NBA Draft/Offseason Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

peanut butter

NBA Draft/Offseason Thread

Post by peanut butter »

Per the request of the folks who don't want draft chatter cluttering up the Official Heat Hate Thread, here is a safe place for those of us with nothing else to live for but next year.

Sources: Jared Sullinger red flagged

By Chad Ford | ESPN.com

Ohio State Buckeyes big man Jared Sullinger has been medically red flagged by NBA doctors, multiple league sources told ESPN.com on Monday.

Sullinger's agent, David Falk, when reached via phone by ESPN.com said that he was not in a position to comment on the story.

Sullinger, who is projected to be a lottery pick in the 2012 NBA draft, underwent a series of medical tests at the NBA draft combine a week ago. According to sources, the doctors who looked at Sullinger were concerned with Sullinger's back.

A number of NBA team doctors have reviewed the information from the NBA and have told their front office staff that Sullinger's back issues could shorten his NBA career and some have advised their teams not to draft him in the first round.

Sullinger missed two games for Ohio State in early December with back spasms.

ESPN.com currently has Sullinger slated to go No. 10 in Mock Draft 7.0. However, such news could cause Sullinger to free fall in next week's draft.

In 2009, Pittsburgh's DeJuan Blair was also red flagged by the NBA when medical tests at the NBA combine revealed he didn't have ACL's in either knee. At the time Blair was projected as a late lottery pick. He slid all the way out of the first round.

###

Pretty much guarantees the Dubs will select him at 7, yeah?

PEACE

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

^^

hold out hope for harrison!

anyway i will re-post the latest mock draft for reference:
Reason wrote:Image
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

OMFG DAVID STERN PLEASE MAKE THE FANS HAPPY:

NBA weighs flopping penalties
Updated: June 18, 2012, 7:35 PM ET

MIAMI -- David Stern is determined to stop the floppers, even if it takes until the next morning.

The NBA commissioner believes too many players are deceiving referees into calling fouls by falling down, or flopping. So he and the league's newly reformed competition committee met Monday for a discussion about how it can be prevented.

One option, Stern said, is a "postgame analysis" in which a player could be penalized if it was determined he flopped. The league retroactively upgrades or downgrades flagrant fouls after review, and along those lines he said that perhaps a player could receive a message from New York saying: "Greetings from the league office. You have been assigned flopper status."

"No, I'm joking, but something like that," Stern said. "That sort of lets people know that it's not enough to say 'it's all part of the game.' "

The committee is made up of coaches Doc Rivers of Boston, Rick Carlisle of Dallas and Lionel Hollins of Memphis; owners Dan Gilbert of Cleveland and Joe Lacob of Golden State, and general managers Bryan Colangelo of Toronto, Sam Presti of Oklahoma City, Mitch Kupchak of the Lakers and Kevin O'Connor of Utah.

During a 6-hour meeting, they also discussed expanding instant replay for flagrant fouls and goaltending, decided the lottery system is the best one currently available, and seemed to favor leaving the away from the ball foul rule as is, so coaches could continue to intentionally foul notoriously bad free throw shooters.

Any rules changes they recommend would have to be approved by the league's Board of Governors, set for its next meeting in July.

Stern hopes by then to have a policy to address flopping, which bothers him because he feels it tricks the referees. He said there's a "broad array of issues" to look at that can let players know the practice is to be discouraged.

"If you continue to do this, you may you have to suffer some consequences," he said. "What those exactly should be and what the progression is is to be decided, because ... we just want to put a stake in the ground that says this is not something that we want to be part of our game, without coming down with a sledgehammer but just doing it in a minimalist way to begin stamping it out. And I think there are ways we can do that and we'll have to wait and see exactly what we come up with."

Stern has talked of allowing replay on all flagrants. Referees currently can only look at the more severe flagrant-2 penalties to determine if they indeed warranted ejection or should be downgraded to flagrant-1s. He has said he is intrigued by the international goaltending rules, which allow a defensive player to knock the ball off the rim.

