***NFC North Thread***

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

we should watch the pro bowl together and use it as a vehicle of closure

we are the norf

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

hah, jared allen acts like you do around here, kel, antagonistic as hell..."how'd that super bowl run work out for ya?" "i might go back to the afc, 8 sacks get you to the pro bowl over there". we got jokes!

i seriously wouldn't be surprised to learn clay matthews got a 14 on his ACT.

i was just talking about the pro bowl last night, i never watch it. might this year?

good to see our thread revived.
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

an-also

Post by an-also »

Pro bowl would be a lot mOre watchable if it was a skills competition.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

now that the dust has settled and i look back at the season.. wtf happened to capers? he went from being the next buddy ryan to heading up one of the worst statistical defenses in history. sure there were a lot of takeaways.. but you cant tell me that the loss of one interior lineman neutralizes clay and the whole scheme.

how will the pack ever stop justin blackmon?

ponder will be busting discount double checks all over the league

an-also

Post by an-also »

Kel, peep this stat. Last year Cullen Jenkins had something like 34 qb pressures. This year the pack as a whole had 35 total or something. Apparently Jenkins was that inportant. Capers was forced to blitz a lot more this year and that forced the db's on islands.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

:ohsh:

mind blowing... but i would have trusted the pack to insert some guy i've never heard of and be okay

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

apparently wasn't and isn't going to be Mike Neal.
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-is-over/
Report: Many in Lions organization fear that Jahvid Bestג€™s career is over
Posted by Mike Florio

Lions running back Jahvid Best last played football on October 16, 2011. Some within the organization reportedly fear that will be the last time he ever plays.

Best has a history of concussions. And while some teams had him completely off the draft board in 2010, the Lions traded back into the bottom of round one to get him. It was a calculated risk, with a definite potential reward.

Bestג€™s most recent concussion ended his season, only six days after he rushed for a career-high 163 yards in the teamג€™s first Monday Night Football appearance since the dawn of the Millen era. And while Best has said heג€™ll ג€œdefinitelyג€ be back on the field in 2012, Anwar Richardson of MLive.com (via NFL.com) reports that ג€œmany within the organizationג€ are concerned that he may not return, ever.

If that happens, itג€™s unfortunate. But itג€™s not surprising given the leagueג€™s new litigation-influenced sensitivity to concussions. Of all positions, running back is most akin to a giant magnet rolling through a warehouse full of anvils. By virtue of the punishment they routinely absorb, running backs will continue to suffer blows to the head, and every other part of their bodies.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

huge news for Roy: Jerry Angelo is out. Phil Emery is in.

now the bears will actually add receivers to their offense

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

capable_keL wrote:huge news for Roy: Jerry Angelo is out. Phil Emery is in.

It's beautiful. I'm hearing rumors about the Bears going after Dwyane Bowe. There are gonna be some dope guards available when they make their first round pick at #19. I'm assuming that he'll select additional offensive linemen in the middle rounds (something that real GMs do). This could be one hell of an offseason.

A shutdown corner would be nice, but those guys usually go in the top 10, or at least it seems that way.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Roy Johnson wrote:
capable_keL wrote:huge news for Roy: Jerry Angelo is out. Phil Emery is in.

It's beautiful. I'm hearing rumors about the Bears going after Dwyane Bowe. There are gonna be some dope guards available when they make their first round pick at #19. I'm assuming that he'll select additional offensive linemen in the middle rounds (something that real GMs do). This could be one hell of an offseason.
:borksign:

for north guys.... this is some exciting shit: next season, the QB/WR talent in this division will be unconscious

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

capable_keL wrote:next season, the QB/WR talent in this division will be unconscious
very true.

so does this mean you're all about selecting Justin Blackmon?

Cutler/Bowe would be sick.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

again, i haven't got my draft board going. but i'd take Matt Kalil over blackmon

...the vikings will sign vincent jackson, stevie johnson, dewayne bowe, colston, or garcon

i also really like the lsu corner: claiborne

i basically wait for whoever eternalreflection wants and pull for someone else. it always works out

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Aaron Rodgers bummed by NFC's effort
Criticism of the play in Sunday's Pro Bowl reached a new level when Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers blasted the effort of some NFC teammates Tuesday.

"I'll be honest with you," Rodgers said on ESPN 540 in Milwaukee. "I was a little bit disappointed. I felt like some of the guys on the NFC side embarrassed themselves."

The AFC routed the NFC 59-41 in a game that drew boos at Aloha Stadium for its lack of early intensity. Rodgers, who started and played the first quarter for the NFC, didn't name specific players.

