College Football

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

alpha

Re: College Football

Post by alpha »

lmao shut your homer ass up. Your team made the playoff and got their ass whoopped.

Classy Urban. never change.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

See y'all next year when the Bulls are hoisting the Birmingham Bowl trophy.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

peanut butter wrote:
ric wrote:Cal wouldn't quit
I dunno about all that man
All Cal does is quit.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

wheels

Post by wheels »

ThaJim2 wrote:
alpha wrote:nice edit ric.

OSU is going to win and Meyer will have more support as most hated coach in NCAA, but this was a win for US. The fact that we got a championship game with two teams that wouldn't even have made the title game under the bcs is a win.
No its not. Its disgusting and rewards mediocrity. The winning team went all FSU against Virginia Tech who I am pretty sure has a losing record. College football used to have a regular season that meant something now the stadiums will be emptier.
The only mediocre team in the playoff was FSU.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:See y'all next year when the Bulls are hoisting the Birmingham Bowl trophy.
Woooooo!
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

wheels wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:

OSU is going to win and Meyer will have more support as most hated coach in NCAA, but this was a win for US. The fact that we got a championship game with two teams that wouldn't even have made the title game under the bcs is a win.
No its not. Its disgusting and rewards mediocrity. The winning team went all FSU against Virginia Tech who I am pretty sure has a losing record. College football used to have a regular season that meant something now the stadiums will be emptier.
How is what ever team you give a shit about doing?

Kid That's Lifeless

Lol wheels is a UK basketball fan

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:Lol wheels is a UK basketball fan
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ric

Post by ric »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:See y'all next year when the Bulls are hoisting the Birmingham Bowl trophy.
bwahahahahaha

wheels

Post by wheels »

ThaJim2 wrote:
wheels wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:

Sure, I'm a UK basketball fan and that happens to be going well, but every team I give a shit about is terrible. Across the board. Including my college football team

I realize this is an odd location for it, but I've been inundated with complaints from Seminoles for a month. A lot of my friends apparently went to their safety school. Mad they didn't get the 1 seed. Then mad they didn't get the 2 seed when the 4 spot was what they deserved at best. It seems like most wanted to just skip the playoff altogether and let the sportswriters pick like it was 1955

Now the format cost them the championship. Or Alabama, Ohio State, and Oregon got in just on strength of schedule. Nevermind their combined 40 wins or whatever absurd number they racked up. I understand why TCU was left out, based on schedule, but that's not entirely their fault. And even though their SOS was 20 spots behind FSU, they were beating the dogshit out of people all year and FSU barely got by pretty much everybody. It could have gone either way. And yes, I realize Baylor was ahead of them.

To say the playoff is rewarding mediocrity is fucking asinine. Ohio State and Oregon were flat better than everybody else, except Alabama, both during the year and in the postseason. The format is the best it's ever been, I don't know how you can argue otherwise. After taking a beating like you did, I'd think you'd be more inclined to lay low, maybe be a little more self aware. Step outside yourself for a second and try to see that your posts are fueled by the overwhelming emotion of being dismantled like that in the Rose bowl. Shit is irrational, man. Holy shit

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

wheels wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:
wheels wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:

Sure, I'm a UK basketball fan and that happens to be going well, but every team I give a shit about is terrible. Across the board. Including my college football team