He's neutral when it comes to the away from the ball fouls, which led to Hack-a-Shaq and which the Thunder used while intentionally fouling San Antonio's Tiago Splitter in the Western Conference finals. On one hand, he feels bad for the player who is being embarrassed by his poor free throw shooting; on the other, he understands that maybe coaches should then take the player out.

The committee appears to be leaning toward the status quo.

"It's fair to say there was a strong sense that we shouldn't cut down on the toolbox that coaches have available to them, despite what may seem the unseemliness of the way it goes down," Stern said. "But that's just one of the things that you do if you want to win and it works."

He said the committee, formerly made up of the league's general managers, plans to reconvene in September.
Nets 2022

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

thank god..now i have a home

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

It will be interesting to see how severely the health concerns about Sullinger will impact his draft stock. Maybe the Dejuan Blair comparisons made earlier won't turn out to be far fetched.

PEACE

ripweblo
pork

Post by ripweblo »

Loved how Henson improved his game, good with both hands (no homo), just wish he was stronger

As for bulls trade rumors, the minutes Deng has on him scares me, but i'd still take him over Barnes and I like barnes, but I can't see him being the defender that Deng is

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

peanut butter wrote:Dog did you really not read the first article in the entire fucking thread?

PEACE
LOL no i did. i clicked wrong link and quickly copy/pasted wrong article like a tard:

Sources: Bobcats hire Mike Dunlap
Updated: June 18, 2012, 10:54 PM ET
By Chris Broussard | ESPN The Magazine
RECOMMEND67TWEET171COMMENTS1KEMAILPRINT
The Charlotte Bobcats have hired St. John's assistant Mike Dunlap as head coach, according to league sources. An official announcement will be made Wednesday at a press conference in Charlotte.

Dunlap is a somewhat surprising hire because he has spent most of his career at the collegiate level, but he is highly regarded in NBA circles for his knowledge of the game.

A week ago, the Bobcats had narrowed their choices to Hall of Fame coach Jerry Sloan, Indiana assistant Brian Shaw and Lakers assistant Quin Snyder, sources said. After initial interviews with Charlotte executives Rod Higgins and Rich Cho, Shaw and Snyder were brought in last week to interview with Bobcats owner Michael Jordan.

Sloan pulled himself out of the running last week, and after meeting with Shaw and Snyder, Jordan decided to re-open the field and brought Dunlap back in for an interview on Monday, sources say. Impressed, Jordan offered Dunlap the job.

Dunlap, who is known to favor an up-tempo style of play, will replace Paul Silas, whose contract was not renewed after Charlotte finished with the worst winning percentage in NBA history this past season. The Bobcats were 7-59.

Longtime NBA assistant Tim Grgurich, who worked alongside Dunlap in Denver while Dunlap was an assistant coach with the Nuggets, may join the Bobcats as an assistant, sources said.

Dunlap assumed all duties with the St. John's program last season after head coach Steve Lavin took a leave of absence to deal with prostate cancer.

Though Dunlap has more than 30 years of coaching experience in college and the pros, he has never been a head coach at the Division I or NBA level. A two-time Division II national champion and Coach of the Year, has been an assistant head coach at Arizona and Oregon, in addition to St. John's.

Arizona went 21-14 in 2008-09, advancing to the NCAA Tournament's Sweet 16 before ending the season with a loss to top-seeded Louisville in the NCAA Midwest Regional Semifinal game. Dunlap joined Oregon's staff in 2009-10 and the Ducks posted a 16-16 record.

Prior to working at Arizona and Oregon, Dunlap spent two seasons in the NBA with the Nuggets working under head coach George Karl.

The Nuggets compiled a 95-69 (.579) record during his tenure and made two playoff appearances, including a 50-win season for the 2007-08 Denver squad, a first for the organization in 23 seasons.

Early in his career, Dunlap also served as an assistant coach at Southern California under George Raveling, and as an assistant coach at Iowa. He also spent five years as an assistant at his alma mater, Loyola Marymount University.

In between he spent 10 years at Metropolitan State College of Denver.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Nets 2022

wheels

Post by wheels »

lol @ the picture they grabbed for Fab Melo.

Boris.

