The NBA Lockout is over Thread. It's a celebration bitches!

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Gregg Popabitch

The NBA Lockout is over Thread. It's a celebration bitches!

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Finally, an offseason thread that finally deserves to be stickied.
Last edited by Gregg Popabitch on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gregg Popabitch

Rumors:

-If the T-wolves get the #1 overall pick, word is that Kahn would rather trade it instead of drafting Irving just so Rubio would feel good about coming over.

-According to a report on ESPN, the short list of teams that Dwight Howard wants to be traded to is the Lakers, Nets, Mavericks, and Knicks. I have to ask myself.....where the fuck is Chicago and the Clippers on this list? Doesn't combining forces with Rose appeal to Dwight? How about a Dwight and Blake frontline?!?!

Gregg Popabitch

Gregg Popabitch wrote:According to a report on ESPN, the short list of teams that Dwight Howard wants to be traded to is the Lakers, Nets, Mavericks, and Knicks. I have to ask myself.....where the fuck is Chicago and the Clippers on this list? Doesn't combining forces with Rose appeal to Dwight? How about a Dwight and Blake frontline?!?!
As a Knicks fan, I would love for them to be in the hunt but I don't know how it'd be possible without including either Melo or Amar'e. Even then, is it enough? Just to make sure, I have the upperhand over the other teams, I'd be willing to take on Arenas' or Hedo's contract back in return as well. Ughhhhh, I can't believe I just said that.

and yes, I just quoted myself and essentially just talking to myself.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Not sure how accurate the reports are but surprised OKC is not in the running.

I also would be surprised to see him traded earlier than a week before the deadline if at all.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:I'd be willing to take on Arenas' or Hedo's contract back in return as well. Ughhhhh, I can't believe I just said that.
Shamefully, I've thought the same exact thing myself.

But that's how influential/important a player Dwight is.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:Rumors:

-If the T-wolves get the #1 overall pick, word is that Kahn would rather trade it instead of drafting Irving just so Rubio would feel good about coming over.

-According to a report on ESPN, the short list of teams that Dwight Howard wants to be traded to is the Lakers, Nets, Mavericks, and Knicks. I have to ask myself.....where the fuck is Chicago and the Clippers on this list? Doesn't combining forces with Rose appeal to Dwight? How about a Dwight and Blake frontline?!?!
seriously fuck Kahn

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

eternalreflection wrote:

seriously fuck Kahn

:thebest:

if we dont get rubio the wolves should go after Eric Maynor

:rockout:
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:According to a report on ESPN, the short list of teams that Dwight Howard wants to be traded to is the Lakers, Nets, Mavericks, and Knicks. I have to ask myself.....where the fuck is Chicago and the Clippers on this list? Doesn't combining forces with Rose appeal to Dwight? How about a Dwight and Blake frontline?!?!
As a Knicks fan, I would love for them to be in the hunt but I don't know how it'd be possible without including either Melo or Amar'e. Even then, is it enough? Just to make sure, I have the upperhand over the other teams, I'd be willing to take on Arenas' or Hedo's contract back in return as well. Ughhhhh, I can't believe I just said that.

and yes, I just quoted myself and essentially just talking to myself.
I agree with this

wheels

Post by wheels »

Until Dwight says he's only considering those four teams I wouldn't rule out anyone who has a legitimate chance to get him. Chicago would seem to have the pieces in place to take a stab.

an-also

Post by an-also »

Raptors will win the draft lottery...and then proceed to draft Donatas Motiejunas first overall.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

ImageImage

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

I tried looking and nowhere can I find a new "wizard" logo. It's just a bunch of homoerotic Wash DC stuff like a hang grabbing a ball and penis monument.

Just change it back to Bullets and stop fucking around. I don't care if it takes 3 years, this is stupid.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

T Rav

Post by T Rav »

Dwight on the Mavs. :gyeah: Even though Chandler has been awesome.
Buy my mixtape.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

[quote]LAS VEGAS -- They say that what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

Well, I'm about to spill a few draft secrets from Sin City.

I spent the last two days with trainer Joe Abunassar, of Impact Basketball in Vegas, looking at a number of first-round prospects.

Abunassar has a great track record with clients like Kevin Garnett, Chauncey Billups, Danny Granger, Rudy Gay and many others. Once again this year he has a whopping 20-plus prospects in his gym preparing for the draft.

Here are five things I learned:

1. Kawhi Leonard is a big-time prospect

The San Diego State forward remains a bit of an enigma to NBA scouts. He ranked as just the 56th-best high school prospect in the class of 2009 by ESPNU and didn't really come on until his senior year in high school.

As a freshman he drew raves for his athletic ability, motor and rebounding, but scouts struggled to see exactly how he fit at the next level. Last season he helped lead the Aztecs to one of the best records in college basketball and drew serious attention from scouts. But after the season, the NBA was still largely split on what his pro potential was.