I realize this is an odd location for it, but I've been inundated with complaints from Seminoles for a month. A lot of my friends apparently went to their safety school. Mad they didn't get the 1 seed. Then mad they didn't get the 2 seed when the 4 spot was what they deserved at best. It seems like most wanted to just skip the playoff altogether and let the sportswriters pick like it was 1955
The where right to be mad FSU had the best resume. 0 losses against the most Power 5 schools and hardest schedule. Oh and again 0 losses while everyone else in the country had at least 1 loss. Putting anyone else but FSU as 1 is rewarding failure. Which should not come as a surprise with a panel that has Condie Rice and Barry Alvarez. Seriously how the fuck does he still have a job? Wisconsin is basically just below the top tier jobs and he lets coaches leave for Arkansas and Oregon St.
Now the format cost them the championship. Or Alabama, Ohio State, and Oregon got in just on strength of schedule.
Ohio State lost to fucking VaTech who finished below 500. The reason they where in is because one of the money men at ESPN finally had to put his foot down on the stupidity and remind them how much ESPN paid for this.
Nevermind their combined 40 wins or whatever absurd number they racked up. I understand why TCU was left out, based on schedule, but that's not entirely their fault. And even though their SOS was 20 spots behind FSU, they were beating the dogshit out of people all year and FSU barely got by pretty much everybody. It could have gone either way. And yes, I realize Baylor was ahead of them.
Oh they all have something in common that FSU did not have in common with them in the regular season. They fucking lost. They also did not play as many power 5 teams. Bama had 1 fucking great game all year where they destroyed a bad TAM other then that it was close games against teams that where ok.
To say the playoff is rewarding mediocrity is fucking asinine. Ohio State and Oregon were flat better than everybody else, except Alabama, both during the year and in the postseason.
Really Ohio State? I will take the Oregon argument but Ohio State? This is fucking hindsite is 20 20 bullshit 2 weeks ago exactly no one said that. Ohio State fans expected to get blown out by Bama. Again lost to VaTech.

Bama better then anyone else? Why because of their reputation. What the fuck did they do this season that they deserved shit. The 1 point win against the new greatest team in the universe Arkansas? Or the LSU game because LSU was very good in the past. That Ole MIss loss was just the tits.

The format is the best it's ever been, I don't know how you can argue otherwise. After taking a beating like you did, I'd think you'd be more inclined to lay low, maybe be a little more self aware. Step outside yourself for a second and try to see that your posts are fueled by the overwhelming emotion of being dismantled like that in the Rose bowl. Shit is irrational, man. Holy shit
No the format sucked. The format has sucked since we started these retarded playoff games in 92. The Rose Bowl is supposed to have the Big 10 v Pac 10. That is what makes the sport great. No one wants a NFL jr league or I fucking hope not because if it becomes a NFL jr league the game is dead already it just does not know it. Even with all this TV money flying around its shit compared to ticket sales and donations for the top programs. Pretty much everyone is having problems selling tickets to none premium games water down the regular season some more and see how much Texas can require for a donation.

alpha

Post by alpha »

wtf is Jim secretly a 60 year old BBWA voter?

wheels

Post by wheels »

Are we going off 2013 W/L for strength of schedule, or the weighted one at the end of the year? You're hung up on number of Power 5 opponents, I tend to focus on where a given team's opponents finished the year. I could see if FSU played twice as many power 5 opponents as these schools, but they didn't. It's one or two games.

If you look at the end of season strength of schedule it's a lot different. Especially when you realize how rough the SEC was during the middle of that Alabama schedule. Yes, Mississippi state ended up with 4 losses or something. But when they played Alabama, they were undefeated and the #1 team in the country. Should that matter?

You want a system that highly rewards undefeated seasons, but I don't. Not really. I personally don't care if you lose in September, as long as you don't lose again. Or hell, lose twice. As long as you beat the brakes off everybody else, and don't get blown out in those losses, who really cares? That Ohio State loss is bad, but didn't they kind of make up for that by beating Wisconsin by 60 points in the conference championship? I think so. I thought Ohio State was playing some of the best football in the country after that game. I'm not saying that losing at home to a shit team doesn't matter, but it shouldn't be the only thing that matters.

I am obviously in favor of the new system, and really disliked the old one. You're the other way around. I think the things that make college football good are still here- the only thing that's changed is that with this system, laymen have a chance of being able to understand it.

alpha

Post by alpha »

well said, wheels.

ric

Post by ric »

@wheels
i agree with a lot of what you wrote. especially because it seems like losing isn't really a big deal in determining better teams.

however. fsu was undefeated and had the better schedule in terms of sweet teams and on top of that were continuing a historic type run on wins.

what sucks to me is that a closed cadre of various bros football experts and non experts basically decided amongst themselves that Bama was #1 and Baylor and Tcu both out (we are all assuming it's the lack of conference championship but we might be wrong who knows).

look at the committee
http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/s ... -committee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Barry Alvarez himself. this fucking guy actually coached Wisconsin in their bowl game this year. archie manning lololol
according to the site they don't use a single data point to help them with anything.

Ohio state deserved to be in the running but so did Tcu and possibly Baylor. Bama ok yes. Oregon sure.

