NFL Off Season 2012

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:Big no to Vincent Jackson or Colston to the 9ers. Paying top tier money for ageing and injured guys who have spent their careers only flirting with being top talents on high powered offensive teams is a major fail.

Stock up on second and third tier guys that fit your scheme (e.g. Carlos Rogers last year Donte Whitner last year, Justin Smith when he was a FA, Ahmad Brooks when he came from Cincy, etc., etc.) and hope one of them breaks out for you. I can't even remember the last time a big time FA (top money guy at the time) put a team over the top.
Brees?
yup, but nobody really saw that happening at the time

alpha

Post by alpha »

Reggie White?? FAs never put teams over the top. I can see the 9ers winning the SB if they had gotten there. not like you guys were/are that far off. :naswtf:

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

alpha wrote:Reggie White?? FAs never put teams over the top
the eagles could have made this a lot easier

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

The reason why Colston or Vincent Jax are particularly intriguing is because of their size. The Niners desperately need redzone offense help, I'm all in favor of bringing in a basketball player type who can catch jump balls, if we don't have to pay top tier dollar for one of these guys even better.

The majority of our offense are plays inside the hash marks, Gore up the middle, Vernon up the seam, a guy or guys who can win one on one matchups outside of the numbers will go a long way to opening things up for everyone else.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

VideoKilledThe wrote:Probably going to franchise Mario.
ESPN NFL business analyst Andrew Brandt confirms that the Texans would have to pay free agent Mario Williams $21.99 million if they franchise tagged him. There was uncertainty about Williams' franchise number because he played last season for a $13.8 million salary. Undisclosed was a bonus that made Williams one of the highest paid defensive ends in football, and requires the Texans to pay him 120 percent of his 2011 earnings in order to tag him for 2012. Simply put, franchise tagging Mario Williams is not an option for Houston.

ric

Post by ric »

VideoKilledThe wrote:The reason why Colston or Vincent Jax are particularly intriguing is because of their size. The Niners desperately need redzone offense help, I'm all in favor of bringing in a basketball player type who can catch jump balls, if we don't have to pay top tier dollar for one of these guys even better.
not a huge fan, but id love it if the 9ers got another nice tight end and a mid-round burner

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

ric wrote:
VideoKilledThe wrote:The reason why Colston or Vincent Jax are particularly intriguing is because of their size. The Niners desperately need redzone offense help, I'm all in favor of bringing in a basketball player type who can catch jump balls, if we don't have to pay top tier dollar for one of these guys even better.
not a huge fan, but id love it if the 9ers got another nice tight end and a mid-round burner
They need a third quality TE?

PEACE

ric

Post by ric »

whos the second? konrad reuland? name me another 49er te who had more than 10 catches

maybe ill change it up:

"quality receiving te"

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Delanie Walker is the shit, fast and can block. when he broke his jaw a lot of audibles/formation shifts went out the window.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Word I love me Delanie.

ric

Post by ric »

ah. dude played 7 games. 20 catches. 3 tds. get em a burner then.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

The majority of our offense are plays inside the hash marks, Gore up the middle, Vernon up the seam, a guy or guys who can win one on one matchups outside of the numbers will go a long way to opening things up for everyone else.
I definitely see the need for it (it was supposed to be Braylon), I just don't think it's worth blowing a third of your cap space for one of those guys.

Why not spend half the money on a guy like Laurent Robinson, or a quarter of the money on a guy like Jerome Simpson. Colston's gonna be 30 with a degenerative knee condition and Vincent Jackson is really talented, but he's a 30 year old one-dimensional head case.

Older players like that are great when you underpay while picking them up as scraps and leftovers on the FA market (TKO, Rogers, Walt Harris, Tony Parrish, etc.), but I'd rather have three or four of those guys than one huge contract, imperfect player (Nate Clements).

alpha

Post by alpha »

Niners just signed Jesus.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Delanie is okay. A little overrated (a fan favorite type of guy whose play doesn't match) IMO.

I wouldn't be mad if the 9ers let Delanie walk and grabbed a guy like Ladarius Green in the 3rd or so.

Janoris Jenkins could still be there in the first. Pick up someone for the DL or OLB rotation in the 2nd, and grab Green in the third. He solves the redzone problem, and safer than a lot of the WRs the 9ers would be looking at.

