ESPN Insider Requests

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

naturalborn103

ESPN Insider Requests

Post by naturalborn103 »

Can you post these please.....

How the Knicks score CP3
8:52AM ET
Chris Paul | Hornets
Top Email

David Lee could be the key to a sign-and-trade.

Who would replace Rivers in Boston?
9:42AM ET
Doc Rivers | Celtics
Top Email

Rivers may step down as C's coach to spend time with his family.
Last edited by naturalborn103 on Tue May 04, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trub320

Post by Trub320 »

With the New York Knicks' 2010 offseason officially underway, GM Donnie Walsh mentioned to reporters several times, according to the New York Daily News, that the team could use its cap space to trade for an impact player.

Marc Berman of the New York Post has an idea of who that impact player could be. He cites the New Orleans Hornets as a potential partner in a sign-and-trade deal that could send superstar point guard Chris Paul to the Knicks in exchange for power forward David Lee, a player that Berman writes the Hornets "are in love with."

Trading Paul for Lee sounds like the worst deal since Lloyd traded Harry's van for a motor scooter straight up in Dumb and Dumber, but other factors might be at play. Berman notes that the Hornets could be worried about getting nothing for Paul if he were to leave during 2012 free agency, and Frank Isola of the Daily News mentions the Hornets' financial trouble as another potential factor. And it's also worth mentioning that the Hornets have a security blanket at point guard in rookie Darren Collison. But in all likelihood, the Knicks would have to offer more than just David Lee to secure Paul's services, and they don't have much else to offer right now.

Still, a Chris Paul-LeBron James combo is nice to think about if you're a Knicks fan.

Trub320

Post by Trub320 »

UPDATE: We might be getting ahead of ourselves here, seeing as how Rivers has called the rumors about his possible departure overblown, but we had to ask: Who will take Rivers' place if he leaves?

Evan Brunell of NESN.com takes a stab at answering that very question with a list of 10 possible Rivers replacements. Some of them are the usual suspects (Jeff Van Gundy, Avery Johnson, Larry Brown), but also included are some guys with Celtics connections like Danny Ainge, Tom Thibodeau and Kevin McHale who could all cause quite a buzz if they are tapped as the C's new head coach. Thibodeau is a particularly intriguing option, seeing as how the Knicks are reportedly interested in courting him to New York as an assistant after the season is over. If Rivers does indeed decide to pack it in after this season, the search for his replacement could be a very interesting one.
--

Even though no decision has been made, Doc Rivers might step down has the Celtics head coach after the season. According to the Boston Herald, Rivers is contemplating the move to be able to spend more time with his family.

"Part of it is true," Rivers said of the speculation. "Every year I sit down in the middle of the summer and I have a family discussion. We talk about what we want to do. That's nothing new, but every year it gets stronger and stronger. And I think people are making some common sense reads. I've got three seniors next year, two in college and one in high school. That's important to me. We're all family men. We all have kids. Every year you've got to weigh what's best for your kids. That's just the way it is. But, I don't get into it now. I don't talk about it. I've never told anyone one way or the other, and that's how it's always been."

"The one I will say is I'm committed to Boston," Rivers added. "It's either stay with the Celtics or I decide I need to stay more with the family."

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Who would replace Rivers in Boston?
10:32
AM ET
Doc Rivers | Celtics Top Email

UPDATE: We might be getting ahead of ourselves here, seeing as how Rivers has called the rumors about his possible departure overblown, but we had to ask: Who will take Rivers' place if he leaves?

Evan Brunell of NESN.com takes a stab at answering that very question with a list of 10 possible Rivers replacements. Some of them are the usual suspects (Jeff Van Gundy, Avery Johnson, Larry Brown), but also included are some guys with Celtics connections like Danny Ainge, Tom Thibodeau and Kevin McHale who could all cause quite a buzz if they are tapped as the C's new head coach. Thibodeau is a particularly intriguing option, seeing as how the Knicks are reportedly interested in courting him to New York as an assistant after the season is over. If Rivers does indeed decide to pack it in after this season, the search for his replacement could be a very interesting one.

--
Even though no decision has been made, Doc Rivers might step down has the Celtics head coach after the season. According to the Boston Herald, Rivers is contemplating the move to be able to spend more time with his family.

"Part of it is true," Rivers said of the speculation. "Every year I sit down in the middle of the summer and I have a family discussion. We talk about what we want to do. That's nothing new, but every year it gets stronger and stronger. And I think people are making some common sense reads. I've got three seniors next year, two in college and one in high school. That's important to me. We're all family men. We all have kids. Every year you've got to weigh what's best for your kids. That's just the way it is. But, I don't get into it now. I don't talk about it. I've never told anyone one way or the other, and that's how it's always been."

"The one I will say is I'm committed to Boston," Rivers added. "It's either stay with the Celtics or I decide I need to stay more with the family."
Nets 2022

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Thanks!!!! If Doc does leave I hope I hope we get Van Gundy, or if not that Thibodeau steps up to head coach.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

naturalborn103 wrote:Thanks!!!! If Doc does leave I hope I hope we get Van Gundy, or if not that Thibodeau steps up to head coach.
but it'd be so much more hilarious if they made sheed player-coach, AMIRITE
Nets 2022

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Can someone up the 'PG rankings: Who's No. 1 now?' by hollinger?

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

naturalborn103 wrote:Can someone up the 'PG rankings: Who's No. 1 now?' by hollinger?
PHOENIX -- Let the debate begin.

