NFL Off Season 2012

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

HomeSkillet wrote:I could see Orakpo and landry both being tossed in.
Landry switching to defensive end?

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

^^ Line backer maybe, he is a nutcase. Needs to get that surgery and work on some extra body fat...

an-also

Post by an-also »

ric

Post by ric »

HomeSkillet wrote:Rex Grossman is a succubus.
:lol:
serious man, remember at the beginning of the season, sporting news was praising grossmans return?

shit is hilarious.

an-also

Post by an-also »

Saints Don't Want To Pay Brees As 'Great' Quarterback
2nd March, 2012 - 6:03 am
Pro Football Talk - According to a report, the Saints want to pay Drew Brees as though he is a very good, but not great quarterback.

New Orleans general manager Mickey Loomis made the distinction between Brees being "very good" and "great" in a recent discussion about the status of the soon-to-be free agent's contract, according to three NFL sources.

The Saints and Brees are believed to be about $5 million a year apart on a new contract.

Read more: http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... z1ny3m9g6a

DLG

Post by DLG »

idiots.

DLG

Post by DLG »

and now this

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/New- ... NFL-030212

New Orleans Saints players and at least one assistant coach maintained a bounty program the last three seasons for inflicting game-ending injuries on opposing players, including Brett Favre and Kurt Warner ג€” a pool that reached as much as $50,000 and paid specific amounts for ''cart-offs'' and ''knockouts,'' the NFL said Friday.

BOUNTY ON WARNER? The former Cardinals QB was injured in a 2010 playoff game against the Saints .
The report said the pool amounts reached their height in 2009, the year the Saints won the Super Bowl.

The league said between 22 and 27 defensive players were involved in the program and that it was administered by defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, with the knowledge of coach Sean Payton.

Williams, who was hired in January as defensive coordinator by new Rams coach Jeff Fisher, released a statement through the Rams admitting guilt.

ג€œI want to express my sincere regret and apology to the NFL, Mr. Benson (Saints owner), and the New Orleans Saints fans for my participation in the ג€˜pay for performanceג€™ program while I was with the Saints," Williams' statement read. "It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it. Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it. I take full responsibility for my role. I am truly sorry. I have learned a hard lesson and I guarantee that I will never participate in or allow this kind of activity to happen again.ג€

No punishments have been handed out, but they could include suspension, fines and loss of draft picks. The league said the findings were corroborated by multiple, independent sources, in an investigation by the league's security department.

''The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just payments for 'performance,' but also for injuring opposing players,'' Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. ''The bounty rule promotes two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity.''

CLEAN IT UP!
You're in for a long day going up against these guys. Meet the 12 dirtiest athletes in sports.
Payoffs included $1,500 for a ''knockout'' and $1,000 for a ''cart-off,'' with payouts doubling or tripling during the playoffs.

''It is our responsibility to protect player safety and the integrity of our game, and this type of conduct will not be tolerated,'' Goodell said. ''We have made significant progress in changing the culture with respect to player safety and we are not going to relent. We have more work to do and we will do it.''

The league absolved Saints owner Tom Benson of any blame, but said the investigation showed Payton and general manager Mickey Loomis knew about the bounty program.

''Although head coach Sean Payton was not a direct participant in the funding or administration of the program, he was aware of the allegations, did not make any detailed inquiry or otherwise seek to learn the facts, and failed to stop the bounty program. He never instructed his assistant coaches or players that a bounty program was improper and could not continue,'' the NFL said.

STARGAZING
Everybody loves the NFL, even celebrities. See A-list actors and recording artists on the sidelines.
When informed about it earlier this year, the NFL said Benson directed Loomis, to ''ensure that any bounty program be discontinued immediately.'' However, the NFL's report said the evidence showed Loomis did not carry out Benson's directions, and that in 2010 Loomis denied any knowledge of a bounty program.

''There is no evidence that Mr. Loomis took any effective action to stop these practices,'' the NFL said.

Benson responded to the NFL's report saying: ''I have been made aware of the NFL's findings relative to the 'Bounty Rule' and how it relates to our club. I have offered and the NFL has received our full cooperation in their investigation. While the findings may be troubling, we look forward to putting this behind us and winning more championships in the future for our fans.''