While we had Leonard in the top 14 of our Big Board most of the year, a number of NBA executives were much more pessimistic about his future. They pointed to his "tweener" status and subpar perimeter shooting as concerns. A few weeks ago, one GM told me he thought Leonard was, at best, a role player at the next level.

I respectfully disagree, as do a handful of NBA execs and scouts. I was blown away by Leonard at the workouts. Not only is his physical profile impressive (huge hands, long wing span, NBA body), but also he's much more skilled than your typical high-energy forward.

Leonard has been working on his jump shot since the season ended and was stroking it from NBA 3-point range the two days I was in the gym. And he demonstrated excellent ball-handling skills for a player his size -- both are prerequisites for an NBA small forward. He also has the ability to guard the 2, 3 and 4 at the next level.

Leonard proved to be a real gym rat as well. He was the first guy in the gym and the last one to leave both days I was there. On Tuesday I arrived at 9 a.m. and left at 5:30 -- Leonard was there the whole time working on various things; he must have shot 1,000 jumpers.

I've been trying to find a good NBA comp for him all year, and I think the best may be the Blazers' Gerald Wallace. Leonard has the same type of motor and toughness and is more skilled than you think. If he keeps shooting the ball like he did Tuesday and Wednesday, I believe he could end up being a top-5 pick in the draft. We've moved him up to No. 5 on our Big Board after seeing what he brings to the table.

He may not be a superstar at the next level, but it's hard to figure how he misses as a 10-year NBA player with that work ethic, physical profile and motor.

2. Malcolm Lee could continue UCLA's hot streak in the NBA

What do Russell Westbrook, Jrue Holiday, Darren Collison and Arron Afflalo have in common? They were UCLA guards who didn't appear to be great NBA prospects at first glance (Westbrook may have been the exception, but not for everyone) who have gone on to have excellent careers in the NBA. All four were starters on playoff teams this season despite their youth.

Here's a prediction: Lee will continue that hot streak for UCLA. Lee was a top-rated prospect coming out of high school but struggled to dominate in college. While he's earned a rep as an elite perimeter defender, his offensive game has been a work in progress.

What I saw Tuesday and Wednesday really impressed me. He's long, explosive athletically, very quick laterally and made a lot of very good decisions with the ball in three-on-three play. His jump shot is still coming along but the rest of the game looked to be there. The NBA loves big point guards and I think Lee will ultimately be a point guard in the league. I could see him sneaking into the first round and possibly even challenging Darius Morris. Morris is more of a pure point, but Lee is a significantly better athlete.

3. Maryland's Jordan Williams has transformed his body

Williams was one of the best rebounders in college basketball last season -- but he was a bit on the flabby side. He showed strength and toughness in the paint, but his lack of explosive leaping ability and conditioning were major issues.

Williams heard that feedback loud and clear from NBA scouts when he decided to leave school and he's spent the past six weeks in Vegas working on his body. The results are pretty impressive, as you can see here in this photo I tweeted Tuesday.

He's lost 10 pounds, dropped from 13 percent body fat to 8 percent and really hasn't lost any strength but has gained quickness, explosiveness and agility in the process. He's also improved his jump shot over the course of the past six weeks as well.

Williams might be slightly undersized for a center (he measured 6-8 3/4 in socks, 6-10 in shoes at Impact), but he's got a 6-11

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Breeze and myself both made the Wallace comparison at different times last season. I like him, I think he is a safe pick, there is no way in hell I would draft in the top 5.

Malcolm Lee is Malcolm Lee.

Jordan Williams has decent skills, but I wouldn't give him a guaranteed contract. Sorry.

If Jon Diebler gets drafted, I'm going to kill myself.

Kid That's Lifeless

Hit submit before commenting on Pullen. No idea who I'd compare him to. Earl Watson, maybe?

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Pullen is no Earl Watson. That would be too much of a compliment

Pullen is ODB, because there is no father to his style.

craig

Post by craig »

What do you think of the Lakers interest in Adelman Breeze? Are there any other candidates that you prefer?

Kid That's Lifeless

Big Breeze wrote:Pullen is no Earl Watson. That would be too much of a compliment

Pullen is ODB, because there is no father to his style.
:lol: word. Comparison was made after a few beers and I couldn't think of anything else.

Gregg Popabitch

I love the hell out of kawhli leonard but top 5 pick is crazy. When i first saw his hands and wingspan, i fell in love.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

craig wrote:What do you think of the Lakers interest in Adelman Breeze? Are there any other candidates that you prefer?
I could invite this hire. Adelman is from the the LA area and he's a proven winner.

B Shaw maybe in over his head if he takes the Laker job as his first job. He's from Oakland and the Lakers gave him permission to talk to the Dubs for their opening. That might be better for him if he can cut his teeth there before a big job opens up again.

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

Doc Rivers resigns with the Celtics for 5 years. Very surprised. Hopefully they can get Austin Rivers too.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Adelman Breeze is a pretty cool name.

