Best Defensive Player since '85: Payton vs. Garnett

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Who was the best defensive player since 1985?

Kevin Garnett
52%
Gary Payton
48%

Total votes: 27

Gregg Popabitch

Best Defensive Player since '85: Payton vs. Garnett

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Gary Payton

vs.

Kevin Garnett

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

KG

ric

Post by ric »

tough one. rolling with gp

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

widedefensestance.jpeg
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

If Payton wins it is a travesty.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Went with KG because his D affected more shots.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Cash Rulz wrote:Went with KG because his D affected more shots.
Manute Bol affected more shots than Gary Payton. I wouldn't think of it along those lines. This is more of a pound-for-pound type deal.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

can the gary payton voters explain themselves?

ric

Post by ric »

@kel
they call him the glove because he shuts your ass down
how many pgs have won nba defensive player awards?
probably the greatest career/prime defensive performance by a pg in the history of the game
in his prime you couldnt even really pick him out of a play, hed have had to make a mistake for you to get access to anything resembling a clean shot (and im not sure about his later career but would not doubt his ability to plaster himself onto you)
also took guys out of games with his d and his mouth. guy probably talked more shit than anybody else in the history of the game, its a rare thing to not see his mouth moving no matter what is going on, and would fuck with guys that way, effectively for the most part, even if he wasnt ding up on a guy (ex karl malone, who he would occasionally guard too). finished his career top 3-5 in techs or flagrants.
his on court position work is outstanding and he could effectively guard spots 1-4 at most any level of talent. centers were a bit problematic for him but he still managed to draw charges and make an impact.

in my opinion, with as little hometown/homo bias as possible, guy is a top 10 defender of all time from what ive seen. hes a top 5 favorite player for me personally.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

ric wrote:@kel
they call him the glove because he shuts your ass down
how many pgs have won nba defensive player awards?
probably the greatest career/prime defensive performance by a pg in the history of the game
in his prime you couldnt even really pick him out of a play, hed have had to make a mistake for you to get access to anything resembling a clean shot
also took guys out of games with his d and his mouth. guy probably talked more shit than anybody else in the history of the game, its a rare thing to not see his mouth moving no matter what is going on, and would fuck with guys that way, effectively for the most part, even if he wasnt ding up on a guy (ex karl malone, who he would occasionally guard too). finished his career top 3-5 in techs or flagrants.
his position work is outstanding and he could effectively guard spots 1-4 at most any level of talent. centers were a bit problematic for him but he still managed to draw charges.

in my opinion, with as little hometown bias as possible, guy is a top 10 defender of all time from what ive seen.
thanks for repeating well known facts about the glove. but outlined facts notwithstanding he still wasn't on par with KG. and I am a vehement KG hater because i despise epic faggots

ric

Post by ric »

:roll:
how about this: kg is not as good a man defender as gp and got fucked with for years in a way that blocked shots stats cant reflect.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

dont fucking roll your eyes at me

KG was matched up, every night, with the best crop of PF in the history of the NBA. every night KG was going against:
S. Kemp
Karl Malone
Tim Duncan
Raweed wallace
chris webber
Amare
Dirk

this is why i give KG the nod because every night he was matched up against elite, dominant competition. not discounting the glove, but thats my argument

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Payton could not gaurd 4s. Also, once KG was older then like 20 or 21 he did not get fucked with for years when playing man D at all.

ric

Post by ric »

night after night gp got the opposing teams best scorer (usually any teams most versatile scoring threat) unless karl was trying to shut down the ball distribution. and he usually did shut you down and dominate (ex: picking jason kidds pocket) usually with little/no help in any sort of way.

edit: he didnt even really funnel, he just played you straight up

led a below elite level team to elite status defense, coming in 2nd in 96 to the greatest team ever assembled.

9 time nba defensive 1st team
9 times

probably the greatest perimeter defender to ever play the game, not counting his versatility. and youre mad/confused because kg was matched up with some great big men.

:roll::roll::roll:
Last edited by ric on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gregg Popabitch

I haven't voted yet....

but Gary Payton had just about every elite skill/tool that you'd want in a PG defensively: length, lateral quickness, timing, good hands, peskiness/motor, the ability to play lanes, and the ability to drop down in a double team. He guarded Jordan after Game 2 in '96 if i'm not mistaken and did a pretty solid job.

Take that with a grain of salt though because I am a part of the extremely small camp that believes Rodman should've been the MVP of the '96 finals.

ric

Post by ric »

@popabitch
the 96 finals was a great matchup. jordan had his, and sometimes handily, but gp held him to 28 and under, i think, and a couple nights under 35% fg% and in game 6 both teams came out either poor offensively or committed to defense and the bulls, iirc, ended up putting ron harper on him and double teaming because they knew that he would be the heart and soul of any sort of come back on both ends of the floor.

bulls win 85 75 or something.

and some nights jordan was just getting calls, as well as shooting excellent ft%

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

If we were just comparing primes then it would be close.
Career wise it has to be KG. He still has a huge effect on D and is one of the best defensive motivators.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

How come Pippen didn't make this tourney, but Joe Dumars did?

PEACE

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

peanut butter wrote:How come Pippen didn't make this tourney, but Joe Dumars did?

PEACE
Pippen got a bye.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

No doubt. For that, I will share the image that best documents the most important moment in Scottie's life...

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Soon after that picture was captured, Olden took to the streets and began acting like Keitel in Bad Lieutenant. Coincidentally, that was also the most important time in his life.

PEACE

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Roy Johnson wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:Went with KG because his D affected more shots.
Manute Bol affected more shots than Gary Payton. I wouldn't think of it along those lines. This is more of a pound-for-pound type deal.
Yeah, but I'm in NOOOOO way thinking of the way KG affected shot like Bol. None. Zero. No correlation....whatsoever.

Bol sucked.

I'm thinking that KG blocking proved more valuable than Payton's containing.

Gregg Popabitch

Roy Johnson wrote:
peanut butter wrote:How come Pippen didn't make this tourney, but Joe Dumars did?

PEACE
Pippen got a bye.
Yep.

To be completely honest, GP got a bye too. I wanted to go with KG with a bye but my homie (who helped me make the whole tourney....and no, it's not Rzn) insisted that GP get it. It was honestly down to these two for the last bye.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

it's a bit silly to insist that a guy who is 6'4 is a better defender than a guy who is 6'11 when the 6'4 guy got to hand-check his entire prime and most of his career and the 6'11 guy has guarded 3's, 4's, and 5's with ease and even in advanced age has maintained his defensive excellence b/c he's just that amazing at defense's non-aging factors (positioning/fundamentals/veteran savvy/lower center of gravity)

AND kg's defense much like tyson's this year often single-handedly save possessions for the celts and was the single biggest contributing factor to their title win and subsequent title run...GP harrassed jordan but a guard can only affect an entire offense so much whereas a big man influences a lot more possessions
Nets 2022

ric

Post by ric »

12 - 11!!!! nice matchup so far
its silly to me that a big huge versatile guy like kg only breaks 2 blks/game twice in his career and is beating out maybe the best defensive guard to ever play the game

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

you must think iverson and javale mcgee are two of best defen best ever.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

McGee's better than Chandler, look at the BPG.

Gregg Popabitch

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:McGee's better than Chandler, look at the BPG.
McGee is also an athlete.

Gregg Popabitch

KG advances