It's been quite a postseason for point guards, and Monday night might have been the best moment yet. Rajon Rondo started things off with 19 assists in three quarters to lead Boston's surprise demolition of Cleveland, and Steve Nash followed up with a 33-point, 10-assist masterpiece as Phoenix knocked off San Antonio while Nash's Spurs counterpart Tony Parker (26 points off the bench) was no slouch, either.

Tuesday, it continues, as two more All-Stars -- Orlando's Jameer Nelson and Utah's Deron Williams -- get their turn with the conch. Both players were magnificent in the first round of the playoffs, with Nelson blowing up for 23.8 points per game in Orlando's four-game sweep of Charlotte and Williams averaging 24 ppg in Utah's six-game vanquishing of Denver.

All of which makes the debate over the game's top point guard more heated than ever. Chris Paul of New Orleans, the standard-bearer at the position the past three seasons, once again led point guards in player efficiency rating (PER) at 23.74 -- but he played only 45 games and was markedly less effective once he returned from knee and ankle injuries. At the very least, his health has thrown the question wide open again; at worst, he might not be capable of regaining the throne.

Fortunately, we aren't lacking for candidates to take over. In addition to the players above, up-and-comers such as Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook, Chicago's Derrick Rose, Milwaukee's Brandon Jennings, Golden State's Stephen Curry, and (if you consider him a point guard) Sacramento's Tyreke Evans figure to muscle their way into the argument in coming seasons.

Nonetheless, one can't help noticing that most of the main contenders are still playing. Five of the eight point guards to post a PER better than 19 in either of the past two seasons are still active in the playoffs -- Nash, Williams, Rondo, Parker and Nelson. (The other three, for the curious, are Paul, Denver's Chauncey Billups and New Jersey's Devin Harris.)

[+] Enlarge
Mark J. Rebilas/US Presswire
Slowed by injuries this season, TP is starting to heat up for the Spurs.
Let's start with Nelson and Parker because they were much better in 2008-09, when each could have put up a much stronger argument for the title of the league's best. Nonetheless, each might be hitting his stride at the right time.

Parker operated as San Antonio's sixth man in the first round after a thumb injury and bout with plantar fasciitis limited his usual burst in the regular season, but he once again confounded Phoenix's defense with his quickness off the dribble. So effective was Parker that he played 36 minutes, started the second half and might start at the point for the rest of the series. Still, it's a far cry from his performance of a year ago, when he was the Spurs' go-to offensive performer and averaged a career-high 22 ppg on 50.6 percent shooting, which is why he's fifth on the list of point guards still active in the playoffs.

Up next is Nelson, who has a similar problem to Parker -- great numbers last season but, thanks to injuries, middling results this season. He steadily improved in the second half of the season, shooting 50 percent from the field and 51.4 percent on 3-pointers in April. He has kept up that progress in the playoffs, where he ranks second behind LeBron James in postseason PER after riddling Charlotte for 95 points on just 62 shots -- while committing only five turnovers in four games. Nonetheless, Nelson can't compare with the top three on this list, not after a regular season in which he barely surpassed the league average in PER.

This is where the competition really heats up. Let's start with Rondo, the best defender of the bunch and one who's not so shabby offensively despite his poor outside shot. Although Rondo's 19-assist shredding of Cleveland on Monday was obviously a bit of an outlier, he's no stranger to impressive triple-crown stats: Rondo averaged 13.7 points, 9.8 assists and 4.3 boards in the regular season while arguably surpassing each of Boston's Big Three with his broad-based contributions.

He's been even better in the postseason -- for a third straight year. Remember, it was Rondo's dominant Game 6 that fueled Boston's title-clinching rout of the Lakers in the 2008 Finals. Last year, he nearly averaged a triple-double in 14 postseason games, finishing with a line of 16.9 points, 9.8 assists and 9.7 rebounds per game in 14 games and adding 2.5 steals a game.

This year, he has redoubled his efforts. In addition to last night's effort, Rondo scored 27 points and added 12 assists in Boston's Game 1 defeat in Cleveland, and he is averaging 16.3 points and 11.7 dimes in the playoffs. Factor in his impressive defense and you could make a case for Rondo as the league's top point guard.

[+] Enlarge
Dave Miller/US Presswire
Rondo has stepped up his play for the C's in the playoffs yet again.
That case breaks down, though, when you compare his shooting ability with that of his two Western Conference counterparts -- that's why Nash and Williams averaged more than 20 points per 40 minutes this year while Rondo netted only 15.

Williams put together another rock-solid regular season with averages of 18.7 points and 10.5 assists and has the Jazz in the second round of the playoffs for the third time in four seasons. Following that up, he's been so good in the postseason that a consensus is building that he has supplanted Paul as the game's top point guard.

Williams certainly has a case versus Paul, simply because he's been on the court so much more this season and appears to have a brighter future, given his combination of health and size. Additionally, he's first in the "point guards not named Chris Paul" category in PER over the past three seasons.

But that takes us to the biggest oddity of the entire point guard debate: Williams versus Nash.

Williams barely outranks Nash in the PER category in the past three seasons, even though Nash spent two-thirds of a season mired in a half-court system that was destroying his stats.

In fact, if you compare Nash today with the Nash of five years ago, the similarities are remarkable: His points, assists, shooting percentages and turnovers are almost exactly the same. So is his PER, and, more importantly, so are the results -- the Suns again were the league's top team in offensive efficiency, this time by an even wider margin than usual, and they're once again 50-something-game winners pushing to make a deep playoff run.

Half a decade ago, that sort of performance earned Nash not one but two MVP awards. Somehow, the consensus has shifted to the point that Monday night on TNT, Charles Barkley left Nash off his list of the league's top three point guards.