What looks like is going to happen is that teams who are more physically gifted than their opponents are going to be favored. end of story. recruiting just became the #1 thing even above wins and losses. great for oregon and Bama and Tosu and fsu. bad for Tcu and az and anybody who does more with less. I mean fuck ksu was a top 15 team when they played Baylor at the end of the year. that's not really justifiable. the Oklahomas of the world have a big leg up in the voting polls for no other reason than they are more gifted athletes. if Tcu had athletes that looked like Bama athletes they would have gone and maybe not Tosu and maybe (since lack of ls isn't a thing anymore) not fsu.

Tcu d gave away .6 pts per game less than Bama in conference where these offenses tear through defenses whereas about half the sec doesn't crack 30 pts/game

ric

Post by ric »

that was just a generalized grievance. the small schools will lose with this system and the lesser bowl games will mean less and less overtime and my guess is they'll lose more and more revenue and the playoff will be expanded and therefore the small schools will lose again

alpha

Post by alpha »

recruiting has always been a huge thing ric. The TCU argument has passed.
Not sure TCU this year beats Bama and Oregon, imo. OSU was playing the best at the end of the season and backed it up.

Cardale Jones is a top 5 pick after next season, at worst a 2nd rounder if he came out this year.

Kid That's Lifeless

What "sweet" teams did FSU play?

What's getting lost in all this is the fact that FSU made it in and was thoroughly raped. And I'm starting to regret being a FSU fan for the first 21 years of my life.

ric

Post by ric »

@alpha
oh I'm not hating on Tosu at all they earned it but they have to expand this shit in order to fully represent who's playing ball. just notice that this year there were no medium sized programs in the the playoff. just note that the teams in the playoff and just outside the playoff were judged as though the playoff to a #1 was the ultimate goal and the other bowls really did take a back seat fuck what anybody said (I think somebody else said this too: fuck this semi pro bullshit and ultimately this is my top greivance). also saying recruiting has always been a thing is ridiculous because now it means even more in the gap between small schools not getting recognized and big schools libertarianisming their selves into prominence.

@lifeless
the sweet teams lulz was about all that ranked and power 5 stuff Jim discussed earlier in thread

but my argument is less pointed as I do think the committee has done a good job of generally accounting for teams who are playing football. (which is fine except two things: #1 my little brother can do this by this standard #2 they are leaving out teams that deserve rank or deserve to be ranked higher). one problem they're already running into though is this: Marshall is a one loss school where the fuck is Marshall in the top 25 playoff rankings? who cares about confusion? at least the bcs system would have them up there. you're always gonna have confusion and nonsensical shit. everybody is declaring victory over this system because it's easy. fuck that. fucking idiocracy (no I haven't seen the movie)

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

The playoff should ultimately be a 10 team playoff. Champions from the P5 and the highest ranked champion from the G5 get automatic bids. Then 4 at large teams have to play, "play in games".
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

alpha wrote:recruiting has always been a huge thing ric.
This. For as long as it's been around college football has been 75% Jimmy's and Joes and 25% X's and O's. Quality depth is what truly sets the top P5 teams apart from everyone else.

alpha

Post by alpha »

@ric I see what you're getting at with disparity between schools. It comes down to money. Some schools have more than others. With that said, there's plenty of money to go around. For decades schools have come out of nowhere to be bigger programs. Miami, and more recently Baylor and Oregon. Boise... It can be done. So I wouldn't be crying for the San Jose St's of the world.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

If they go to a 10 game playoff, the regular season needs to be shortened. Beware of unpopular opinion ahead, but at some point there should be consideration given to the health of the student athletes who are working for free and risking their future to generate hundreds of millions of dollars

PEACE

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

10 teams would be ridiculous, milking these kids for all theyre worth.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

wheels wrote:Are we going off 2013 W/L for strength of schedule, or the weighted one at the end of the year? You're hung up on number of Power 5 opponents, I tend to focus on where a given team's opponents finished the year. I could see if FSU played twice as many power 5 opponents as these schools, but they didn't. It's one or two games.

If you look at the end of season strength of schedule it's a lot different. Especially when you realize how rough the SEC was during the middle of that Alabama schedule. Yes, Mississippi state ended up with 4 losses or something. But when they played Alabama, they were undefeated and the #1 team in the country. Should that matter?

