The Official NCAA Basketball Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

The Official NCAA Basketball Thread

Post by Reason »

Randolph Childress joins Wake staff

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Former Wake Forest star Randolph Childress is the Demon Deacons' new director of player development.

Coach Jeff Bzdelik said Wednesday that Childress earned a full-time job on his staff after spending nearly a year as an assistant to athletic director Ron Wellman.

Bzdelik says Childress "exemplifies our vision of winning championships without compromising our values."

Childress made a Wake Forest-record 329 3-pointers from 1990-95, was the MVP of the 1995 Atlantic Coast Conference tournament and ranks second in school history with 2,208 career points.

He was drafted by Detroit in 1995 and played a total of two seasons with the Pistons and Portland Trail Blazers. His jersey No. 22 was retired by the school.

Childress called his new job "a dream come true."

----------------------

what better way to start this thread than to invoke one of the all-time great "names" in college basketball (and a damn good clutch player for his ncaa days)?

(although i kinda wanna merge with the college football offseason sticky to make one NCAA sports thread)
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

ucla's additions:

shabazz muhammad
kyle anderson
tony parker
jordan adams
larry drew II (transfer...was a high recruit in his own right and went to north carolina and sat out after transferring last year)

kentucky's recruiting class:

nerlens noel
alex poythress
archie goodwin
willie cauley

now anthony bennett has not committed yet...and that could be huge for kentucky (who is on his list...ucla is not)

noel would slide into the gap left by davis and bennett would do the same only with kidd-gilchrist's 3 spot (not that either are as good as the probable #1 and #2 picks in the upcoming nba draft, but they'll be freshman starting in the same spots given roles that are similar)
Nets 2022

wheels

Post by wheels »

I thought Bennett was a 4 (He's supposed to commit today). Poythress would be the 3. Could be wrong on all that.

Noel is by all accounts, better than Davis was at this time last year defensively. He's been a center his whole life, which probably has everything to do with it. He's just not the scorer Davis was/is.

Which is a problem. Doron Lamb will be missed. I think scoring will be the last thing to come together for this team, but what do I know. Enough about Kentucky.

I'm interested to see how Marquette does moving forward. They lost a ton of guys, and just had a forward transfer out. I have faith in Buzz to pull something off, and I'm glad he stayed at Marquette.

Indiana will be fun to watch/hate on. Much of the younger Kentucky fanbase doesn't realize what an intense rivalry that used to be because the hoosiers have been irrelevant for two decades. The big ten looks like it's down this year, they should be able to run wild in conference.

Can't wait to see the revamped UCLA squad. I'm rooting for them, fuck it.

Whatsizface took the Illinois job, I'm expecting to be underwhelmed by that program for the next 8 years.

2013 is looming. Let's talk recruiting ASAP. (I'm looking at Reason and Breeze here). I went to more high school games this year than ever before, and I'm going to try and catch Jabari Parker as often as I can this year. Should be a blast.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

wheels wrote:I thought Bennett was a 4 (He's supposed to commit today). Poythress would be the 3. Could be wrong on all that.

2013 is looming. Let's talk recruiting ASAP. (I'm looking at Reason and Breeze here). I went to more high school games this year than ever before, and I'm going to try and catch Jabari Parker as often as I can this year. Should be a blast.
no i think your'e right on the bennett/poythress thing...i was running away with the davis/kidd-gilchrist vs noels/bennett thing and got carried away

2013:

jabari parker (seems to be the consensus #1, which is kinda rare i guess)

julius randle

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xLHXfFLJCjg?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xLHXfFLJCjg?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

he's got some pretty impressive ball skills for a guy that size

kasey hill (consensus #1 guard...really sick ball control, instincts, hops and body control...i mean out of this world...reminds me of james harden in a lot of ways...imo would probably be #1 in this class if he had even bradley beal size)

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pYwchQ1K3bM?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pYwchQ1K3bM?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

2014:

andrew wiggins
dakari johnson
jalil okafor

breeze was the first i think to really talk about the following cat but i'm more excited about him than i am about jabari as dude has the potential to take steve nash's crown as the best canadian basketball player ever: andrew wiggins

here's a tidbit most ppl don't know about him among the myriad awesome qualities of his at such a young age: he was measured at 6'7 in shoes with a 6'11 wingspan at sixteen years old (for context he has one of the silkiest, smoothest, most coordinated games you'll see from a cat his age and he's guard/sf skilled guy)

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGF_ePGAjwE?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGF_ePGAjwE?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Report: NCAA looks at Nerlens Noel
Updated: May 9, 2012, 12:26 AM ET
Associated Press
EMAIL
PRINT
NEW YORK -- The New York Times is reporting that the NCAA is looking into Nerlens Noel, a top prep recruit who has committed to play at national champion Kentucky next season.