"I was just surprised that some of the guys either didn't want to play or when they were in there didn't put any effort into it," Rodgers said.

Avoiding injuries in a meaningless all-star game is a high priority for many players. Rodgers, however, said that playing half-speed isn't the answer.

"I've always found that when you're going that tempo, that's when the injuries are going to happen, not if you're going full speed," Rodgers told ESPN 540. "You're more likely to get an injury standing around a pile or just going through it half-speed."
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

just a bad start to the new year. smh

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

look at that, what a competitor!

an-also

Post by an-also »

Mo Cheeks

Post by Mo Cheeks »

Hoping Vikes take Claiborne, address other needs through F/A

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

(dedicated to my homie AA)
Mark Murphy Rising Power in the NFL

Mark Murphy now appointed to the esteemed Competition Committee.
Serves on the NFLג€™s Management Council Executive Committee.
Last year he was a key negotiator of the new player's CBA.
He remains on the NFL's Youth Football Committee.
He is the only NFL Executive to earn a Super Bowl Ring as a player and as an executive.

Murphy is a powerful and influential man with the NFL. That is very good for the Packers.

Who knows, perhaps someday he will succeed Roger Goodell.

A good read is one of Forbes Magazine's many articles on Murphy and the Packers.
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2011/0926/ ... ovici.html

As traffic logjams on Lombardi Avenue, hundreds of Cheeseheads mill around the Lambeau Field parking lot. It'll be another 58 hours before any Packer players show up, but that doesn't matter. These fans aren't here to see a game, or even a practice. They're here for a financial presentation.

"There's no shareholders' meeting quite like it," says Packers President and CEO Mark Murphy, the star of the show. Today and over the next few days, as the Packer faithful roll into town for the start of training camp, Murphy, a former Pro Bowl player who took over the team's top job in 2007, will try to be everywhere on campus. "With our ownership structure, it's really important for the fans to know they can talk to the president," he says. With some 112,000 shareholders, the Packers are the only publicly owned team in America.

The Green Bay Packers are a financial power in the NFL. Despite their minuscule market, revenues for fiscal 2010 hit a high of $259 million, 9th out of 32 teams and well above major-market franchises like the San Francisco 49ers ($234 million) and the Atlanta Falcons ($233 million). The Packers are regularly one of the 15 teams that pay into the league's reserve fund rather than draw from it (welfare to dog crap teams like the viklings).

They're a high-revenue team with no debt. There are a lot of big-market teams that wish they had that kind of financial situation." says Andrew Brandt, president of the website National Football Post.

Every home game since 1960 has been a sellout, and the waiting list for season tickets is over 88,000 strong. In 2010 the Packers led all NFL teams in merchandise sales, again, and they lead in local per-fan revenue at $312 (the league average is $41). Robust broadcast ratings mean they can charge a premium for local rights to air games: Its deal with radio station WTMJ nets $3.5 million annually, about twice what the Indianapolis Colts or the Buffalo Bills get.

Not that the community-ownership model is without drawbacks. It lacks nimbleness, for one thing. "Sometimes the decision making takes a little longer," says Murphy. "You've got a board structure to work through, whereas if you had a single owner, you could go to the owner and get a decision."

A tall, broad-shouldered 56-year-old, Murphy took over the CEO job and boasts a unique r

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

Packers, Wells likely will part ways wrote:Green Bay - Scott Wells has never taken no for an answer. The odds are he isn't going to now, either.

In so many words, Wells is being told by the Green Bay Packers that he has overvalued himself as an undersized, 31-year-old center no matter how well he has played for them.

Wells basically is telling the team, "Watch what happens."

Looking for a warm and fuzzy resolution to the contractual disagreement between the Packers and their best offensive lineman?

Three weeks before the start of unrestricted free agency, the best guess is the Packers will play with a new center next season.

Many times over the years the Packers have gone right to the free-agency bell before signing important veteran players to long-term deals. This time might be different.

It isn't an issue of cap room. General manager Ted Thompson and negotiator Russ Ball have the financial flexibility to pay Wells the contract commensurate with the five highest-paid centers that he is seeking.

Rather, their offer is the result of how they perceive the market should be and will be for a veteran center.

Agent Brian Parker and Ball surely will talk face to face this week during the NFL Combine in Indianapolis. Each will reiterate his stance and perhaps attempt to lay groundwork for the compromise that would be necessary to keep Wells in Green Bay.

If the Packers have been low-balling Wells, they won't much longer. They'll move to their bottom line, and then Wells will make a decision.

