Who was the biggest winner in the 2011 NBA Draft?

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Who had the best draft day?

Charlotte Bobcats
5%
Cleveland Cavs
14%
Dallas Mavericks
5%
Denver Nuggets
5%
Detroit Pistons
5%
Indiana Pacers
No votes
Milwaukee Bucks
9%
Minnesota Timberwolves
9%
New Jersey Nets
No votes
San Antonio Spurs
5%
Sacramento Kings
5%
Utah Jazz
27%
Washington Wizards
14%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 22

Gregg Popabitch

Who was the biggest winner in the 2011 NBA Draft?

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Charlotte Bobcats - Acquired Bismack Biyombo, Kemba Walker, and Corey Maggette with the 7th pick, 9th pick, and by trading away Stephen Jackson.

Cleveland Cavaliers - Acquired Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson with the 1st and 4th picks.

Dallas Mavericks - Acquired Rudy Fernandez by trading away the 26th pick.

Denver Nuggets - Acquired Kenneth Faried, Jordan Hamilton, and Andre Miller with the 22nd pick and by trading away Raymond Felton.

Detroit Pistons - Acquired Brandon Knight, Kyle Singler, and Vernon Macklin with the 8th, 33rd, and 52nd picks.

Indiana Pacers - Acquired George Hill in a trade for the rights to Kawhi Leonard and Davis Bertans

Milwaukee Bucks - Acquired Stephen Jackson, Beno Udrih, Tobias Harris, and Jon Leuer by trading away Stephen Jackson and using the 19th and 40th picks.

Minnesota Timberwolves - Acquired Derrick Williams, a future Memphis first rounder, Brad Miller's rotting corpse, and Malcolm Lee with the 1st pick and constantly trading back in the draft.

New Jersey Nets - Acquired Marshon Brooks, Bogan Bogdanovic, and Jordan Williams with the 25th, 31st, and 36th picks.

San Antonio Spurs - Acquired Kawhi Leonard, Davis Bertans, Corey Joseph by trading away George Hill and by using their 29th pick.

Sacramento Kings - Acquired Jimmer Fredette and Tyler Honeycutt with the 10th and 35th picks.

Utah Jazz- Acquired Enes Kanter with the 3rd pick and Alec Burks with the 12th pick.

Washington Wizards - Acquired Jan Vessly and Chris Singleton with the 6th and 18th picks.

wheels

Post by wheels »

Either the jazz or the pistons.

Voted Detroit

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

I thought that Cleveland came out pretty good.

wheels

Post by wheels »

I don't like the Tristan Thompson pick at all.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Voted Utah, almost voted Washington.

VideoKilledThe

Re: Who was the biggest winner in the 2011 NBA Draft?

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:Washington Wizards - Acquired Jan Vessly and Chris Singleton with the 6th and 18th picks.
Plus the Wizards got Shelvin Mack in the 2nd rd.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

wheels wrote:I don't like the Tristan Thompson pick at all.
Samesies.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Any answer other than Washington or Utah is perplexing, and any answer other than Washington, Utah, or San Antonio is just wrong.

Bobcats are a giant question mark at the moment that could go drastically either way.

Dallas made a smart move, but I wouldn't call them big winners.

LOL @ Brad Miller's corpse.

Went with Washington because I trust Wall to utilize talent better than Devin Harris.

Kid That's Lifeless

Positive A wrote:
wheels wrote:I don't like the Tristan Thompson pick at all.
Samesies.
Later lottery, I'd dig it, but at 4th overall I cannot cosign the pick.

Kid That's Lifeless

Are we going to have biggest loser of the draft poll?

Gregg Popabitch

probably. I'm going poll crazy until I get fully immersed in the baseball season.

Steve Lurkel

Post by Steve Lurkel »

Went with the Jazz. Although i'm not sure what Kanter can do, he's apparently impressed coach Cal enough, and i think burks is a great pick.

