The Official NCAA Basketball Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

wheels

Re: The Official NCAA Basketball Thread

Post by wheels »

Reason wrote:nope what i was referring to was how overrated okafor is

:megaman:
Glad I got my post in before yesterday

Luh you bruh

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Terran Petteway has "second round Knicks draft pick" written all over him

PEACE

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

wheels wrote:
Reason wrote:nope what i was referring to was how overrated okafor is

:megaman:
Glad I got my post in before yesterday

Luh you bruh
hah, overrated doesn't ahve to mean bad or incapable of playing well vs louisville, just not #1 pick material

anyway came here to post this:

Tai Wynyard, who committed to Kentucky on Sunday over Villanova and Texas, is one of the best young 16-year-old players in the world at the moment.

That doesn't necessarily mean that he's ready-made to step in for the Wildcats. But they are getting a 6-foot-9 power forward who plays with terrific physical toughness inside for his age. He has an ability to make shots away from the basket, but his bread and butter is around the rim. In many ways he reminds me of a young Enes Kanter, a Turkish import who never gained NCAA eligibility at Kentucky and still ended up as an NBA lottery pick with the Utah Jazz.

Wynyard was discovered by George Raveling, Nike's head of global basketball, at the Nike All-Asian camp a couple of years ago. Along with being the best young player in New Zealand, a country that has recently turned out Oklahoma City's Steven Adams, he nearly made the New Zealand national team that competed in the FIBA World Cup this past summer. The 16-year-old phenom was the last cut on a team that included former Wisconsin Badgers star Kirk Penney and current Nebraska guard Tai Webster.

There is no indication as to whether he will be in the Class of 2015 or 2016. From what I've been told, that has yet to be determined. But given that John Calipari has done a terrific job developing NBA prospects, Kentucky seems like a logical landing spot for Wynyard. Don't expect instant success, however. He's still a baby in terms of his long-term development. I'd look at him as a top-25 player in this current high school junior class.

He also has very good genes. His mother is a former college basketball player and his father is a former world champion woodchopper.

the rich get richer, wheelzor
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

you see how jeremi grant easily took okafor's weakass body contact/attempt at a blocked shot or shot adjustment and finished over him? that play is a perfect example of what i perceive to be his difficulties that will prevent him from being the true #1 or perennial all-star people are deluded to think he will be

also, fuck his free throw shooting
Nets 2022

wheels

Post by wheels »

He played alright today!

If Duke can do that every time out they'll be hard to beat. But on the real, this is basically a Duke thread. Where Breeze at?

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

how geeked are you over the wildcats though

what an incredible team in this era of college basketball

and at this point i wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if one of the harrisons stayed one more year
Nets 2022

wheels

Post by wheels »

I'm trying to contain myself nh

It's been great, I don't have to talk the team up or defend them or anything, it's just 'have they lost?'

I hope that continues. If Harrison wants to stay, fine. But there needs to be a serious chat about minutes for Ulis and Booker. Especially with Briscoe and the kid from around here on the way in.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

ut plz fire rick barnes thx

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Wat

PEACE

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

wheels wrote:I'm trying to contain myself nh

It's been great, I don't have to talk the team up or defend them or anything, it's just 'have they lost?'

I hope that continues. If Harrison wants to stay, fine. But there needs to be a serious chat about minutes for Ulis and Booker. Especially with Briscoe and the kid from around here on the way in.
you know me i can barely talk about basketball without referring to nba context so....

the harrison brothers seem like they will be a combination of eric snow, tyreke evans, and dion waiters in the nba, an amalgam of those three players and really on the low end...not very impressive at all...ulis is clearly the best point guard on the team, i'm over the moon on tyler, his instincts/motor/vision/ability to finish over bigger guards & bigs/lateral quickness...he'll challenge isaiah thomas for best player 5'9 or under of all time not named calvin murphy

booker should model his game after klay thompson's and ulis should model for GQ cuz that sexy ass game is going to stick in the nba regardless of his size (or he'll be an absolute star if he plays in europe)
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

lol listening to calipari talk to seth immediately after the game is gold

it's clear to me that cal CAN'T WAIT for the harrisons (especially andrew) to get teh fuck outta there
Nets 2022

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Reason wrote:ulis should model for GQ cuz that sexy ass game
:lol: :cheers: never change rzn

wheels

Post by wheels »

Reason wrote:lol listening to calipari talk to seth immediately after the game is gold

it's clear to me that cal CAN'T WAIT for the harrisons (especially andrew) to get teh fuck outta there
I actually believe him when he says he needs Andrew to do specific things, and if he doesn't, he pulls him. That's obvious. Andrew's ability to play that way is the problem, not his overall ability. According to me anyway.

But Ulis and Booker are flat better than a Harrison Harrison back court. If you want to go small, keeps those guys in and put a Harrison at the 3. Still could have two guys over 6'10" on the floor. I think the Harrisons may have plateaued offensively for now, maybe the NBA guys can get them in shape, I dunno. What that team needs is for those two to just go apeshit on both ends of the floor at all times, and let Ulis manage the game. Fuck the fouls, fatigue, turnovers, all that.

Ulis and Booker will score. Towns will score, so will Lyles. WCS will get his. Nobody else should worry about it.

