MLB Deadline Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

MLB Deadline Thread

Post by Philaflava »

Peavy got traded again to Chicago White Sox.
3:29pm: MLB.com's Corey Brock via Twitter: Aaron Poreda's in the deal, not sure what else. Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse has righty Adam Russell in the trade as well.

3:22pm: Not sure what to make of this, but SI's Jon Heyman tweeted that Padres pitcher Jake Peavy was dealt to the White Sox again. Heyman is not sure if Peavy OK'd it. He says the Padres get minor
leaguers. Peavy is currently recovering from a torn ankle tendon.

Halladay stays put.

Reds Acquire Scott Rolen For Edwin Encarnacion

Marlins Acquire Nick Johnson

Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche For Casey Kotchman

Yankees Acquire Jerry Hairston Jr. for Austin Jackson?

citizen

Post by citizen »

LOL at trading encarnacion, everyone in cincinnati is rejoicing right now

i have no idea what this team needs to get it together, at least they didnt trade arroyo

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

According to MLB.com's Corey Brock, the Padres have dealt injured ace Jake Peavy to the White Sox for left-handers Aaron Poreda and Clayton Richard, and right-handers Adam Russell and Dexter Carter.

Leave it to White Sox GM Kenny Williams to sit quietly during the weeks leading up to the trade deadline, only to make a major splash in the final seconds. Poreda was in the original deal that Peavy vetoed back in May, but Richard was not. So it seems the San Diego ace only sweetened the Padres' haul by rejecting the initial proposal. Peavy signed off on the deal this time.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

red sox got Victor Martinez for Justin Masterson and minor league pitchers Nick Hagadone and Bryan Price

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Smooth Kenny Dub FTW.

Didn't give up that much. The injury does worry me, but I see this as
more of a long term move than something for this year.

Peavy
Buehrle
Danks
Floyd

for the next few years is pretty solid.

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

Not a big V Mart fan but the Sox had to get a bat. I prefer Kotchman to LaRoche so I'm glad they swung that deal.

I think the Indians made out pretty well in that trade btw. Masterson can move right into the 3-4 spot in their rotation and should be a solid 3rd starter for a while. He may be even more valuable out of the pen. Hagadone is a power lefty who touches 97-98. He has already had some arm trouble but seems to be healthy now. Should be able to progress thru the minors quickly. Not sure about the other guy.

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

Very glad the Sox didn't move Bucholz, Bard, Bowden, Anderson, or Westmoreland.

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

he's having a good year, but not too worried about the Yank's acquisition of Washburn. Hairston is a valuable bench guy.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Brougham33 wrote:Smooth Kenny Dub FTW.

Peavy
Buehrle
Danks
Floyd

I wouldn't count on much from Peavy this year, in fact I'd be cautious using him much but next year that squad is fucking dope.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Philaflava wrote:
Brougham33 wrote:Smooth Kenny Dub FTW.

Peavy
Buehrle
Danks
Floyd

I wouldn't count on much from Peavy this year, in fact I'd be cautious using him much but next year that squad is fucking dope.
Yea. Anything he gives us this year is gravy. Thick for next year. Way to trade Richard while his stock is high. Kenny is a wizard.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

citizen wrote:LOL at trading encarnacion, everyone in cincinnati is rejoicing right now
They shouldn't be. I'd rather have Encarnacion, its only a matter of time before Rolen injures his vagina again and misses 6 months.

This is really surprising me how many top players are getting traded without the recieving team giving up their top prospects. San Diego clearly just wanted to dump Peavy's contract due to the owner's financial problems, that return is horrible. Kudos to Kenny Williams though, dude is always making solid moves and I'm impressed he kept trying to get Peavy even though Jake blocked it the first time. And I said in another thread, I can't believe that the Red Sox got VMart without giving up Bucholz. I'm a Masterson fan, but they should've gotten a minimum of two A prospects here.

LOL @ the Nationals only unloading one player. That entire team should have been dumped besides Lannan and the two Zimmerman's, and maybe Dukes.