This is crazy -- Nash has barely changed. We've moved on, looking for whatever was "next," but Nash has just kept on chugging out ridiculously efficient offensive seasons, and he's still doing it at age 36.

So if Paul supplanted Nash as the league's top point guard when CP3 put together his MVP runner-up season in 2007-08, and we're now looking to fill the title again as a result of Paul's injury-plagued season, shouldn't our top contender be the guy who previously held the title belt?

And if so, isn't there a strong argument to pull the lever for Nash? He led the "point guards not named Chris Paul" category in PER this season, and he would have done so last season if you included only the part of the season when Alvin Gentry coached the team.

Alas, I can't quite go there. I'd take Williams, and I'd take him for two reasons.

First, he's a much better defensive player. Nash takes an unreasonable amount of criticism for his defense, but he is vulnerable to dribble penetration by quick guards. Williams is a bit more stout on this front and is big enough to check wing players in switches.

Second, and more importantly, Williams is more durable. Remember, quantity can be just as important as quality. Although he has suffered some injuries, he has played in all but 24 games in his first five seasons, and his minutes don't need to be managed the way Nash's do. This is critical when it comes to the postseason, especially -- for instance, in the 2010 playoffs, Williams averages nearly seven minutes a game more than Nash. That difference is so large that Nash would have to outplay Williams by quite a bit on a per-minute basis to be the more valuable player overall.

I don't think Nash has done that. So although it's really close, I'll take Williams by a whisker.

So right now, my list of the top point guards in the league looks like this:

1. Williams
2. Nash
3. (Keeping it warm for Paul)
4. Rondo
5. Billups

Honorable mention: Rose, Westbrook, Parker, Nelson.

That might not be your list, and that's part of the fun. Nash, Williams and Rondo have renewed the debate over the league's top point guard, a matter that had been settled as long as Paul was healthy. And we might find ourselves changing our minds several times in the next two weeks as we watch those three light up the second round. We might even get the occasional urge to move Parker and Nelson higher up the list, as well.

This is a rarity, actually. Usually by now, the playoffs have been reduced to dominating big men and electric wing players -- rarely do we see elite teams feature a point guard as their primary weapon. This time, we have three teams with point guards as the primary weapon, plus another two teams with point guards playing major roles.

Regardless of your preference among these elite point guards, be sure to enjoy the show. It might be a while before you get an encore.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Chris Paul of New Orleans, the standard-bearer at the position the past three seasons, once again led point guards in player efficiency rating (PER) at 23.74 -- but he played only 45 games and was markedly less effective once he returned from knee and ankle injuries.
look, eternalbot, even your jesus agrees he was markedly less effective once he returned
Nets 2022

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Thanks for upping that. I thought I would hate the list and Nash would be 1. I would have put Westbrook over billups though.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

naturalborn103 wrote:Thanks for upping that. I thought I would hate the list and Nash would be 1. I would have put Westbrook over billups though.
me too...this is the year billups' age finally caught up to him
Nets 2022

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

got it nevermind.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

I would take Rose over Rondo, Billups, and Westbrook.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

Reason wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:
Chris Paul of New Orleans, the standard-bearer at the position the past three seasons, once again led point guards in player efficiency rating (PER) at 23.74 -- but he played only 45 games and was markedly less effective once he returned from knee and ankle injuries.
look, eternalbot, even your jesus agrees he was markedly less effective once he returned
again its like someone having a bad month in baseball, sometimes it takes a little while to get back in a groove

anyway it seems I am alone in saying lets wait to see before giving away his crown, meh

also Reason so much for Deron playing better than Paul ever did, lasted 5 whole games lol

last 3

15-41fg 17.6/1.6/9

shocker, who would have thought he couldn't maintain 28ppg, he might keep it over 20 lol

Gregg Popabitch

eternalreflection wrote:anyway it seems I am alone in saying lets wait to see before giving away his crown, meh
What?! You definitely have difficulties with reading. it's not even a question now.
also Reason so much for Deron playing better than Paul ever did, lasted 5 whole games lol

last 3

15-41fg 17.6/1.6/9

shocker, who would have thought he couldn't maintain 28ppg, he might keep it over 20 lol
he only has 6 turnovers in that span. that's good for a 4.5:1 assist to turnover ratio. uhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Gregg Popabitch

eternalreflection wrote:anyway it seems I am alone in saying lets wait to see before giving away his crown, meh
What?! You definitely have difficulties with reading. it's not even a question now.

last 3

15-41fg 17.6/1.6/9

he only has 6 turnovers in that span. that's good for a 4.5:1 assist to turnover ratio. uhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

eternalreflection wrote:
Reason wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:
again its like someone having a bad month in baseball, sometimes it takes a little while to get back in a groove

anyway it seems I am alone in saying lets wait to see before giving away his crown, meh

last 3

15-41fg 17.6/1.6/9

you're awful at this. you concede lebron's elbow injury and you argue "SAMPLE SIZE SAMPLE SIZE SAMPLE SIZE" a million times then refer to deron's THREE GAMES against a team facing elimination and two games against the fucking LAKERS ALL WHILE HIS ELBOW IS FUCKED UP??? LOL

plus what popa said = he's a pg, son. i was just as impressed by his 11+ apg that series as i was by his 28 ppg

AND ONE MORE TIME IN CAPS LOCK BECAUSE YOU REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE IT, DON'T UNDERSTAND THE VALUE OF IT: DERON WILLIAMS PLAYS DEFENSE. HE BODIES HIS MAN ON THE PERIMETER LEGALLY AND KEEPS HIS BALANCE TO DEFEND THE SHOT. PAUL SAGS OFF BECAUSE HE CAN'T BODY HIS MAN. YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND BASKETBALL, MR. PER.

