Official European Football Offseason/Euro 12/Olympics Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Evidently Brendan Rodgers signed a 3 year deal to become Liverpool's new manager.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

We're aweful - fucking aweful. We're throwing away every last shred of reputation we once had. Bert van Marwijk is out on a mission to destroy Dutch football, and sadly he's doing a mighty fine job. I do not like the van Bommel - Nigel de Jong pairing in midfield because it completely demolished any attempt to build up the play. Vurnon Anita from Ajax would've been the logical choice. Defensively we're exposed as well, as everyone is just running back as fast as they can instead of pressing in midfield and attack. We're basically target practice for any team that's worth something - Germany and Spain in Europe.

I personally expect Germany to take it all, but this year, I'm not so confident in my ability to predict outcomes. I've been burned a lot this season; I've only seen Ajax play a lot. Spain is a solid pick as well, but I think Spain's on the return overall. Barca hasn't been that impressive this season and the same can be said about Spain. Still, Spain in top form >>>

@CQ: Your prediction of Van Persie as top goalscorer isn't the best one, for two reasons:

1. It's still unclear if Van Persie will be the starting striker. Huntelaar has a claim to that position as well. Plus, he never scores much if he does play.
2. The topscorer will not play in the group that has Portugal, Germany, Holland and Denmark.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

How can Van Persie not be the starting striker? There's few at his level right now.

I have to go with Spain. They play with and against each other so much they've got a leg up on a lot of other countries. Not feeling Germany too much for some reason. France could be a contender, they've got huge amounts of talent all over the field. They're usually a bunch of headcases though...like Italy.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

odium-LSC wrote:Evidently Brendan Rodgers signed a 3 year deal to become Liverpool's new manager.
Major coup by Liverpool if true. I wanted him at Tottenham if Harry was leaving. If they get Boudebouz as well?? Things could get interesting at Anfield.

Apparently M'villa to Arsenal ain't happening.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

jamrage wrote:How can Van Persie not be the starting striker? There's few at his level right now..
Because he's incompatible with our other players. I personally would always start van Persie, but evidently, van Marwijk (and basically everyone else) in our country aren't so sure. Huntelaar was awarded the number 9 jersey over van Persie (although some say van Persie asked for 16 himself) and Huntelaar started over van Persie in our 1-2 loss against Bulgaria last week.

I have my own theories on van Persie in our national team, but currently, he's way better at Arsenal.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Best. Goal Celebrations. Ever.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AleYSkW2LoQ?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AleYSkW2LoQ?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

I've never been that impressed with Hulk, sure he is talented and has a strong left foot, but 38m I don't think so.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

I don't get the appeal either. They've been chasing him for awhile too but funny what a miracle CL run will do for a club. Now everyone's willing to come.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alpha

Post by alpha »

I'm a complete noob at following this sport, but hasn't Chelsea been a destination since the new owner a few years back?

I'm trying to settle on a club to follow in the EPL. Arsenal seems like the easy bandwagon choice. MU/MC seem too much like the Yankees. I know MC success has been more recent. So that leaves me with Liverpool/Chelsea. I'm thinking Liverpool since they have nice kits and the "never walk alone" thing.

I know I'm out a place here, so take it easy. :lol:

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

alpha wrote:I'm a complete noob at following this sport, but hasn't Chelsea been a destination since the new owner a few years back?

I'm trying to settle on a club to follow in the EPL. Arsenal seems like the easy bandwagon choice. MU/MC seem too much like the Yankees. I know MC success has been more recent. So that leaves me with Liverpool/Chelsea. I'm thinking Liverpool since they have nice kits and the "never walk alone" thing.

Newcastle, bro. CISSE!!

alpha

Post by alpha »

Well I really enjoy their beer.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

alpha wrote:Arsenal seems like the easy bandwagon choice.
Why would you say that? I don't think that's true at all.

You mention Chelsea, who just won the CL and already spent
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Here in the states, arsenal VERY much seems the obvious bandwagon choice as it and man u are probably the first (only) 2 teams your average American even knows the name of.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Hmm.

I saw this on a forum.

