Official Off-Season MLB Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Official Off-Season MLB Thread

Post by Philaflava »

Discuss all rumors, trades or releases here.

Twins traded Carlos Gomez for JJ Hardy today.

citizen

Post by citizen »

can i talk about the Reds in here without being threatened?

an-also

Post by an-also »

To the experts:
When will the jays be relevant again so i can actually watch a couple of baseball games here and there

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

The White Sox got Mark Teahen :meh:
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Philaflava wrote: Twins traded Carlos Gomez for JJ Hardy today.
I like it. With Cuddyer, Spann, Delmon...we had to dump a OF. I really liked gomez but it was clear he wasnt going to make it at this level. Its hard to ignore the fact that the joan santana trade was a complete disaster.

Hardy? meh... we needed a guy from the right with some power, good with the glove. he is too streaky though.
an-also wrote: When will the jays be relevant again so i can actually watch a couple of baseball games here and there
jays were really entertaining to start last year.
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Carl Crawford in a Yankees uniform is something I would enjoy very much.

Unfortunately, I see the Rays picking up his option and trading him, and no way they'd trade him within the AL East.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Joe Pesci wrote:Carl Crawford in a Yankees uniform is something I would enjoy very much.

Unfortunately, I see the Rays picking up his option and trading him, and no way they'd trade him within the AL East.
You son of a bitch. :lol:

If the Yankees get Crawford, I will stop watching baseball. Enough is enough.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Roy Johnson wrote:The White Sox got Mark Teahen :meh:
whats the deal with dye?
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

keL wrote:
Philaflava wrote: Twins traded Carlos Gomez for JJ Hardy today.
I like it. With Cuddyer, Spann, Delmon...we had to dump a OF. I really liked gomez but it was clear he wasnt going to make it at this level. Its hard to ignore the fact that the joan santana trade was a complete disaster.

Hardy? meh... we needed a guy from the right with some power, good with the glove. he is too streaky though.
Gomez is significantly better than Young, Young was god-awful last year, he showed a little promise late but jesus he's an abortion in the field and his hitting isn't much better

the deal is fine, MN needed help in the infield and hopefully they find someone to replace Delmon, it'll be tough to stomach another year of a 5-6player lineup, especially since Mauer will likely drop off some

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I have faith in Delmon. He came on strong towards the end. If he has a shit spring then I say kill him. But he is at least owed 150-200 AB's first before you do it.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Joe Pesci wrote:Carl Crawford in a Yankees uniform is something I would enjoy very much.

I think you're getting Holliday for sure.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

keL wrote:
Roy Johnson wrote:The White Sox got Mark Teahen :meh:
whats the deal with dye?
He's old, and gay.

Jermaine done died.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Roy Johnson wrote:

You son of a bitch. :lol:

If the Yankees get Crawford, I will stop watching baseball. Enough is enough.
We did just win the world series, but...

Greed is good

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Mad that Matt Holiday opted for free agency. Unless the Cardinals are willing to meet his price, he could be elsewhere next season. I thought he liked his time in St. Louis otha than perhaps that dropped fly ball in the playoffs. I undastand he's got a family to consider, but as a fan he's essential to the success of my team.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Holliday to the Mets

calling it now

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Joe Pesci wrote:Holliday to the Mets

calling it now
2 reasons why it won't happen

1. He is white.
2. They can just put Beltran in CF again.
3. They need a SP more than anything else.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

So are David Wright and Daniel Murphy tokens?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Big Breeze wrote:So are David Wright and Daniel Murphy tokens?
Grandfathered in.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Big Breeze wrote:Mad that Matt Holiday opted for free agency.
What did you expect him to do, retire?

I like the Twins side of the Hardy trade a little better, just because even though he is one of the best defensive outfielders in baseball, Gomez has yet to put up a OBP above .300 which is insanely bad. Hardy is better than he showed last year. Good buy-low by the Twins.

The Teahan trade looks good for both sides too. White Sox get a great super-sub type and the Royals get two cheap young players. Neither Getz or Fields will ever be stars but one of them might turn out to be useful.

