Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

elohim

Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Post by elohim »

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tMophHw6iX4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tMophHw6iX4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

204 countries competed for two years to qualify for one of these 32 spots, so without further ado..

Group A:
France
Mexico
South Africa
Uruguay

Group B:
Argentina
Greece
Nigeria
South Korea

Group C:
Algeria
England
Slovenia
United States

Group D:
Australia
Germany
Ghana
Serbia

Group E:
Cameroon
Denmark
Japan
Netherlands

Group F:
Italy
New Zealand
Paraguay
Slovakia

Group G:
Brazil
Ivory Coast
North Korea
Portugal

Group H:
Chile
Honduras
Spain
Switzerland

The World Cup begins June 11th with hosts South Africa kicking off the tournament against Mexico.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

ima sticky this
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

If you are Argentina who do you start in attack? Obviously, Messi, but who else? Even if they play a 4-3-3, you can only field 5 attacking players because one of the midfield spots is going to Mascherano. Di Maria, Aguero, Milito, Higuain, Tevez, at least one of them has to be on the bench. For me it's gotta be Higuain.

The US plays a very good Czech Republic team on Tuesday, that pretty much demoralized and started the downward spiral of our last WC. I'm honestly not expecting a good result. Coach Bob said he will trim the roster to 23 after the match so that the other warm up games versus Greece and Australia will be gem games for the players who will be starting. Needless to say it will be a very telling match. Guys should be out there gunning it, balls to the wall, fighting for a spot. Anything less will be absolutely unacceptable.

While I have zero faith in Findley, or Eddie Johnson ever panning out for the Nats, I'm curious to see if Herculez Gomez or Edson Buddle will be able to carry their domestic form to the international stage, but realistically I don't know why we don't just start Dempsey up top next to Altidore.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

STOKED for this. Hoping this is the Year of the Dutch, but will probably be let down again.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

VideoKilledThe wrote:If you are Argentina who do you start in attack? Obviously, Messi, but who else? Even if they play a 4-3-3, you can only field 5 attacking players because one of the midfield spots is going to Mascherano. Di Maria, Aguero, Milito, Higuain, Tevez, at least one of them has to be on the bench. For me it's gotta be Higuain.
It seems that Maradona is going to run out a 4-4-1-1 with a midfield of Di Maria, Maschereno, Veron, Jonas Gutierrez, and Messi just behind Higuain. I think that's a mistake and would prefer to see something like the 4-3-3 you mention above.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Stoned Starks wrote:
VideoKilledThe wrote:If you are Argentina who do you start in attack? Obviously, Messi, but who else? Even if they play a 4-3-3, you can only field 5 attacking players because one of the midfield spots is going to Mascherano. Di Maria, Aguero, Milito, Higuain, Tevez, at least one of them has to be on the bench. For me it's gotta be Higuain.
Veron
For real? This guy is still playing, let alone @ this level?

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

Positive A wrote:
Stoned Starks wrote:
Veron
Yeah, he's playing for Estudiantes (the team that lost to Barcelona in the final of the World Club Cup) in Argentina. And while he hasn't completely fallen off (he was named player of the Copa Libertadoers last year) I'm not sure if Maradona isn't putting way too much stock in him. To make matters worse it sounds like Gutierrez would get the start at right wing partially because of his ability to track back and clean up Veron's mess defensively. The problem is that with all strikers and wingers Argentina has they're lacking a legitimate creator. Mascherano, while a great holding player, isn't all that decisive in his distribution, and other than Veron, who on their roster has proven to be able to play that position at this level?

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Stoned Starks wrote:
Positive A wrote:
Stoned Starks wrote:
Veron
The problem is that with all strikers and wingers Argentina has they're lacking a legitimate creator.
That's why they need to start Tevez, dude is a non-stop engine of the game, can pick a pass and score. To me Milito is a better target man, and better at holding the ball up than Higuain, while Aguero has just too much class to not have on the field. If Higuain starts over both it will be a damn shame.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

VideoKilledThe wrote:
Stoned Starks wrote:
Positive A wrote:
Stoned Starks wrote:
Veron
The problem is that with all strikers and wingers Argentina has they're lacking a legitimate creator.
That's why they need to start Tevez, dude is a non-stop engine of the game, can pick a pass and score. To me Milito is a better target man, and better at holding the ball up than Higuain, while Aguero has just too much class to not have on the field. If Higuain starts over both it will be a damn shame.
I agree completely. For all the goals Higuain scored at Madrid this year he was a big part of their problem. A total Me-first type of player.