You want a system that highly rewards undefeated seasons, but I don't. Not really. I personally don't care if you lose in September, as long as you don't lose again. Or hell, lose twice. As long as you beat the brakes off everybody else, and don't get blown out in those losses, who really cares? That Ohio State loss is bad, but didn't they kind of make up for that by beating Wisconsin by 60 points in the conference championship? I think so. I thought Ohio State was playing some of the best football in the country after that game. I'm not saying that losing at home to a shit team doesn't matter, but it shouldn't be the only thing that matters.

I am obviously in favor of the new system, and really disliked the old one. You're the other way around. I think the things that make college football good are still here- the only thing that's changed is that with this system, laymen have a chance of being able to understand it.
Yeah and FSU should get credit for beating an undefeated Oklahoma State. Get the fuck out of here getting credit for when they beat a team. Miss State turned out to be a rather ok team not a number 1 team they where fraudulently handed.

They lost to Virginia Tech that finished 7-6 and kind of had their ass handed to them in that game. This is a Virginia Tech team that lost to East Carolina, Pitt, and fucking Wake Forrest in double over time 6-3.

I don't even care that Ohio State wins because I hate the playoffs so I am making the obvious arguments. And I am someone that should love the playoffs more then anyone else because you know what school will be in the playoffs over the next decade more then anyone else its FSU. Hell we probably have 5 or 6 national titles at least if the playoffs where around for the last 40 years. But here is why I hate the expanded playoffs seeing as we have had a playoff now for 23 years. There is easily 8 years that I can think of where FSU could have ignored the florida game and still got into the playoffs. Why would I or anyone else pay a donation on top of our season ticket package when one of the biggest games on the schedule is meaningless?

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

peanut butter wrote:If they go to a 10 game playoff, the regular season needs to be shortened. Beware of unpopular opinion ahead, but at some point there should be consideration given to the health of the student athletes who are working for free and risking their future to generate hundreds of millions of dollars

PEACE
The post season the money is split evenly to the power five schools. The regular season is where Michigan and Ohio State separate themselves from Illinois and IU. Where FSU and Clemson separate themselves from Miami of Florida and UVA. Where Bama and uf separate themselves from Vandy. Etc etc. Or in other words take away where the big boys make their money to redistribute to schools that only have a football team because a 100 years ago they where lucky to be in the same conference yeah never going to happen. Take regular season games away and there goes the bulk of the money in the sport.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

peanut butter wrote:If they go to a 10 game playoff, the regular season needs to be shortened. Beware of unpopular opinion ahead, but at some point there should be consideration given to the health of the student athletes who are working for free and risking their future to generate hundreds of millions of dollars

PEACE
Take away the ability to schedule FCS teams and shorten the regular season by one week. You only add one more game week and you can spread the playoff games over the bowl weeks.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

ThaJim2 wrote:The post season the money is split evenly to the power five schools. The regular season is where Michigan and Ohio State separate themselves from Illinois and IU. Where FSU and Clemson separate themselves from Miami of Florida and UVA. Where Bama and uf separate themselves from Vandy. Etc etc. Or in other words take away where the big boys make their money to redistribute to schools that only have a football team because a 100 years ago they where lucky to be in the same conference yeah never going to happen. Take regular season games away and there goes the bulk of the money in the sport.
Sorry bro, probably not your target audience for the emotional plea in your argument. Because I'm totally fine with the outcome defined in your final sentence.
Prophecy wrote:Take away the ability to schedule FCS teams and shorten the regular season by one week. You only add one more game week and you can spread the playoff games over the bowl weeks.
If they expand the playoffs and want to consider the athletes at all, I think a scenario like this is the most likely outcome

PEACE

ric

Post by ric »

@alpha
yeah but when you judge and rank teams essentially by how bad ass their players look on field and you make that part of the determining factors about ranking etc you cross a line where schools who don't have the qualities you're looking for but have other qualities and in a cold hard numbers sense do as well or better are getting ranked systemically less and are getting screwed. and that's part of the point here and it's already happening.

I'll defend the bcs and say this about the it: quality play isn't always apparent (I mean this is one of the premises the game is based on). at least when you take out the element of the eye test you allow teams who don't look flashy to come claim their place at the table

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Cardale playing school for another year.