2011 Motorsports Thread (F1, NASCAR, MotoGP, IndyCar, etc.)

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Masked Terror #1

2011 Motorsports Thread (F1, NASCAR, MotoGP, IndyCar, etc.)

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

24 hours of Daytona kicks off the 2011 racing season in just a few weeks.

After that, the Daytona 500 ramps things up for real at the end of Feb.

For now, the only big news is that NASCAR drivers can only chase one championship at a time- http://www.nascar.com/news/110110/rule- ... index.html

And that Rossi showed off his Ducati leathers for the first time-

The yellow and red make for a pretty hideous combo, but I guess there will be no trouble distinguishing Rossi and Hayden (beyond one being at the front of the pack, the other in the middle).

Masked Terror #1

And now the Desmosedici 11 is revealed-

Looks pretty bad ass.

Masked Terror #1

This video (<- click that) is the sickest example of the insane speed of an F1 car I've ever seen. On the left are seriously tricked out GT cars (Porsches, etc) driving flat out. On the right, F1 cars tearing a hole in reality.

How do I get one lap??

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Awesome video thanks for posting. For those that are not big F1 fans that is not even why F1 cars are the baddest cars on the planet its the cornering speed that really sets them apart 4 to 5 gs. The baddest street cars only take a corner a little over 1.1 g. And of course breaking again in the 5 g range bascially with out even using the breaks just taking the foot of the gas they still stop faster than any street car does.

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

god i hope rossi can get to grips with ducati by the start of the season.

gonna be some crazy battles this year for sure.

Masked Terror #1

Pretty cool looking.

Masked Terror #1

Honda's triple threat.

And JL is going to use the #1 plate this season.

Testing starts in Sepang tomorrow.

Psyched to see what kind of times Spies puts up on the factory bike.

ADR

Post by ADR »

If I were Jorge and literally riding for my job at Yamaha against Valentino Rossi at the beginning of last season I would take that number 1 too. Fuck that. Broken leg or not, he earned it.

He won the loser leaves town match.

Masked Terror #1

Formatting doesn't translate well for a cut and paste, but check this for a summary of MotoGP testing times at Sepang- http://motomatters.com/results/2011/02/ ... _from.html

Looks like Honda's got things pretty dialed in. Good look for Simoncelli for sure.

Ducati's got a lot of work to do.

ADR

Post by ADR »

There's always an inherent danger in assuming greatness (Rossi @ Ducati). What he did with Yamaha in 2004 was an anomaly, a freakshow. People seem to summarily expect the same results on the Desmo. And to this day, Casey is the only character to consistently tame that thing.

If you put Simoncelli on a factory team during the last 3 races of 2010 he would've had 3 podium finishes.

Really eager to see how the top several riders shake out in a race. Stoner seems to be the real deal (amid rumors of him being the product of Ducati power, traction control, etc).

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

yeah the hondas are definitely looking like they got their shit together finally.

cant wait to see simoncelli elbowing and fighting for wins.

im hyped for this year.

ADR

Post by ADR »

Fucking Pedrosa, btw. He has all that ability but hasn't reaped the rewards in the premier class. It's crazy to see someone be able to jump so fast off the line and ride so defensively and have nothing to show for it.

Has injury been the only thing relegating him to "threat" status? I wonder if this season he can put it all together (read: not break into a million pieces) and grasp a GP Championship.

ADR

Post by ADR »

The duo to beat this season?

Masked Terror #1

Was just coming in here to post that.

Color scheme looks cool, as do Spies leathers.

Funny to hate your favorite driver's teammate.

Kind of like it.

I'm sure they'll hate each other soon.

Masked Terror #1

Obviously Bernie doesn't mean 3/4 of the shit he says and just likes to stir things up, but funny to hear the "add sprinklers" bit from someone actually within F1- http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/42110.html

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

I really wish it could rain every race but as fun as the sprinkler idea is, there is no way it would work in doing anything but making the track very slightly damp. I know I am one of the rare people that do not care about overtaking but what do they expect when you have to run quilifing in race trim the fastest car is going to get pole and the fastest care is going to win with today reliablity. Allow them to put grenade engines back in for quilifing maybe there will be more passing.

Masked Terror #1

I feel like bringing back tire competition would help too.

At the moment, you've got the fastest, generally most reliable cars up front the whole time and everyone is experiencing the same amount of tire wear and abiding by the same switch tires mandates.

If multiple tire manufacturers are competing to create the fastest, most reliable race tires - as opposed to falsely engineering race wear to keep things "interesting" - some of them will succeed and some of them will not.

Fast cars up front might fall victim to slower cars with better tire life as the race progresses.

The whole adjust your wing when you're a set distance behind the next car and you're on a certain part of the track that they're going to try this year is really just a more complicated, less reliable, potentially more dangerous version of push-to-pass. Fuck it, if you need more overtaking, just give them push to pass.

Personally, I don't need gimmicks to create overtaking. The competition is over the season, not one race. Last year we had five drivers from three teams win races and the championship wasn't determined until the last race. How much better do people expect it to be?

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Hell if they really want passing they will eliminate the front wing or change the engine formula so that 4 stroke piston engines are banned so everyone has to basically start over if not that give teams 101 percent of the last years race average fuel consumption at the start of qulifiying*. With the last one if I am a team like Virgin or another back marker I would go all out for quilifying just to get on TV and hope for the best in the race.

*Go back to open quilifiying to even everyone up

ADR

Post by ADR »

RE: MotoGP @ Qatar

I know it's only Free Practice 1 but, where the fuck did Hector Barbera come from? On a Ducati no less.

