NFL Offseason Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

haha it didnt take long for you to lump favre in the 'reject' category

jesus, this season is going to be tits
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

did anyone catch that T Suggs contract??

:err:

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

keL wrote:haha it didnt take long for you to lump favre in the 'reject' category
he essentially was a reject. the packers chose Aaron Rodgers over favre.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
keL wrote:haha it didnt take long for you to lump favre in the 'reject' category
and went from winning 13 games to winning 6.

nfc championship game to 3rd place

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

keL wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:
and went from winning 13 games to winning 6.
:naswtf:

was that aaron rodger's fault?

the reason the packers were worse off last year wasn't QB play but the defense. they were in the bottom 3rd of the league in yards allowed and points allowed but were Top 8 in the NFL in scoring and yards accumulated.

your head.........use it.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Gregg Popabitch wrote: was that aaron rodger's fault?
Apparently it was a coincidence. It was almost the exact same team, minus favre the reject.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

keL wrote:
Apparently it was a coincidence. It was almost the exact same team, minus favre the reject.
Yea, nevermind the injuries.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

blastmaster wrote:Image

every team has injuries, geez[/img]

an-also

Post by an-also »

keL wrote:
Riiight it wasnt because the packers coudnt stop the run or anything. It was cause we lost Lord Favre.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

an-also wrote:
keL wrote:
Riiight it wasnt because the packers coudnt stop the run or anything. It was cause we lost Lord Favre.
like i said....a coincidence

stopping the run was the reason for 6 wins? sounds like all that needs to be done is switch to a 3-4. move kampman from DE to 3-4 joey porter guy, and hire kevin greene to coach the mullets? Insert don da don don Capers

lets roll

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Post by bringinoutbangerz »

drug

Post by drug »

Vick Partially Reinstated
NEW YORK -- Michael Vick was reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday and could play in regular-season games as early as October.

Vick can immediately participate in preseason practices, workouts and meetings and can play in the final two preseason games -- if he can find a team that will sign him. A number of teams have already said they would not.

"Needless to say, your margin for error is extremely limited," Goodell said in a letter to Vick. "I urge you to take full advantage of the resources available to support you and to dedicate yourself to rebuilding your life and your career. If you do this, the NFL will support you."

Goodell suspended Vick indefinitely in August 2007 after the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback admitted bankrolling the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting operation. Goodell said then that Vick must show remorse and signs that he has changed before he would consider reinstating him.

"I accept that you are sincere when you say that you want to, and will, turn your life around, and that you intend to be a positive role model for others," Goodell added. "I am prepared to offer you that opportunity. Whether you succeed is entirely in your hands."

Once the season begins, Vick may participate in all team activities except games, and Goodell said he would consider Vick for full reinstatement by Week 6 (Oct. 18-19).

Goodell called a news conference for late Monday afternoon.

"I would like to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to commissioner Goodell for allowing me to be readmitted to the National Football League," Vick said through agent Joel Segal. "I fully understand that playing football in the NFL is a privilege, not a right, and I am truly thankful for the opportunity I have been given.

"As you can imagine, the last two years have given me time to re-evaluate my life, mature as an individual and fully understand the terrible mistakes I have made in the past and what type of life I must lead moving forward.

"Again, I want to thank the commissioner for the chance to return to the game I love and the opportunity to become an example of positive change."

The announcement came after a busy first week of freedom for Vick, who met with union leaders and Goodell on consecutive days last week. His 23-month federal sentence ended when an electronic monitor was removed from his ankle early on July 20 at his home in Hampton, Va.

He met with DeMaurice Smith, executive director of the NFL Players Association, last Tuesday and, on Wednesday, he sat down with Goodell at a security firm in Allendale, N.J.

But his issues are far from over. Already, the owners of the New York Giants and New York Jets said they have no interest in the 29-year-old quarterback, who once was the league's highest-paid player.

