2011 NFL Draft/Offseason Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

ThaJim2

2011 NFL Draft/Offseason Thread

Post by ThaJim2 »

Senior Bowl practice report: Day 1
MOBILE, Ala. -- One of the biggest weeks of pre-draft scouting kicked off Monday as the largest single collection of NFL coaches, scouts and general managers gathered for the 2011 Senior Bowl. For the next week the top seniors in the nation hope to showcase their skills for future employers during full-pads practice. Besides the action on the field, there's plenty of draft related news coming out of Mobile as NFL decision-makers look to the future.

The hopes that defensive end Cameron Heyward of Ohio State would participate in the Senior Bowl were dashed last week when the first-round prospect underwent surgery to repair a hyper-extended elbow suffered late in the season. Speculation is the recovery process could take as long as three months.

With so many NFL teams in desperate need of a starting quarterback and just a few expected to come from April's draft, talk in Mobile has centered on veteran signal callers likely to be dealt. The belief is the trade value for Eagles quarterback Kevin Kolb will exceed his actual playing skills and some team will overpay for him. Word is the Seahawks could be in the bidding process for Carson Palmer if the Bengals deal the disgruntled veteran. Palmer was coached by Pete Carroll late in his college career, and most feel it is a natural fit.

Jake Locker stood in front of the media on Sunday night and answered a barrage of questions about his decision to stay at Washington for his senior season. He was steadfast, telling all who asked he feels he made the proper choice by pushing off his NFL dreams by a year. Locker pointed out he received his degree upon his return and feels he's now better prepared for the NFL.

A number of teams were relieved to hear Iowa receiver Derrell Johnson-Koulianos will only receive probation in conjunction with his arrest on drug charges from last December. Johnson-Koulianos pleaded guilty to possession of marijuana in a plea-bargain deal. He was initially charged with keeping a drug house, a misdemeanor that carried up to two years in prison. The latest development means Johnson-Koulianos will likely be selected in the late round and can participate in camp this summer.

Here's a look at the most notable performance, both good and bad, from Monday's practice:

Jake Locker/QB/Washington: Locker struggled almost the entire first day in Mobile. He has an NFL arm, but the accuracy of his throws leaves much to be desired. Locker was constantly high of the mark, forcing receivers to leave their feet as they attempted to make the reception. His passes were also late as pass catchers were usually waiting for the ball to arrive.

Colin Kaepernick/QB/Nevada: Kaepernick entered the week with a lot of questions surrounding his game yet answered many of them in the early going. On Monday he displayed the ability to play in a disciplined NFL passing system after spending most of his college career in a spread offense which allowed him to carry the ball almost as much as he threw it. Kaepernick showed a strong arm and most importantly was on target with most of his throws. He was very accurate with his short and intermediate throws, and had the ball to receivers as they left their breaks. Kaepernick needs to improve his longer passes but it was a terrific initial practice for the senior.

James Brewer/T/Indiana: Brewer pulled off a dominant performance on the first day of Senior Bowl practice and quickly established himself as the best blocker at the event. He looked big and powerful during morning weigh-ins then played that way in the afternoon. Brewer moves well on his feet and also annihilates opponents once he got his hands on them. He was never beat today and drew praise from coaches on a number of occasions.

Cameron Jordan/DL/California: Jordan flashed brilliance today as well as a variety of skill. He showcased his terrific athleticism and easily moved about the field, quickly getting up the field to rush the passer or displaying speed chasing the action in pursuit. Jordan is not the strongest defensive lineman but his 6-foot, 4-inch, 287-pound frame has room to grow and add bulk. It was an impressive start for Jordan.

Leonard Hankerson/WR/Miami: Hankerson proved to be a handful for whomever attempted to cover him. He continually created separation and beat multiple cornerbacks deep to make the downfield catch. Hankerson did not drop a pass all day and made several difficult receptions in practice.

Gabe Carimi/T/Wisconsin: Carimi was better than advertised and looked effective as a run blocker and in pass protection. He played with good fundamentals and worked his blocks hard all afternoon. Carimi was stronger than most expected and also displayed solid footwork. He constantly showed the ability to knock pass rushers away from the action.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... z1C4pb4xe4

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Here is the list of underclassmen that have entered the draft