The newspaper said Tuesday that two members of the NCAA enforcement staff went to Everett, Mass., this week to inquire about the 6-foot-10 Noel, who attended Everett High School for two years but is now at the Tilton School in New Hampshire.

Everett High principal Louis Baldi told the newspaper he met with NCAA investigators for 75 minutes. He didn't reveal specific details, and said the NCAA officials "didn't ask me any investigative-type questions."

Tilton headmaster Jim Clements said he had not heard from the NCAA. He said he expected Noel to graduate at the end of next week.
Nets 2022

wheels

Post by wheels »

If you're a top-5 recruit, you're getting investigated for something.

John Wall
Enes Kanter
Shabazz
Nerlens
Anthony Davis
etc.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Anthony Bennett is going to UNLV.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Yo, wheels...who wins an alumni game between current UCLA pros or Kentcky pros?

If anybody else wants to jump in, feel free.

Starting lineup for UCLA:

F Kevin Love
F Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
G Aaron Afflalo
G Russell Westbrook
G Jrue Holiday

Bench would be sick too.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Kentucky's starting five would be:

Rondo
Wall
Prince
Patterson
Cousins

Is that right?

I'd take UCLA.

wheels

Post by wheels »

Does Kanter count?

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

oooh, i love shit like this

let's do unc too
Nets 2022

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:Kentucky's starting five would be:

Rondo
Wall
Prince
Patterson
Cousins

Is that right?

I'd take UCLA.
No Chuck Hayes?

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Reason wrote:oooh, i love shit like this

let's do unc too
Lawson
Danny Green
Marvin Wiliams
Hansborough/Jamison
Haywood

.. Not sure that is best team, but I tried.

Kid That's Lifeless

naturalborn103 wrote:
Reason wrote:oooh, i love shit like this

let's do unc too
Lawson
Danny Green
Marvin Wiliams
Hansborough/Jamison
Haywood

.. Not sure that is best team, but I tried.
You got it.

Texas squad would be:

D.J. Augustin
Avery Bradley
Durant
Tristan Thompson
Athlete

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

that texas team is really nasty, and in five years you might be able to replace augustin with kabongo
Nets 2022

Kid That's Lifeless

Yeah, I've been trying to think of starting fives from other schools.

Florida's team would be absolutely loaded in the frontcourt (Horford, Noah, Lee, Speights, Haslem), but have no guards.

Duke: Irving, Redick, Deng, Boozer, Brand

UConn: Kemba, Allen, Gay, Okafor, and I guess Thabeet (ROFL)

Wake would have CP3 and Duncan. If this was 2007 and Josh Howard was still good, this team would be really really good.

peanut butter

Re: The Official NCAA Basketball Thread

Post by peanut butter »

More trouble for Gillispie as allegations of mistreatment surface
Jeff Goodman wrote:As Texas Tech coach Billy Gillispie remains in a hospital room with his coaching career in jeopardy, allegations continue to surface about his mistreatment of players, coaches and others in the Red Raiders program.

Sources close to the Texas Tech program told CBSSports.com that Gillispie reneged on several promises to coaches, kept players in scholarship limbo, causing them to miss opportunities and money, and also practiced injured players so severely that they openly wept in practice.

Calls to both Gillispie and Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt have not been returned. According to a hospital spokesperson at the University Medical Center, Gillispie remained a patient as of Tuesday night. Gillispie's Tulsa-based attorney Stuart Campbell told CBSSports.com that he would attempt to contact his client when reached Tuesday afternoon, but he had no immediate comment on the allegations.

Fifteen players have already left the program prematurely since he took over in March of 2011, with the most recent being highly regarded recruit Wannah Bail, a native of the Bahamas who didn't return after the first summer school session. Bail's summer coach, Terrul Henderson, told CBSSports.com that Bail's departure had nothing to do with academics -- as had been speculated.

"It was because of Gillispie," a source close to the program said. "He couldn't deal with him."
More on Gillispie

* Ex-players allege Gillispie broke practice rules
* Gillispie hospitalized; players meet with AD

Bail is just one of approximately 30 bodies that have turned over since Gillispie got the job. There was a lengthy list that bolted a year ago, shortly after Gillispie took over, including secretary Leslie Hartline, assistant coach Chris Beard, trainer John Murray, video coordinator Jason Imes, graduate assistants Sean McCurdy and Colby Huseman, student manager Cooper Schmidt and academic advisor Marlon Dechausay. That's not it, either. Gillispie has gone through a pair of strength coaches already and two directors of basketball operations.