The NFL began its investigation in early 2010 after receiving allegations that quarterbacks Warner of Arizona and Favre of Minnesota had been targeted. After interviewing several Saints who denied the bounty program existed ג€” and having the player who originally made the allegations recant ג€” the league couldn't prove anything.

See the best New Orleans Saints action, or check out your favorite NFL team here.
However, Goodell said the NFL ''recently received significant and credible new information and the investigation was re-opened during the latter part of the 2011 season.''

Favre's agent, Bus Cook, said he was unaware of the investigation until Friday. He said the Saints should have been penalized for several hard, late hits during the 2009 NFC championship game and that he believed the contact was not coincidental.

''It was pretty obvious that the intent was to take Brett out of the game, and it happened the week before with Kurt Warner, too,'' Cook said. ''I don't know anything about whether it was by design or whatever, but I think a lot of people shared that same viewpoint that there were some hits that didn't get called.''

Cook, however, said Favre never suggested to him he was maliciously targeted.

''That's part of football, getting hit,'' Cook said. ''Brett never complained to me one way or another.''

Responding to a fan's comment on Twitter that - even if the Saints had a bounty program - the playoff hit on Warner was clean, the former Cardinals quarterback messaged back, ''I would have to agree with you!!!''

The National Football League Players Association released a statement about the NFL's findings:

"Health and safety is a paramount issue to the NFLPA. The NFLPA was informed of this investigation by the NFL earlier today and will review the information contained in the leagueג€™s report."

ric

Post by ric »

not really surprised. shit sucks but this kind of thing was just waiting to happen if it hasnt already been around for some years on multiple clubs

an-also

Post by an-also »

Apparently Greg Williams ran the same bounty program when he was a redskins DC. Throw the book at the saints.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

an-also wrote:Throw the book at the saints.
Seriously. Fuck Goodell royally if he continues to note mete out punishment to coaches like he does to players.

In all seriousness, with all the concussion headlines and getting called before congress Goodell is a short-term obsessed fool if he doesn't ban Williams from coaching and suspend Payton for four games-1 year too. Not even fucking around. I'd love for this story to blow up in his face.

ric

Post by ric »

steelers release the following:
farrior, smith, kemoeatu

:owens::owens::owens:
completely understandable but probably gonna be a lot of crying in the next few years.

im waiting to see who they draft. shit is gonna be sick, were actually gonna get semi-decent draft position this year. haha

DLG

Post by DLG »

not sure why the giants believe in domenik hixon so much. dude tears his acl like clockwork it seems.

ric

Post by ric »

heres some more major humble brag shit. just saw it. article isnt 100% good but it drives a nice point home, which also happens to work for my own quiet but vigilant purposes. this is what you get when you hurl unwarranted insults at the most tolerant, nicest, sweetest dude on the :phila: :lol: you get constant argumentation :lol:
Super Bowl Hangover Pt. 2: From Bradying to Welker
Cold, Hard Football Facts for February 17, 2012

By Scott Kacsmar
http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articl ... elker.html

an-also

Post by an-also »

http://cnnsi.com/2012/writers/peter_kin ... =hp_t11_a2

[quote]I keep coming back, over and over, to something I first reported Friday evening, something I saw in a confidential four-page memo sent to the 32 teams (and obtained from one of those teams) late Friday, detailing the abuses.

"At times, players both pledged significant amounts and targeted particular players,'' the memo said. "For example, prior to a Saints playoff game in January 2010, defensive captain Jonathan Vilma offered $10,000 in cash to any player who knocked Favre out of the game.''

Anyone who thinks the Saints defense didn't go over the line to try to do just that wasn't watching the game -- and didn't see the three plays I reviewed over the weekend. Early in the game, Favre handed off to Percy Harvin, and after the handoff -- a handoff, mind you, a running play -- defensive lineman Bobby McCray ran at Favre and hit him flush in the chin. That brought a 15-yard unnecessary roughness flag from referee Pete Morelli and a fine from the league five days later.

In the third quarter, defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove got 15 yards for pile-driving Favre into the ground after a pass. Four plays later, Morelli missed an egregious high-low hit from McCray and tackle Remi Ayodele; maybe Morelli figured he'd just flagged Hargrove and he couldn't throw a flag every time Favre got mugged. "I thought my ankle was broken after that play,'' Favre told me after the game. "I felt a lot of crunching in there.''

