Randy Moss Retires

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

The Rapping Coffin

Randy Moss Retires

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

This is one of those Iverson retirements. A player doesn't want to accept diminished role/contract and retires. He'll probably try to get a spot on a team after "retirement" humbles him a little.

Having said that, let's pay respect to the 2nd best receiver of all time.

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGNPgvtju6o?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGNPgvtju6o?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Straight Cash Homey

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

is it not fair to say he's the best raw talent wide receiver of all time to the point that at his absolute peak one could argue he was better than rice at his peak?

or am i blaspheming...and popeye and video gonna run up in here and get all hyphy on my ass
Nets 2022

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

sad day.
He is my favorite football player of all time

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

I have no doubt in my mind he will play in the NFL again...

The Rapping Coffin

Reason wrote:is it not fair to say he's the best raw talent wide receiver of all time to the point that at his absolute peak one could argue he was better than rice at his peak?

or am i blaspheming...and popeye and video gonna run up in here and get all hyphy on my ass
I agree with this. Rice had Montana and Young as his QBs, and Moss played with Kerry Collins, Jeff George, Randal Cunningham, Gus Ferotte and Andrew Walter.

Look at what Randy was able to do in 2007 when he finally got to play with a quarterback with the talent to match his own.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Moss had the talent but his reluctance to go over the middle is what held him back from GOAT status.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Reason wrote:is it not fair to say he's the best raw talent wide receiver of all time to the point that at his absolute peak one could argue he was better than rice at his peak?

At Moss's peak he demanded double coverage on every play and triple teams on many plays. Rice even at his peak never had the amount of double and triple coverage. Rice was a better Receiver but you can make a soild case that Moss was a more important cog to the offense because of this.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:Moss had the talent but his reluctance to go over the middle is what held him back from GOAT status.

and that is why owens > moss

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:Moss had the talent but his reluctance to go over the middle is what held him back from GOAT status.
This
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Trub320

Post by Trub320 »

ThaJim2 wrote:

At Moss's peak he demanded double coverage on every play and triple teams on many plays. Rice even at his peak never had the amount of double and triple coverage. Rice was a better Receiver but you can make a soild case that Moss was a more important cog to the offense because of this.
Key part of the greatest offenses in NFL history. The two teams combined went 31-1. If that kicker hits that kick or Asante Samuels makes that pick, He has 2 rings.

Gregg Popabitch

18-1

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:

and that is why owens > moss
Wait, what?

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Oh, you absolutely won't get any complaint from me.

As individual players all of the 49ers greats from that era are hugely overrated.

People forget that these guys were the first people to play within a scheme that revolutionized the next 25 years of professional football. I love the dog shit out of Jerry Rice, but put him on another team and he's Cris Carter with some upside (and that's not a dig at Carter). The same goes for Montana, Young, Jones, Craig, Taylor, Clark, Waters, etc. It is the way it is.

People also forget that the 9ers really existed as a force before the salary cap, and were basically renting a pro-bowl defense from year to year (a new revolutionary offensive scheme meant we were fine on the offensive side of the ball, but Walsh didn't have any revolutions for playing defense, so we just bought one).

In order of importance in that era:

1) Installation of the WCO
2) No salary cap
3) Eddie D. being Mark Cuban before Mark Cuban
3) Two good draft classes
4) The talent of individual players on the offensive side of the ball.

Randy Moss, despite being a bitch, definitely had the most raw talent of any WR. I don't think it's even really up for debate.
Last edited by PopeyeJones on Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Rapping Coffin

Gregg Popabitch wrote:18-1
I have a tougher time with this now than in the 12 months that followed it. I wrongly assumed that the Giants were going to be like the Pats after 01 and turn into a great team, but the Giants ended up fizzling and turning into a one and done team. That win looks more fluky by the year.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

The Rapping Coffin wrote:
I have a tougher time with this now than in the 12 months that followed it. I wrongly assumed that the Giants were going to be like the Pats after 01 and turn into a great team, but the Giants ended up fizzling and turning into a one and done team. That win looks more fluky by the year.
:lol:

can't wait for popabitch's response to this.

OMNI VS. POPABITCH.

ONE MAN IS WHITE. ONE MAN IS BROWN.

ONE MAN IS FROM THE NEW ENGLAND AREA AND IS A BOSTON RED SOX AND PATRIOTS FAN. ONE MAN IS FROM THE NEW YORK AREA AND IS A YANKEE AND GIANTS FAN.

ONLY ONE MAN WILL SURVIVE THIS BATTLE...

CY VOGELSONG
Nets 2022

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Eli Manning

The Rapping Coffin

The Giants game winning drive was basically a Mr Magoo cartoon.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

:rofl:
Nets 2022

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Rice = GOAT
Moss = GOAT jr.

Gregg Popabitch

You want to talk about flukes?

Tom Brady never threw 50 TDs in a season ever again. Not surprised after the good old fashioned NFC East beating he took in that game. He probably had daymares of Tuck, Strahan, and Osi during that game against the Chiefs.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

missed popeye's post before but :cheers:

word to being the preeminent wco
Nets 2022

Gregg Popabitch

You SHOULD have a tough time with this.

2007 New England Patriots = The Greatest team to Never Win.

Gregg Popabitch

PopeyeJones wrote:
Eli Manning
Would've never happened if Alexis Smith was under under Shaun O'Hara in that game.

Hey, Eli is definitely not a top 5 QB and never has been. However, I am confident in him in him going into every game and feel he is deserving of the back end of the top 10 of NFL QBs.

Gregg Popabitch

The Rapping Coffin wrote:The Giants game winning drive was basically a Mr Magoo cartoon.
The Asante Samuel non interception was basically a butterfinger commercial.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

cris carter is the better receiver
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

capable_keL wrote:cris carter is the better receiver
GTFOH.

A) He was an Iggle
B) He is practically my neighbor
C) He mentored Moss
D) Moss lives in Boca too

I am not bias but Moss was on another level.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

personal feelings aside

i love moss, duh

but... carter did more for longer with less talent. moss had more talent but just stopped going across the middle, alligator arms, avoided contact

for me

rice
carter
moss
bambi

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Carter's best years came in Minn, much like Moss. The difference is Moss would be double covered most of his career, where as Carter didn't nearly demand that much coverage. Also, Moss helped Carter's numbers dramatically, much like he did Wes Welker.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

meh, he wasn't an all around receiver but that doesn't mean he can't be GOAT, Rice's absurd longevity is what puts him over the top, the peaks are similar

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Most hated player in recent memory. Give me Tim Brown or Sterling Sharpe any day. Shit, given the choice i would rather have the Ambiguously Gay Duo of Herman Moore and Johnny Morton over Moss. Fuck this redneck pussy.