IT'S NOT "LIKE HAVING A BAD MONTH IN BASEBALL" TO COMPARE THE TWO SPORTS IS FUCKING RETARDED. YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

pgs if cp3 is in an injury-less vacuum:

1. cp3
2. deron
3. rondo
4. rose/westbrook

pgs with cp3's injury problems:

1. deron
2. rondo
3. cp3
4. rose/westbrook
Nets 2022

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

it was sarcastic since you were the one using tiny samples like 5 and 7 games as gospel, and how you were saying he was playing better than Paul's best lol

you are underrating Paul's defense and overrating Deron's PG score more points per possession on Deron than Paul, size isn't everything
he has 22to in 8games, Paul had 22 in 12 in 08(6a/to over 50% more games), I mean it wasn't that he's playing bad, but that Reason was like OMG Deron is playing better than Paul ever did, which isn't true even if you only look at them at their best in the playoffs

BRAZ

Post by BRAZ »

could somebody hook up that machida story

Choke

Post by Choke »

This article appears in the May 17 issue of ESPN The Magazine.

The music is loud enough to bounce your liver. It barrels out of bus-size speakers at the Staples Center, making conversation impossible and rational thought doubtful, which may or may not be the point of the entire enterprise. Along with the music, there's bloodlust in the air. Thousands of young people, almost all under 30, are dancing at their seats and in the aisles, simultaneously flexing and spilling beer, making the October scene feel like a frat party at a third-tier college.

UFC 104, headlined by light heavyweights Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, is like most big MMA events: blurs of flopping bodies and vicious head shots accompanied by a nonstop barrage of tattoos and testosterone that pours from the seats of the arena. The crowd wants someone to get seriously jacked up. This was apparent in a preliminary bout, when heavyweight Ben Rothwell took a beating while on his back with his head propped up on the fence. It was Whac- A-Mole with one difference: Rothwell couldn't hide. Cain Velasquez pummeled Rothwell's head, one shot after another, and the crowd howled when the ref called it. Rothwell did too. Judging by all involved, the fight ended just as it was getting good.

This is America unplugged. This is the future, beyond boxing, beyond home runs, beyond dunks and tackles and far, far beyond the 18-footer for birdie. MMA is popular, profitable and inching ever forward in the sports consciousness, onto SportsCenter and into the mainstream.

MMA still runs on a few good chapters without a connecting narrative. Eventually, the athletes -- not Dana White -- will have to identify the brand.

But MMA remains more spectacle than sport. Big names and big fights change monthly -- BJ Penn before he lost to Frankie Edgar; Anderson Silva before he acted silly and mocked his opponent, the crowd and his sport at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi; UFC-wannabe Strikeforce before its recent CBS show in prime time (2.9 million viewers) degenerated into a brawl. The ephemeral nature of the sport's stars creates something of an identity crisis. In the UFC's glory division, light heavyweight (205 pounds), champ Chuck Liddell was replaced by Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, who promptly lost to Forrest Griffin, who promptly lost to Rashad Evans, who promptly lost to Machida. The sport runs on a few good chapters without a connecting narrative. Eventually, despite the overarching and overbearing presence of UFC bossman Dana White, the athletes will have to identify the brand.

And that's why we're here in LA at the Staples Center, naming our internal organs by the level of bass and the weight of the bounce. But as the main event approaches, the music stops, or lowers, or otherwise ceases being an incessant physical entity. The confusion is real -- the thump is something you feel for seconds after it's gone.

Suddenly a good-looking, clean-cut guy with polo-club hair enters to soothing Japanese music better suited to a Buddhist temple. Without the karate gi, chiseled body and cartilage clump for a right ear, you'd have no idea he was here to fight.

Martin SigalWith his Japanese-Brazilian heritage and a background in Karate, Machida is anything but the typical MMA fighter.

Which makes you wonder so many things. What is Lyoto Machida doing in a place like this? And then, could this man be the answer to all MMA questions? Could this 31-year-old with a Brazilian-Japanese heritage, a master technician with an archeologist's ability to unearth an opponent's weakness, be the bridge between the rowdy under-30 fan and that fan's still-skeptical dad? Could The Dragon be the kind of star who uplifts and transcends the sport?

MMA insiders would be insulted by this discussion. Those who follow the sport religiously and the smaller group that covers it for various subterranean outlets will say Machida's reputation doesn't need burnishing. He enters the cage as one of the sport's most respected fighters, disciplined within all disciplines, with a 15-0 record. He's never been knocked down or taken down or even lost a single round in the UFC. Machida is a patient man who frustrates opponents with his insistence on never leaving himself open. He is a master of defense, and yet he can "punch" with his legs the way a fast middleweight uses his hands. He has beaten some of the sport's giants -- Tito Ortiz, Evans, Penn -- and become the undefeated champ of the UFC's most important division. In fact, veteran stars Evans, Rich Franklin, Thiago Silva and Stephan Bonnar had never lost before facing Machida. Yet he deconstructed each of them. Machida has the looks, work ethic and record to overcome the language barrier (he speaks only Portuguese) and leap to the forefront to catch the back end of MMA's first wave of stardom.

