 9ers for a year or two if:

1) The CBA doesn't get fixed before mini-camps or pre-season.

and

2) He's primarily drawing backup interest or interest from teams with defensive minded head coaches.

If he can put up with the fans a year or two in SF with offensive weapons and a "QB genius" head coach would put him in the best position to be getting starter money again in a couple years. FWIW Harbaugh is making the hard public push to keep him too, which I can't imagine hurts perceptions of his value either.

an-also

Post by an-also »

Lovie Smith extended for two more years.

Spiccoli

Post by Spiccoli »

if alex smith stays with jim harbaugh and is the starter this next year, he will have a strong season. bookmark it. quote me on it later.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Jayou Ayen wrote:Video, what do you think the odds are that Alex Smith is still on the team this season?
I am pretty sure he will be back next year. He and Harbough have meet on multiple occasions, and from everything I've heard those meetings have been very positive. Match that with a weak QB FA class, and there not being any stand out franchise guys in the draft, and I would bet Alex Smith has another year with the Niners.

Not too happy about it, but all the other options seem at best to be stop gap guys, ie not much better than Smith.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Sources: Cam Newton thrown for loop
EmailPrintComments
By Adam Schefter
ESPN.com
Archive

Newton Meets With Cowboys
Cam Newton talks about his meeting with Cowboys
Tags: Dallas Cowboys, Cam Newton
VIDEO PLAYLIST

Newton Meets With Cowboys
Scouting Combine Update
Cowboys Not Ruling Out Cam Newton
Cam Newton and Ryan Mallett
During an interview in Indianapolis at the NFL combine on Thursday night, an unidentified team cracked the poise former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton tried to display while meeting with the media Saturday, a league source said.

According to the source, an NFL assistant coach questioned Newton about why he disobeyed his coach's orders in the BCS National Championship Game. Newton ran a quarterback sneak toward the end of the game rather than take a knee as he was instructed.

2011 NFL Draft
The Carolina Panthers are officially on the clock. Stay tuned to the Scouts Inc. blog for all your NFL draft coverage. Blog

ג€¢ Blog: NFL combine coverage
ג€¢ Mel Kiper: The Big Board | Index
ג€¢ Todd McShay: Latest mock draft
ג€¢ Projected order | Underclassmen
ג€¢ Draft Home | Draft on Twitter

Newton was not expecting the NFL to ask him about the incident and did not have a favorable reaction, according to league sources. He got defensive, sources said.

Asked about the interviews, Newton said, "Each and every team keeps you on your toes."

Before taking a single question during his long-awaited appearance before the media at the NFL scouting combine, Newton attempted to put out a different fire.

In a prepared statement, the former Auburn quarterback tried to clarify a recent comment in which he described himself as "not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon."

Newton noticed the wave of negative reaction and felt he was misunderstood. The Heisman Trophy winner spent his first minute at the podium on Saturday explaining where his focus will be in the future, and later said that he was at fault for being unclear.

"First and foremost, I understand that my obligation is to be the best possible football player I can be," he said. "I know and believe that."

His comment drew such a reaction because some say his swagger teeters on the edge of pure arrogance. In roughly 12 minutes at the podium, he referred to himself in the third person three times. When asked if some mistake his confidence for cockiness, he said: "I'm not sure, but I'm a confident person, and it was instilled in myself at an early age to believe in myself."

Controversy, it seems, follows Newton.

Cam has said his relationship with his father is good, months after a controversy involving Cecil called Cam's eligibility at Auburn into question.

The NCAA ruled in December that Cam was unaware of the pay-for-play scheme created by Cecil and the owner of a scouting service. Cecil Newton and Kenny Rogers -- a former Mississippi State player who worked for an agent -- sought money for the quarterback to play for the Bulldogs.

Newton said Saturday at the NFL scouting combine that the scrutiny helped he and his father become closer.

Newton won the Heisman Trophy and a national championship before declaring himself eligible for the NFL draft.
Nets 2022

GLUS

Post by GLUS »

hey guys atdhe.net and channelsurfing got shut down...thats how i watched nfl network...do you guys know another streaming site?

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

atdhenet.tv

or SPORTstreaming.net

...edit or you could just go to nfl.com which has a live stream of the combine up, and a bunch of other videos of past days events.
Last edited by VideoKilledThe on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Julio Jones is going to be amazing in Madden next year...if there is a madden next year???

and somebody will be trading up to get Paea

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

GLUS wrote:hey guys atdhe.net and channelsurfing got shut down...thats how i watched nfl network...do you guys know another streaming site?
i dont know why i forget the big event that happened recently but channel surfing moved here channelsurf.eu/

i would die if that shit was permanently gone

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

No Escobar but CP7 is going to be the best QB in this class

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

atdhe.me works as well

PEACE

GLUS

Post by GLUS »

:cheers:

As of right now, I want Von Miller

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

GLUS wrote::cheers:

As of right now, I want Von Miller
yea he looked a cut above everyone else today, the guys at NFL network said his numbers are comparable to the ones Demarcus Ware posted.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Julio Jones ran a 4.39 on a busted foot that he needs surgery on :ohsh: . He's 220 too which really puts it into perspective on what a freak athlete he is.

