MLB Off-Season Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Tommy Bunz

MLB Off-Season Thread

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Time to start discussing some of the shit thats been going down.

LOL @ The Giants overreacting to a 'ship and giving Huff $22 mil. He's had two good years in the past 5, is a god-awful defender and a thong wearing faggot. Sabean is a terrible negotiator and it makes no sense because stud Brandon Belt isn't far from the majors and plays 1B. Can't wait till Sabean gives Juan Uribe 3 years and $30 million.

I like the Tigers/VMart deal. Fair market value and I thought he'd get at least $15 per.

Amaro gave Contreras a two year deal. Cause any time you can give a guy about hit 40 a multi-year deal, you gotta do it.

Marlins having the wierdest offseason ever. Trade away both the guys you got for one of the best hitters in baseball (how bad does the Cabrera trade look now?) for a bunch of ho-hum relievers. Trade away one of your best hitters for an overrated infielder (uggla-infante). Then sign a mediocre catcher coming off a fluke year to a ridiculous contract (Buck). I do like the upcoming Vasquez signing though, he'd be a good fit in that park.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

wow, i can't believe it took this long to make an MLB offseason thread. This proves two things:

1) work rules my life at the present moment.

2) this is a basketball board.

-wow at the victor martinez deal. Tigers are making a push for next year.

uh zip zoom

Post by uh zip zoom »

so far so good for the tigers. benoit should be a good set up guy for valverde and was a necessary addition with coke moving to the rotation.

i'm not bowled over by the v-mart signing but considering damon just got paid 8 mil to DH, and did a really fucking poor job of it, i'm happy with the upgrade.

tigers are still a quality corner OF bat and another bullpen arm away from having a shot to win the central next year, IMO.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Giants just paid 11M a year for a DH to play 1B for them.

I too like the Tigers move in this. They will probably look at Crawford, Werth and maybe a bench bat like Thome. I still canג€™t believe the Marlins dumped Miggy and every player they got in return has now been traded away.

Contreras really came into his own last season. Iג€™m cool with the two year deal. Iג€™m not cool with the deal Amaro gave Blanton a few years ago. I see Werth ending up in Boston if Lee lands in New York.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Huff signing is not to good. But was done because of the year he had and his leadership. If he comes close to what he did last season over the next 2 it avgs. 3yrs for 28 mill. Not to bad. Phila and tommy are still salty too.

pennsylvania jones
6th Man HOF

Post by pennsylvania jones »

In other news...

My Mets still finish 4th in the division in '11

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

alpha wrote:Huff signing is not to good. But was done because of the year he had and his leadership. If he comes close to what he did last season over the next 2 it avgs. 3yrs for 28 mill. Not to bad. Phila and tommy are still salty too.
Salty has nothing to do with it. A bad contract is a bad contract and your GM is king. I talk shit on the Howard contract all the time.

I'd bet he won't come close to what he did last year in the next two years.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

:naswtf: :naswtf: :naswtf: :naswtf:

from MLBrumors
The Phillies discussed the idea of bringing Pat Burrell back to Philadelphia, but decided against it.
After that abysmal post season (again)?

alpha

Post by alpha »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
alpha wrote:Huff signing is not to good. But was done because of the year he had and his leadership. If he comes close to what he did last season over the next 2 it avgs. 3yrs for 28 mill. Not to bad. Phila and tommy are still salty too.
Salty has nothing to do with it. A bad contract is a bad contract and your GM is king. I talk shit on the Howard contract all the time.

I'd bet he won't come close to what he did last year in the next two years.
what is there to suggest a massive fall off? and for whatever reason, the giants have always had to overpay FA's to stay or come here.

Gregg Popabitch

huff's peripherals are in line for what they've been in his career. But I'd never pay that kind of money for a dh playing first base though. I'd much rather have gone after Paul Konerko imo.

the fact that the giants overpay for free agents scares me when it comes to Derek Jeter.

Gregg Popabitch

sooooo as expected, the SF Giants contact Jeter's agent....

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:sooooo as expected, the SF Giants contact Jeter's agent....
If I were a Yanks fan, and I wanted Jeter back, I'd be afriad. There's nothing more Sabean loves to do than sign mediocre players for too long and too much much money. You're welcome Renteria, Zito, Rowand, Huff, and possibly Jeter. Sabe's job was on the chopping block recently, and it was snatched away with the Giants winning the World Series. He was already the longest tenured GM in baseball. So now with the win, he'll be given even more freedom to do as he wishes. Which means we should prepare for another decade of squads consisting of old utility players and hope to God that our pitching staff gets us another title. Pretty much, pray for lightning to strike the same team twice.

PEACE

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Miguel Tejada signs with the Giants.
A tear drops my eye,

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

if the sf giants sign jeter, i'm not sure how extremely i will react
Nets 2022

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Reason wrote:if the sf giants sign jeter, i'm not sure how extremely i will react
Reason, do you have me on ignore?

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

pennsylvania jones wrote:In other news...

