NFL Off Season 2012

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

an-also

Post by an-also »

unclebengi wrote:So skins get RG3
3 first round picks eh. That's a hefty price but worth it if RG3 can turn into a franchise type qb.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

A lot better than giving Albert 100 mill. Bradford won't have the weapons excuse for long.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Aaron Rodgers had some kind words for general managers interested in acquiring his former backup, Matt Flynn.

"The team that gets Matt is going to be very happy, I can promise you," Rodgers said of the free agent. "They'll be getting a top-15 quarterback."

The Green Bay Packers quarterback surely meant it as a compliment to his understudy of four seasons. But was it? There are 32 starting quarterbacks in the NFL. Being in the top 15 could mean you're barely better than half, right in the meaty part of the curve.

Let's assume the top-14 quarterbacks in the league are, in some order: Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Matthew Stafford, Michael Vick, Tony Romo, Jay Cutler, Matt Schaub, Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan and Andrew Luck. You can quibble with the bottom of the list, but that's beside the point. Essentially, Rodgers is saying that Flynn will be Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez or Alex Smith.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Leave it to the Deadskins to overpay for someone 2 months before the draft, total kneejerk reaction to Peyton snubbing them in his free agency rounds.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Hey RGIII, no pressure. You only have to be the best parts of Vick, Based Godg, and Peyton. Good luck (OMG a pun!).

DLG

Post by DLG »

^post/sig

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

VideoKilledThe wrote:Leave it to the Deadskins to overpay for someone 2 months before the draft, total kneejerk reaction to Peyton snubbing them in his free agency rounds.
Nah. Browns were in for three firsts too, and maybe the second also. It took two idiot fucks to get this done.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

While the Browns didn't acquire the franchise QB they were hoping for, they also didn't mortgage their future, and their consolation is getting to choose between Trent Richardson and Morris Claiborne.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

VideoKilledThe wrote:While the Browns didn't acquire the franchise QB they were hoping for, they also didn't mortgage their future, and their consolation is getting to choose between Trent Richardson and Morris Claiborne.
Yeah, just pointing out that this isn't just the Redskins being crazy, although it looks like it on the back end, IMO.

The Browns offered the same package (three 1s and a 2 this year), and apparently the Seahawks were in for three first round picks too. (I'm guessing the Rams are assuming the Redskins will be worse over the next three years than the Browns, and the Seahawks apparently dropped out before the 2nd got instituted as a kicker).

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Also, FWIW, I think the Raiders trading a first (and most likely) second round pick for Carson Palmer is as crazy as any of these three teams ponying three firsts for RGIII

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

Oh worry worry, whats the worst that can happen if RGIII isn't all that and a bag of chips? The skins will suck? Hahahahha.

We have huge cap space for free agents this year too. Hopefully they load up.

ric

Post by ric »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack
The New York Jets have extended quarterback Mark Sanchez's contract by three years and dropped out of pursuing free agent Peyton Manning.
(...)
The extension is for $40.5 million, averaging $13.5 million per year, NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported. That gives Sanchez five total years on his deal totalling $58.25 million, with $20.5 million fully guaranteed and no offsets in 2012 and 2013.
which reminds me i was watching one of those 'top 10' shows on nfl network and some dude said something like the following
"i used to be into football, and then i got into girls, but then i went back to football because i realized that some girls will not fuck you but the jets will ALWAYS fuck you"

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

manning will sign with arizona in a few days, promptly followed by reggie wayne also being signed for league min
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Rams are gonna dominate in the next 4 or 5 years

If they fuck this up they are doomed forever

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

i don't think the redskins overpaid. with rookies getting their salaries capped because of the new collective bargaining agreement, 1st round picks are more valuable than they were before.

if anything, this price is setting the precedent of future deals for potential franchise QBs in the draft.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:i don't think the redskins overpaid. with rookies getting their salaries capped because of the new collective bargaining agreement, 1st round picks are more valuable than they were before.

if anything, this price is setting the precedent of future deals for potential franchise QBs in the draft.
I am not arguing whether they overpaid or not, but doesnt the bolded part mean that the 3 first rounders they gave away are even bigger then people think?

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:i don't think the redskins overpaid. with rookies getting their salaries capped because of the new collective bargaining agreement, 1st round picks are more valuable than they were before.