Masked Terror #1

Man, so psyched for Sunday.

Other than a great showing from Honda, I have no idea what to expect.

Ducati and Yamaha are total X-factors right now and satellite teams keep popping up with unexpected speed.

Can't wait.

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

Pos. Num. Rider Nation Team Bike Km/h Time Gap 1st/Prev.

1 27 Casey STONER AUS Repsol Honda Team Honda 324.3 1'54.137
2 26 Dani PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 326.6 1'54.342 0.205 / 0.205
3 1 Jorge LORENZO SPA Yamaha Factory Racing Yamaha 321.2 1'54.947 0.810 / 0.605
4 58 Marco SIMONCELLI ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda 324.0 1'54.988 0.851 / 0.041
5 11 Ben SPIES USA Yamaha Factory Racing Yamaha 319.1 1'55.095 0.958 / 0.107
6 8 Hector BARBERA SPA Mapfre Aspar Team MotoGP Ducati 329.8 1'55.223 1.086 / 0.128
7 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Repsol Honda Team Honda 324.2 1'55.229 1.092 / 0.006
8 35 Cal CRUTCHLOW GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 321.9 1'55.578 1.441 / 0.349
9 46 Valentino ROSSI ITA Ducati Team Ducati 324.1 1'55.637 1.500 / 0.059
10 5 Colin EDWARDS USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 320.5 1'55.647 1.510 / 0.010
11 14 Randy DE PUNIET FRA Pramac Racing Team Ducati 322.8 1'55.656 1.519 / 0.009
12 7 Hiroshi AOYAMA JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda 326.1 1'55.724 1.587 / 0.068
13 69 Nicky HAYDEN USA Ducati Team Ducati 323.5 1'55.881 1.744 / 0.157
14 65 Loris CAPIROSSI ITA Pramac Racing Team Ducati 319.1 1'56.323 2.186 / 0.442
15 17 Karel ABRAHAM CZE Cardion AB Motoracing Ducati 326.2 1'56.665 2.528 / 0.342
16 24 Toni ELIAS SPA LCR Honda MotoGP Honda 324.1 1'57.992 3.855 / 1.327
19 Alvaro BAUTISTA SPA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP Suzuki

Masked Terror #1

Ducati is really struggling.

Will be interesting to see if Rossi helps them get it figured out or if it's going to be Honda domination all year with an occasional challenge from Yamaha.

Masked Terror #1

Pretty good race. More competitive than I expected.

Can't stand Lorenzo, but good to see someone hang in there with the Honda boys.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Holy shit was the Canadian GP awesome this year. I never knew Button could do what he did today (though I would not be totally surprised if he ends up with a penalty that drops him down which still changes nothing) that was an all time drive. Once he called into the pits about tyres you could sense he was just on. The God himself was again god and what he could done today if the car was not as shitty, really surprised by the lack of pace from Merc. Vettel was great this whole race and scary good as a driver and if he could have waited one more lap before going to the slicks this was his. Nice to see Masa doing well for the most part except that one fuck up. Hamilton needs to calm it down a bit he is being over aggressive now which is biting him in the ass.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

ThaJim2 wrote:Holy shit was the Canadian GP awesome this year. I never knew Button could do what he did today (though I would not be totally surprised if he ends up with a penalty that drops him down which still changes nothing) that was an all time drive. Once he called into the pits about tyres you could sense he was just on. The God himself was again god and what he could done today if the car was not as shitty, really surprised by the lack of pace from Merc. Vettel was great this whole race and scary good as a driver and if he could have waited one more lap before going to the slicks this was his. Nice to see Masa doing well for the most part except that one fuck up. Hamilton needs to calm it down a bit he is being over aggressive now which is biting him in the ass.
Holy shit. I had Button @ +1400. I stopped watching the race at the red flag and took a nap. Didn't know Button won until I read your post.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Positive A wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:Holy shit was the Canadian GP awesome this year. I never knew Button could do what he did today (though I would not be totally surprised if he ends up with a penalty that drops him down which still changes nothing) that was an all time drive. Once he called into the pits about tyres you could sense he was just on. The God himself was again god and what he could done today if the car was not as shitty, really surprised by the lack of pace from Merc. Vettel was great this whole race and scary good as a driver and if he could have waited one more lap before going to the slicks this was his. Nice to see Masa doing well for the most part except that one fuck up. Hamilton needs to calm it down a bit he is being over aggressive now which is biting him in the ass.
Holy shit. I had Button @ +1400. I stopped watching the race at the red flag and took a nap. Didn't know Button won until I read your post.

If you have a chance watch the end of the race from the last safety car which was like with 17 laps left to go. It really was one of the best finishes I have ever seen. There was a 3 way battle for second with God driving like it was the F2001 when in reality the car was a HRT during the last stint. And wait to the last lap. Button during the last say 30 laps put together one of the all time greatest 30 laps I mean shit dude had like 7 or 8 pits including both a drive though and a front wing change. Also Button wins at life I don't think I have ever seen someone pull such much hot ass tail in my life as him drops one 11 just to find another. I always thought of him as a solid driver that you want as a number 2 but after today holyshit.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

fml.

Masked Terror #1

Man, I DVRed this and even with extending it an hour, I missed the end and all of the meat of what sounds like an insane race.

I'll catch the Speed replay on Tues.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Ecclestone 22 year old daughter just bought a 150 million dollar home.

Masked Terror #1

Is she hot?