WR is deep this year.

Even if they don't want to spend a top 3 pick on a TE, I'm all for pillaging the Cowboys offense (lots of talent, the team is just a mess).

The 9ers could get Martellus Bennett on the FA market for a song (all the talent has been there, they just haven't developed him and don't know how to use him, and Vernon might be the best mentor we have), and get Laurent Robinson for probably 3 million per or so.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Harbaugh loves Delaney. No way he looks for a replacement.

PEACE

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Giants' Bradshaw thinks it's time for Cowboys to dump Romo
Ahmad Bradshaw was recently on NFL Network talking about the Cowboys and QB Tony Romo. Asked if he thought they were SB contenders he said:

"I don't see it happening," Bradshaw told the NFL Network when asked if the Cowboys will ever win a Super Bowl with Romo at the helm. "I don't think they believe it, and they're America's Team. If America don't believe it ..." Then basically forget it...

What the article doesn't say is that he was then questioned, "wait, fans or players?", his response...

"It all comes together,"(Fans, Players, Coaches, Owners) Bradshaw said. "If the fans don't believe it, the team doesn't. They're kinda doubtful with Romo."

This example goes for any sports team. Bradshaw is coming off two SB's and great success with the Giants, he knows a thing or two about winning.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... zyd7FH0-dw

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Hue gets the Bengals two #1 picks, and all they can do for him is an assistant special teams position?
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/75866 ... ti-bengals
What a faggot ass franchise.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Jayou Ayen wrote:Hue gets the Bengals two #1 picks, and all they can do for him is an assistant special teams position?
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/75866 ... ti-bengals
What a faggot ass franchise.

he would be a great OC for a lot of teams. not sure why he hadnt got more/better offers.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Brandon Carr is the most underrated free agent in this class......
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Prophecy wrote:Brandon Carr is the most underrated free agent in this class......
Definitely underrated. Small school 5th round pick on a shitty team who is overshadowed by Brandon Flowers on the other side. I wouldn't be surprised if he cakes up in FA, though.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Prophecy wrote:Brandon Carr is the most underrated free agent in this class......
Definitely underrated. Small school 5th round pick on a shitty team who is overshadowed by Brandon Flowers on the other side. I wouldn't be surprised if he cakes up in FA, though.
I have him as a top 3 FA overall.....
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

ric

Post by ric »

@prophecy
really??? top 3? i saw a couple chiefs games he didnt seem THAT good. top 3 in a year of stacked free agency? WOW.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Chiefs gave 20 mil/3 years to Routt, so Carr is walking. Looks like they either think he won't be underrated on the FA market, or they think he's overrated.

alpha

Post by alpha »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Chiefs gave 20 mil/3 years to Routt, so Carr is walking. Looks like they either think he won't be underrated on the FA market, or they think he's overrated.
Carr>>>Routt

craig

Post by craig »

How do you 49er and Patriot fans feel about the possibility of getting Mike Wallace for a 1st round pick?

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Patriots either get unheralded players or players that have baggage. Never pay full price, so I seriously doubt they would do it. I would love it though depending on contract.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

craig wrote:How do you 49er and Patriot fans feel about the possibility of getting Mike Wallace for a 1st round pick?
Thumbs up. But I'd feel better about it if I had confidence that the 9ers QB could hit him in stride when he was open deep down the field.

PEACE

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

I would love it, I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. Mike Wallace = Desean Jackson - the crazy. But with the Steelers offense evolving into a pass happy system, where Ben slangs it 50 times a game, I can't see them getting rid of their #1 playmaker.

ric

Post by ric »

could be colossal move for the franchise.

now is their chance to cut willie gay. guy is the worst db in the division.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

VideoKilledThe wrote: But with the Steelers offense evolving into a pass happy system, where Ben slangs it 50 times a game, I can't see them getting rid of their #1 playmaker.
Yeah, but IIRC the Steelers are like 10 mil over the cap or something right now whereas the 9ers are 30 million under.

If the Steelers go that route and you're willing to give up the first and front load the contract it's not hard to back them into a corner.

I'd be surprised if the Steelers don't try to overpay him with the money loaded into roster bonuses and the like in years 2, 3, 4 or something to keep that from happening, though.