the greatest day any athlete has ever had

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

GLUS

the greatest day any athlete has ever had

Post by GLUS »

stat wise, not situational

Shawn Green's 19 total bases...6-6 with 4 home runs a double and a single

Rick Wise's no hitter...with two home runs

Mario Lemieux's "5 goals 5 different ways" ... i think he had two assists also...not that it matters

Fernando Tatis' 2 grand slams in the same inning

Wilt's 100 points...cool and all but i mean he averaged about 50 that year...essentially, he doubled his average one day

what else?

rainmaker

Post by rainmaker »

I'll take the Kobe 81 over the Wilt 100.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Doc Ellis's no-hitter on LSD >>>
No-hitting the San Diego Padres on June 12, 1970 despite being, as he would claim in 1984, under the influence of LSD throughout the course of the game.[1] Ellis had been visiting friends in Los Angeles under the impression he had the day off and was still high when his girlfriend told him he had to pitch a game against the Padres that night. Ellis boarded a shuttle flight to the ballpark and threw a no-hitter despite not being able to feel the ball or clearly see the batter or catcher. Ellis claims catcher Jerry May wore reflective tape on his fingers which helped Ellis to see his target. Ellis walked eight, struck out six, and was aided by excellent fielding plays by second baseman Bill Mazeroski and center fielder Matty Alou.[2] During the game, Ellis is reported to have commented to his teammates on the bench between innings that he was pitching a no-hitter, despite the superstition that discourages mentioning a no-hitter while it is in progress. Because the no-hitter was the first game of a double header, Ellis was forced to keep track of the pitch count for the night game.[3]

As Ellis recounted it:

"I can only remember bits and pieces of the game. I was psyched. I had a feeling of euphoria. I was zeroed in on the (catcher's) glove, but I didn't hit the glove too much. I remember hitting a couple of batters and the bases were loaded two or three times. The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me."

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Re: the greatest day any athlete has ever had

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

GLUS wrote:Wilt's 100 points...cool and all but i mean he averaged about 50 that year...essentially, he doubled his average one day
uhhhhh, so that makes it that less impressive?

so when jordan scored 63, it wasn't impressive because he scored 30 ppg during the year?

this type of logic never made sense to me. impressive feats are always impressive no matter the context.

Wilt also had 25 rebounds and 2 assists in the game.

GLUS

Post by GLUS »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
GLUS wrote:Wilt's 100 points...cool and all but i mean he averaged about 50 that year...essentially, he doubled his average one day

so when jordan scored 63, it wasn't impressive because he scored 30 ppg during the year?

this type of logic never made sense to me. impressive feats are always impressive no matter the context.

uhhhhh,
i named 5 things off the top of my head...it made the cut. it is still and will forever be amazing.
but...I context does matter. 100? what a retarded number.
what the fuck was going on that day?

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

GLUS wrote:Mario Lemieux's "5 goals 5 different ways" ... i think he had two assists also...not that it matters
I remember watching this game when I was a young lad. It was right around Christmas time. They played the Devils. I doubt if this will ever happen again.

Here are my picks:

Willie "Flipper"Anderson - 336 receiving yards in a game

Adrian Peterson - 296 rushing yards in a game

Theoren Fleury - 3 Shorthanded goals in a game

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:

his team also lost that game. and it was a long time ago when average looking white guys had careers. i was in the staples center that sunday when Kobe "scored 81" but i still don't believe it happened.

BeHemoth
Bam Bam

Post by BeHemoth »

Dirk Nowitzki averaging 22.7 ppg in the nba despite a lack of testicles

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Smithee wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:

his team also lost that game. and it was a long time ago when average looking white guys had careers. i was in the staples center that sunday when Kobe "scored 81" but i still don't believe it happened.
uhhhhhhh, the warriors beat the knicks that night.

hustler

Post by hustler »

rainmaker wrote:I'll take the Kobe 81 over the Wilt 100.
il take Wilts 100 and 25 rebounds over kobe's 81. fuck kobe, that chump is gay and anyone who is a fan of him is a faggot.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:

yeah the reason its not as impressive as advertised is how the game was played during that era, it was absurd pace with awful shot selection(shooters), I mean 25reb is like 11-15 in the modern game, and 100pts is maybe 70-75

they played 125-122 games on average, with bad shooting, its so much different from the last 20yrs, the game in question was 169-147 in regulation

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

if you've played a game in your life, you'd know that 100 points at any pace is a fucking amazing thing.

eternalreflection, if i could, i'd ban you from basketball discussion.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

its still very impressive, just its not this invincible can never be topped game

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

it is, shut up you ignorant fuck.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Gregg Popabitch wrote:it is, shut up you ignorant fuck.
I think its the best game still and quite unlikely to be topped, but Kobe's 81 is def very close to it, and closer than the raw #s suggest