So why hasn't he? Why does he remain a connoisseur's fighter, the UFC's resident corduroy elbow patch? Maybe because he is an anomaly in a sport that runs on aggression and bravado. Machida speaks softly. His humility borders on the farcical. His samurai ethic -- to him it's a historically based ethic, not just a trendy word -- demands he leave the Octagon after a win more modestly than he entered it. His stated goal: to bring dignity and respect to the sport in the hope of elevating it above common perceptions. He'd like to set the kind of example that makes fathers want their sons to become MMA fighters.

He is a master of defense, and yet The Dragon can "punch" with his legs the way a fast middleweight boxer uses his hands.

Strange, since his life worked in the opposite direction. Lyoto's father, Yoshizo, a karate master who taught his sons a form of the discipline now known as Machida Karate, considered MMA "criminal fighting" until Lyoto convinced him otherwise. "I changed my father's mind, and anyone who has watched me can see I am a different kind of fighter," Machida says. "That is because I want to bring peace, to be a warrior for peace. I mean 'peace' as a form of respect. I have no problems with the bad boys of the sport, but I am interested in treating people the right way, in bringing dignity to your everyday life."

It is in those words that you find the disconnect. Here is a man who performs with superhuman restraint for a crowd that displays very little. He walks into the Staples Center cage seemingly oblivious to the chaos around him. Machida strips his fighting of emotion, viewing himself and opponents as mere machines. The best circuitry wins. There is nothing passionate or demonstrative about him. As the Rua fight became unexpectedly difficult and kicks repeatedly bruised Machida's midsection, there was no sign of distress, wincing or anxiousness. He was only calm.

The composure and self-possession are not affectations. A few days before the fight, Machida sits in an office at the Black House gym in LA and apologizes for the quality of his answers. There's the language barrier, the training session he just finished, the press conference, all the standing around smiling with his fist clenched for strangers holding cameras. This is unnatural for him. "You don't have to show more than you're asked," Machida says. "The guys who are vain and want to go in there and show they are badasses ... you don't need it."

It's clear from those who have gathered for UFC 104 that a "warrior for peace" is not their first preference. Bonuses are given for "KO of the Night," not "Unanimous Decision of the Night." With two submissions, five knockouts and eight decisions on his record, Machida is a defensive, technical fighter who has struggled to please a bloodthirsty crowd. "The sport is already changing," Machida counters. "Doctors, lawyers, professional people you would never expect are interested. I am a part of that." Still, because he's content to win with points earned rather than blood shed, Machida had to wait until he was 14-0 overall and 6-0 in the UFC to receive a title shot. Flashier current champs Brock Lesnar, Anderson Silva and Georges St-Pierre had a total of four UFC wins before fighting for belts.

Martin SigalLyoto's son Taiyo brings out the samurai in Team Machida (from left): brother Take, dad Yoshizo, brother Francisco Marques, Taiyo, Lyoto.

The Rua fight is perfect research into the UFC's Machida dilemma. Despite losing the first two rounds of his UFC career, Machida outpoints Shogun with technical brilliance and defensive savvy. He spends much of the five rounds backpedaling, a strategy that grates on customers who pay big money to see big action. Shogun is the aggressor but not the winner, and the difference is difficult for the crowd to bend its mind around. This is a smart fighter succeeding his way -- think Floyd Mayweather Jr. over Oscar De La Hoya, or Bernard Hopkins over just about anybody. The decision is booed, and Machida's reputation as a tactical wizard but a stylistic disappointment lives on.

For followers of more traditional sports, the postfight press conference is remarkable. Shogun had administered punishment to Machida, and The Dragon's face is puffy, his ribs bruised. White stands at the podium, gripping its sides as if it might fly away, and calls the decision a travesty. He derides the judges' scoring and announces a rematch. He tells Rua he should have been more aggressive in the later rounds, which is like Bud Selig interrupting a World Series postgame to tell CC Sabathia how to pitch to Ryan Howard.

Machida is forced to listen to this through his manager and interpreter, Ed Soares. As Soares relays White's words, Machida drinks from a water bottle and stares straight ahead, emotionless.

Machida and Rua will fight once again May 8 at UFC 113 in Montreal, and a lot has changed since that night at the Staples Center. For one, revisionism demands that this be called "The Rematch of the Year" even though the original was widely panned as a letdown. And yet now more than ever, MMA needs Lyoto Machida to deliver a signature performance and become a durable star. There is still a belief that he's the man for the job. "He is proof you can be a gentleman and a warrior," White says. "Our guys have great stories. They're not dead-end guys trying to make it to keep from ending up dead or in jail. Most of them are college-educated with a story to tell and the ability to tell it."

The style dilemma is difficult for Machida to explain, a problem exacerbated by a translator who translates in the third person. Here is his attempt: "I do not want to try to kill my opponent, but I want him to feel as if he could be killed."

The mystery of Machida is, like him, equal parts Brazilian and Japanese. He grew up and still lives with his wife and son in the Amazon basin, near the port city of Bel
General Interests: Fine herbage! Keepin it real, Jui Ryi Ki Kung-Fu (Blue belt with shuriken certification). Banging the skins with my smokin band 'TwaughtHammer'. European motocross (plan to attend Wheelie School in Vegas this summer). MILF's, MILF's, MILF's, MILF's!

Education: J.P. Wynne High School, DeVRy University data systems management... The STREETS, YO!

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

^thanks!

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

eternalreflection wrote:it was sarcastic since you were the one using tiny samples like 5 and 7 games as gospel, and how you were saying he was playing better than Paul's best lol

you are underrating Paul's defense and overrating Deron's PG score more points per possession on Deron than Paul, size isn't everything
he has 22to in 8games, Paul had 22 in 12 in 08(6a/to over 50% more games), I mean it wasn't that he's playing bad, but that Reason was like OMG Deron is playing better than Paul ever did, which isn't true even if you only look at them at their best in the playoffs
i'm not underrating paul's defense. you're overrating his defensive statistics.

i'm not overrating deron's ppg. you're underrating how much he's doing to keep his team afloat even after injuries.

and size is almost everything in basketball. again, YOU'RE OUT OF YOUR ELEMENT, DONNY
Nets 2022

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Chad Ford's NBA mock draft and stock watch

thanks in advance :cheers:

Stunna7516

Post by Stunna7516 »

REQUESTS: Hollinger's all defensive team article, NFL 2011 early draft projection

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

VideoKilledThe wrote:Chad Ford's NBA mock draft and stock watch

thanks in advance :cheers:
Updated: May 6, 2010, 3:10 PM ET
Chad Ford's Mock Draft, Version 1.0
EmailPrintComments
retweet
By Chad Ford
ESPN.com
Archive

Andy Lyons/Getty Images
Kentucky's John Wall is a slam dunk as this year's No. 1 pick. But how will the rest of 2010 draft go?
All year, in our Top 100, I have kept tabs on the draft stock of the prospects who might be available for the 2010 NBA draft, based on what scouts and general managers in the league tell me. A consensus gradually forms, and we have a pretty firm idea of how each prospect shapes up at a given time.

In contrast, the mock draft is based more on educated guesses about what specific teams will do. Although we know what teams generally think of prospects, a lot remains unknown.

For starters, we don't know which players might withdraw from the draft by Saturday's deadline. Even when we find out exactly who has stayed in the draft, we won't know in what order the first 14 teams will select.

When we do learn the order, at the May 18 lottery, the draft will still be full of mystery. In the next few weeks, the NBA pre-draft combine in Chicago, the adidas Eurocamp and hundreds of team workouts can dramatically alter player evaluations.

All that said, the draft is beginning to come into focus. We know the lottery odds, we know the top prospects and we know team needs.

So it's time to project the complete first round for the first time. You also can see more than 2,000 lottery scenarios and our projections for the first 14 picks in our Lottery Mock Draft.

Here is the first of my many mock drafts between now and the June 24 draft:

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

New Jersey

John Wall

Position: PG
Height: 6-foot-4
Weight: 185 pounds
School: Kentucky
Analysis: This is a no-brainer for the Nets if they are lucky enough to land the No. 1 pick. Some look at starting point guard Devin Harris and wonder whether New Jersey should select Evan Turner instead.

The Nets don't.

Although they like Harris, they love Wall. The Kentucky freshman is the type of young potential superstar who could lure a big-time free agent to Jersey this summer.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Minnesota

Evan Turner

Position: SG
Height: 6-7
Weight: 205
School: Ohio State
Analysis: Turner would be a terrific fit for the Wolves, who need a versatile swingman who can play multiple positions on the floor. Turner's ability to come in and contribute from day one could help Minnesota immensely next season.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Sacramento

Derrick Favors

Position: PF
Height: 6-9
Weight: 215
College: Georgia Tech
Analysis: The Kings might be terrible at the moment, but a core of Tyreke Evans and Favors would make them very dangerous in the future. Favors didn't have a huge freshman season at Georgia Tech, but he has the potential to be the next Antonio McDyess.

Although it's clear the Kings like Carl Landry and Jason Thompson, neither has the upside of Favors.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Golden State

DeMarcus Cousins

Position: C
Height: 6-11
Weight: 260
Analysis: It figures that Cousins would land in Golden State. The Warriors are filled with young talent, but they're also the most dysfunctional team in the league. Enter Cousins, who was the most talented big man in college basketball, but also the most unstable. It's a match made in heaven.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Washington

Wesley Johnson

Position: SF
Weight: 198
School: Syracuse
Analysis: The Wizards aren't desperate for a small forward, but they are desperate for some star power after gutting the roster this winter. Johnson's versatility and upside would be too much to pass up here.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Philadelphia

Cole Aldrich

Weight: 245
School: Kansas
Analysis: Aldrich might never be a star, but he's a solid big man who rebounds, blocks shots, and scores from inside and out. With only one more season left on Samuel Dalembert's contract, Aldrich would provide some great insurance.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Detroit

Ed Davis

Height: 6-10
College: North Carolina
Analysis: The Pistons are high on Al-Farouq Aminu, but the last thing they need is another tweener after adding Austin Daye and Charlie Villanueva last summer. Davis didn't dominate as a sophomore, but he's an athletic big man who's active on the boards. The Pistons desperately need a player like that.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Los Angeles Clippers

Al-Farouq Aminu

Height: 6-8
School:Wake Forest
Analysis: Aminu is one of the best athletes in the draft. The question is, what position does he play? If he continues to refine his perimeter game, he'd be a great fit next to Blake Griffin in the Clippers' frontcourt.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Utah
(via New York)

Greg Monroe

Weight: 250
School: Georgetown
Analysis: The Jazz are in a position to lose Carlos Boozer this summer via free agency, but Monroe would be a solid consolation prize. He's not super athletic, but he's the most skilled big guy in the draft and would be a perfect fit in Jerry Sloan's half-court offense.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Indiana

Ekpe Udoh

Weight: 240
School: Baylor
Analysis: Barring a lottery miracle, the Pacers are screwed. A month ago, they were looking at possibly drafting No. 4 and adding a building block next to Danny Granger. But a late-season run dropped them all the way to 10th and ended any realistic chance that they'll get a star.

Udoh, however, would fit a need as an athletic shot-blocker who can run the floor.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

New Orleans

Daniel Orton

Weight: 260
Analysis: Orton barely made a dent in the box score for Kentucky, but NBA scouts are convinced he could be a really good NBA center. He is strong and physical, and can dominate on the defensive end.

He needs to improve his offense, but if he does, he could be a star down the road. The Hornets were very thin up front all season. Orton also would give them some insurance in the event Emeka Okafor breaks down.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Memphis

Patrick Patterson

Analysis: The Grizzlies are trying to find a way to eke back into the playoffs. After he drafted a "future" guy in Hasheem Thabeet in 2009, expect GM Chris Wallace to go with a more veteran, proven college player this year.

Patterson doesn't wow you with anything he does, but he's solid in virtually every area. Most importantly for the Grizzlies, he would be ready to come in and contribute on day one.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Toronto

Hassan Whiteside

Weight: 225
School: Marshall
Analysis: Whiteside has as much upside as anyone in the draft not named Wall or Favors. He's a super-long, lanky shot-blocker who nearly had four triple-doubles this season in points, rebounds and blocked shots.

With the Raptors in danger of losing Chris Bosh this summer, expect Toronto to swing for the fences to help fans forget Bosh if he bolts.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Houston

Donatas Motiejunas

Height: 7-0
Weight: 220
Analysis: The Rockets have a habit of drafting value, and this low in the draft, Motiejunas would be a good get. He'll probably spend another year in Italy honing his skills and getting stronger, but when he does get to the NBA, he has the makings of a player.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Milwaukee
(via Chicago)

Xavier Henry

School: Kansas
Analysis: John Salmons might end up opting out of his contract, and the Bucks would love to put another blue-chip prospect in the backcourt with Brandon Jennings.

Henry already has an NBA body and can shoot the lights out. He's a little one-dimensional, but he could step in and immediately fill a role for Milwaukee.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Minnesota
(via Charlotte)

Gordon Hayward

Weight: 200
School: Butler
Analysis: The Wolves could really use some consistent shooters who could stretch the defense. Adding Evan Turner won't help much in that regard, but Hayward could. Although he struggled with his shot this past season, he generally is considered a lights-out shooter.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Chicago
(via Milwaukee)

James Anderson

Height: 6-6
Weight: 195
School: Oklahoma State
Analysis: Anderson was one of the best scorers in college basketball and could be a very good fit in the Bulls' backcourt. His ability to stretch the defense and attack the basket should make him a nice complement to Derrick Rose.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Miami

Eric Bledsoe

Height: 6-1
Weight: 190
Analysis: Bledsoe is a tough, Pat Riley type of player and could be a long-term upgrade from the Mario Chalmers-Carlos Arroyo duo at point guard.

Physically, he's ready for the NBA right now. But he still needs more game-time experience running the point. Long term, Bledsoe could pay off.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Boston

Luke Babbitt

School: Nevada
Analysis: The Grizzlies are hoping Babbitt falls a few more spots in the draft, but I think the Celtics will beat them to the punch. Babbitt is an excellent scorer both inside and out, and he'll rebound. Most importantly, he could step in right away for the Celtics.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

San Antonio

Damion James

Weight: 224
School: Texas
Analysis: James might be one of the more underrated players in the draft. Very few players have his combination of athleticism and motor. He doesn't have a position on offense, but he's a Spurs type of player all the way.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Oklahoma City

Solomon Alabi

Height: 7-1
School: Florida State
Analysis: The Thunder continue to lack a legitimate low-post threat. They drafted B.J. Mullens to be that guy last year, but he's still a work in progress. Alabi will be, too, but at this point in the draft, he has too much size and upside to pass on.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Portland

Kenneth Faried

School: Morehead State
Analysis: If there's one stat that seems to translate from college to the pros, it's rebounding. Faried was the NCAA's leading rebounder this past season, pulling down 13 per game.

He is a bit undersized but makes up for it with toughness and explosive athleticism. He could be the draft's biggest sleeper.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Minnesota
(via Utah)

Kevin Seraphin

Weight: 258
Analysis: With their third pick of this draft, you can expect the Wolves to stash a player overseas. Seraphin hasn't really produced big numbers in France, but he has Serge Ibaka-like physical upside.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Atlanta

Quincy Pondexter

School: Washington
Analysis: Pondexter was one of the best seniors in the country. He is an elite athlete and proved this season that he can really score. He's a jump shot away from being a star. Think the next Desmond Mason.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Memphis
(via Denver)

Avery Bradley

Height: 6-3
Weight: 180
School: Texas
Analysis: Bradley is tough to peg. A few teams are looking at him in the late lottery. But if he slides a bit, don't expect him to slip much further than here. Bradley's defensive abilities alone make him a lock for the pros. If he can find a position on offense, he could be a star.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Oklahoma City
(via Phoenix)

Devin Ebanks

School: West Virginia
Analysis: Ebanks has lottery talent. Defensively, he can do it all with his long wingspan and above-average mobility for his size. But until he develops a reliable jump shot, he remains a work in progress.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

New Jersey
(via Dallas)

Terrico White

Height: 6-5
Weight: 211
School: Mississippi
Analysis: White is an elite athlete who, when he's on, is one of the best guards in the country. The problem is, White has a tendency to disappear in games. If the Nets can get him to play with some consistency, he would be a steal here.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Memphis
(via L.A. Lakers)

Paul George

Weight: 185
School: Fresno State
Analysis: George suffers from the same issues as White. Great athlete. Very versatile. Doesn't always play hard. With Rudy Gay possibly bolting via free agency, he could be a potential long-term replacement.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Orlando

Willie Warren

Height: 6-4
Weight: 210
School: Oklahoma
Analysis: Warren was considered a potential top-10 pick at the beginning of the season. However, a poor season, combined with some injuries and some bad chemistry with his coach, really hurt his stock.