Porto received 850m from transfer sellings since 2003:

Their big names:

Hulk 45m euros
Falcao 40m
Lisandro 25m
Quaresma 25m
Deco 25m
Anderson 30m
Bosingwa 20m
Ricardo Carvalho 25m
Paulo Fereira 15m
Pepe 30m
Bruno Alves 20m
Lucho Gonzales 25m
Raul Mereiles 15m
Aly Cisokkho 15m
Andre Villas Boas 30m
Mourinho

All these player and coaches came from nowhere and barely costed them any money.

And they still win trophies every year.

Interesting to also note that only Anderson, Quaresma and Bosingwa turned out to be a bit shit or at least very overpriced. Arguably AVB but that's harsh, considering Chelsea's revolving door of coaches.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Req

Post by Req »

Anderson might be the most frustrating player at United.
F.U. MOOLAH

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

I'm excited about Brendan Rodgers, and his ideas on tactics, and playing pressing, stylish football, not so excited about Pool's squad. How does Andy Carroll fit into his plans? I feel good about the back 4 + Reina, but any of the other 6 outfield positions could be upgraded. some pace, flair, and most importantly goalscoring is desperately needed.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

LOl at 25 mill for quaresma

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

odium-LSC wrote:Here in the states, arsenal VERY much seems the obvious bandwagon choice as it and man u are probably the first (only) 2 teams your average American even knows the name of.
Very true. There's STRONG support for Arsenal here in the U.S. You're going to be called a bandwagoner if you support any of the big clubs though, so go with what appeals.

I picked Tottenham because they're a hard luck franchise on the rise that has some very good players that play good football. Plus, my Dad is from London so I basically had to support a London or Manchester (Mom's home) squad.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

Speaking of spurs, lot of not so good news. Guess Levy is deciding whether to give Harry one more year or burn it all down. Good chance Modric, van der Vart and Bale are in greener pastures. Harry might be enjoying sunny Qatar quite soon.

And hopefully sign Vertonghen so Ledly can be put out to pasture!

Oh and will England have a mid fielder by first match?

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

Anyone here doing Fantasy Euro 2012? If so, which one?

Worth setting up a Philaflava League?

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Im down.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

I'm down as well.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

I've set up a Philaflava Fantasy Euro 2012 league.

http://en.euro2012fantasy.uefa.com/

League code: 227112-51938

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

A little spurs stuff:

Vertonghen is really close.

Ledley would rather retire than free transfer to another club.

Gio dos santos to be purchased by Swansea.

Niko (who I love) to be sold to, possibly, Kiev.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Mark 563 wrote:I've set up a Philaflava Fantasy Euro 2012 league.

In.

Had a hard time picking my squad.

Sotiris Ninis is my dark horse. :gyeah:

:icedit: Fetfatzidis (Ninis is out and, though not surprising, sucks)

I have 1.0 left and literally can't put it to use.
Last edited by Positive A on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

I just nerded out and designed my kits with :phila: colors.

Norbert Cleaverhook

Post by Norbert Cleaverhook »

alpha wrote:I'm a complete noob at following this sport, but hasn't Chelsea been a destination since the new owner a few years back?

as a chelsea fan, i would say newcastle or swansea. both play decent football and i reckon swansea could challenge for a europa league spot next year if they get a few good signings this summer. liverpool are on their way down and i dont think brendan rodgers will be able to save them

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

Positive A wrote:
Mark 563 wrote:I've set up a Philaflava Fantasy Euro 2012 league.

In.

Had a hard time picking my squad.

Sotiris Ninis is my dark horse. :gyeah:
I'm in too. Also had a hard time with the squad but there are some pretty good values in there.

Norbert Cleaverhook

Post by Norbert Cleaverhook »

VideoKilledThe wrote:I've never been that impressed with Hulk, sure he is talented and has a strong left foot, but 38m I don't think so.
same, no doubt hes a great player but he never impressed me when he played against premier league clubs in europe, also the fact he calls himself hulk just seems like a way of making him appear a lot more desirable than he should be. hulk, hazard and mata would mean that marin will struggle to make it into the starting squad as well