What a great year to be a buyer for teams that have payroll flexibility.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Agreed. I think the fact that the division is so weak played a role in this too. Him being a flyball pitcher in HR park and the escalating salary does worry me, but I can't hate on this deal. He might only pitch in late august and by then the sox might be out of contention...but either way, rotation for next year looks great.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Julius Seizure wrote:he's having a good year, but not too worried about the Yank's acquisition of Washburn.
Um, Washburn is now a Tiger, dude

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
Julius Seizure wrote:he's having a good year, but not too worried about the Yank's acquisition of Washburn.
Um, Washburn is now a Tiger, dude
hmmm not sure what the fuck i was thinking there.

citizen

Post by citizen »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
citizen wrote:LOL at trading encarnacion, everyone in cincinnati is rejoicing right now
They shouldn't be. I'd rather have Encarnacion, its only a matter of time before Rolen injures his vagina again and misses 6 months.

This is really surprising me how many top players are getting traded without the recieving team giving up their top prospects. San Diego clearly just wanted to dump Peavy's contract due to the owner's financial problems, that return is horrible. Kudos to Kenny Williams though, dude is always making solid moves and I'm impressed he kept trying to get Peavy even though Jake blocked it the first time. And I said in another thread, I can't believe that the Red Sox got VMart without giving up Bucholz. I'm a Masterson fan, but they should've gotten a minimum of two A prospects here.

LOL @ the Nationals only unloading one player. That entire team should have been dumped besides Lannan and the two Zimmerman's, and maybe Dukes.

dusty baker loves rusty veterans

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
Unless you're the Yankees in which case teams will ask for Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes as a minimum starting point for a deal if Cashman calls inquiring about their backup catcher.

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

Joe Pesci wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:
Unless you're the Yankees in which case teams will ask for Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes as a minimum starting point for a deal if Cashman calls inquiring about their backup catcher.
:owens:

yr gangsta conscience
Baseball America

Post by yr gangsta conscience »

... the sox got jerked, what the fuck are you guys talking about?

internetfront

Post by internetfront »

^^ Agreed. Not happy with this. Moving from NL to AL and from a pitcher's park to a hitter's park...and being injured....

Yr gangsta and i were talking about this earlier, why not just sign someone in the offseason if you're getting Peavy. You keep all of your prospects, and are probably in the same spot for this season's end anyways. Deal was terrible.

yr gangsta conscience
Baseball America

Richard has an enormous ceiling in San Diego.

A tall lefty with a decent FB and nice groundball ratio

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

internetfront wrote:Deal was terrible.
We just got one of the absolute best starting pitchers in the business (through 2013) for a bunch of decent pitching prospects. Poreda was the most highly-regarded of the bunch, but he's looking like closer material. Dexter Carter has been dominating A ball this year, so he could turn out to be a keeper, but there's no guarantee. Prospects are suspects, yo.

Clayton Richard is gay. Look at his fucking career WHIP ratio, for Christ's sake. Nobody thinks that he is anything more than a guy that can eat some innings for you. LOL at enormous ceiling and Clayton Richard in the same sentence. If I didn't know any better, I would think that yrgangsta was a severely retarded individual.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

1. Jake Peavy
2. Mark Buehrle
3. John Danks
4. Gavin Floyd

That's our 1-4 for the next few years.

LOL at anybody thinking this wasn't an awesome deal for the Sox. Get your head out of your ass.

pestilence

Post by pestilence »

Wow. My Yanks completely failed.

yr gangsta conscience
Baseball America

Roy Johnson wrote: We just got one of the absolute best starting pitchers in the business (through 2013) for a bunch of decent pitching prospects. Poreda was the most highly-regarded of the bunch, but he's looking like closer material. Dexter Carter has been dominating A ball this year, so he could turn out to be a keeper, but there's no guarantee. Prospects are suspects, yo.