You are saying this because you are a giants fan. The Rams raped the skins like English first came over. Making everything as favoriable to Washington as you can RGIII will have to be Tom Brady for this trade to be even. To use a bad poker analogy Washington went all in and need runner runner for a stright flush. Horriable from an EV prospective and this is even considering the importance of the QB position. It might be one thing to do this for the once a decade type guy like Peyton, Elway, Palmer or Luck but RGIII is just not even close to this level as a prospect.

As you said with the rookie cap it make the first round pick just to valuable to give away like this.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

ric wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack
The New York Jets have extended quarterback Mark Sanchez's contract by three years and dropped out of pursuing free agent Peyton Manning.
(...)
The extension is for $40.5 million, averaging $13.5 million per year, NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported. That gives Sanchez five total years on his deal totalling $58.25 million, with $20.5 million fully guaranteed and no offsets in 2012 and 2013.
which reminds me i was watching one of those 'top 10' shows on nfl network and some dude said something like the following
"i used to be into football, and then i got into girls, but then i went back to football because i realized that some girls will not fuck you but the jets will ALWAYS fuck you"

For all the talk the market fixes all problems and is efficient I present you this.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

lol

wow

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Randy Moss working out in San Fran today:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7672142

also Vikings cut Steve Hutchinson, who is 34 y/o now.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

HomeSkillet wrote:Oh worry worry, whats the worst that can happen if RGIII isn't all that and a bag of chips? The skins will suck? Hahahahha.

We have huge cap space for free agents this year too. Hopefully they load up.
joe webb > RGIII

ric

Post by ric »

ThaJim2 wrote:
ric wrote:jets extend sanchize
For all the talk the market fixes all problems and is efficient I present you this.
:lol: :lol: so true though. ha.

an-also

Post by an-also »

capable_keL wrote:Image
Aaron Rodgers had some kind words for general managers interested in acquiring his former backup, Matt Flynn.

"The team that gets Matt is going to be very happy, I can promise you," Rodgers said of the free agent. "They'll be getting a top-15 quarterback."

The Green Bay Packers quarterback surely meant it as a compliment to his understudy of four seasons. But was it? There are 32 starting quarterbacks in the NFL. Being in the top 15 could mean you're barely better than half, right in the meaty part of the curve.

Let's assume the top-14 quarterbacks in the league are, in some order: Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Matthew Stafford, Michael Vick, Tony Romo, Jay Cutler, Matt Schaub, Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan and Andrew Luck. You can quibble with the bottom of the list, but that's beside the point. Essentially, Rodgers is saying that Flynn will be Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez or Alex Smith.
Flynnsanity > Linsanity

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

an-also wrote:Flynnsanity > Linsanity
:leon:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i almost hope the broncos get manning just so tebow gets kicked out of town.

DLG

Post by DLG »

same. maybe skip bayless would kill himself too

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

feel bad for RGIII, I would hope they get him some help but were talking Washington here.

an-also

Post by an-also »

Ramen wrote:feel bad for RGIII, I would hope they get him some help but were talking Washington here.
Report: RGIII Will Need To Have Brady-Like Career To Justify Trade
12th March, 2012 - 12:00 pm
Harvard Sports Analysis Collective - A study from the Harvard Sports Analysis Collective suggests Robert Griffin III will need to have a career similar to Tom Brady for the Redskins to justify the trade price.

"..The total price the Redskins paid was 753.5 eCAVOA. That price translates to a CAV of 113.0, comparable to Tom Bradyג€™s current production to date (109 CAV). For the Redskins to get the equivalent value from RGIII as they spent acquiring him, he must produce at least as much as Tom Brady. If RGIII merely lives up to his eCAVOA, heג€™ll finish his career having slightly outperformed David Garrard (61 CAV). Because all-time-great quarterbacks are rare commodities, the Redskins likely lost value both on paper and in reality."

The report suggests the trade compares to what the Falcons gave up to draft Julio Jones, but isn't as high as what the Saints gave up to trade for Ricky Williams.

Read more: http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... z1ovakxalg

no pressure right

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

lol @ at all this RG3 stuff, if he ends up being a Cam no one will be complaining. they coulda kept those 3 first rounders and they might of all been busts. RG3 could be a bust or he could rock shit. no one knows anything but they'll say 'i told you so' once the chips fall. if they were wrong then it's zipped lip city. I'm just glad manning didn't end up going to the skins. nfc east would be even more of a nightmare for any team.
the boy is the father to the man

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

ThaJim2 wrote:
ric wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack
(...)

Honestly, I didn't even think of of it like that which is pretty ignorant.

However, if he turns out to be a franchise QB, i find it hard to believe the Redskins will regret the decision considering it is so difficult to find one.