36/63 28/32
28/46(7/13 3pt) 18/20

its in the ball park

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:if you've played a game in your life, you'd know that 100 points at any pace is a fucking amazing thing.

eternalreflection, if i could, i'd ban you from basketball discussion.
If you did that then i would get to ban him from football.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Don Larsen's prefect game in the world series stands out to me.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

an-also

Post by an-also »

If its any consolation. Kobe scored 81 on the raptors. Kobe scored 81 because Sam Mitchell made it known to the players not to double team Kobe no matter what. His strategy was to let kobe get his points and not let the other guys score.
:retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard:

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

an-also wrote:If its any consolation. Kobe scored 81 on the raptors. Kobe scored 81 because Sam Mitchell made it known to the players not to double team Kobe no matter what. His strategy was to let kobe get his points and not let the other guys score.
:retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard:
In the game, the Knicks continually fouled the Warriors players before they got a chance to pass it in in order to prevent Wilt from scoring. In order to contest this, the Warriors fouled the knicks as soon as they inbounded so they could get the ball back as soon as possible. When the Knicks stopped, so did the Warriors.

hustler

Post by hustler »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
an-also wrote:If its any consolation. Kobe scored 81 on the raptors. Kobe scored 81 because Sam Mitchell made it known to the players not to double team Kobe no matter what. His strategy was to let kobe get his points and not let the other guys score.
In the game, the Knicks continually fouled the Warriors players before they got a chance to pass it in in order to prevent Wilt from scoring. In order to contest this, the Warriors fouled the knicks as soon as they inbounded so they could get the ball back as soon as possible. When the Knicks stopped, so did the Warriors.
i watched the game where kobe got 81, and i gota say...it wasnt that impressive. full disclosure im a kobe hater. but an also is right, they didnt double team him at all, or trap him, or try to get the ball out of his hands. kobe would just dribble down the court and launch (basically wide open) threes (the guy defending him could barely get a hand in kobes face because he was playing him for the drive). in other words it was an easy 81, almost a gift. i didnt see the wilt chamberlain 100 point game, but from what I know, he had to earn every bucket and work hard for that shit, regardless if the defenders were white or less athletic than they are these days. the team was keyed in on wilt all trying to stop him from getting to 100.

Nowell's Soul

Post by Nowell's Soul »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:

How does the context not matter? Wilt wasn't really playing against other athletes. It would be like Shaq putting up 100 against a high school squad...

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Nowell's Soul wrote: Wilt wasn't really playing against other athletes. It would be like Shaq putting up 100 against a high school squad...

:larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry:

chicago comes through again

Lebong Jame$

Post by Lebong Jame$ »

tom brady losing the superbowl after going 18-0, going home , fucking jizzelle and forgetting about it

hustler

Post by hustler »

Lebong Jame$ wrote:tom brady losing the superbowl after going 18-0, going home , fucking jizzelle and forgetting about it
im pretty sure he would consider any of the three other days where he WON the superbowl as being greater than that day. regardless, tom brady is a world class faggot of epic proportions, heres to hoping he blows out his knee again and it ends his career.

hustler

Post by hustler »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
Nowell's Soul wrote: Wilt wasn't really playing against other athletes. It would be like Shaq putting up 100 against a high school squad...

a regional ignore option could come in handy. :ignore: all chicago posters for example.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Everyday LeBron wakes up and realizes "Hey...I'm LeBron James!"

Nowell's Soul

Post by Nowell's Soul »

hustler wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:

a regional ignore option could come in handy. :ignore: all chicago posters for example.
Wilt obviously had an impressive career. I'm just saying, we're talking numbers, and context does matter because they are so inflated compared to what would happen in today's game.

When he dropped 100, Wilt shot 36 of 62, and 28 of 32 from the line. His team put up 115 shots that game. The other team's biggest player was 6'6", 205. Wilt was 7'1", 275. Final score, 169-147. He was playing against an undersized team that didn't know what defense was...

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Nowell's Soul wrote:
hustler wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:

Wilt obviously had an impressive career. I'm just saying, we're talking numbers, and context does matter because they are so inflated compared to what would happen in today's game.

When he dropped 100, Wilt shot 36 of 62, and 28 of 32 from the line. His team put up 115 shots that game. The other team's biggest player was 6'6", 205. Wilt was 7'1", 275. Final score, 169-147. He was playing against an undersized team that didn't know what defense was...
I think it's kind of impossible to compare vastly different era's. Will Jordan one day be considered overrated because he wouldn't have been that good in the NBA 100 years from now? Surely being good relative to the players in your era is all one can do.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Mark Hard Hittin' Whitten

On September 7th, 1993, Cards outfielder Mark Whitten goes 4-for-5, with four home runs and 12 RBIs. The home run performance puts him in company with 11 other players, including Lou Gehrig, Willie Mays, and Mike Schmidt. The RBI tally has been equaled by only one other player in baseball history. Jim Bottomley, also a Cardinal, did it in 1924.