That week, McCray got fined a total of $20,000 for two hits -- the hit on Favre's chin and the hit below his knees after he'd released the pass. Hargrove got $5,000 for slamming Favre to the ground.

There are many reasons Roger Goodell has to act decisively here, but I keep coming back to leader-of-the-pack Vilma speaking up in a team meeting, with, I'm assuming, his teammates already at a fever pitch for the biggest game of their lives, and Vilma throwing $10,000 out there if one of them would knock Favre out. By a concussion from nailing him in the chin after a handoff? Fine. From a bruised kidney after pile-driving him into the ground? Fine. With a torn ACL from diving at his exposed knee and lower leg? Fine. Whatever. Just get him out of the game.

No one's na

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

PopeyeJones wrote:
an-also wrote:Throw the book at the saints.
Seriously. Fuck Goodell royally if he continues to note mete out punishment to coaches like he does to players.

In all seriousness, with all the concussion headlines and getting called before congress Goodell is a short-term obsessed fool if he doesn't ban Williams from coaching and suspend Payton for four games-1 year too. Not even fucking around. I'd love for this story to blow up in his face.
:cheers:

Could not agree more. Everyone in Saints managment needs to be hit hard. Williams should be banned from coaching or at least 2 year Pac Man style punishment. Payton like you said 4 games to a year. Both with heavy fines. Benson should be banned from day to day operations for a year including showing up to games or practices etc. The GM and President of Football Operations 6 month bans at least. Each at least 200k fines. The organization as a whole 5 to 10 million.

Also Vilma is a piece of shit human being that has been a dirty player since at least college. Teams need to go after his knees and this is the first time I believe I have ever said this about a player.

ric

Post by ric »

how far do you guys want this to extend?

the cba is done but changes can still be made if the sides agree. ultimately i think thats the best kind of first step in order to curtail this kind of thing (as clearly there is lack of respect and enforceability for the "pay-for-performance" section).

you dont want the saints-williams incidents to go basically uninvestigated but you dont want to turn it into a witchhunt ie sprawled over many teams. it seems like if that happens (which, dont get me wrong, part of me wants to have that happen) but youll get short term, probably impermanent results. whereas if you sit down and contract, at least you have something with multi-lateral legitimacy and force.

i dont know, just some thoughts.

at the same time....in a room full of millionaires how much effect can a $10000 reward really have? it almost seems like its more for the prestige or attention or something.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. Basically it's the offseason and they need to make a story out of something. This is FOOTBALL people, let's stop with the pussification of the league.

I want to see big hits, I want to see defenders going out of their way to hurt the players on the opposing team. Especially in the case of faggoty old Brett Favre, if you know the other team is starting a completely grey haired 40 y/o, and you know they have a laughing stock of a backup, you FUCK HIS SHIT UP.

If anything I like Williams and Vilma more because of this, I want the kind of MLB who will put his own cash on the line to go the extra mile motivating his teammates.

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

Reggie white was notorious for placing bounties on opposing players and George Allen used to do it when he was the head coach of the skins. Its nothing new and I dont care about it but from the NFL legal aspect it has to be dealt with harshly

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports that the Saints will work out free agent Randy Moss on Tuesday.
Profootballtalk.com reported late last week that Moss had one team visit lined up for this week. It was apparently with the Saints. New Orleans, which is in danger of losing free agents Marques Colston and Robert Meachem, also flirted with Moss last fall. Moss only wanted to play for the Patriots and sat out the season. This offseason, Moss should be available for no more than the $3 million Plaxico Burress received from the Jets in 2011.

DLG

Post by DLG »

who goes after Brees if the Saints don't give him what he wants?

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

DLG wrote:who goes after Brees if Saints to give him what he wants?
:bork: in you is showing. I don't see any way he leaves.

