Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

DLG

Post by DLG »

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

binary

Post by binary »

Ghana sucks pure ass, the US is gonna advance, good shit.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

binary wrote:Ghana sucks pure ass
No.

binary

Post by binary »

Positive A wrote:
No.
Um yes, they got lucky. Their only goal was on a PK, they can't finish for shit. All the African teams suck ass, the US is gonna advance.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

binary wrote:
Positive A wrote:
No.
Um yes, they got lucky. Their only goal was on a PK, they can't finish for shit. All the African teams suck ass, the US is gonna advance.
I guess you're implying that the US has much better finishing. It took them 91 minutes to score on Algeria (much, much weaker than Ghana) despite having a BOATLOAD of possession in that 2nd half. Can the US beat Ghana on Saturday? Absolutely. But its not going to be easy.

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

Ghana will be a challenge.

Axis vs Allies will be interesting.

coldwatermusic

Post by coldwatermusic »

Fuck, never been this frustrated with winning a group. Should have gifted one to Ghana after Australia was up 2-0.

binary

Post by binary »

Positive A wrote:
binary wrote:
Positive A wrote:
No.
I guess you're implying that the US has much better finishing. It took them 91 minutes to score on Algeria (much, much weaker than Ghana) despite having a BOATLOAD of possession in that 2nd half. Can the US beat Ghana on Saturday? Absolutely. But its not going to be easy.
It will be easy. Ghana is shit. I guess we'll have to just wait and see, but I have no doubt that Ghana is pure shit and they are lucky as fuck.

coldwatermusic

Post by coldwatermusic »

binary wrote:
Positive A wrote:
binary wrote:
Positive A wrote:
No.
It will be easy. Ghana is shit. I guess we'll have to just wait and see, but I have no doubt that Ghana is pure shit and they are lucky as fuck.
They are not. They're really well organized, especially for an African team. They do struggle with finishing but overall they're definitely on par with the US so far in this tournament.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

binary wrote:
Positive A wrote:
binary wrote:
Positive A wrote:
No.
lol

Should have beat Ghana 4 years ago as well, right?

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

binary wrote:
Positive A wrote:
binary wrote:
Positive A wrote:
No.
You're fucking delusional.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

Overall, happy with the games from last night.

* England finally showed some passion. Was great to see Defoe start, and also for Joe Cole to get a run. Rooney was, again, pretty unimpressive give or take a shot hitting the post. Was dissapointed to see Heskey come on - would have prefered Crouch. But a win is a win and enough to get us through to the next round, although we now face (potentially) 2 nightmare games - Germany (and possibly Argentina).

* Was nice to see Austrlia grab a win, but I can't say I'm entirely unhappy to see them fail to proceed beyond the groups if not only for the fact that too many Australians who have never watched a game of football before became overnight 'experts' on the game. I've had at least 5 Aussies preach to me about the game yet couldn't figure out the concept of goal difference.

* Happy to see US take a deserved win to top the group despite another unfortunate disallowed goal.

Panama

Post by Panama »

Positive A wrote:
binary wrote:
Positive A wrote:
binary wrote:
Positive A wrote: No.
lol

Should have beat Ghana 4 years ago as well, right?
Well Ghana did win 2-1 on a bullshit PK

BTW I don't agree with binary (Ghana's a solid team)

HomieDontPlayDat

Post by HomieDontPlayDat »

I love the people in here saying 'lol @ England' and complaining that the English team is shit and didn't deserve to advance, then following with 'America, fuck yeah!'

Let's not forget, England won top group seeding going into the tournament through one of the most impressive qualifying campaigns out of any team in the world. After that, they suffered a dip in form, but still have only had one really poor game in this tournament, which they still didn't even lose. They were the far superior team against Slovenia, and should have been up by 3 goals or more, and the USA game was no different. Based on those two performances, there is no way an objective person can say that they did not deserve to qualify from this group. I get it, it's fun to hate England, but at least be halfway reasonable.

Every big footballing (or sporting) country's media hypes their own team; I've been to other countries during tournament time and it's the same story. It doesn't make you a genius to laugh at them when they fail, simply because you're aware that they had ambitions of success.
Kalel wrote:I know a thing or two about fine ass pinot noirs

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

I'm definitely not overlooking Ghana, if anything this is a pay back game for 06. I'm proud our guys gutted it out through all the bullshit, and found a way to get a result.

Jozy was a fucking beast today. It's crazy he is only 20, and could star in 3 more WCs for us.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

HomieDontPlayDat wrote:I love the people in here saying 'lol @ England' and complaining that the English team is shit and didn't deserve to advance, then following with 'America, fuck yeah!'

Let's not forget, England won top group seeding going into the tournament through one of the most impressive qualifying campaigns out of any team in the world. After that, they suffered a dip in form, but still have only had one really poor game in this tournament, which they still didn't even lose. They were the far superior team against Slovenia, and should have been up by 3 goals or more, and the USA game was no different. Based on those two performances, there is no way an objective person can say that they did not deserve to qualify from this group. I get it, it's fun to hate England, but at least be halfway reasonable.

Every big footballing (or sporting) country's media hypes their own team; I've been to other countries during tournament time and it's the same story. It doesn't make you a genius to laugh at them when they fail, simply because you're aware that they had ambitions of success.
What happened in qualifying doesn't mean shit right now.

Saying that England should have beaten the U.S. by three goals is not even halfway reasonable. The U.S. played much better football than England in the group stages.