My Mets still finish 4th in the division in '11
Does anyone else still watch family guy? I almost peed myself when this came on the other week

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRuboEJPdBM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRuboEJPdBM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Jayou Ayen wrote:
Reason wrote:if the sf giants sign jeter, i'm not sure how extremely i will react
Reason, do you have me on ignore?

hell naw

not just cuz i have a no-ignore policy, but also cuz you're cool peoples

why
Nets 2022

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Maybe cause he just posted about the Giants signing Tejada to be their shortstop? (LOL @ that signing btw. Sabean strikes again)

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

fml sry didn't see that shit yo

yay
Nets 2022

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

citizen

Post by citizen »

reds sign dontrelle willis to a minor league contract, would be interesting if he made the team, the reds have way too many pitchers

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Maybe cause he just posted about the Giants signing Tejada to be their shortstop? (LOL @ that signing btw. Sabean strikes again)
The Tejada signing is fine. $6.5 mil for one year. We won it all this year with Uribe/Renteria starting there, and he's an upgrade from both of them. It's not like Sabes paid him double digits for three years, so I'm not mad. He's just a stop gap anyways til they find out if Brandon Crawford is ever gonna be able to hit before he gets promoted.

If you want to talk about Sabean striking again, you should point out his last minute effort to resign Uribe by nearly matching the Dodgers offer of $21 million for 3 years. That would have been a fucking tragedy, and one of Sabean's patented fails.

So far, I don't think Sabean's done anything wrong this off-season. I'm fine with him giving Huff a raise. He played his ass off last year for a bargain basement price and proved his worth. Essentially they signed him for a little over $9 million a year for 3 years, and one of those years he played an integral role in winning the World Series. I agree Konerko is a better player, but he's gonna command more money over more years. And like you said, Belt is on his way, so the deal Konerko would want doesn't make sense.

One of my biggest hopes for this off season is that they resign Cody Ross.

PEACE

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

The problem with the Tejada deal is that he has regressed waaaay too much as a fielder to be able to handle the shortstop position at this point in his career. He really can't even play third base right now.
Your pitchers will be hating life next year.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Tommy Bunz wrote:The problem with the Tejada deal is that he has regressed waaaay too much as a fielder to be able to handle the shortstop position at this point in his career. He really can't even play third base right now.
you know they had fatboy, and fatterboy playing SS and 3B for sometime in SF
UBM CD COMING SOON

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:The problem with the Tejada deal is that he has regressed waaaay too much as a fielder to be able to handle the shortstop position at this point in his career. He really can't even play third base right now.
you know they had fatboy, and fatterboy playing SS and 3B for sometime in SF
Pretty much. And don't forget Edgar "Father Time" Renteria filling in the gaps there either, who at this point in his career is far from a golden glover. I mean really, the whole Giants infield sucks shit with the glove outside of Posey and Sanchez.

The pitching staff will likely be more concerned about whether the Giants' offense can put a crooked number up on the scoreboard than the defense.

PEACE

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

So basically you're saying that your GM had a chance to improve your team at one of the most important positions in baseball, did absolutely nothing to improve in that area, and you don't have any problems with it?

OK.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Tommy Bunz wrote:So basically you're saying that your GM had a chance to improve your team at one of the most important positions in baseball, did absolutely nothing to improve in that area, and you don't have any problems with it?

OK.
I'm not saying it's ideal. The Giants needs more speed, better fielding, and better contact hitting high up in the lineup. Tejada doesn't do anything to address those issues. I wanted them to try to go get Eric Bartlett. He would have addressed a lot of those issues, plus he's a local kid. I think he would have been a great fit. So when I heard about the Tejada signing, I was bummed because I knew the front office found its starting short stop for next year and any hopes I had of bringing in Bartlett went out the window.

One of my biggest concerns about Tejada isn't his limited range, because the Giants showed they can play win despite a shoddy defense. It's the fact that he hit into 25 double plays last year, which is second to Sandoval for most in the NL. That's 50 fucking double plays hit into by two players on the same side of the infield. Jesus.

BUT, all that said, I do think Tejada is an upgrade from the Uribe/Renteria platoon they were running out there last year. And the guys they had last year were good enough to win the World Series. So yeah, I'm OK with it. And I'm fucking ecstatic Sabean didn't blow his load on Jeter and sign him for $100 million through the year 2032, much less sign Jazz Hands Uribe for too much for too long.

PEACE

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

Tommy Bunz wrote:So basically you're saying that your GM had a chance to improve your team at one of the most important positions in baseball, did absolutely nothing to improve in that area, and you don't have any problems with it?

OK.
I doubt signing Jeter will be a net positive to your team, unless its something like 3/30 and even that could be meh, he's a 36yr old SS who's only had 1 strong year in the last 4, the wheels could really fall off

Gregg Popabitch

eternalreflection wrote:

OK.
I doubt signing Jeter will be a net positive to your team, unless its something like 3/30 and even that could be meh, he's a 36yr old SS who's only had 1 strong year in the last 4, the wheels could really fall off
You don't think Derek Jeter is an upgrade over Uribe, Renteria, and Tejada?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
eternalreflection wrote:

OK.
You don't think Derek Jeter is an upgrade over Uribe, Renteria, and Tejada?
He would be, but not for the cost. He's turning down offers from the Yankees that are more than twice what the Giants got Tejada for, plus he wants like three years. Dude's gonna be 40 by the time his next deal is up, if he gets what he wants, potentially making $15 million a year! The thing I like MOST about the Tejada deal is that its only for next season. If the experiment fails, so what? No harm, no foul. I'd much rather have a washed up Tejada for just next season than a washed up Jeter trying to navigate tracking down a sharply hit grounder into the hole while using a walker in the 2013 season.

PEACE