I'd like to see them go Tevez-Milito-Aguero up front, with Messi and Di Maria behind them and Maschereno in front of the defense in a 4-1-2-3 or something like that. If Maradona goes with what I suggested he was going to do up above it feels like it would be a huge missed opportunity.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Messi and Di Maria would not work as part of a 3man midfield.

Tevez - Militio - Messi
------- Aguero
Macherano - Gago
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

Gago isn't on the Argentinian side, but that looks alright.

Comedy Quaddafi

And no Cambiasso either? In that case I'd opt for Lucho G. But that's incredibly weird still.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

elohim

Post by elohim »

Stoned Starks wrote:The problem is that with all strikers and wingers Argentina has they're lacking a legitimate creator.
True, and add in that they don't have any attacking fullback options, too. But I think their biggest problem is that Maradona still hasn't found a way to get the best out of Messi.

It seems stupid to call up 6 strikers if you only plan to play 2, but knowing Diego; I extremely doubt he'll go with the 4-3-3 type formation that's being touted here. I expect the same lineup/formation that won against Germany back in March when they play Nigeria.

------------------Romero---------------
Otamendi---Samuel---Demichelis---Heinze
------------Ver

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Since we're on South American squad selection, why doesn't Brazil start both Maicon and Dani Alves? I know they are both right side fullbacks, but would it be such a stretch for one of them to play on the left as opposed to who ever they have starting there now?

Something like:

-------------Julio Cesar-------------
Maicon---Lucio---Juan---Alves
------Felipe Melo---Josue-----------
Ramires----------------Kaka
--------Fabiano---Robinho----------

I know Juve didn't have such a great year, but no Diego is just crazy to me. Also IMHO Julio Cesar is the second best goalie in the world behind Casillas.

elohim

Post by elohim »

VideoKilledThe wrote:I know Juve didn't have such a great year, but no Diego is just crazy to me.
Really? You don't think Ronaldinho deserved a spot on that team, but Diego did? Diego was ranked the flop of the season in Italy this year by Goal.com. Personally, I think he was saved by Felipe Melo for that award, but nonetheless.. Diego didn't even have half as many goals or assists as Ronaldinho this year. He blamed his performances on the condition of the fields in Italy. :lol:

Call me a homer, but I think Ronaldinho definitely deserves a spot with Brazil as a super sub. He looked motivated and dedicated and it paid off in his (re-)discovery of form. He was directly responsible for nearly half of all Milan's scoring this season either through goals or assists. I feel like people (incl. Dunga) wrote him off a year or two ago but forgot to watch him this year. Did nobody else see him gut Real Madrid and Manchester United?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s-YLWXiAgwc&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s-YLWXiAgwc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PtU4b5Exb7E&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PtU4b5Exb7E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Also, :naswtf: @ Julio Baptista. He appeared in over 30 games this year.. Statline? 3 goals, 1 assist. I wouldn't mind him getting picked if Kak

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

^I agree with you about Ronaldinho. Shit, just look at what he did in the final league game vs. Juventus. 2 goals, and he looked pretty damn good to me. Even FIFA made a statement about his omission.

Any word why Nasri didn't make France's squad?
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

elohim wrote:
VideoKilledThe wrote:I know Juve didn't have such a great year, but no Diego is just crazy to me.
Really? You don't think Ronaldinho deserved a spot on that team, but Diego did? Diego was ranked the flop of the season in Italy this year by Goal.com. Personally, I think he was saved by Felipe Melo for that award, but nonetheless.

Did nobody else see him gut Real Madrid and Manchester United?
My problem with Dinho is he gives absolutely zero coverage for the midfielder/fullback on his side, he doesn't track back, and while that might not have been a problem at his peak when he was playing in a "free" playmaker position but that spot has been given to Kaka. To say he gutted Man U and Real is crazy overstating how well he played. His vision for the game is unparalleled, but he is still fat and is mostly tricks, flicks, and freekicks now. He picked a good pass to make the return tie in Manchester interesting, but he was lucky to have scored off a deflection. The player doing the gutting on that day was Wayne Rooney.

Now how Dinho, Pato, and Diego don't make it, but Kleberson, Gilberto Silva, and Elano do is a real head scratcher. Diego not having a great year in Italy doesn't make him any less technically skilled, just means he's out of form.

Grafite I understand because they want a striker with size and since Adriano rediscovered tequila he is the next in line. Wolfsburg were never going to have as good a season as they did last year, especially after losing manager Felix Magath who was key to their success. I like Grafite (of course, not as much as Dzeko) he adds a physicality and an aerial presence that none of the other Brazilians strikers bring.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

[quote="elohim"][quote="Stoned Starks"]
------------------Romero---------------
Otamendi---Samuel---Demichelis---Heinze
------------Ver

Dmista

Post by Dmista »

got pumped as fuck with this video yesterday

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/idLG6jh23yE&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/idLG6jh23yE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Dmista

Post by Dmista »

also saw my mexican national team lsoe in a friendly vs england. The friendly matches we're playing before the world cup starts are no fuckin joke, next up netherlands, then portugal, then italy.

I'm gonna be drunk as fuck for the opening Mexico vs. S. Africa game. VIVA MEXICO CABRONES.

Oh yeah. Brazil's gonna win this one. mark my words

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

I was up early here (Australia) to watch my national team (England) play Mexico in a friendly. We rested up a bunch of our starting players and still played a solid (if not somewhat messy in the first half) game. I'm offically excited about our prospects in this World Cup.

Australia played New Zealand locally, and all accounts suggest it was a dire performance all round. Looks like both teams will really need to lift their games considerably if they want to compete on the world stage.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

So I'm drunk. So these are my drunk odds. So fuck off ya bitch. So here they are:

1. Spain (most complete team)
2. Brazil (could be a repeat of 94, just in that Brazil plays unorthodox style (for them) but wins due to timely scoring and strong defense)
3. Argentina
4. the Dutch (like Argentina a lot of firepower but like someone mentioned above not enough D)

5. fuck off

Comedy Quaddafi

No love for Italy? I wonder if they'll put the same team on the pitch as they did 4 years ago. Totti, Zambrotta, Pirlo, Gattuso, Pippo, those guys are srsly getting older now. Chiellini and De Rossi should have done enough by now to enter the team.

The Germans are always competitive as well.

Who'll be the topscorer? Rooney looks a good bet, as does either of the Argie frontmen. Perhaps Hulk has a chance of playing up top for Brazil? Hes been solid and he adds the physicality Robinho lacks. Either way, this is looking like the weakest Brazil team in my days as a fan.

I don't think you can throw a rightback on the leftside and expect him to produce as well. They should definetly start Maicon though, I'm not a fan of Alves at all.
- MB

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Totti, and Pippo didn't make the squad, neither did Hulk.

But seriously, fuck Italy, and Mexico while we're at it.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

VideoKilledThe wrote: But seriously, fuck Italy, and Mexico while we're at it.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

I always root for Holland and Argentina simply cause they are great teams that always fall short. But I can see them coming up short again this year. England looked real impressive yesterday. Looking forward to the US/Czech match tonight.

Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Spain have the best, most balanced squad and should win. Villa will be top scorer.

Argentina will either click together and get to the final or implode early on. Probably the latter. So much talent but a lunatic manager. Leaving Cambiasoo and Zanetti behind is insane, experience counts for so much in world cups.

I worry about England. We are entirely reliant on Rooney. Once he inevitably gets injured we're fucked. We'll get to semi finals at best, probably only quarters.

My dark horses are Uruguay. They only scraped through qualifying but Suarez and Forlan are two of the most in form strikers around right now.

Can't wait though, will be a great month.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Watched the U.S. game.

Stewart Holden, Robby Rogers, Herculez Gomez, Brian Ching, and Edson Buddle played really well I thought.

The defense looked suspect as fuck. Onyewu was fucking awful. Still, Bocanegra didn't play either.

I'd love to see Buddle, Gomez, and Ching all make it along with Altidore and Dempsey up front. That's a nice group of strikers.

Not too concerned about the 4-2 result with our best players on the bench. That said, the defense does worry me, and would appear to be our biggest hole. Definitely going to need a defensive midfielder to help out whenever possible.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Can't wait.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

jamrage wrote:Stewart Holden, Robby Rogers, Herculez Gomez, Brian Ching, and Edson Buddle played really well I thought.

The defense looked suspect as fuck. Onyewu was fucking awful. Still, Bocanegra didn't play either.

I'd love to see Buddle, Gomez, and Ching all make it along with Altidore and Dempsey up front. That's a nice group of strikers.
Pretty on point. I'm a big fan of Clarence Goodson. Goochi is clearly not anywhere near 100%, he has always been very overrated in my eyes.

Brad Guzan looked pretty weak in goal, he got scored on near post twice, and generally didn't have good control of the box. Not that he'll be seeing the field in SF.

My biggest worry is the left back spot, neither Health Pierce or Bornstein can play on the international level, and will surely be exposed in the coming games. In a dream world my starting lineup would be:

------------------Howard---------------
Spector---Goodson---DeMerit---Bocanegra
------------Bradley---Feilhaber---------
Donovan----------------------------Holden
--------------Altidore---Dempsey-----------

But Bradley will probably start Gooch, and two defensive mids ie Rico instead Benny. Both Gomez and Buddle HAVE TO make the 23.