England had the most talent in the group, but for whatever reason forgot how to harness it. Because of that, they're unlikely to beat Germany or Argentina if they're lucky enough to make it that far. I hope I'm wrong.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

[quote="Boris."]Thanks for the congrats everybody.

[quote="jamrage"][quote="Boris."]Just got home from the bar... we were celebrating all day.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

I too am worried by Ghana, they aren't a shitty team at all. They've got talent, and as other have said they're very organized. A quality opponent to be sure.

That said, the U.S. should be favored to win the game and I like the U.S. chances to beat Uruguay or South Korea as well. To make it to the semis would be huge, but I'm not counting my chickens...

an-also

Post by an-also »

binary isn't worried about Ghana because they are a team full of black players and by default too dumb to beat a team full of white guys. amirite?

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Ghana is formidable but i want some revenge for the last world cup game against them.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

I quite enjoyed watching Ghana play last night. In the first half they arguably played better ball and actually made great chances, Germany owed the 0 to Friedrich who had 3 incredible interceptions. Keep in mind they're without their best player as well, Gyan is a pretty weak finisher though. Funny to see two brothers playing for each their side. KP Boatengs tackle on Ballack was a blessing in disguise... Ballack, who?! Ozil >>>>>>>>>> love that vampire-bat looking kid.

Germany needs to start playing better on the wings. I still back them for a medal this year, it's such an industrious team. I also hope that Ghana will beat the US, mostly because they're the best African team (in this context) and it would be charming to see atleast one of them go far.

Tonight we need to Hiroshima the Japs, I want a constant rain of crosses towards Bendys forehead. 2-0 and avoid Italy, yes we can.

Side question, I didn't hear the horns yesterday at all. Not sure if my local tv-station tuned down that particular sound-frequency or something like that? I could actually hear Boateng being booed and a bit of USA USA USA.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

HomieDontPlayDat

Post by HomieDontPlayDat »

jamrage wrote:
HomieDontPlayDat wrote:I love the people in here saying 'lol @ England' and complaining that the English team is shit and didn't deserve to advance, then following with 'America, fuck yeah!'

What happened in qualifying doesn't mean shit right now.

Saying that England should have beaten the U.S. by three goals is not even halfway reasonable. The U.S. played much better football than England in the group stages.
My point in mentioning qualifying, is that people are tending to ignore the fact that they were top seeds for a reason, not just off name. They've had a couple of poor games recently but it happens. Suddenly a couple of poor games and everyone's jumping on the 'Fuck England America rulez' bandwagon, which is particularly ironic as England were still easily the better team when the two played. And yes, it is very reasonable to say they should have been up by more goals in that game.

Nonetheless, the anti-England bias isn't reciprocated on this side of the pond. We all, including myself, hope for the US to do well, and aren't looking at their next opponents and rubbing our hands in anticipation of their defeat, regardless of how likely it may be.
Kalel wrote:I know a thing or two about fine ass pinot noirs

binary

Post by binary »

an-also wrote:binary isn't worried about Ghana because they are a team full of black players and by default too dumb to beat a team full of white guys. amirite?
no, they really do suck. They've only scored on a PK, other than that they've gotten a red carpet to the next round. They played Australia with a man up and couldn't do shit. US will win. I would not say they are too dumb, but their creativity and organization in the last quarter of the field is pure ass.

H.E.

Post by H.E. »

Did you see the Germany - Ghana match at all?

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

binary wrote:
an-also wrote:binary isn't worried about Ghana because they are a team full of black players and by default too dumb to beat a team full of white guys. amirite?
no, they really do suck. They've only scored on a PK, other than that they've gotten a red carpet to the next round. They played Australia with a man up and couldn't do shit. US will win. I would not say they are too dumb, but their creativity and organization in the last quarter of the field is pure ass.
Ban that faggot.

binary

Post by binary »

Yohan wrote:
binary wrote:
Ban that faggot.
lol, I can't. Plus I don't like using the "f" word that you refer to.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

To be fair, England is a very popular team here in the States. Usually what happens is we get bounced early, and most soccer fans I know shift their allegiance to the country most similar to our own, and to the country that has their favorite domestic league - England.

What you're seeing this year is more a sibling rivalry that stems from being in the same group, and all the hyped drummed up about a 1950 rematch. That and a combination of what different expectations do for the perception of teams. England came into the WC thinking it had a shot to win the whole damn thing, and they still do, but haven't played like world beaters, while a successful campaign for the US was getting out of the group, so to have won the group is just butter on our biscuits. The results the two team have gotten are almost identical, but our fan base is ecstatic about being in the knock out round while the English seem deflated about the way their team has played.

If England is going to win the WC they really are going to have to be World Beaters, with the route looking something like Germany, Argentina, Uruguay, Spain/Brazil.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Ooooooooooh sheeeeeeeeeit.

Live group table

Group F P W D L F A GD Pts
1. Paraguay 3 1 2 0 3 1 2 5
2. Slovakia 3 1 1 1 2 3 -1 4
3. New Zealand 3 0 3 0 2 2 0 3
4. Italy 3 0 2 1 2 3 -1 2
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

H.E.

Post by H.E. »

A goal from NZ now and this is perfect.

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

i dont think ghana sucks ass..but he's kind of right in saying that ghana havent been to imaginative in the midfield...for an african side, really fuckin boring to watch....u see just how valuable essien was to the team...gyan and ayew are really good players, but i've been disappointed with their attacking play overall.
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße