The Official Boxing Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

ADR

Post by ADR »

Prior to this card they were considering Andy Lee vs. Sergio Martinez.

That bout results in Andy Lee being Paul William'd in spectacular fashion.

I have little to no interest in Cotto/ Margarito II.

If Maravilla could get down to 154 I would rather see Cotto/ Sergio

ADR

Post by ADR »

Martinez wants Pacquiao, Cotto

Photo: Emily Harney

ג€œI want no easy fights,ג€ said middleweight champion Sergio ג€œMaravilleג€ Martinez after dismantling previously undefeated Sergiy Dzinziruk on Saturday night at Foxwoods. ג€œThey (Paul Williams and Dzinziruk) are two different fighters. Paul Williams and Dzinziruk have different tactics. Dzinziruk is a very smart fighter but I beat him at his own game ג€“ the jab. It was supposed to be a technical fight.ג€ Martinez added that heג€™s willing to go to down to 154lbs to take on Manny Pacquiao or Miguel Cotto. ג€œCotto would be a good fight. I just want to fight the best. If Cotto is man enough, he will ask to fight Sergio Martinez. I will not stop until I am recognized as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.ג€

Martinezג€™ promoter Lou DiBella stated, ג€œPound-for-pound, (Sergio) is the best fighter in the world. Tonight you saw why heג€™s going to the Hall of Fame. He is the best middleweight from Argentina since Carlos Monzon.ג€

Dzinzirukג€™s co-promoter Gary Shaw commented ג€œWe still have the best 154-pound fighter in the world. There isnג€™t a 154-pound fighter in the world we wouldnג€™t fight.ג€

Source

The Aluminum Falcon

Post by The Aluminum Falcon »

El Rey wrote:Prior to this card they were considering Andy Lee vs. Sergio Martinez.

That bout results in Andy Lee being Paul William'd in spectacular fashion.
Agreed. Andy Lee gets knocked the fuck out in the early round(s)
I have little to no interest in Cotto/ Margarito II.
Why? the first fight was an absolute war while it lasted and considering the controversy surrounding Margarito and the handwrap scandal this fight sells itself.

Plus it would be way more evenly matched than
If Maravilla could get down to 154 I would rather see Cotto/ Sergio
would be.

I kind of agree with Max on the Kirkland Martinez match up. James is out of jail and he's shaking the ring rust off fast. I think he is fighting later this month at 160 and then again in April. It would be great to see him get in there with Dmitry Pirog as well(both fights I believe Martinez will win).Pacquiao and Mayweather won't be stepping up to fight Sergio.

ADR

Post by ADR »

LOL, the sound of the left-hook that Cotto hit Mayorga with is incredible. Holy shit.

Falcon, Margarito doesn't walk opponents down like he used to. He uses a jab and does some half-ass attempt to box with them. Cotto is going to outbox him and beat him to the punch for 12 Rounds. I just have no interest in seeing it.

Fans of that fight seem more interested in the romance of the storyline than the actual fight.

On the flipside, you think Sergio Martinez simply walks through Miguel Cotto? I don't know how that fight plays out, which is intriguing.

atlantiswasreal

Post by atlantiswasreal »

i gotta say, and i'm shocked that i am, but who'd thought - imo - that the cotto./mayorga and andy lee/craig mcewan bouts would have been my fav fights?

sergio was just toying with his opponent, pretty much. which just shows how high of a level fighter he is because that guy - i'm not going to attempt to spell his name out - was definitely no pushover. I'd like to see him fight again. but really, he was outclassed by sergio. i have no idea who'd he fight next that could genuinely give him a run for his oney. kirkland sounds interesting, but he's unproven and undeserving. paqman is waaay too small for sergio as sergo has stated in the past. i think mayweather would be a somewhat realistic opponent, but i doubt mayweather is willing to move up a few pounds in weight and i doubt sergio is willing to go that far down. for the money, sergio might, but maywather is such a ducker. the risk vs the reward is not worth it for him.

anyone else catch the ricky burns fight? i had never seen him before but i really enjoyed his style.
and as someone mentioned earlier - how could you NOT want to watch a cotto/margorito rematch? i think people are assuming that Margarito has nothing left, but i could easily see that rematch being a crazy fight. like they say - styles make fights. ofcourse, that shit should NOT be PPV.