One thing I'm sick of, and it's a small gripe, is opposing crowds whooping it up like Ulis got his ankles broken on every play. He's defending guys from about a foot away, and if they stop, he has to stop too. It just doesn't look pretty. He could put an end to it by giving whoever he's guarding more space, but then they'll just shoot over his head.

That kid is amazing. His assists to turnover ratio is absurd. His shot is ugly but not MKG ugly, and he gets it off quick (nh) so I hope nobody tries to fix it. Ulis is the kind of guy who would give Kentucky all kinds of trouble, so for that reason plus many many others, I'm glad he's in Lexington. I want him to dunk on somebody before the year is up

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

wheels wrote:
Reason wrote:lol listening to calipari talk to seth immediately after the game is gold

I actually believe him when he says he needs Andrew to do specific things, and if he doesn't, he pulls him. That's obvious. Andrew's ability to play that way is the problem, not his overall ability. According to me anyway.

But Ulis and Booker are flat better than a Harrison Harrison back court. If you want to go small, keeps those guys in and put a Harrison at the 3. Still could have two guys over 6'10" on the floor. I think the Harrisons may have plateaued offensively for now, maybe the NBA guys can get them in shape, I dunno. What that team needs is for those two to just go apeshit on both ends of the floor at all times, and let Ulis manage the game. Fuck the fouls, fatigue, turnovers, all that.

Ulis and Booker will score. Towns will score, so will Lyles. WCS will get his. Nobody else should worry about it.

One thing I'm sick of, and it's a small gripe, is opposing crowds whooping it up like Ulis got his ankles broken on every play. He's defending guys from about a foot away, and if they stop, he has to stop too. It just doesn't look pretty. He could put an end to it by giving whoever he's guarding more space, but then they'll just shoot over his head.

That kid is amazing. His assists to turnover ratio is absurd. His shot is ugly but not MKG ugly, and he gets it off quick (nh) so I hope nobody tries to fix it. Ulis is the kind of guy who would give Kentucky all kinds of trouble, so for that reason plus many many others, I'm glad he's in Lexington. I want him to dunk on somebody before the year is up
:cheers: gotta love that authentic & accurate kentucky fandom

btw, tyus jones has impressed me sooo fucking much tonight, just an incredible performance the last 5 minutes of the game especially

meanwhile, yet again okafor underwhelms me to no end, especially on post defense/defense, and he's 0-5 from the line as i type this, just bricked another one up 1 with 3:28 left in OT, make that 0-6 LMAO

:icedit: i still think he'll have a career line similar to zach randolph's but a peak lesser than that of randolph's peak when all is said and done but not #1 pick worthy
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

ulis only averages 2.5 fouls per 40 minutes
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

he probably won't be able to really stick it or make a huge impact in the nba although i'm rooting for him, but ryan boatright has got to be the fastest-while-dribbling player in ncaa since ty lawson
Nets 2022

wheels

Post by wheels »

Take Arkansas today. I got them +17

I know the game is being played at Rupp, but unless Portis sits that 17 points is not getting covered.

And if they manage to do it, fine. I'll eat that $100 no problem

wheels

Post by wheels »

Sorry dudes, I'll reimburse your Arkansas bets

Edit: thank you Michael Qualls

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

don't worry wheels pretty sure not a single person in america bet against kentucky
Nets 2022

wheels

Post by wheels »

Ha

I really want one of those 31-0 shirts, but I guess they're a limited run. I bet Drake got one though

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

lolz

btw i would love to know if calipari consciously/actively borrowed from popovich's running of the spurs deep rotation especially in their championship run
Nets 2022

wheels

Post by wheels »

It's hard to imagine he didn't

I also think he's going to break out the full court press suddenly and violently in the tournament and nobody will know wtf to do about it

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Cauley Stein the rare case of a player staying another year in school and improving his draft stock

PEACE

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

sent the wife to watch duke lose to ND in greensboro.. i still think they are a major problem in the tournament.. would have really liked to see them against unc in the final and come back with a ACC title..

pissed i'm gonna miss most of the tournament though..

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

does 2015 big 12: basketball::2015 sec west: football ?

:killacam:

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

lol.. yea they got killed.. however texas more than likely shouldn't have been in but played respectable against butler..

may be time to let barnes go..

iowa just got :copy:

wheels

Post by wheels »

None of this shit is any fun at all. There's been a massive expectation for this team to win it all since around this time last year, and after they got to conference play undefeated the focus shifted to going 40-0. Anything short of that is a colossal failure, especially at this point since we're in single elimination.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great problem to have and I'm glad I watched them this year, etc.

It just hasn't been any fun. There are nice moments in every game, but there have been 5 close games that should probably be Ls and 30 blowouts. It's not real exciting, and when it is, they're playing dogshit basketball. Sure, it's great watching Calipari shitting on people from a great height, but I honestly wish they'd lost to LSU or somebody and gotten it over with. I care way more about a title than going 40-0 in a down year against a questionable, front loaded schedule.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

lol must be nice to have one of them "good problems"

#kentuckyfansburden
Nets 2022

wheels

Post by wheels »

I know I know.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

oh man i was wrong about d'angelo, kid has the skills to stick regardless of his flaws
Nets 2022