Post by Boris. »

Erazem Lorbek (FC Barcelona, Slovenia national) supposedly going to the Spurs next season. Hell yea
If you can't walk the walk, don't talk the talk.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Fab Melo talks academic problems
Updated: June 19, 2012, 2:52 PM ET
Associated Press
EMAIL
PRINT
INDIANAPOLIS -- Fab Melo now has a chance to explain what happened at Syracuse.

Melo was ruled academically ineligible for seven games last season, including the NCAA tournament, and now that he's making the rounds on the draft workout list, Melo is trying to answer NBA scouts.

His explanation is simple: Until four years ago, the Brazilian didn't even speak English.

Melo says team officials appear to be "comfortable" with his answers, and that he still expects to be drafted in the first round though not among the first 14 picks.

Melo also says he watched the tourney games in Syracuse, N.Y., something that hurt to see. He was last year's Big East Defensive Player of the Year.
Nets 2022

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Word is that Beal wont make it past the number 4 pick if the order stays the same, because Cleveland will take him.

PEACE

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Sullinger's back being fucked up is consistent with the way he's played in his sophmore year. If your back is fucked up, it's tough to have that explosion that you need and Sully clearly lacked that last season.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Finally caught the dream team special. Fucking awesome. Wasn't even 10 in 92 and had no clue about a lot of the back stories hey covered

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Really interesting to see who goes second in this draft. I don't know if the Cats take Beal because their best player is Kemba and those two are very similar players. MKG is the second best overall talent I think, but he's raw and I'm not sure the team has the pieces in place to develop him to the fullest of his potential. Robinson makes the most sense but he's a significant step down in terms of NBA upside from the previous two players mentioned. And I do think Jordan would be tempted to take Barnes, but I dont think he's that stupid. All things considered, I believe Jordan has to seriously think about trading that pick for more established parts + high picks this year and more in the future.

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Thank You Back Problems

PEACE

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

The Washington Wizards have reached an agreement with the New Orleans Hornets on a trade to acquire Hornets center Emeka Okafor, according to sources close to the process.

The Wizards will get Okafor and Hornets forward Trevor Ariza for Rashard Lewis and Washington's No. 46 pick in next week's draft.
Rashard Lewis' 23.8 million dollar contract can be bought out for 13.7 million before July 1st. Trade saves New Orleans around 30 million
Great trade for NO. get extra pick and saves them ton of money for next year, when much better free agents then this year are coming up.

Gregg Popabitch

okafor
Nene
MKG?
jordan crawford
wall

not a bad looking starting lineup.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

This Wizards-Hornets trade screams Bradley Beal at No. 3. Adding Okafor & Ariza should eliminate TRob & MKG

Gregg Popabitch

that is assuming beal is there when the wizards are picking.

i think the wizards really like their position in the draft

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:okafor
Nene
MKG?
jordan crawford
wall

not a bad looking starting lineup.
this is an excellent argument for the wiz to draft mkg. he's potentially perfect in so many ways with this particular lineup
Nets 2022

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

MKG and Wall on the fast break got me like Image

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

And I dont think Ariza going to Washington means that they aren't going to take MKG if he's available. Kidd-Gilchrist has a lot of work to do before he's near his full potential in the league. Getting Ariza grants them the luxury of having a solid wing that can start and contribute while MKG develops without the onus of heightened expectations.

PEACE

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

a. mkg gonna throw an oop to wall, watch

b. and then when it's time ariza will be one of the better 6th/7th men of the
league
Nets 2022

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Again, this all hinges on what the Cats do with the #2 though.

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

PEACE

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

peanut butter wrote:MKG and Wall on the fast break got me like Image

PEACE
This.

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

Yeah I feel you but everyone is talkin bout bradley beal.

Sometimes when I'm drunk on a weds night I wonder - what if the bullets package their big man overload into a trade down/contract dump and draft Andre Drummond?

Then I http://www.nbadraft.net/players/kwame-brown and :fail:?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I think Deandre Jordan is the more realistic comparison for Drummond. Because there can only ever be one Kwame.

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

peanut butter wrote:there can only ever be one Kwame.

PEACE

PEACE

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

lol