The Aluminum Falcon

El Rey wrote:LOL, the sound of the left-hook that Cotto hit Mayorga with is incredible. Holy shit.

Falcon, Margarito doesn't walk opponents down like he used to. He uses a jab and does some half-ass attempt to box with them. Cotto is going to outbox him and beat him to the punch for 12 Rounds. I just have no interest in seeing it.

Fans of that fight seem more interested in the romance of the storyline than the actual fight.

On the flipside, you think Sergio Martinez simply walks through Miguel Cotto? I don't know how that fight plays out, which is intriguing.
I do enjoy the story behind the fight, that is definitely part of it's appeal to me, but I also believe Margarito will come forward and try to pick up where he left off in the last one considering that strategy proved to be successful. I think it would be another action fight and it would mean a lot to Cotto and his confidence to get that win.

Cotto Martinez? well I would be lying if I said it wouldn't be of interest to me but it's no secret that Cotto is a bit past his prime now and getting in the ring with a bigger,lighting fast, powerful and elusive southpaw at the peak of his career would probably be a tall order for Cotto. Would Sergio walk through him? maybe not. But the way he dominated Dzinzurik last night makes me think it's a definite possibility.I just think that Cotto Margarito 2 is the most entertaining fight and the bigger money making fight.

Sergio just needs to continue his dominance at 160 and make a name for himself, it would be nice to see him get some more exposure with a Mayweather or Pacquiao fight but it sounds like he's just gonna have to become a star the old fashioned way, by cleaning out his division, looking impressive and possibly moving up to challenge the bigger names at 168. And with HBO in his corner in the absence of Pacquiao, I think he will get the attention he deserves soon enough.

atlantiswasreal

El Rey wrote:LOL, the sound of the left-hook that Cotto hit Mayorga with is incredible. Holy shit.

i think martinez would run circles around cotto. and i'm a big cotto fan, but i don't think it would even be fair. plus i'm not sure how much of cotto's power would carry over if he oved up in weight. plus he's probably going to be slower.

atlantiswasreal

The Aluminum Falcon wrote:

I do enjoy the story behind the fight, that is definitely part of it's appeal to me, but I also believe Margarito will come forward and try to pick up where he left off in the last one considering that strategy proved to be successful. I think it would be another action fight and it would mean a lot to Cotto and his confidence to get that win.

Cotto Martinez? well I would be lying if I said it wouldn't be of interest to me but it's no secret that Cotto is a bit past his prime now and getting in the ring with a bigger,lighting fast, powerful and elusive southpaw at the peak of his career would probably be a tall order for Cotto. Would Sergio walk through him? maybe not. But the way he dominated Dzinzurik last night makes me think it's a definite possibility.I just think that Cotto Margarito 2 is the most entertaining fight and the bigger money making fight.

Sergio just needs to continue his dominance at 160 and make a name for himself, it would be nice to see him get some more exposure with a Mayweather or Pacquiao fight but it sounds like he's just gonna have to become a star the old fashioned way, by cleaning out his division, looking impressive and possibly moving up to challenge the bigger names at 168. And with HBO in his corner in the absence of Pacquiao, I think he will get the attention he deserves soon enough.
i agree with everyone one of those points. slim pickins for sergio at this point, but it's going to be entertaining to watch him clean out the middleweight division. i actually would not mind at paul williams rubbermatch.

wouldn't it be funny if sergio moved up to 168 where pavlik will be at and wind up fighting him again? :lol:

The Aluminum Falcon

Jayou Ayen wrote:Love watching Sergio . (nh)
They kept mentioning Kirkland as a possible future opponent, what do the experts on here think of him?

Not an expert by any means but with Kirkland's combination of explosive power, speed and his tenacity he could just be the one to knock Sergio out, but the inexperience, and possibly the move up and weight(he's moving from 154 to 160 in his next fight) are a couple factors, along with the Sergio Martinez being the shit factor, that would have him as the underdog in the fight.

Depending on what the betting odds are on the fight if it ever happened, it probably wouldn't be a bad move to put a few bucks on Kirkland by KO.I think he would have a decent chance of pulling off the upset, but we gotta see how James is looking when he steps his level of comp up first.He's got the right tools, that's obvious.