Vick needs to find a team so he can get himself out of financial ruin. He filed for bankruptcy protection last July, listing assets of about $16 million and debts of more than $20 million, and has a hearing about his plan to repay his creditors on Friday in Norfolk, Va. That plan is built around his ability to make NFL-type money again.

He's unlikely to command anything close to the 10-year, $130 million contract he once had with the Falcons, or to get endorsement deals after the grisly details of his involvement in the dogfighting ring.

Vick finally pleaded guilty after his three co-defendants had already done so. They told of how Vick participated in the killing of dogs that didn't perform well in test fights by shooting, hanging, drowning or slamming them to the ground.

Vick's appearances at federal court in Richmond, Va., all came with large groups of protestors outside. Many were with PETA and held signs depicting photographs of Pit Bulls ravaged in dogfights and decrying the brutality in the gruesome details that emerged in the case.

A smaller group came to show support for Vick wearing jerseys with his No. 7.

Vick has already taken some steps to begin rebuilding his image and showing remorse.

He met with the president of the Humane Society of the United States while serving the first 18 months of his federal sentence in the prison at Leavenworth, Kan. He plans to work with HSUS in a program designed to steer inner city youth away from dogfighting. He was not permitted to work with the program while in custody.

"It's been a long process," Segal said. "He's thrilled for the opportunity to resume his playing career. He understands he has a lot to prove."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4359354

an-also

Post by an-also »

Vick could be highly useful to the pats. Bellicheck could scheme some formation plays for vick for sure

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

I want the fins to give him a shot so we can use him in the wildcat.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

A__TRAIN

Post by A__TRAIN »

bringinoutbangerz wrote:Image
please tell me thats photoshop and his hair doesnt actually look like that

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Steelers sign Heath Miller to a 6 year extension worth 35 million. I am so happy they are keeping him.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

LOL @ JACKSON.

GOOD LUCK WITH SAGE.

HOLLA IF YOU WANT LOSMAN'S NUMBER BRAD.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Reports are that T-Jack blew out his Brett Favre collateral damage ligament. One Drake step closer to the perpetual purgatory comeback.

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

fuck yeah training camp

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

did you guys think jackson was seriously hurt, or are yall just being gay?

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Bad news, Phila:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
Eagles say Bradley injured, but Reid not talking

BETHLEHEM, Pa. (AP)ג€”Upset by press reports that starting middle linebacker Stewart Bradley(notes) could miss the season with a knee injury, Eagles coach Andy Reid said Monday heג€™s not talking about it.

The Eagles confirmed Sunday night that Bradley suffered a knee injury in practice. On Monday, reports surfaced that the third-year pro has a torn ACL is likely lost for the season.

After practice, Reid criticized the media instead of discussing the injury. He said some reporters violated his ג€œpactג€ with them, which Reid said dictates that reporters ask only him about team injuries, not players or other team personnel.

ג€œWe wonג€™t talk about injuries today,ג€ Reid said. ג€œSome of your colleagues here decided that they would go to the players and/or other personnel here and ask about injuries. I made a pact with you guys when I first got here that I would disclose to you the injuriesג€”just stay away from the players, stay away from other personnel in the organization, and I would take care of you with that. That part was breachedג€¦ג€

Asked why he decided to punish the entire press corps, Reid said, ג€œThatג€™s the way it works. Peer pressure is the best pressure there is. You can work it out with your colleagues.ג€

Reid did acknowledge Bradleyג€™s absence from practice.

ג€œHe did not practice today, and thatג€™s where Iג€™ll leave it,ג€ said Reid, who would not say when he will again discuss injuries. ג€œWhen I decide that people can abide by the rules, Iג€™ll do that.ג€

Bradley also declined to discuss the injury, deferring to his coach.

ג€œI think heג€™s pretty adamant about not addressing the issue,ג€ Bradley said.

While Reid and Bradley declined to talk about the linebackerג€™s absence, other Eagles players did.

