Players Your Favorite Baseball Team Let Get Away

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

jamrage

Players Your Favorite Baseball Team Let Get Away

Post by jamrage »

Either through trade, were left unprotected in the Rule V draft, or your team let walk in free agency. Either way, they missed the most productive years of that player's career.

Here's some guys the Astros had that they got rid of before they blew up:

Bobby Abreu
Kenny Lofton
Curt Schilling
Johan Santana
Ken Caminiti
Steve Finley
Luis Gonzalez
Joe Morgan
Freddy Garcia
Rusty Staub
Mike Cuellar

Guys they acquired mid-season, but didn't re-sign:
Randy Johnson
Carlos Beltran
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

:lock:

The Astros are the kings of this shit.
The Astros' All-Time traded team

ג€¢C Brad Ausmus
December 11, 2000: From Houston with C.J. Nitkowski to Detroit for Paul Bako, Dean Crow. Brian Powell, Victor Villalobos and Mark Persails.

ג€¢1B Glen Davis
January 10, 1991: From Houston to Baltimore for Pete Harnisch, Curt Schilling and Steve Finley.

ג€¢ 1B Rusty Staub
January 22, 1969: From Houston to Montreal for Donn Clendenon and Jesus Alou. Clendenon refused to report, so the Expos sent Jack Billingham, Skip Guinn and $100,000 later to complete the trade.

ג€¢2B Joe Morgan
November 29, 1971: From Houston with Ed Armbrister, Jack Billingham, Cesar Geronimo and Denis Menke to Cincinnati for Lee May, Tommy Helms and Jimmy Stewart.

ג€¢SS Carlos Guillen
July 31, 1998: From Houston with Freddy Garcia and a player to be named later (John Halama) to Seattle for Randy Johnson

ג€¢3B Ken Caminiti
December 28, 1994: From Houston with Andujar Cedeno, Steve Finley, Roberto Petagine, Brian Williams and a player to be named later (Sean Fesh) to San Diego for Derek Bell, Doug Brocail, Ricky Gutierrez, Pedro Martinez, Phil Plantier and Craig Shipley.

ג€¢OF Kenny Lofton
Deceber 10, 1991: From Houston with Dave Rohde to Cleveland for Willie Blair and Eddie Taubensee.

ג€¢OF Steve Finley
December 28, 1994: From Houston with Andujar Cedeno, Ken Caminiti, Roberto Petagine, Brian Williams and a player to be named later (Sean Fesh) to San Diego for Derek Bell, Doug Brocail, Ricky Gutierrez, Pedro Martinez, Phil Plantier and Craig Shipley.

ג€¢OF Luis Gonzalez
June 28, 1995: From Houston with Scott Servais to Chicago Cubs for Rick Wilkins.

ג€¢OF Jimmy Wynn
December 6, 1973: From Houston to Los Angeles Dodgers for Claude Osteen and Dave Culpepper.

ג€¢P Mike Cuellar
December 4, 1968: From Houston with Elijah Johnson and Enzo Hernandez to Baltimore for Curt Blefary and John Mason.

ג€¢P Curt Schilling
April 2, 1992: From Houston to Philadelphia for Jason Grimsley.

ג€¢P Pete Harnisch
November 28, 1994: From Houston to New York Mets for players to be named later. The Mets sent Todd Beckerman (Dec. 6, 1994) and Juan Castillo (April 12, 1995) to complete the trade.

ג€¢P Freddy Garcia
July 31, 1998: From Houston with Carlos Guillen and player to be named later (John Halama) to Seattle for Randy Johnson.

ג€¢P Jerry Reuss
October 31, 1973: From Houston to Pittsburgh for Milt May.

ג€¢P Jack Billingham
November 29, 1971: From Houston with Ed Armbrister, Cesar Geronimo, Denis Menke and Joe Morgan to Cincinnati for Lee May, Tommy Helms and Jimmy Stewart.

ג€¢P Dave Roberts
December 6, 1975: From Houston with Jim Crawford and Milt May to Detroit for Leon Roberts, Terry Humphrey, Gene Pentz and Mark Lemongello.

ג€¢P Mike Hampton
December 23, 1999: From Houston with Derek Bell to New York Mets for Roger Cedeno, Octavio Dotel and Kyle Kessel.

ג€¢CL Billy Wagner
November 3, 2003: From Houston to Philadelphia for Brandon Duckworth, Taylor Buchholz and Ezekiel Astacio.
http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogastros/ar ... st_24.html

Dude obviously left Johan Santana and Bobby Abreu out of it because the Astros lost 'em in the Rule V draft.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

yr gangsta conscience
Baseball America

Post by yr gangsta conscience »

Josh Hamilton

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

two current devil rays that seriously would've made a world of difference and could've been the difference in playoffs and no-playoffs last year

carlos pena
dioner navarro
Nets 2022

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

Lenny Dykstra
Darryl Strawberry
Jason Bay
Nolan Ryan

This should be in reverse for the Mets. Players who sucked dick when they got to NY:

Roberto Alomar
Mo Vaughn
Jeremy Burnitz
Bret Saberhagen
Frank Viola
Bobby Bonilla
Carlos Baerga
Vince Coleman