The Aluminum Falcon

atlantiswasreal wrote:wouldn't it be funny if sergio moved up to 168 where pavlik will be at and wind up fighting him again? :lol:
It would be a :rofl: / :owens: situation. I really wouldn't want to see it.

I'd also like to see Paul stay down at 154 too, I'd like to see him make a comeback at that weight and I think it's going to happen. I like Paul but he's not the most cerebral fighter out there and at this point I think Sergio has his number. If Paul didn't make the needed defensive adjustments in the rematch that he needed I don't see him changing it the third time around.

atlantiswasreal

The Aluminum Falcon wrote:
atlantiswasreal wrote:wouldn't it be funny if sergio moved up to 168 where pavlik will be at and wind up fighting him again? :lol:
It would be a :rofl: / :owens: situation. I really wouldn't want to see it.

I'd also like to see Paul stay down at 154 too, I'd like to see him make a comeback at that weight and I think it's going to happen. I like Paul but he's not the most cerebral fighter out there and at this point I think Sergio has his number. If Paul didn't make the needed defensive adjustments in the rematch that he needed I don't see him changing it the third time around.

true indeed. but i still love paul williams. he just happened to be fighting against sergio martinez, but outside of that, who's really fucking with him? plus there's the added intrigue that paul williams could probably fuck anyone up from as low as welterweight - his camp claims he can make that weight - to maybe even 160-168. the guy is clearly undersized for his frame. i would love to see him in against cotto or a legit full 12 round match against cintron. the possibilities are there. maybe in the near future have him fight kirkland and that winners gets sergio.

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Aluminum Falcon

the dead poet wrote:Image
:lol:

dubs

Post by dubs »

i havent watched that fight yet, but i love mayorga.(yh)
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

The Aluminum Falcon

Williams denies 147 return, wants Martinez trilogy.

By Christian Vick - Boxing News

Former three time welterweight champion, Paul ג€œPunisherג€ Williams, has spent the last couple of months in relative obscurity. Last November, his dreams came crashing down courtesy of Sergio Martinez, who knocked Williams out in the second round of tehir rematch. Many in the boxing world have wondered if Williams' career would ever recover.

Seemingly, Paul Williams could return to the ring against a plethora of opponents spanning three different weight divisions. Or could he? This writer had a sit down chat with the former world champion. Williams was very optimistic about his prospects, and seemed fired up to return to the ring

Paul, There are some reports out there that you would like to return to the welterweight division. Is there a specific reasoning behind that?

PW: That is false. I have no intention of going back to 147 pounds. None. I donג€™t know why that is out there. The only fights I will take at 147 pounds are Mayweather and Pacaquio fights. Thatג€™s it. They arenג€™t trying to see me right now though so 147 pounds isnג€™t going to happen.

Whatג€™s up with the WBC? Their Preisdent, Jose Sulaiman, announced that you were part of four-man tournament to get a shot at the title held by Saul Alvarez. Have you been informed of this. Why should you have to fight two fights to get Saul "Canelo" Alvarez? It seems a bit incongruous.

PWLaughs) I have not heard about it. Pretty sure Canelo does not want that fight. So why do it? There are other fights out there.

Then who? Would you entertain a rubber match with Sergio Martinez?

Yes. Absolutely. I want that fight. I will take it if the chance presents itself. I would like to get a chance to redeem myself. I have no ill will towards Sergio. I like him personally, we have a good relationship. I still want to get him in the ring one last time

Anyone else?

Anyone can get it. Anyone at 154 pounds. Any of the middleweights. It doesnג€™t matter. HBO has thrown out some names, nothing is certain. Itג€™s looking like June, but not even that is certain. I am going to continue to work hard. It was a tough loss. Sometimes in boxing, people get caught. I am going to move past it and show the world what I can do[/img]

atlantiswasreal

The Aluminum Falcon wrote:Williams denies 147 return, wants Martinez trilogy.

Former three time welterweight champion, Paul ג€œPunisherג€ Williams, has spent the last couple of months in relative obscurity. Last November, his dreams came crashing down courtesy of Sergio Martinez, who knocked Williams out in the second round of tehir rematch. Many in the boxing world have wondered if Williams' career would ever recover.