Jerrell Powe Junior NT Mississippi 12/4/2010
Tyron Smith Junior T USC 12/14/2010
Jurrell Casey Junior DT USC 12/14/2010
Aaron Williams Junior CB Texas 12/30/2010
DeAndre Brown Junior WR Southern Miss 12/30/2010
Jordan Todman Junior RB UCONN 1/1/2011
Blaine Gabbert Junior QB Missouri 1/3/2011
Tandon Doss Junior WR Indiana 1/3/2011
Akeem Ayers Junior LB UCLA 1/3/2011
Brandon Harris Junior CB Miami (FL) 1/3/2011
Kyle Rudolph Junior TE Notre Dame 1/4/2011
Daג€™Quan Bowers Junior DE Clemson 1/5/2011
J.J. Watt Junior DE Wisconsin 1/6/2011
Marcell Dareus Junior DE Alabama 1/6/2011
Mark Ingram Junior RB Alabama 1/6/2011
Ryan Mallett Junior QB Arkansas 1/6/2011
Rahim Moore Junior S UCLA 1/7/2011
Julio Jones Junior WR Alabama 1/7/2011
John Clay Junior RB Wisconsin 1/7/2011
Aldon Smith Sophomore DE Missouri 1/7/2011
Robert Sands Junior S West Virginia 1/8/2011
A.J. Green Junior WR Georgia 1/9/2011
Ryan Williams Junior RB Virginia Tech 1/9/2011
Patrick Peterson Junior CB LSU 1/9/2011
Martez Wilson Junior LB Illinois 1/10/2011
Jacquizz Rodgers Junior RB Oregon St 1/10/2011
Dion Lewis Junior RB Pittsburgh 1/10/2011
Jon Baldwin Junior WR Pittsburgh 1/10/2011
Henry Hynoski Junior FB Pittsburgh 1/10/2011
Mikel Leshoure Junior RB Illinois 1/12/2011
Corey Liuget Junior DT Illinois 1/12/2011
Tyler Sash Junior S Iowa 1/12/2011
Stevan Ridley Junior RB LSU 1/12/2011
Randall Cobb Junior WR Kentucky 1/13/2011
Cam Newton Junior QB Auburn 1/13/2011
Nick Fairley Junior DT Auburn 1/14/2011
Will Hill Junior S Florida 1/15/2011
Taiwan Jones Junior RB Eastern Washington 1/15/2011
Justin Houston Junior LB Georgia 1/16/2011
Darvin Adams Junior WR Auburn 1/17/2011
Marvin Austin Junior DT North Carolina
Brandon Burton Junior DB Utah
Nick Claytor Junior T Georgia Tech
Darren Evans Junior RB Virginia Tech
Tori Gurley Junior WR South Carolina
Lawrence Guy Junior DT Arizona State
Jamel Hamler Junior WR Fresno State
Jamie Harper Junior RB Clemson
Thomas Keiser Junior LB Stanford
Javes Lewis Junior DB Oregon
Greg Little Junior WR North Carolina
Zane Parr Junior DE Virginia
Robert Quinn Junior DE North Carolina
Sealver Siliga Junior DT Utah
Torrey Smith Junior WR Maryland
Jerrard Tarrant Junior DB Georgia Tech
Shane Vereen Junior RB California
Muhammad Wilkerson Junior DT Temple

The dates at the end are when they annoced.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Gonna be keeping my eye on JJ Watt and Jeremy Beal. I've heard their names in association with what the Jets might do in the draft.

ric

Post by ric »

Jake Locker/QB/Washington: Locker struggled almost the entire first day in Mobile. He has an NFL arm, but the accuracy of his throws leaves much to be desired. Locker was constantly high of the mark, forcing receivers to leave their feet as they attempted to make the reception. His passes were also late as pass catchers were usually waiting for the ball to arrive.
both are spot on for diagnosing some of lockers key issues
but also in his favor if you look at 'his' production during the season im not just bitching to say that his wrs had terrible hands. terrible horrible hands. theoretically his 90mph fast balls into an nfls wrs chest/stomach will be much less of an issue. when he was throwing with touch his uw wrs werent catching it.

he can throw a cannonball into a hole if the wr is waiting for it but his ability to throw a post route into a soft zone leaves much to be desired.

physical skills like a motherfucker. obviously. and theyve gotten better every year. but also, the guy has really only been working on his touch in a passing offense for 2 years. i mean ty willingham & crew werent exactly super mega balling on the field

locker has gotten a lot better but hes got room to improve.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

ric wrote:
but also in his favor if you look at 'his' production during the season im not just bitching to say that his wrs had terrible hands. terrible horrible hands. theoretically his 90mph fast balls into an nfls wrs chest/stomach will be much less of an issue. when he was throwing with touch his uw wrs werent catching it.

he can throw a cannonball into a hole if the wr is waiting for it but his ability to throw a post route into a soft zone leaves much to be desired.

physical skills like a motherfucker. obviously. and theyve gotten better every year. but also, the guy has really only been working on his touch in a passing offense for 2 years. i mean ty willingham & crew werent exactly super mega balling on the field

If you had to rank all the factors that go into being a successful NFL QB (e.g. arm strength, accuracy, ball security, feel for maneuvering in the pocket, speed of release, "leadership", pre-snap reads and audibles, speed through receiver progression, quick learner/film study rat, etc.), what would you put first on the list?