Former Indiana guard Tom Coverdale quit his job at Tyler Junior College after being promised an assistant coaching spot under Gillispie. Just days before he was set to arrive, Gillispie told Coverdale the job was actually an assistant strength position that paid about half as much as the initial spot. Gillispie also promised former junior college coach Matt Eisele a job, according to numerous sources, but then pulled the offer. Renard Phillips spent three months out in Lubbock having virtually no idea of his job responsibilities, sources told CBSSports.com, before he left to take a high school job back in the D.C. area. Former assistant coach Jeff Kidder departed this past summer for a high school job in Kentucky. Multiple other coaches have told CBSSports.com that they have been led to believe they had a job offer from Gillispie, only to be led on through the process without a formal offer.

Former players have come out and told CBSSports.com that Gillispie broke NCAA rules by not adhering to practice limits. He once went eight hours in a single day. NCAA rules stipulate you can't practice more than four hours per day or 20 hours per week.

"We practiced a lot more than 20 hours a week," former guard Kevin Wagner told CBSSports.com.

"We used to go more than four hours all the time," added Jaron Nash, who transferred to North Dakota after last season. "I remember that day when we went almost all day. We didn't leave until 9 p.m. or so. It was pretty bad. A lot of guys were really hurt after it. One guy had a stress fracture in both legs."

One source identified that player as African native Kader Tapsoba, who did not play last season while dealing with multiple stress fractures.

"He was literally crying at practice," said the source, who was with the program last season. "He couldn't even run and Gillispie had him running up and down the steps at the arena. I remember the doctor getting the X-rays back and coming to practice and telling Gillispie it was really bad. He'd just ice him up and tell him to go practice."

"He shouldn't have been practicing," he added. "But he bullied everyone, including the trainer. He'd make the trainer make kids come back. Bodies were dropping like flies. One day I walked in and the whole team was in the training room. All the players and even the managers. He'd make them practice."

The team's star player, Jordan Tolbert, cut his hand on the rim one day last year in practice and suffered a four-inch gash across his fingers. The next day, according to one source, Gillispie had the trainer bandage his hand and then instructed Tolbert to dunk the ball every time he caught it.

Gillispie left two Canadian players, Ty Nurse and Dejan Kravic, in scholarship limbo this past summer. According to multiple sources, he wouldn't tell either one whether he was renewing their scholarships yet when they wanted to go home to Canada after summer school ended, he made it clear that if they left, they could not return. Both players had purchased flights home for about $1,000 and wound up having to absorb the cost in fear of not being able to return to Lubbock.

One source said that Gillispie, the night before most games, has everyone in attendance participate in layup lines at the start of practice -- including television and radio broadcasters, strength coaches and assistant coaches.

"If we fumbled the ball, slipped or shot it with the wrong hand, he'd make us run the steps of the arena," the source said. "He got a big kick out of it, but it was demeaning for us as grown men."

The current players have met with the administration and are fed up with Gillispie's antics. None will comment on the record in fear of having to deal with Gillispie in the future.

"It's been festering since last year," one source said of the current player revolt of sorts. "The players are tired of it."

Gillispie checked himself into an area hospital last Friday for what he told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal felt like a "stroke" or a "heart attack." He told the newspaper he has been dealing with stress of late and was listed in satisfactory condition over the weekend.

A university spokesman told CBSSports.com that the school is "aware and are looking into concerns within the leadership of our men's basketball program."
Source: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... nt-surface

PEACE

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

:ohsh:
Nets 2022

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

That is crazy^. I like how a player who left name was Wannah Bail.

Here is team of people straight from HS:

?/?
Kobe/Ellis
Lebron/?
KG/Josh Smith
Howard/Bynum

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

T-Mac @ SF
Shawn Kemp @ PF
Moses Malone @ C

PEACE

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Only supposed to be active players in NBA. And I assumed also at the level they are playing at now, otherwise T-Mac would of def been on the team.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

naturalborn103 wrote:That is crazy^. I like how a player who left name was Wannah Bail.

Here is team of people straight from HS:

?/?
Kobe/Ellis
Lebron/?
KG/Josh Smith
Howard/Bynum
Brandon Jennings could run point. For depth I would add Andray Blatche, Amir Johnson, and Jeremy Tyler.