Seemingly, Paul Williams could return to the ring against a plethora of opponents spanning three different weight divisions. Or could he? This writer had a sit down chat with the former world champion. Williams was very optimistic about his prospects, and seemed fired up to return to the ring

Paul, There are some reports out there that you would like to return to the welterweight division. Is there a specific reasoning behind that?

PW: That is false. I have no intention of going back to 147 pounds. None. I donג€™t know why that is out there. The only fights I will take at 147 pounds are Mayweather and Pacaquio fights. Thatג€™s it. They arenג€™t trying to see me right now though so 147 pounds isnג€™t going to happen.

Whatג€™s up with the WBC? Their Preisdent, Jose Sulaiman, announced that you were part of four-man tournament to get a shot at the title held by Saul Alvarez. Have you been informed of this. Why should you have to fight two fights to get Saul "Canelo" Alvarez? It seems a bit incongruous.

PWLaughs) I have not heard about it. Pretty sure Canelo does not want that fight. So why do it? There are other fights out there.

Yes. Absolutely. I want that fight. I will take it if the chance presents itself. I would like to get a chance to redeem myself. I have no ill will towards Sergio. I like him personally, we have a good relationship. I still want to get him in the ring one last time

Anyone else?

Anyone can get it. Anyone at 154 pounds. Any of the middleweights. It doesnג€™t matter. HBO has thrown out some names, nothing is certain. Itג€™s looking like June, but not even that is certain. I am going to continue to work hard. It was a tough loss. Sometimes in boxing, people get caught. I am going to move past it and show the world what I can do[/img]
besides sergio, everyone has ducked p-will - even cats that face him - cintron. what big name/fighter on his level is going to get in the ring with him?

The Aluminum Falcon

atlantiswasreal wrote:
The Aluminum Falcon wrote:Williams denies 147 return, wants Martinez trilogy.

Anyone else?

besides sergio, everyone has ducked p-will - even cats that face him - cintron. what big name/fighter on his level is going to get in the ring with him?
I agree. Nobody wanted to fight Paul and you know Alvarez is going to duck him. I think Kirkland would probably down, maybe Angulo. What needs to happen in the middleweight division is what we see happening in the JWW and SMW divisions.

:lol: @ Cintron.

My favorite part was when he punched the ambulance door saying "this is bullshit" and then he's out of the hospital with no injuries in a couple of hours. That was some disgraceful shit.

atlantiswasreal

I agree. Nobody wanted to fight Paul and you know Alvarez is going to duck him. I think Kirkland would probably down, maybe Angulo. What needs to happen in the middleweight division is what we see happening in the JWW and SMW divisions.

:lol: @ Cintron.

My favorite part was when he punched the ambulance door saying "this is bullshit" and then he's out of the hospital with no injuries in a couple of hours. That was some disgraceful shit.
what the fuck is up with angulo. i get that he can't get into the country or whatever, but why is he not fighting? that's another guy no one wants to fuck with. and i get this feeling kirkland is hungry and everything, but is he deserving of any big names yet? they need to put him up against saul alvarez, he won't be able to cherry pick no names and washed up fighters for much longer - not that i want to see saul alvarez get manhandled. the guy is waaaay young and i think he's good for boxing.

and don't get me started on cintron. i watched that p-will/cintron fight with my gf and we were both wondering what the fuck happened. i just don't see how him falling out the ring looks like anything other than him actually launching himself out. almost like superman taking flight or something. the guy does have talent and can punch. but he's got a disproportionate amount of drama surrounding his fights. i just got finished watching the match he had with martinez - what a joke. the thing is, he's faced guys no one else wants to fight so i really don't know what to make of his antics. how about a p-will/cintron rematch where one guy gets KO'd or it goes a full 12 rounds - drama free, please.

The Aluminum Falcon

I don't have a clue about what is going on with Angulo. And yeah, a lot of these guys are young but they got to fight each other and prove their worth. Paul deserves a Cotto or Alvarez fight at 154 imo, but Cotto Margarito should be next and I have a feeling Alvarez has some real bullshit title defenses in his future. Kirkland is young, and he still needs to get back in the groove of things but I'm kind of tired of boxers that think that their 0 is everything.