As for washington, i've seen vesely play a couple times and to be honest, he doesn't do much offensively besides being able to dunk. His shooting is horrid. He could be the worst shooting SF in the league. Defensively he looks pretty solid but he's not playing against the athleticism he'll see in the NBA.

you gotta say dallas did great too, Rudy Fernandez is way better than anyone that they could've got at 26 in this draft.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Utah Jazz.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

the knicks
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

Steve Lurkel wrote:Went with the Jazz. Although i'm not sure what Kanter can do, he's apparently impressed coach Cal enough, and i think burks is a great pick.

As for washington, i've seen vesely play a couple times and to be honest, he doesn't do much offensively besides being able to dunk. His shooting is horrid. He could be the worst shooting SF in the league. Defensively he looks pretty solid but he's not playing against the athleticism he'll see in the NBA.

you gotta say dallas did great too, Rudy Fernandez is way better than anyone that they could've got at 26 in this draft.
Rudy Fernandez is an awful. I have no idea how he gets minutes in the NBA. Hes a shooter that can't shoot. last year he shot 37 percent from the field and 32 percent from 3 point land. Can't play defense either.

Gregg Popabitch

Fernandez is good. He just needs to be in the right offense. He had a flukey year with his 3 point shot. He's not that bad. Where he falls into trouble is his shots outside of the paint and inside the 3 point line. He's a horrid shooter in the mid range area. In dallas, he won't be put in these situations too often.

He may not be a good indvidual defender but in dallas, that doesn't matter as much considering they employ the zone more then any other team in the league.

Also, he's a very capable playmaker out of the SG slot in the NBA. He's a good decision maker out of the pick and roll and he is a top 5 SG when it comes to throwing up a lob pass. In fact, I'm kinda curious with how efficient Portland's offense will be next year considering they were probably the best team in terms of getting points off lob passes last year. Andre Miller and Rudy Fernandez are two sick lob passers and both have been jettisoned.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

I agree with Steve Lurkel, I thought Rudy was a great pick up for the Mavs, another shooter coming off the bench for them.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Steve Lurkel wrote:you gotta say dallas did great too, Rudy Fernandez is way better than anyone that they could've got at 26 in this draft.
I can't agree with this at all. Jordan Hamilton is who Dallas picked at #26 and I guarantee you that he'll have a better NBA career than Rudy Fernandez. Dallas probably picked him knowing that they would flip him because he was the best player on the board and they had a shitload of SF's on their roster.

Fernandez will still have to fight to get minutes on a yet to be determined roster. There are players that have the potential to keep him glued to the bench if they return to the Mavs. Word.

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:Fernandez is good. He just needs to be in the right offense. He had a flukey year with his 3 point shot. He's not that bad. Where he falls into trouble is his shots outside of the paint and inside the 3 point line. He's a horrid shooter in the mid range area. In dallas, he won't be put in these situations too often.

He may not be a good indvidual defender but in dallas, that doesn't matter as much considering they employ the zone more then any other team in the league.

Also, he's a very capable playmaker out of the SG slot in the NBA. He's a good decision maker out of the pick and roll and he is a top 5 SG when it comes to throwing up a lob pass. In fact, I'm kinda curious with how efficient Portland's offense will be next year considering they were probably the best team in terms of getting points off lob passes last year. Andre Miller and Rudy Fernandez are two sick lob passers and both have been jettisoned.
He shot 38 percent from the field the year before and 37 percent from 3 land. He reminds me of sasha vuvjic.

Gregg Popabitch

Would Breeze or Jazz be willing to make a small wager on whether he surpasses his totals in wins produced, +/- or PER with Jazz or Breeze from last season to the next?

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Knicks
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Steve Lurkel

Post by Steve Lurkel »

i was going to defend rudy but pop basically made the points i was going to bring up...

also i do not think jordan hamilton will have a good career. he doesn't impress me.

Kid That's Lifeless

Jordan Hamilton >>> Marshon Brooks.

Gregg Popabitch

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:Jordan Hamilton >>> Marshon Brooks.
I agree with this but they both have extremely bad shot selections.

the difference is that Marshon didn't play with good offensive talent and Jordan Hamilton did.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:Would Breeze or Jazz be willing to make a small wager on whether he surpasses his totals in wins produced, +/- or PER with Jazz or Breeze from last season to the next?
I'm not too interested in this wager or any wager of any kind on Rudy Fernandez.