He's going to be something serious if he can stay healthy. Even with the various injuries that he suffered through during his college career, it was damn near impossible to keep him off the field.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Big Breeze wrote:Julio Jones ran a 4.39 on a busted foot that he needs surgery on :ohsh: . He's 220 too which really puts it into perspective on what a freak athlete he is.

He's going to be something serious if he can stay healthy. Even with the various injuries that he suffered through during his college career, it was damn near impossible to keep him off the field.
Jones is certainly a freak of an athlete and a player i have followed closely since high school. I think he will be a very good pro but there is still this nagging little voice in my head that says "David Boston 2.0"......
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

David Boston was a fucking beast.

Sorry, that's all I got

PEACE

Spiccoli

Post by Spiccoli »

peanut butter wrote:David Boston was a fucking beast.

Sorry, that's all I got

PEACE
yeah a beast who was more concerned with nipple piercings and colored contact lenses than catching footballs.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

It's funny how we have all these recent posts about David Boston all of sudden. One of my homeboys from my hood and a high school classmate of mine, Ken-Yon Rambo played with him at Ohio State. He said that on the low that they were supplied designer steroids that could get past detection. The homie claimed that he never took them while his other teammates did. He said that Boston was one of the players that did too. With my boy not taking the steroids, it might explain why his own NFL career may not have been up to par. That and his ablility too.

I don't think it was any coincidence when Boston graduated to other steroids and got caught when he tried to be too slick. He was built like a tight end playing wide receiver.

Another one of my homies who played at Arizona in the early 90's when Tedy Bruschi was there can speak on the Ohio State steroid connection. My dude Roderick Lewis played with the Oilers and the Titans with Eddie George. He would say that George and Joey Galloway, Shawn Springs, and other Buckeyes would all train in Columbus and no outsiders were allowed. He said that whenever they returned from working out there, that they were all bigger, faster and stronger than they were before. The homie asked Eddie directly what was goin on a few times because they were really cool, but Eddie never wanted to say what was up.
Last edited by Big Breeze on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiccoli

Post by Spiccoli »

It's no coincidence that players from the U are also so manic about training in florida during the off season. designer juice is all over the place down there. the idea that the NFL tackled their roids problem early so its not an issue with the modern player is silly. the nfl having a strong steriod policy for so long only means that nfl players have had longer to figure out ways to game the system.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Spiccoli wrote:It's no coincidence that players from the U are also so manic about training in florida during the off season. designer juice is all over the place down there. the idea that the NFL tackled their roids problem early so its not an issue with the modern player is silly. the nfl having a strong steriod policy for so long only means that nfl players have had longer to figure out ways to game the system.
Like Ray Lewis, another U and Florida native, drinking deer antler extract because it has the same chemical effect on the body as HGH, yet can't be detected unless by a blood test (something no major league allows).

My dream selection for the Niners is Pat Peterson, but he is probably going Top 5. I'd be cool with us going Prince Amukamara, Julio Jones, or Von Miller, and 7 is not a bad spot to grab any of those guys.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Good news, judged ruled in favor of the players against the owners illegal war chest if this ruling holds up this should push the owners to a reasonable position and to the table.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

http://www.realclearsports.com/lists/nf ... k_combine/

list seems a little sketchy to me, but there is...

alex smith is going to be in a 49ers jersey, 100% ...just know it. it makes sense, unfortunately.

an-also

Post by an-also »

edit. Wrong thread

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Prince and Peterson both had great workouts at the combine. I watched both of them play a good amount the last few years and I don't think you can go wrong with either, but if I had to choose one I'd take Prince because I think he is more of an Nnamdi type that won't have the ball thrown in his direction after his first year in the league. Peterson isn't as physical, but you can't fuck with his skill level and can recover better to people getting behind him (nh). To me, Peterson could be a better tackling version of Cromartie.

Now that I've said that, Prince will probably turn into Mike Rumph and Peterson will be Deion.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Don't you ever bring up Mike Rumph again.

Fuck Mike Rumph.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

VideoKilledThe wrote:Don't you ever bring up Mike Rumph again.

Fuck Mike Rumph.
I thought I'd never see or hear that name again. The horror....the horror...

ric

Post by ric »

ThaJim2 wrote:Good news, judged ruled in favor of the players against the owners illegal war chest if this ruling holds up this should push the owners to a reasonable position and to the table.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

ric wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:Good news, judged ruled in favor of the players against the owners illegal war chest if this ruling holds up this should push the owners to a reasonable position and to the table.
lol, this is just a minor setback.

the owners have money. 20% of NFL players are living check to check.

the worst part is that the owners refuse to open their books up to the players.

how grimey is all of this?