DLG

Post by DLG »

:lol: I edited after rereading

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Didn't the WSJ review over 40 games with Williams as D Coordinator of the Saints and come up with only really Ben Harper as a guy who could've collected 4,500 due to players being knocked out of the game due to a hit.
UBM CD COMING SOON

ric

Post by ric »

as of march 2
franchise tag use wrote: Team Franchise tag
Arizona Cardinals DE Calais Campbell
Atlanta Falcons CB Brent Grimes
Baltimore Ravens RB Ray Rice
Buffalo Bills Not applied
Carolina Panthers Not applied
Chicago Bears RB Matt Forte
Cincinnati Bengals K Mike Nugent
Cleveland Browns K Phil Dawson
Dallas Cowboys LB Anthony Spencer
Denver Broncos K Matt Prater
Detroit Lions DE Cliff Avril
Green Bay Packers Not applied
Houston Texans Not applied
Indianapolis Colts DE Robert Mathis
Jacksonville Jaguars K Josh Scobee
Kansas City Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe
Miami Dolphins Not applied
Minnesota Vikings Not applied
New England Patriots WR Wes Welker
New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees*
New York Giants P Steve Weatherford
New York Jets Not applied
Oakland Raiders S Tyvon Branch
Philadelphia Eagles WR DeSean Jackson
Pittsburgh Steelers Not applied
San Diego Chargers Not applied
San Francisco 49ers S Dashon Goldson
Seattle Seahawks Not applied
St. Louis Rams Not applied
Tampa Bay Buccaneers K Connor Barth
Tennessee Titans S Michael Griffin
Washington Redskins TE Fred Davis
teams tagging their kicker, and especially the broncos tagging prater is something i dont quite understand. maybe last year was an off year or something but its a wierd thing to franchise one of the worst kickers by % in the league. maybe the kicker position isnt as easy to fill as one would think? who knows?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... ified=true

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

I love the fact that the Giants tagged Weatherford.

Most of my friends and some of the posters here know about my love for Jeff Feagles. He was one of my favorite giants. I'm a huge believer in field position and Feagles always helped control it.

Weatherford hasn't been as good but he's been excellent in the punter role. He is definitely a player the giants need to bring back.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

VideoKilledThe wrote:Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. Basically it's the offseason and they need to make a story out of something. This is FOOTBALL people, let's stop with the pussification of the league.

I want to see big hits, I want to see defenders going out of their way to hurt the players on the opposing team. Especially in the case of faggoty old Brett Favre, if you know the other team is starting a completely grey haired 40 y/o, and you know they have a laughing stock of a backup, you FUCK HIS SHIT UP.

If anything I like Williams and Vilma more because of this, I want the kind of MLB who will put his own cash on the line to go the extra mile motivating his teammates.

This is about the long term viability of football in america. This is the kind of crap that makes a school board or an insurance company go fuck it we are no longer going to have or cover the sport. The tipping point is a lot closer then just about everyone thinks now. And it will be a death from the bottom up.

Budget cuts and crap like race to the future and NCLB already are putting pressure on HS budgets. Insurance cost are rising fast for schools to cover football. It will not be long before a neurologist will be required on the side line of every game. Add that with recent title 9 rulings and it will be a decision of football only or every other boys sport. On top of that you have more and more parents either not allowing or giving a second or third thought before letting lil johnny play.

Now what do you think a mother that is already thinking twice is going to do when they hear there are bounties in the sport? [/list]

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Source: Colts to release Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning's 14-year career as a member of the Indianapolis Colts is coming to an end.

Sources close to the team told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the announcement will come at a press conference in Indianapolis on Wednesday.

The decision to pass on the $28 million bonus owed Manning and not to pick up the four remaining years on his contract means Manning will become a free agent, and sources say that he intends to continue to play.

The Colts decided not to pick up Manning's option because of concerns they had over his readiness to play in the NFL again.

The four-time league MVP missed the entire 2011 season after having his third neck surgery in 19 months, a fusion of two vertebrae. His doctors have medically cleared him to resume his career.

Manning has broken all of Indianapolis' career records for quarterbacks and had never missed a start before last season. He's taken the Colts to the playoffs 11 times, captured seven AFC South titles in eight years, won two AFC championships, one Super Bowl title and a Super Bowl MVP Award.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:I love the fact that the Giants tagged Weatherford.

Most of my friends and some of the posters here know about my love for Jeff Feagles. He was one of my favorite giants. I'm a huge believer in field position and Feagles always helped control it.

Weatherford hasn't been as good but he's been excellent in the punter role. He is definitely a player the giants need to bring back.
I definitely didn't appreciate punters as much as I should have until seeing how terrible dodge was and how much better weatherford is.

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

Thanks for the memories Brandon Jacobs

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

So skins get RG3