Over the years, the large majority of players want to remain in Green Bay and eventually do. Just as Wells was in the minority making it big as a seventh-round draft choice, he could be in the minority again.

Having dealt with Wells for eight years, this much is true about him: He has a long memory.

Wells hasn't forgotten that the Packers cut him at the end of his first training camp.

More critically, he hasn't forgotten how Mike McCarthy and Thompson cast him aside after three years as their starting center and replaced him with Jason Spitz in 2009.

Sources also said the Packers at the time were looking to trade Wells, an immensely proud player they knew to be furious about his demotion.

Injuries to Spitz and other offensive linemen resulted in Wells being back in the lineup three games into 2009. Still, Wells can wonder where his career would be if Spitz and others had stayed healthy.

Wells responded with his finest season in '09, topped it in '10 and probably was even better yet in '11. Unlike so many of his teammates, Wells wasn't offered an early extension and played for base salaries of $2.25 million in 2010 and $2.75 million last year.

He remembers that, too.

For the first time in his football career, Wells is in charge. He's coming off his first Pro Bowl. His health is robust. And he has the leverage associated with free agency.

A year ago, Wells saw guard Daryn Colledge move to Arizona for $5.5 million a year. Colledge is two years younger than Wells but isn't in his league as a player.

At the same time, Wells took note of the identical five-year, $27.5 million contract that perhaps the best center in free agency, David Baas, received from the New York Giants.

Baas, 29 at the time, isn't nearly as good as Wells, either. But at 6 feet 4 1/2 inches and 330 pounds, Baas is much bigger than Wells (6-2, 300), and bigger almost always is better in the eyes of NFL teams.

Baas presently ranks fifth among centers with an average annual salary of $5.5 million. The top four are Carolina's Ryan Kalil ($8.2M), the Jets' Nick Mangold ($7.7M), St. Louis' Jason Brown ($7.5M) and Tampa Bay's Jeff Faine ($6.3M).

When their blockbuster deals were signed, Brown was 25, Kalil and Mangold were 26 and Faine was 27.

When Wells signed his five-year, $15 million extension in November 2006, he was 25.

After all Wells has gone through in Green Bay, he doesn't figure to give the hometown discount.

Just as being stubborn and tough served Wells so well on the field, look for him to be equally competitive now.

Nine teams besides the Packers have their starting center headed for free agency. It figures to be a game of musical chairs with 13 unrestricted centers jousting for jobs.

"If you needed a center in free agency this year, to me the first one you'd be looking at is Chris Myers," an AFC personnel man said Monday. "Second guy would be (Dan) Koppen. Out of Wells, (Samson) Satele and (Nick) Hardwick, beauty will be in the eye of the beholder. I'd trust Scott Wells the most of those three."

Houston's Myers (6-4 1/2, 296) and San Diego's Hardwick (6-3 1/2, 305) are 30. New England's Koppen (6-2 1/2, 296) is 32. Oakland's Satele (6-2 1/2, 300) is 27.

"You can win with Scott Wells," the scout said. "I just don't think you can with five Scott Wells."

Atlanta and Indianapolis, two teams within a four-hour drive of Wells' home outside Nashville, have a hole at center and could be suitors.

Without Wells, McCarthy would be left with Evan Dietrich-Smith competing against maybe an aging ex-starter obtained in free agency. Wisconsin's Peter Konz, the only top center in the draft, might not be left when the Packers pick at No. 28.

Just because Wells tests the market doesn't mean he won't return. James Jones came back a year ago.

But given all that is Scott Wells, he's probably gone if the Packers haven't signed him by 3 p.m. March 13.

an-also

Post by an-also »

@AdamSchefter
Packers reached agreement with TE Jermichael Finley on a 2-year, $15 million deal.
Tag Flynn? :killacam:

an-also

Post by an-also »

Mike Freeman, CBS Sports wrote:8. I continue to hear from league executives that the Packers might make some sort of big move in the draft.
This goes against what TT usually stands for but I'm all for it.

an-also

Post by an-also »

A "number of NFL sources" tell CSN Chicago that the Bears are considered around the league to be the favorites for free agent Mario Williams as Tuesday's 4PM ET signing period approaches.
Peppers and Williams together?? :owens: :shit:

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

an-also wrote:
A "number of NFL sources" tell CSN Chicago that the Bears are considered around the league to be the favorites for free agent Mario Williams as Tuesday's 4PM ET signing period approaches.
Peppers and Williams together?? :owens: :shit:
Nah, Williams Wall pt. II in Buffalo, nigga.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

capable_keL wrote:Raji: run stuffing machine
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/14 ... ldestfirst
a bit worrisome sure, but i think that's the same statistic you called overrated after an-also posted the article last season about Clay Matthews III's improvement against the run.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

jeff saturday, jarret bush

the pieces are in place

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

On the surface, Hargrove is a curious signing by general manager Ted Thompson because he comes with some baggage and could be in line for a suspension for his role in the Saintsג€™ bounty scandal.