Mansfield Status

Post by Mansfield Status »

I'd say the Expos lost the most talent.. the Astros are close Gary Carter, Pedro, Randy Johnson, John Wetteland, Vlad, Grissom, Larry Walker, Andre Dawson, Jeff Reardon, Rock Raines, Orlando Cabrera, Otis Nixon, and the pride of Phoenixville Pennsylvania Andre Thornton

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Im a marlins fan :owens:
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

eris

Post by eris »

Padres:

Roberto Alomar
Sandy Alomar Jr.
Dave Winfield
Joe Carter
Ozzie Smith
John Kruk
Jason Bay
Oliver Perez
Gary Sheffield (not homegrown but had him early in his career)
Tony Fernandez
Maybe even Benito Santiago
Just about everybody in the Matt Bush draft year.

That's all I have off the top of my head.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

I don't know if this counts but the Yankees went really hard at Maddux in the early 90s before he signed with Atlanta.

As for player's traded I guess Eric Milton, D'angelo Jiminez and Wily Mo Pena

:lol:

I can't think of great players they've traded away in their prime or before they reached the big leagues right now.

Although:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvg9jo5ZxnE

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Joe Pesci wrote:I don't know if this counts but the Yankees went really hard at Maddux in the early 90s before he signed with Atlanta.

I can't think of great players they've traded away in their prime or before they reached the big leagues right now.

Although:

damn do people not read threads b4 posting?

carlos pena and dioner navarro

others too but i prefer to name those b/c they are really the best big league position players we let go of players playing now
Nets 2022

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Reason wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:I don't know if this counts but the Yankees went really hard at Maddux in the early 90s before he signed with Atlanta.

Although:

damn do people not read threads b4 posting?

carlos pena and dioner navarro

others too but i prefer to name those b/c they are really the best big league position players we let go of players playing now
Pena was given up on by like 5 or 6 teams.

Detroit
Boston
New York
Oakland
Texas

off the top of my head

And I guess you can say Soriano even though they got a better player in return.

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

^Soriano was already a very good player w/the Yanks that everyone knew about though. so good already that they had to give him up for A-rod. otherwise Marlins fans could make the same statement with Josh Beckett (sort of similar circumstances, even if Hanley was still a prospect when that deal went down).
this thread is more about those who hadn't blown up yet.
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

Lebong Jame$

Post by Lebong Jame$ »

we should do this shit for basketball. the list of talent phoenix gave away simply to save money can make a mother fucker cry

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Mansfield Status wrote:I'd say the Expos lost the most talent.. the Astros are close Gary Carter, Pedro, Randy Johnson, John Wetteland, Vlad, Grissom, Larry Walker, Andre Dawson, Jeff Reardon, Rock Raines, Orlando Cabrera, Otis Nixon, and the pride of Phoenixville Pennsylvania Andre Thornton
Damn, that's a good list. That's about 6-7 Hofers. God, the Expos could have dominated the NL if they'd kept half of their talent. It's a shame they were so fucking cheap, because their talent scouting has been some of the best in baseball the last 20 years.

Prophecy, come on man make a list of Marlins. In these trying times we all need a good laugh.

I think the Expos are the clubhouse leader right now.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Dawson, Raines, and Carter all enjoyed the best years of their respective careers while playing for the Expos, so I don't know if they'd qualify. As for the early-to-mid 90s guys, most of 'em had really dope years for the Expos, so once again, I don't know if they'd qualify.

The Astros were a completely different story, IMO. Lofton, Schilling, Santana, Abreu, etc had yet to do jack shit on the major league level.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Roy Johnson wrote:Dawson, Raines, and Carter all enjoyed the best years of their respective careers while playing for the Expos, so I don't know if they'd qualify. As for the early-to-mid 90s guys, most of 'em had really dope years for the Expos, so once again, I don't know if they'd qualify.

The Astros were a completely different story, IMO. Lofton, Schilling, Santana, Abreu, etc had yet to do jack shit on the major league level.
yeah, you're right. I got too caught up in the names rather than looking at their stats when they were with les Expos.

I will say that Dawson had his best year as a Cub the year he won his MVP, but he had some really good years in Montreal no doubt.

Mansfield Status

Post by Mansfield Status »

the Marlins shouldn't count just cause that firesale shit they did it TWICE they didn't really "lose" people as much as they pushed em out the door haha

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

jamrage wrote:I will say that Dawson had his best year as a Cub the year he won his MVP, but he had some really good years in Montreal no doubt.
True, that's the year that really sticks out in his profile.

I want to say that he was at the top of his game as a member of the Expos, though. Dude was a demon on the basepaths, and an absolute phenom on defense. He wasn't as good of an overall player by the time he joined the Cubs, but by then, he was no spring chicken at the age of 32.

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

Reason wrote:carlos pena
dioner navarro
:lol: @ carlos pena being a big deal. try being an A's fan.
Moolah wrote:
Smithee wrote:I'd like to personally thank Andrew Bogut.
:cheers:

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

gary gaetti
frank viola
Hey, by the way who's Curt?