I guess the question is would you put accuracy first on the list?

I guess the implication of the question is that I think I'd put accuracy first on the list.

Also, has this been a thread before?

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

ric wrote:

He's gotten a lot better and still played as shitty as he did this year? That says a lot about him. The only games he really looked good in were Oregon State and USC (the 7th best and worst pass defenses in the Pac 10).

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:
ric wrote:

He's gotten a lot better and still played as shitty as he did this year? That says a lot about him. The only games he really looked good in were Oregon State and USC (the 7th best and worst pass defenses in the Pac 10).

This. His fans are freakin insane, worse than Tebow fans, everything good he does its his singluar greatness which allowed that to transpire and all 4 of the games he could not hit even 100 yards passing and his 55 percent complation percentage are the fault of everyone but him. I feel bad for the coach of the team that drafts him as this kid is going to be a coach killer.

ric

Post by ric »

@kid lifeless
im just saying to say it. im hoping he can be successful but realize hes got problems.

this whole 'either hes ready or hes not' type mentality is not hot to me. if a team drafts him and expects him to be the hotness i dont think he can pull that off but i would say thats turrible coaching.

i would also say that the amount of improvement hes shown in basically one full year of quality qb coaching has yielded awesome results. if his nfl coaches can continue that, hes got a shot.

but also remember: his wrs didnt catch barely ANYTHING and his comp% was still 55%.

during the nebraska game his wrs dropped half or more of his incompletions and he still went 5-16 against some big, tough, talented corners.
I guess the question is would you put accuracy first on the list?

I guess the implication of the question is that I think I'd put accuracy first on the list.
accuracy is probably #1 or #2 with the ability to read. im not saying hes an unheralded genius but its not like hes hopeless. and dont get me wrong, he can and has thrown accurately, but it appears to not be predictably consistent.

ric

Post by ric »

how about mike pouncey by the way?
i saw one florida game this year. dude was getting 2-3 blocks PER RUSH and hitting guys 15 yards down field to finish

@ jim:
im just saying, give him some time and well see. locker fans ARE nuts, ill be the first guy to tell you this
Last edited by ric on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

If Locker would have came out and had gone #1 over Sam Bradford, that would have been some bullshit. I wasn't enamored with Bradford after he hurt his shoulder twice in his last season, but I definitely haven't been in the Locker camp because he would have been an even bigger gamble.

I was a believer in Suh over Bradford and he paid off by making the Pro Bowl and by being named All-Pro. Bradford exceeded expectations by at least having the Rams a game away from making the playoffs. He has a great future ahead of him and is someone to you can build a franchise around.

As someone who watched a lot of Washington games over the years while Locker was there, he never impressed me as someone who would transition well to a pro game because he was in a spread option offense his first two years and he didn't set the world on fire. When Sark got there his junior year he didn't do anything to distinguish himself as the man at his position. Homie is just flat out overrated and his hype machine was not warranted. He got exposed really bad in the first Nebraska game and several others throughout the year. I wouldn't draft him in the 1st round and any team that does will regret it.

Also, Akeem Ayers is the real deal. I'm not just saying that as UCLA fan, but anybody that saw him play (I sincerely doubt that too many people on this board have), would acknowledge him as a great athlete and could project as a future Pro Bowler. The close range interceptions that he made against Temple in the bowl game last year and Stanford are proof positive of his athleticism. Too bad the UCLA defense couldn't match his ability this year.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

I will sticky this and make it the offsesaon thread as well as soon as the super bowl is done with.

Stunna7516

Post by Stunna7516 »

Can someone give me the rundown on Prince Amukamara? Didn't get to watch dude play much at Nebraska besides a couple of games this year, but I hear buzz about him to the Browns if they can't get Green or a blue chip DE.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Stunna7516 wrote:Can someone give me the rundown on Prince Amukamara? Didn't get to watch dude play much at Nebraska besides a couple of games this year, but I hear buzz about him to the Browns if they can't get Green or a blue chip DE.
He is a big corner that is great in bump and run as well as being a good zone corner. He is excellent in man but there are some questions if he has the speed to cover NFL WR on deep routes as he is more quick than fast.