With St. Louis in 2006, he went AWOL for a couple of days and wound up getting shipped to Buffalo. With the Bills, he was suspended for the first four games of the 2007 for a second violation of the NFLג€™s substance-abuse policy. He then sat out the entire 2008 season for a third violation of the substance-abuse policy.

As he told The New York Times before Super Bowl XLIV while a member of the Saints: ג€œI had tried to kill myself a few times, but it had never worked. I was taking sleeping pills and I tried to take a whole bottle of them, but Iג€™d wake up a day and a half later and be like, ג€˜OK, that didnג€™t work.ג€™ And Iג€™d have to go to work weak.ג€

He stopped using marijuana and cocaine and was rewarded with a Super Bowl ring with the Saints in 2009.

Hargrove made headlines again as part of the Saints bounty controversy and his hit on Vikings quarterback Brett Favre in the NFC Championship Game. Hargrove was penalized and fined $5,000 for a late hit on Favre, and according to Sports Illustrated, Hargrove celebrated Favreג€™s ankle injury by saying, ג€œFavre is out of the game! Favre is done! Favre is done!ג€

Hargrove released a statement last week calling the late hit and his comments ג€œmistakes,ג€ and said he received ג€œnothing for the play some keep referencing,ג€ though he did receive a game ball.

The NFL has not suspended any players for the scandal, but itג€™s possible the Packers would not have his services to start the season.

Hargrove, who will turn 29 on July 20, was a third-round pick out of Georgia Tech by St. Louis in 2004
:larry:

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Three weeks into his stint on ג€œDancing with the Stars,ג€ Packers WR Donald Driverג€™s progression as a dancer is mirroring that of his football career. Driver has steadily improved his score each week, going from 21 in week 1, to 24 in week 2, and 26 in Monday nightג€™s show.

Driver turned in an emotional performance, dedicating his rendition of the rumba to a friend lost to cancer in 2010 ג€” the same friend who introduced Driver to his wife, Betina. Driver explained that his friend died in his arms. ג€œI grabbed his hand. All he could do is look at me,ג€ Driver said. ג€œAnd tears rolled down his eyes. He took another breath. And that was it. And I never let him go.ג€

Driver and partner Peta Murgatroyd, the last of 11 duos to perform in Mondayג€™s show, danced to Mariah Careyג€™s ג€œOne Sweet Day.ג€

And what did each judge think of the pairג€™s execution?

ג€œThe passion that you just expressed was mesmerizing,ג€ said Carrie Ann Inaba, who marked Driver and Murgatroyd with a 9. ג€œI was truly touched.ג€

Len Goodman gave the pair an 8, explaining, ג€œI didnג€™t expect such a great, big, hunky-dunky football guy to come out and dance with such warmth and emotion. Awesome.ג€

Judge Bruno Tonioli rounded out the scorecard, telling Driver, ג€œYou push yourself to the limit every time.ג€ Tonioli awarded the Packersג€™ all-time leading receiver with a 9. Driver and Murgatroydג€™s 26 was the 4th-highest score of the evening.

After the dance, Driver gave some simple advice: ג€œYou need to cherish every moment,ג€ Driver said. ג€œLive life to the fullest.ג€
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:It's June, niggas.
Pro Football Weekly just released their season preview magazine.

Predictions:

1. Green Bay 12-4
2. Chicago 10-6
3. Detroit 9-7
4. Minnesota 4-12

Grades:

Green Bay
QB: A
RB: C+
REC: A+
OL: B-
DL: C+
LB: B+
DB: C+
ST: B+

Chicago
QB: B+
RB: A-
REC: B
OL: D
DL: B
LB: B
DB: C
ST: A

Detroit
QB: B+
RB: D
REC: A
OL: C
DL: A-
LB: B-
DB: C
ST: C

Minnesota
QB: D
RB: B+
REC: C
OL: C
DL: C+
LB: D+
DB: C+
ST: C-
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

should we start a new thread? i dont want to lose the hours of packer hate i put into this, but i'll do it again
Hey, by the way who's Curt?