Kid That's Lifeless

JR Smith could be the gunner off the bench.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Bassy telfair back up pg

Kid That's Lifeless

Positive A wrote:Bassy telfair back up pg
I had a Telfair to run the point post ready to go, but I forgot he was still in the league lol

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

ESPN wrote:With its football team already sanctioned by the NCAA for impermissible benefits and academic misconduct -- and the school still mired in several investigations into no-show classes (which included athletes) in the school’s African and Afro-American Studies department -- the latest plot twist comes courtesy of a former UNC quarterback and the mom of a popular former Tar Heels basketball All-American.

From Dan Kane of The News & Observer:

Matt Kupec, a star quarterback for UNC-Chapel Hill who later returned to become its chief fundraiser, resigned Sunday after an internal investigation showed he and university fundraiser Tami Hansbrough appear to have taken personal trips at the university’s expense, Chancellor Holden Thorp said Monday.

Thorp said Kupec, the vice chancellor for university advancement, offered his resignation Sunday night after Thorp told Kupec a review of his travel with Tami Hansbrough, the divorced mother of former UNC star basketball player Tyler Hansbrough, showed trips that did not appear to be university related. Thorp said those trips appear to have included destinations where her other son, Ben Hansbrough, then a star basketball player at Notre Dame, was playing, but Thorp did not say how many.

Kupec, who set or broke 19 passing records for UNC from 1976-1979, issued a statement saying he was proud to have led two fundraising campaigns that raised $4 billion for the university, and that in his heart, “I will always be part of the Carolina family.” Meanwhile, UNC's internal auditor has begun an audit of the travel expenses.

Thorp told The N&O that Tami Hansbrough has been placed on administrative leave, and that he did not see the fundraising issue as an athletics department concern.

But, Kane also writes:

The personnel changes give another twist to Hansbrough’s unusual work history at UNC-Chapel Hill. She was originally hired on Dec. 8, 2008, as a fundraiser for the foundation that serves UNC-CH’s dental school.

At the time, her son Tyler, a senior, was beginning his final season on the basketball team, a season that would bring the university a national championship. Tyler Hansbrough was named an All-America and now plays in the NBA.

Thorp confirmed that a dental foundation audit later found that during that championship run, Tami Hansbrough had been traveling to cities in which Tyler Hansbrough was playing basketball. But Thorp said those foundation-paid trips were legitimate because she was raising money for the university, and UNC fans traveling to those games would have been good candidates to make donations.

Thorp said the university’s compliance office reviewed information about the travel for compliance with NCAA regulations.

Tami Hansbrough, it should be noted, wasn’t hired until Tyler’s senior season, and stressed at that time that she received no help from the athletics department in getting the job in the dental school. She received her bachelor’s degree from Southeast Missouri State University, had past experience in leading marketing efforts related to medical organizations and said then that she planned to retire in Chapel Hill.

PEACE

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Things are starting to unfold quickly for Aaron and Andrew Harrison (Richmond, Texas/Travis). The family conference calls are complete and so are the home visits. Kentucky, Maryland, Baylor, Villanova and SMU all came in and sold their programs to the Harrison family.

But according to the twins' father, as of Thursday evening they have officially trimmed their list to two favorites and a distant third contender. Kentucky and Maryland are at the top of the list, while SMU is in third, said Aaron Harrison Sr.

It appears a decision is near for the best backcourt in high school basketball -- who just happen to be identical twins who'll play together in college. Wherever they end up in college, don't expect Aaron and Andrew to separate from playing with each other until they enter the NBA draft.
No way they choose Maryland over UK. There's no comparison.

They can ball. 6-5, 6-6ish too. They'll be no worse than Top 10 picks in the 2014 draft. Word.

wheels

Post by wheels »

Those dudes are coming to Lexington^. Maryland seems like a reach and SMU gets a serious :larry:

Do we care that Calhoun retired?

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

I care that Calhoun retired because we have one less cheater in the college ranks. Maybe LA raised Kevin Ollie has some of his old coach's tricks up his sleeve. It remains to be seen. All coaches cheat in one way or another. If not, they get fired.

This thread in general needs more updating from the heads that like college basketball. A good majority of the posts are about NBA dudes.

I'm concerned on Muhammad and Anderson being eligible at UCLA. I hate how the NCAA holds the student-athletes hostage before they determine their right to play. :naswtf: is up with that?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

:rofl: Gillespie resigned today in shame. I hope he never gets another job. Fuck that guy

PEACE