I think that Fernandez's window is closing on his ability to get better in the NBA. He's 26 now and has been a career backup in the NBA so far. If he does get the opportunity to start in Dallas, which is a huge if, Jason Terry finishes the games at the SG position. At best he scores in the low teens in about 30+ minutes a game. Rudy may fancy himself as a passer at times, but his overall impact on the game is minimal. I don't think he's garbage, but I don't think he's an important difference maker in the scheme of things. If it doesn't work out with Dallas in the last year of his current deal, Rudy may want to head back to Spain and be the man over there. It's definitely not going to happen here.

Jordan Hamilton on the other hand has been a proven scorer since as far as I can remember. I'm biased towards Hamilton because I've watched him play since high school. Hamilton is only 20 and should have a Paul Pierce sized chip on his shoulder for being picked so low. He has a couple of issues that may have contributed to him being picked low, but he's a great talent and I've repeated several times that he is capable of scoring 20 ppg because he already has an NBA styled game. Best case scenario for Hamilton's career is the man I mentioned a second ago in Paul Pierce. Worst case? Ricky Davis.

There is a strong possibility that Wilson Chandler won't be brought back with the Nuggets and that should free up minutes for Hamilton to contribute behind Gallinari. Because of Hamilton's confidence in his ability, don't expect him to play a secondary role over the course of his career. He will annoit his self to alpha dog status on a team or he will die trying. Ain't no middle ground. That could be to his betterment or detriment. Only time will tell. Out.
Last edited by Big Breeze on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Popabitch

He better learn the difference between a good shot and a bad one otherwise his fall on draft night will be one that he deserved. There is no reason someone with his scoring and shooting skill set should be only making 44%.

I liked both Texas dudes coming out of college. I liked Hamilton more then Tristan (even though mostly everyone liked them the other way around) mainly because I feel like Hamilton has the better scoring potential.

I feel like everyone is down on Tristan but if he was picked between 8th and 15, no one would be complaining. The cavs reached but I think he'll still be solid.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:I feel like everyone is down on Tristan but if he was picked between 8th and 15, no one would be complaining. The cavs reached but I think he'll still be solid.
I feel that.

Personally, he wouldn't have been on my big board if I was the Cavs because I'm not a fan of his height or his ability to fill out.. He's slightly under 6-9 which is too short for a PF at #4 unless you are an elite talent like Charles Barkley or Larry Johnson. Yes he has long arms and reach which make up for the lack of height, but it's much more difficult to beat 6-10 or 6-11 than it is to beat 6-9 (barely).

I question how Thompson will transition offensively to the NBA. If he's fouled, good luck. He's one of the worst free throw shooters I've ever seen in my life. When he shot free throws in high school and in college, I cringed. I'm serious too. Homie threw up so many bricks that you would have to try very hard to duplicate the assortment of misdirections that they took off the backboard and rim.

Everything is to the left with him and with hard work, maybe he can have a plethora of moves with either hand. For right now, it's all about a lefty hook or turnaround. His defense is way ahead of his offense right now, but I'm not too sure his offense will ever justify his lofty selection as a #4 pick in the draft. I'm also not sure if his defense will be much of a factor at first while he's finding his way in the league, because big man usually struggle in all phases when the arrive.

This may sound contradictory, but I would have drafted Bismack Byambo with the 4th pick. I could care less about that workout he had in Europe that supposedly dropped his draft status. He's a bigger, faster, nastier, stronger, more athletic version of Thompson, but his defensive skills are sick and will translate right away. I saw him play in the Nike Hoop Summit against the great US squad who will be in the draft next year. He's already a pro against Euroleague comp and has been holding his own. He may be waste management in terms of shooting right now, but he doesn't have to touch the ball on offense a la Ben Wallace.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

can't wait to watch tristan thompson shoot a big free throw late in a close game

lolz will be had
Nets 2022

stilltown

Post by stilltown »

Rudy Fernandez for the 26th pick was a great move for Dallas. Will keep them in contention for another 2 - 3 years.

Serbiak

Post by Serbiak »

prolly Utah