Clayton Richard is gay. Look at his fucking career WHIP ratio, for Christ's sake. Nobody thinks that he is anything more than a guy that can eat some innings for you. LOL at enormous ceiling and Clayton Richard in the same sentence. If I didn't know any better, I would think that yrgangsta was a severely retarded individual.
really? trading 3 good prospects for an injured starter who may not even help this year was a good deal?

how the fuck is it a good deal to have to trade for the right to pay peavy 17 million a year?

sign a god damn free agent pitcher.

you're ready to write clayton richard off because of what he's done in the majors so far?
and his career whip? in the minors, it is 1.27
he hasn't even thrown a seasons worth of innings in the majors
if you're buying that sample size, you're an idiot.

they should have just traded for garrett jones, huh?

yeah, san diego definitely lost in this deal,
they dumped a bunch of salary - acquired 2 tall lefties who get a good number of groundballs and mix pitches well, one of which has great command, the other who can touch 100 mph and a potential plus slider.

go sox.

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

yr gangsta conscience wrote:
Roy Johnson wrote: We just got one of the absolute best starting pitchers in the business (through 2013) for a bunch of decent pitching prospects. Poreda was the most highly-regarded of the bunch, but he's looking like closer material. Dexter Carter has been dominating A ball this year, so he could turn out to be a keeper, but there's no guarantee. Prospects are suspects, yo.

really? trading 3 good prospects for an injured starter who may not even help this year was a good deal?

how the fuck is it a good deal to have to trade for the right to pay peavy 17 million a year?

sign a god damn free agent pitcher.

you're ready to write clayton richard off because of what he's done in the majors so far?
and his career whip? in the minors, it is 1.27

they should have just traded for garrett jones, huh?

yeah, san diego definitely lost in this deal,
they dumped a bunch of salary - acquired 2 tall lefties who get a good number of groundballs and mix pitches well, one of which has great command, the other who can touch 100 mph and a potential plus slider.

go sox.
But at the end of the day (and the next however many years),

Sox playoff chances>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Padres playoff chances.

No matter what. Not being cocky, but honestly you are talking about the california team without a nationally well-known logo, a large payroll, or fans that exist outside of its city limits. The white Sox play in the 3rd largest market in America. This won't be as tough to take as you think. Thanks anyway.

GO SOX.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I have always felt when Peavy is 100% healthy he is easilly a top 5 SP in the majors. When he is in the zone like '07 he is a top 3-4. As high as those ceilings may be nothing is guaranteed and Peavy has already proven himself.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

yr gangsta conscience wrote: and his career whip? in the minors, it is 1.27
Of course I'm familiar with his minor league numbers. LOL at 1.27 being noteworthy in the motherfucking minor leagues. What does that translate to in the majors?

17 million for a top 5 SP in the majors ain't the end of the world.

Bottom line, you overrate what the Sox gave up in this trade. You're the only person in North America who thinks that Clayton Richard is a major league asset.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

tigers win the central by 7 games

washburn is the truth

the whities gave up nothing for peavy, brilliant.
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

tigers win the central by 7 games

washburn is the truth

the whities gave up nothing for peavy, brilliant.
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

yr gangsta conscience
Baseball America

Roy Johnson wrote: Of course I'm familiar with his minor league numbers. LOL at 1.27 being noteworthy in the motherfucking minor leagues. What does that translate to in the majors?

17 million for a top 5 SP in the majors ain't the end of the world.

Bottom line, you overrate what the Sox gave up in this trade. You're the only person in North America who thinks that Clayton Richard is a major league asset.
Barry Axelrod - Peavy's agent wrote:"I am flabbergasted that the White Sox would want to make this deal with him in this physical condition."
no, it isn't the end of the world, but they TRADED 4 arms so they could pay him that much. why the fuck would they not just sign a free agent?

why give up 2 of your best prospects, and an emerging prospect with breakout potential like carter?

maybe i'm just not a big enough baseball fan to notice that Poreda has such a live arm that he could be a dominant closer if he never puts it together as a starter. The way Edwin Jackson never seemed to figure himself out .. right? LA was really smart to dump him.

maybe i'm not aware that while in the minors early on, Richard was throwing in the mid-high 80s, that he added velocity slowly and was hitting 91 last year, and that in his last few starts he's been touching 96 regularly while working on more of a downhill plane.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/media/v ... 5&c_id=cws

but yeah, who would want that guy on their team?