ג€œStu was our starting linebacker, so itג€™s a blow,ג€ safety Quintin Mikell(notes) said. ג€œBut itג€™s the NFL. We got to have guys that are ready to step up, and I believe we have those guys.ג€

Said linebacker Chris Gocong(notes): ג€œObviously itג€™s really unfortunate, but thatג€™s football, and you really do have to roll with the punches and stay on your toes.ג€

Bradley, a third-round pick in 2007, had 151 tackles in his first full season as a starter last year. Heג€™s the primary signal caller on a defense that already lost veteran safety Brian Dawkins(notes) to Denver in free agency.

Bradleyג€™s backup is second-year pro Joe Mays(notes), who practiced with the first team on Monday. The Eagles also have veteran Omar Gaither(notes), who started 16 games at middle and weakside linebacker during the 2007 season.

ג€œYouג€™ve got two guys that can do a good job there with Mays and Omar,ג€ Reid said. ג€œWeג€™ll look at that as we go down the road here.ג€
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Another potential season-ending injury:
Kemoeatu has torn Achilles

SPARTANBURG, S.C. -- Maake Kemoeatu lasted fewer than 30 minutes in Carolina's first training camp practice Monday before tearing his right Achilles tendon, leaving the Panthers in disarray at the position where they entered with the least depth.

The mammoth defensive tackle's Achilles tendon snapped while he was running in a non-contact position drill. He was carted to the locker room, then taken to Charlotte, where the tear was discovered Monday night.

General manager Marty Hurney was given the news as the team was on the field for Monday's second workout. He had few details and refused to say Kemoeatu would for sure be placed on injured reserve.

However, that injury takes several months to heal, likely ending his season.

"Obviously he's disappointed. That's understandable," Hurney said. "I talked to him after it was done. Just like anybody it's a hard thing to deal with."

The 6-foot-5, 345-pound Kemoeatu was the key cog in Carolina's run defense, often drawing double teams and opening up lanes for speedy middle linebacker Jon Beason to make plays.

His absence is compounded by Carolina's lack of depth. Handicapped by the salary cap gobbling $16.7 million contract defensive end Julius Peppers is playing this season under the franchise tag, the Panthers did not sign a single unrestricted free agent from another team. Backup defensive tackle Darwin Walker also wasn't re-signed.

The Panthers threw undrafted rookie Marlon Favorite in Kemoeatu's position in the morning practice. Second-year pro Nick Hayden, who filled in for an injured Kemoeatu last season when the New York Giants rushed for 301 yards in an overtime win, was there in the second workout.

The Panthers will likely attempt to sign a veteran defensive tackle.

"We have some young guys that will have to step up," Hurney said. "We'll look at this and figure out what our next step will be in the next few days."

It was a poor beginning for the Panthers and new defensive coordinator Ron Meeks, who also watched Beason tweak a left hamstring in the morning practice. Beason, who sat out the second practice, insisted the injury wasn't serious and will return soon.

Before the severity of Kemoeatu's injury was known, Beason praised the eight-year pro for helping him become Carolina's leading tackler the past two seasons.

"It's like night and day. That New York game, it was bad. However you look at it, it's embarrassing," Beason said. "We know we're a lot better than that. To allow a team to rush for 300 yards is unacceptable. ... But it was a good experience for those young guys. Obviously they weren't as consistent as those vets, but they had some pretty good plays, too."

The Panthers signed Kemoeatu in 2006 after he played his first five seasons in Baltimore.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Some early notes straight out of packer training camp;

Kevin Greene is super high on Jeramy Thompson. Charles Woodson is fine, but Al Harris is struggling- no longer able to jam like he did which is exposing his lack of speed-Tramon Williams should unseat him. Kampman looks like a fish out of water, may have to trade him and move Thompson in his spot. Bishop has looked good. The punters have been horrible and Crosby has not been very accurate.

an-also

Post by an-also »

keL wrote:Some early notes straight out of packer training camp;