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

Stunna7516 wrote:Can someone give me the rundown on Prince Amukamara? Didn't get to watch dude play much at Nebraska besides a couple of games this year, but I hear buzz about him to the Browns if they can't get Green or a blue chip DE.
would love for him to fall to Dallas. the big Q with him, as a shutdown corner, dude had 0 Int's last year. I'm sure thats due to people not throwing to him.

Patrick Peterson at LSU looked average vs Texas AM. but he's still seems projected to be the top CB taken. Probably will make the switch to safety in the pros.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Not the fastest guy.
Definitely needs more work on his technique.
Seems like he has a hard time tracking the ball while it's in the air.

He did pretty good this year when he wasn't going against Justin Blackmon.

____

Pat Peterson is a hell of a return man but are you really going to ask your #1 pick to return kicks/punts. Dez Bryant?

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Jeff Fisher fired http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... ff-fisher/

I can't find any confirmation but saw somewhere this morning that the Vickings either signed or where looking at VY.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

The vikings are taking a QB at 7. i just can't figure out who it'll be. they cant be wrong on this one

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

ThaJim2 wrote:Jeff Fisher fired http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... ff-fisher/

I can't find any confirmation but saw somewhere this morning that the Vickings either signed or where looking at VY.
Was Vince already released? Cause if Fisher is done, new coach might want to keep him.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

still illiterate wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:Jeff Fisher fired http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... ff-fisher/

Was Vince already released? Cause if Fisher is done, new coach might want to keep him.
Not positive I think he was released already a couple of weeks ago. I read the VY to vikes story this morning when I was still half a sleep and can't remember what site it was on.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

the VY story was on bleacher report.

that was because frazier hired a former titans coach, something called craig johnson.

i hear the vikings have no interest in him which makes me happy

and when ej henderson makes the pro bowl over chad greenway you know its all a joke anyway
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Patches O'Houlihan

Post by Patches O'Houlihan »

C'mon Dolphins trade down and get Pouncey(1st) and Hankerson in the second round, Kaepernick in the 3rd, linemen and running backs rest of the way!!
A new era has begun and it goes by the numbers 1,3,6

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Actually pretty surprised that the Titans waited this long to do it if they wanted to get rid of Fisher.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Patches O'Houlihan wrote:C'mon Dolphins trade down and get Pouncey(1st) and Hankerson in the second round, Kaepernick in the 3rd, linemen and running backs rest of the way!!
If I was a Dolphins fan, I'd want them to grab a QB in the 1st.

Patches O'Houlihan

Me too but who are you gonna get?! Newton and Gabbert are gone, the evoluttion of the QB position is someone who can be a pocket passer but can move outta the pocket, use Roethlisberger as a blueprint, so that rules out Mallett, you gonna waste a top 15 pick on Locker? Dont think so, Dolphins brass wants desperately back into the 2nd rd so they will trade down, the jury is still out on Henne, this is the year, 2nd full season, new Offensive staff, plus hopefully a better O-line to pass protect and run block so Henne has less to do. His numbers arent bad he just needs the system to give him freedom to do whatever he wants, I hated Henne last season but its not over yet.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

patches - are you not sold on mark ingram?

i want the 49ers to trade the pick. or get prince, or a fast rushing DE.

other ideas will leave me mildly pissed and will have to be proved otherwise in the season.

Patches O'Houlihan

Dont get me wrong Ill take Ingram all day, but the guy wont get his yds without an O-line making holes for you. If you have the O-line anyone can run, thats why this league is predominately running back by committee. I think Ingram sets himself apart with his patience and manueverability which will allow him to get more yds after contact. I think he'll be great but would I rather have a trade down scenario pick up Pouncey and get Demarco Murray in the 2nd........... YES

Patches O'Houlihan

Nl5H wrote:patches - are you not sold on mark ingram?

i want the 49ers to trade the pick. or get prince, or a fast rushing DE.

other ideas will leave me mildly pissed and will have to be proved otherwise in the season.
San Fran another one of those teams possibly looking for a QB, they dont need much to be a contender in the West, you should be thrilled, Harbaugh will run the hell outta that team for years unless Bradford becomes the next Tom Brady

ric

Post by ric »

Bradford becomes the next Tom Brady
sweet that mcdaniels is the rams O coordinator now

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

oh shit, it's patches yo.

anyone seen the latest YAC numbers heading into the combine?

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Jerry Jones wants a 22 game season

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011 ... be-doable/

If he persuades his boy McNair to go along with this junk kiss the season goodbye.