Verdict Coming in Margartio Hand-Wrapping Probe

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Money Gripp

Verdict Coming in Margartio Hand-Wrapping Probe

Post by Money Gripp »

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

CSAC ponders hand wrap evidence
ESPN.com news services

The California State Athletic Commission is investigating hand wraps originally on the fists of Antonio Margarito prior to his loss Saturday night to Shane Mosley.

The two pieces of gauze allegedly had a "plaster-like substance" on them. The CSAC expects results "promptly," according to a report in the Los Angeles Times.

The commission forced Margarito to rewrap his hands after Mosley's trainer, Nazim Richardson, reviewed the original wraps and found them to be too thick. Extra pads and the harder substance were found. The hands were rewrapped, and Margarito suffered a ninth-round TKO.

Richardson said the wraps were doctored in a "deliberate" manner, according to the New York Post.

Richard Schaefer, Mosley's promoter, told the Times that "it's more than additional gauze, that's not a good thing to say. There was a white pad with a substance that was a grayish, concrete color on it. The thing is, you wonder now how many times he did it before."

Todd duBoef, president of Margarito promoter Top Rank, said he believed the commission only took "additional gauze."

"He's tainted everything he has done," Hall of Fame trainer and HBO broadcaster Emanuel Steward told the New York Post. "Now you've got a situation where every fighter that he has fought is wondering, 'Did he do that to me?' I hate this happened because it makes it where there are questions about everybody he has fought."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing ... id=3866679

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

<object width="440" height="361"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf ... 4"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><embed src="http://espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=3867234" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="440" height="361" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

Req

Post by Req »

damn, so where does this put Cotto now in terms of contender-ship?
F.U. MOOLAH

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Cheating and corruption in boxing?

:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Mansfield Status

Post by Mansfield Status »

yeah the head promoter in boxing killed 2 people, how could there ever be corruption.. NO BUT SERIOUSLY FOLKS...

This is the same shit BHop did to Tito when he had Tito rewrap his hands and Hopkins dropped em. The "plasterlike" shit in the wraps gets harder as his hands start to sweat and get wet making his punches hit harder in later rounds a clearly unfair advantage. I don't know where that places Cotto though...

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

Mansfield Status wrote:The "plasterlike" shit in the wraps gets harder as his hands start to sweat and get wet making his punches hit harder in later rounds a clearly unfair advantage. I don't know where that places Cotto though...
that's ingenious

Orale Holmes

Post by Orale Holmes »

I donג€™t think this makes Cotto any better rated. He definitely beat Margarito until he himself got KOג€™d but thereג€™s no evidence of any kind to make an argument against his win over Cotto. Based purely on speculation this make Paul Williams Better than Mosely, since he beat Margaritto with the alleged plaster.

Victor Ortiz, Mike Alvarado, Manny Pacquio, Marvin Cordova Jr. >>>> than all of em.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

didn't cotley only have two losses both to margs?

they did a test with plaster on a punching bag and showed that it would break after the first punch, not causing too much damage...I heard it was a piece of plastic wrapped up, thats much more likely to do damage.

Paul Williams should be the #1 contender but he's been moving to MW

hopefully pretty boy comes back and beats some good comp before really retiring.
UBM CD COMING SOON