Kevin Greene is super high on Jeramy Thompson. Charles Woodson is fine, but Al Harris is struggling- no longer able to jam like he did which is exposing his lack of speed-Tramon Williams should unseat him. Kampman looks like a fish out of water, may have to trade him and move Thompson in his spot. Bishop has looked good. The punters have been horrible and Crosby has not been very accurate.
If TT fails at the Punter position 2 years in a row, im going to :jaz: . Harris is a declining commodity. Iv been saying this for a few years now. They should have explored a trade when he had value in the offseason. Apparently Woodson is still beasting out there. Jordy Nelson has been running great crisp routes. McCarthy thinks Cullen Jenkins might be the best player on the team.
Here are some random thoughts from some dude who's been to a few days of training camp at real gm forum
Went to camp tonight so I thought I'd post a few observations.

- Practice squad WR Brett Swain has awful hands. Dude dropped at least 3-4 must catches

- Brady Poppinga got his ass chewed out all night by Kevin Greene. He got owned during every 1 on 1 drill with the other LB's. Cut this guy.

- Justin Harrell looked strong and flushed Flynn out of the pocket at least a couple times which was encouraging. But of course he sat out the last 15 mins or so of practice with cramps.

- Mason Crosby missed 3 of his 4 FG attempts. All 40 and under. Pushed them all right. There was a slight breeze, but still, that unsettling. Might not be a bad idea to sign a kicker for him to "compete" with.

- Special teams asst. coach Curtis Fuller has quite the personality. He continually fired the crowd up and loved to haze the rooks.

- Jennings made an amazing catch during the live drills on a free play hail mary by Rodgers. Tramon Williams set up for it like a punt and Jennings came like a bat outta hell and twisted in mid air to steal it basically outta Tramon's hands.

- Matthews looked just OK. Clifton owned him a couple times and he seemed to have trouble with his footing. Dude is strong though. He looks "league ready."

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

omg!!!

JUSTIN HARREL!! :ironmike:

quote:

tompelissero: Combo blocking drill, Harrell keeps impressing. Just anchored against a double team from sitton and barbre. Lot of power

PACK = 13 WINS

* A.J. Hawk, the Packers' first-round pick in 2006, is being outplayed at his linebacker spot by Desmond Bishop, who was the second of two sixth-round picks from Cal in the same draft. At the very least, Capers has another linebacker toy to play with in his 3-4 scheme.

an-also

Post by an-also »

Bishop is gunning for Hawk

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

an-also wrote:Bishop is gunning for Hawk
when is raji going to sign? crabtree is acting like a fag trying to get more money.

heyward bey = troy williamson

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Source: Parker tells Niners that Crabtree will re-enter draft
Posted by Mike Florio on August 6, 2009 11:52 AM ET
The situation in San Francisco between the 49ers and receiver Michael Crabtree is quickly going from bad to worse.

Per a league source, agent Eugene Parker is telling the 49ers that Crabtree will sit out the season re-enter the draft in 2010, unless the team gives Crabtree what he wants.

Of course, what Crabtree specifically wants isn't known, since Parker (as multiple sources tell us) still hasn't made a proposal.

There's also a growing chorus of league insiders who are speaking out against the widely-believed effort by Parker to blow up the slotting process with Crabtree. Teams obviously would contend that the unwritten rules of draft-pick negotiation ritual should be honored; however, some of the agents who arguably would benefit from the introduction of chaos privately have described efforts to blow the curve as "inappropriate" and "unacceptable" and "wrong."

And if Crabtree opts to re-enter the draft next year, the current thinking is that he wouldn't be the first receiver drafted. For now, the guy who is regarded as likely to be the first wideout (and possibly the first overall pick) is Illinois junior Arrelious Benn.

Then again, if Crabtree is picked any higher than No. 10 after having a chance to engage in pre-draft workouts, he'd likely end up with more money than the slotting process currently would pay.

After, of course, waiting a year to get it

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

an-also wrote:Bishop is gunning for Hawk
I hope so. He was an axe murderer on special teams last year.