Phillies picked up Lee's option which was a no-brainer. I'm really hoping that they don't pick up Feliz's. Not when Beltre can provide the same gold glove defense but with a much better bat.

And its a damn shame Hermida isn't going to a team where he is going to get regular playing time.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I'm hearing Phillies like Figgins more than Beltre.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Philaflava wrote:I'm hearing Phillies like Figgins more than Beltre.
Noooooooooooooooooo

Source?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
Philaflava wrote:I'm hearing Phillies like Figgins more than Beltre.
Noooooooooooooooooo

Source?
My cousin who covers Phillies games and writes for ESPN. This moves allows J-Roll to swing for the fence as the #7 hitter. He is not a true lead-off hitter. I rather Beltre though.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

Philaflava wrote:I have faith in Delmon. He came on strong towards the end. If he has a shit spring then I say kill him. But he is at least owed 150-200 AB's first before you do it.
his post-allstar line of .300/.322/.502 is a little promising, and maybe he'll work on the defense a ton

I can see giving him some more time, but he's going to have to put up numbers equal or better than his 2nd half to be worth keeping

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

an-also wrote:To the experts:
When will the jays be relevant again so i can actually watch a couple of baseball games here and there
Probably the beginning of next season again till they fall off terribly and finish near the bottom.

At least Riccardi was finally fired, but I'm scared with Cito getting to finish out his contract and manage next season.

Our one off-season move so far... claiming Jarrett Hoffpauir, a second baseman, off waivers from the Cards. HUUUUUUUGE. :lol:

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

I think the Mets will do all they can to sign Holiday, although I'd prefer them to go after Lackey.

As for SP, I wouldn't be surprised if they went after Randy Wolf, Jason Marquis, and maybe one of the 3 risks (Bedard, Sheets, or Harden).

I read that Adrian Gonzalez could be dealt as well. I would unload for a player like him.

I expect a 3rd place team on paper come April 2010

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Rubes makes it official: Smell ya later, Brett Myers. Take your underachieving ass elsewhere.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The Roy Halladay talks begin again and the same shit will happen in Philly, NADA.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Sylissez wrote:Rubes makes it official: Smell ya later, Brett Myers. Take your underachieving ass elsewhere.
Thats actually pretty stupid of Amaro. Myers is saying he offered to sign a one-year incentive laden deal. If thats true then why not? Thats serious low-risk/high-reward shit.

Myers is funny as shit, I'll miss the dude.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Philaflava wrote:The Roy Halladay talks begin again and the same shit will happen in Philly, NADA.
Is anyone seriously expecting this? Last year, we were in a unique position to land Halladay in that we 1)Had the players to trade, 2)Had the payroll to take on Halladay and 3)Were still competing whereas other times that might have met the first two criteria were already out of the race.

Right now, everyone's back to zero. At least theoretically. So there's a lot more suitors, and the Phillies aren't the only ones in the race. Not to mention taking on his $15mm. And while we're finally spending like the major market team we are, we're still not NYY or the Red Sox.

That said, I'd simultaneously piss, shit and jerkoff if we went into the season with a top of the rotation of Lee, Halladay and Hamels.

I'm far more interested in seeing if the Phillies will go after Beltre. Let Figgins be overpaid by someone else.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
Sylissez wrote:Rubes makes it official: Smell ya later, Brett Myers. Take your underachieving ass elsewhere.
Thats actually pretty stupid of Amaro. Myers is saying he offered to sign a one-year incentive laden deal. If thats true then why not? Thats serious low-risk/high-reward shit.

Myers is funny as shit, I'll miss the dude.
Since when has ANYTHING Myers said been true? I agree though, with Myers and (almost certainly) Pedrobear gone, our press conferences just got a lot less quotable.

You probably know more about this than me, so I'll ask you. What's the significance of adding someone to the 40-man at this point? Cause on DNL they said Mathieson was added today. Obviously it probably has little-to-no impact on the Opening Day roster, just curious as to why they'd do that now and if it has anything to do with service time or any of that bullshit.