T Rav

Post by T Rav »

Positive A wrote:Adelman Breeze is a pretty cool name.
Hahaha. I was thinking the same thing.
Buy my mixtape.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:When i first saw his hands and wingspan, i fell in love.
:pause:

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Ricky Rubio on Hoopsworld
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=19789

By, Yannis Koutroupis

For two years the Minnesota Timberwolves have been very patient and committed in their pursuit of Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio, who they selected fifth overall in the 2009 NBA Draft. They've passed on trade offers for his draft rights, having faith that he would eventually sign with them. Finally, the wait is almost over.

According to sources the Timberwolves are as optimistic as they've ever been that Rubio will be joining them for the 2011-2012 season. Signing Rubio this offseason has been Timberwolves President of Basketball Operations David Kahn's plan for over a year and he's on the verge of seeing it through. Nothing is signed or finalized yet, but it should be in the coming weeks.

The 20-year-old Rubio has been widely regarded as one of the top point guard prospects in the world for over three years. At 6'4 Rubio possesses phenomenal court vision and creativeness that has drawn comparisons to Phoenix Suns point guard Steve Nash and former NBA star Pete Maravich.

When the Timberwolves originally drafted Rubio he played for DKV Joventut. That same summer Regal Barcelona paid his lofty buyout in its entirety, something that the Timberwolves couldn't do due to restrictions in the current Collective Bargaining Agreement, and signed him to a multiyear contract. The first year of that contract with Barcelona did not have a buyout option, but now he can get out of it for reportedly $1 million or slightly more, which the Timberwolves can pay $500,000 of.

Rubio's development hasn't progressed at the rate that many were expecting it to with Barcelona. In fact, some say he's regressed. His 2010-2011 averages of six points, three rebounds and three assists on 39% shooting from the field and 22% from beyond the arc aren't exactly impressive. That hasn't reduced the Timberwolves' interest in him at all, though.

They believe that his game is better fit for the NBA, where defenders aren't allowed to be as physical on the perimeter as they are overseas, and that he's still very far from peaking. He'll be surrounded by some solid offensive weapons in All-Star Kevin Love, Michael Beasley, Wesley Johnson, Martell Webster, Anthony Randolph and Wayne Ellington, who will all greatly benefit from his playmaking abilities. The Timberwolves were ranked 25th in assists per game as a team last season. His jump shot definitely needs to improve, but Rubio's biggest challenge in the NBA will be on the defensive end where he'll be facing tough matchups on a nightly basis.

If Rubio does indeed sign as expected, point guard Jonny Flynn's days in Minnesota are numbered. Sources also indicated to HOOPSWORLD that Flynn is almost sure to be traded in that case with the Toronto Raptors being one of the most probable destinations.
There could be some competition for his services as the Charlotte Bobcats and Detroit Pistons could also use some help at the lead guard spot. Flynn is a first-class individual with incredible character, but he hasn't produced as hoped in Minnesota and Rubio's arrival makes him expendable. At the age of 22 he still has some upside and his price tag is not very high at all.

Where Rubio makes things really interesting is in this year's draft. The Timberwolves have the best chance statistically to win the lottery. However, this is being projected as one of the weaker draft classes in the last few years. It's really lacking in star power and there are only two players that really warrant consideration for the top selection: Duke point guard Kyrie Irving and Arizona forward Derrick Williams.

If they win the lottery, the Timberwolves aren't going to draft Irving right after ending a two-year quest to sign Rubio. Williams is an intriguing player with nice versatility, but ideally what they would like to do with the pick is trade it. After winning only 32 games combined over the last two years there is a demand to start winning a lot more regularly from the fan base and ownership.

They've been rebuilding for several years now and there is no lack of young talent on the roster. The need for proven veterans is far more pressing than another high draft pick who would come in with a lot of pressure to be a major contributor immediately. The pick will be shoped heavily whether they win the lottery or not. Amongst the things the Timberwolves would be looking for in a deal for their top first round pick would be an experienced point guard to mentor Rubio and an upgrade at the center position.

Yannis Koutroupis is a senior NCAA and NBA analyst for HOOPSWORLD. You can follow him on twitter.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

good Flynn was the worst PG in the league

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

eternalreflection wrote:good Flynn was the worst PG in the league
it's hard to get assists when nobody around you can make shots

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Flynn's issues were a lot deeper then just getting assist #'s.

However, before I completely give up on him, maybe he plays decently off the bench on an uptempo Raptor team??

Toronto is close to his home town, maybe he thrives in that sort of situation?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Positive A wrote:Flynn's issues were a lot deeper then just getting assist #'s.

However, before I completely give up on him, maybe he plays decently off the bench on an uptempo Raptor team??

Toronto is close to his home town, maybe he thrives in that sort of situation?
apparently he only thrives in triple over time situations

the lottery is tuesday, i wonder which big market team will get the nod this year?