But Warren is a steal here and the type of versatile guard who could make an impact for the Magic.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Washington
(via Cleveland)

Larry Sanders

School: Va. Commonwealth
Analysis: Sanders could go 10 spots higher in the draft. But if he slips this far, the Wizards would have to be interested. He's the type of long, athletic shot-blocker that's in vogue right now.

Next five in: Stanley Robinson, F, UConn; Elliot Williams, G, Memphis; Jordan Crawford, G, Xavier; Gani Lawal, F, Georgia Tech; Darington Hobson, G/F, New Mexico
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Thursday, May 6, 2010
Stock Watch: Rising prospects

On Thursday we launched our first full mock draft of the year. Mock drafts are funny things. On one hand, people love them. It's fun to speculate what each team will do with its pick. On the other hand, in May, they aren't -- and can't be -- very accurate.

NBA GMs have not made their final decisions on who they are drafting. They haven't even come close to finalizing their draft boards. Why?

For starters, we still don't know exactly who's in the draft (the deadline for underclassmen to withdraw is Saturday). We still have the Chicago pre-draft combine. And then there will be tons of individual and group workouts.

Many front offices don't make final decisions on their draft rankings until hours before the actual draft. (See the Sacramento Kings last year: With 24 hours left before draft night, they were still deciding between Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry and Ricky Rubio).

Still, the further we get into the process, the more things are getting nailed down.

Currently, NBA GMs and scouting staffs are digesting a season's worth of scouting reports and going back to Synergy video to get a few more looks at more obscure prospects. A number of teams are also employing stat geeks to crunch numbers to find some hidden gems. Whether it be WARP, PER or other statistical indicators, more and more teams are taking into account what sophisticated formulas are saying about draft prospects.

Over the course of the past week, as I put together my mock draft, I've been talking to front-office personnel about what they've learned in the film room and from the stat geeks. Here's a look at a few prospects who have gotten a boost during the process:

DeMarcus Cousins, F/C, Kentucky

No matter what sort of formula you use, the stat geeks love Cousins. He's coming out on top in every analysis (of course so did Michael Beasley two years ago). When you take a closer look at his per-minute numbers, it's not hard to see why. If his background checks and psychological testing come out OK, he's got a real shot to go No. 2.

Ed Davis, F, North Carolina

Davis came into the season with a fair amount of hype. Most scouts approached him with a much more critical eye and found a lot to criticize. But given a second look, more and more GMs are offering a kinder assessment. The stat geeks are lending their support as well. If Davis' wrist weren't still in a cast, I think we'd see him move up three to four spots in the rankings. However, until GMs are assured there aren't any serious issues, he's staying at No. 7 on our Big Board.

Damion James, F, Texas

Four-year seniors shouldn't really need more film time to boost their stock. James, by now, should be a known quantity. But I'm hearing from more and more GMs that they are warming up to the Texas forward. "You don't find a lot of guys with his athleticism and motor," one GM said. "I'm not saying he'll be a star, but he's going to play a long time in the league."

Kenneth Faried, F/C, Morehead State

Faried was the NCAA's leading rebounder this season, and if we've learned anything over the years, it's that rebounding prowess translates to the pros. Yes, he's undersized. But his athleticism, length and relentless energy make up for much of that. So does the fact that he's shown up as the No. 2 power forward in the country on several teams' statistical measurements. The more teams I talk to, the more convinced I am that he's going to be solidly in the first round.

Kevin Seraphin, F/C, France

This isn't a great draft for international players, but Seraphin is getting some interest. He didn't have a huge year in France, but his NBA body, his athleticism and an impressive performance against Team USA at the Nike Hoop Summit last year are still in the memory of many scouts. He could sneak into the first round.

Dominique Jones, G, South Florida

NBA scouts are always looking for trends. This year they're on the hunt for the next Tyreke Evans or Marcus Thornton. Some believe Jones might be that guy. His ability to score against just about everyone has scouts intrigued. He didn't crack our mock draft this time, but I expect he will in subsequent editions.

Jimmer Fredette, PG, BYU

I've assumed that Fredette would go back to school. Now I'm not so sure. He's been one of the few underclassmen to get a number of workouts this week. Why? It's a weak point guard draft. Scouts were intrigued by his play this season, and several teams' stat guys rank him as the No. 2 point guard in the draft. I've also gotten word that he has impressed people in workouts. I guess we'll find out Saturday if he was able to do enough to secure his status in Round 1.
Nets 2022

Gregg Popabitch

Reason wrote: DeMarcus Cousins, F/C, Kentucky

No matter what sort of formula you use, the stat geeks love Cousins. He's coming out on top in every analysis (of course so did Michael Beasley two years ago). When you take a closer look at his per-minute numbers, it's not hard to see why. If his background checks and psychological testing come out OK, he's got a real shot to go No. 2.
honestly, I would take Cousins #2 overall. Especially if I don't have a legit center.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

I LOVE Cousins. He might not have the upside, or the star power of Wall, but to my eyes Cousins is a sure fire 20-10 guy, which aren't exactly growing on trees. Big, long, low post moves, knows how to use his body, and more athletic than he is given credit for, the only downside is his temperament. I want to make a case for taking him #1 overall, but the potential of Wall is just through the roof. A Cousins Lopez frontline would be nasty though...

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

request for the 2011 nfl mock draft.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/ ... id=5142253
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;