I hope this Sergio loss turns out to be a good thing for Paul, hopefully these guys will see him as being more vulnerable and have enough balls to fight the guy. Boxing needs Paul Williams, he's exciting and he's up to the challenge. That loss hasn't really hurt his credibility too much, in my eyes at least.

atlantiswasreal

The Aluminum Falcon wrote:I don't have a clue about what is going on with Angulo. And yeah, a lot of these guys are young but they got to fight each other and prove their worth. Paul deserves a Cotto or Alvarez fight at 154 imo, but Cotto Margarito should be next and I have a feeling Alvarez has some real bullshit title defenses in his future. Kirkland is young, and he still needs to get back in the groove of things but I'm kind of tired of boxers that think that their 0 is everything.

I hope this Sergio loss turns out to be a good thing for Paul, hopefully these guys will see him as being more vulnerable and have enough balls to fight the guy. Boxing needs Paul Williams, he's exciting and he's up to the challenge. That loss hasn't really hurt his credibility too much, in my eyes at least.
i got a feeling that margarito is going to destroy cotto. as much as i'd like it to be the other away around. and it looks like that fight is probably going to happen. and yeah, i agree with that saul alvarez comment. part of the reason they got him that belt was to protect him so he was in the driver's seat.

i agree totally with what you said about paul williams. but people nowadays see a guy loose and it's the end of the world. what happened to the days of when you could lose a fight, learn from it, and elevate your game to the next level?

well, for sure sergio has two fights lined up within the next 7 months or so -it's written down, but as far as who is opponents are is anyone's guess. but you know they're going to be quality opponents. that second match he's got lined up with be on PPV.

The Aluminum Falcon

you can watch Klitschko Solis in HD for free with this free 14 day trial

http://www.epixhd.com/freetrial-boxing/

Doesn't ask for your credit card info or nothing, just a zipcode and you get a 14 day trial and they have a bunch of movies and stuff too(Epix is a new premium channel for those of you who haven't heard of it).

Fight + undercard starts at 5pm EST.

atlantiswasreal

The Aluminum Falcon wrote:Image

you can watch Klitschko Solis in HD for free with this free 14 day trial

http://www.epixhd.com/freetrial-boxing/

Doesn't ask for your credit card info or nothing, just a zipcode and you get a 14 day trial and they have a bunch of movies and stuff too(Epix is a new premium channel for those of you who haven't heard of it).

Fight + undercard starts at 5pm EST.
good looking out.
:cheers:

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Xd8Xc6qJIo?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Xd8Xc6qJIo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

so fucking lame
Nets 2022

atlantiswasreal

Reason wrote:<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Xd8Xc6qJIo?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Xd8Xc6qJIo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

so fucking lame
just gone done watching that "fight" wow, i would be pissed if i had paid for tickets to see that fight. at least, the bute fight wasn't all that bad.

The Aluminum Falcon

Reason wrote:<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Xd8Xc6qJIo?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Xd8Xc6qJIo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

so fucking lame
Yeah. That was the biggest disappointment ever.

The Aluminum Falcon

If you like good Boxing highlights Gorilla Productions is pretty much the best one out there right now.

<object width="640" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nM6yMAvwjkE?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nM6yMAvwjkE?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="510"></embed></object>

Check his channel out: http://www.youtube.com/user/gorillaproductions03

atlantiswasreal

The Aluminum Falcon wrote:If you like good Boxing highlights Gorilla Productions is pretty much the best one out there right now.

<object width="640" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nM6yMAvwjkE?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nM6yMAvwjkE?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="510"></embed></object>

i think i heard about gorilla productions on the boxing truth.

The Aluminum Falcon

Friday Night Fights just started.One of the super Cubans Erislandy Lara is on in the main event.

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

The Aluminum Falcon wrote:If you like good Boxing highlights Gorilla Productions is pretty much the best one out there right now.

awesome video. And a fucking beautiful youtube channel. Thanks for posting that shit. I've been rifling through all the videos tonight.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Aluminum Falcon

go to www.espn3.com

Dmitry Pirog vs Javier Maciel will begin shortly. Free stream that looks pretty quality.

:icedit: maybe not right now, another fight is about to happen and dude brought out a :bork: rapper for his entrance.