Chris Carpenter vs. Tim Lincecum

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Chris Carpenter vs. Tim Lincecum

Post by Reason »

It's way closer than you think (if you think Tim has this on lock).

Amazing comeback year for Carpenter...
Nets 2022

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

:rofl:

I gotta go with Tim. Carpenter is one finger nail away from a lengthy DL.

No doubt on that Comeback Player award, he's killing it. But Chris missed time and he's about 30-40 innings less than Lincecum. That could be the difference in why their numbers are similar. As it is now Lincecum's ERA is 2.19. His WHIP is 1.02.

Without a doubt he's the best pitcher in baseball today. Also he is on a shit team with horrible batters. He should have 17 wins even though that doesn't mean much to you but still...

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Agree that Carpenter is a lock for comeback player of the year.

I think its going to come down to the wire for the Cy Young this year. Lincecum has the gaudy strikeout total but Carpenter is probably going to have the sexier win total at the end of the year. They both have put up insane era/whip numbers. This could come down to whose team makes the playoffs honestly.

Dan Haren is still in this conversation too though, if he can avoid having his typical weak second half. He's looking like he's tailing off though.

Also, just wanted to say that I called a major bounce-back-to-ace-status year for Carpenter before the season started and overdrafted him in 3 out of 4 leagues. Its paying off very nicely.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

yea i had NO idea carpenter would bounce back this dramatically or quickly

i was basing this thread off Adjusted ERA+ as chris was up on tim in that category a week or two ago but tim took back the lead in that since
Nets 2022

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

CARPENTER WAS DEALIN LAST NIGHT AND I SAW HIM MAKE HEADS LOOK SILLY WITH THAT CURVEBALL. IT'S A GREAT STRIKE OUT PITCH. 8K'S IN 8 STRONG INNINGS. U DON'T GET NO MORE THAN 2 RUNS WHEN HE'S ON THE HILL AND I WAS TELLIN MY HOMIES THAT AFTER THE 2ND RUN HE ALLOWED, THAT WAS IT. IT WAS PROPHETIC.

SO WHAT IF CARPENTER WAS INJURED FOR A LIL BIT THIS SEASON? WHEN HE WAS ON THE MOUND, HE ALONG WITH ADAM WAINWRIGHT HAVE GIVEN ST. LOUIS A LEGITIMATE 1-2 PUNCH THAT CAN BEAT ANY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.

WHEN A TEAM WINS AND WINS LIKE THE CARDINALS, AWARDS START FALLIN DOWN. PUJOLS WILL NOTCH BACK-TO-BACK MVP AWARDS AND CARPENTER WILL GET HIS 2ND CY YOUNG AWARD WHEN IT'S ALL SAID AND DONE.

Mike BLAOWery

Post by Mike BLAOWery »

I think everyone with a solid knowledge base called Carpenter coming through with the illness this year.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Carpenter is as good as anyone

Lincecum gets the nod for Cy Young for his innings and Ks, imo.
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

This as a good thread as any for admit about how wrong I was about Adam Wainwright. I just wasn't sold on him as being good enough to carry the Cardinals to the playoffs. I was totally wrong. He's been almost as good as Carpenter this year which is saying a lot. I'm on the bandwagon now, but I still hate the Cardinals.

How crazy is it that the top 4 Cy Young contenders are from two teams? Ridiculous.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Wainwright is damn near as good as both of 'em, Carpenter's >30 walks is amazing as this point of the year, but Tim is top 5 in damn near every important stat for pitchers this year.

It's Timmy again

PEACE

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

Without a doubt he's the best pitcher in baseball today. Also he is on a shit team with horrible batters. He should have 17 wins even though that doesn't mean much to you but still...
Grienke is pitching as well as Tim with an even worse support cast

Mauer, Hanley are prob the MVPs at this point(Hanley, Utley and Pujols are all very close) and also stuck on bad teams(Hanley has no shot of winning Mauer a modest one)

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

^ HANLEY RAMIREZ WILL NOT WIN THE MVP AWARD IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE. HE'S ON A TEAM THAT HAS NO SHOT AT THE PLAYOFFS, UNLESS PHILLY PULLS A NEW YORK METS TYPE OF COLAPSE. PLAYERS THAT PLAY ON MODERATE TO DECENT TEAMS USUALLY DON'T WIN MVPS. HANLEY'S HAVIN A SENSATIONAL YEAR, BUT NOT THAT SENSATIONAL.

MVP IN THE N.L. IS GONNA BE PUJOLS ONCE AGAIN, FOR THE 3RD TIME IN HIS CAREER.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

jamrage wrote:This as a good thread as any for admit about how wrong I was about Adam Wainwright. I just wasn't sold on him as being good enough to carry the Cardinals to the playoffs. I was totally wrong. He's been almost as good as Carpenter this year which is saying a lot. I'm on the bandwagon now, and the Cardinals are my new favorite team. I denounce the 'Stros. Trill talk.
FIXED

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Big Breeze wrote:
jamrage wrote:This as a good thread as any for admit about how wrong I was about Adam Wainwright. I just wasn't sold on him as being good enough to carry the Cardinals to the playoffs. I was totally wrong. He's been almost as good as Carpenter this year which is saying a lot. I'm on the bandwagon now, and the Cardinals are my new favorite team. I denounce the 'Stros. Trill talk.
FIXED
:jaz:
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I will watch Giants games to watch Lincecum pitch. I think he is the best pitcher in baseball. If he had any kind of run support he would have a monster record.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Random Sample wrote:I will watch Giants games to watch Lincecum pitch. I think he is the best pitcher in baseball. If he had any kind of run support he would have a monster record.
mark my words:

Ubaldo will outpitch Lincecum tonight.
Nets 2022

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

angels own the giants

i lvoed the sweep earlier this year, esp. cus fag giant fans were like "well win one we got lincecum starting" and guess what lincy blew your lead fagboys

carpenter owns
UBM CD COMING SOON

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:angels own the giants

i lvoed the sweep earlier this year, esp. cus fag giant fans were like "well win one we got lincecum starting" and guess what lincy blew your lead fagboys

carpenter owns
I didn't even know the Angels had black fans. Interesting.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Big Breeze wrote:
Tweak Da Leak wrote:angels own the giants

carpenter owns
I didn't even know the Angels had black fans. Interesting.
did you ever listen to teh nigga game

"cherry red chucks and my anaheim fitted"

did you ever peep niggas wearin the flamed up CA hats? aren't you a mutant negro that watches WWE?!?
UBM CD COMING SOON

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

You will neva eva catch me talkin about WWE.

Niggaz in Cali betta yet all ova, will wear any hat to match an outfit. Just cause they sport the hat doesn't mean that they are a fan of the team. I got a Washington Nationals and a Colorado Rockies hat among my many fitteds and I could give a fuck about neither.

Niggaz also wear certain hats to anounce their gang affiliations. There are too many cats in my hometown who wear Steelers and Raiders hats, but only do so because it represents Rolling 20's or Insane Crip. Some have adopted them as their team. Others may root for the Cowboys or the Vikings or some shit.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Big Breeze wrote:You will neva eva catch me talkin about WWE.

Niggaz in Cali betta yet all ova, will wear any hat to match an outfit. Just cause they sport the hat doesn't mean that they are a fan of the team. I got a Washington Nationals and a Colorado Rockies hat among my many fitteds and I could give a fuck about neither.

Niggaz also wear certain hats to anounce their gang affiliations. There are too many cats in my hometown who wear Steelers and Raiders hats, but only do so because it represents Rolling 20's or Insane Crip. Some have adopted them as their team. Others may root for the Cowboys or the Vikings or some shit.
yeah niggas werar any hat i got a couple phillies and pirate hats but really thats liek sayin you kant be a lakers fan cus only mexicans funk wit the lakers and you know i don't funk wit the mexicans
UBM CD COMING SOON

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:
Big Breeze wrote:You will neva eva catch me talkin about WWE.

yeah niggas werar any hat i got a couple phillies and pirate hats but really thats liek sayin you kant be a lakers fan cus only mexicans funk wit the lakers and you know i don't funk wit the mexicans
:rofl:

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Lincecum

Best pitcher in the game

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

fdsamnda the fuckin a's ckgonna shoot an oakalnd nigga tonite
UBM CD COMING SOON

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:fdsamnda the fuckin a's ckgonna shoot an oakalnd nigga tonite
WAT
Nets 2022

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Reason wrote:
Random Sample wrote:I will watch Giants games to watch Lincecum pitch. I think he is the best pitcher in baseball. If he had any kind of run support he would have a monster record.
mark my words:

Ubaldo will outpitch Lincecum tonight.
that really worked out well for jimenez tonight. Lincecum threw the shutout.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Timmy couldn't pitch tonight because of back spasms.

Carpenter threw a 1 hit complete game shutout with 2 BB the otha night on 99 pitches.

Carpenter is the Cy Young this winner this year. Grin it and bare it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/notebook?page=bbtn

Mike BLAOWery

Post by Mike BLAOWery »

I like Carpenter a lot. He probably will be the the NL Cy Young.

But Lincecum, Greinke and Halladay are better SPs imo.

Mainly cause Carpenter is in the NL. Lincecum pitches in the NL too but I like his stuff better and he goes a bit deeper into games.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Mike BLAOWery wrote:I like Carpenter a lot. He probably will be the the NL Cy Young.

But Lincecum, Greinke and Halladay are better SPs imo.

Mainly cause Carpenter is in the NL. Lincecum pitches in the NL too but I like his stuff better and he goes a bit deeper into games.
If Lincecum pitched for the Cards he'd have 5 more wins easily. I think Carpenter is worthy of it, but the voters look at K's and W's and Carp doesn't really have the K numbers they gush over.

Still, the WHIP and his dominances are impressive as fuck. Comeback Player of The Year for sure. Maybe CY if the voters do it.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Lincecum is definitely the better pitcher when you consider his youth but Carpenter has been the better pitcher this year. They are very different pitchers though, Lincecum is a strikeout guy and Carpenter is a strike-thrower. Carpenter arguably has the best control in baseball, that whip is sexy as hell.

I think Timmy's recent injury issue, coupled with Chris's last gem and his inevitable higher win total has swung this race in Carpenter's favor and I think he's the frontrunner at this point. As long as Wainwright doesn't split too many votes between the Cardinals candidates.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

It's a shame nobody is realizing just how fucking dominate Javier Vasquez has been since joining the Braves. He should be in the discussions as well. He won't win, but he deserves to be mentioned.
Last edited by Philaflava on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.