MLB Offseason 2012-2013

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

MLB Offseason 2012-2013

Post by Reason »

i will kick it off with a couple excerpts from this fun fangraphs article: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... hing-2012/

As far as I can tell, during the 2012 regular season, position players made a dozen relief-pitching appearances. They totaled a dozen relief-pitching innings, mostly in blowouts, and occasionally, famously, not in blowouts. Here is a list of the position players who took the mound in 2012:

Craig Gentry
Chris Davis
Drew Butera
Brian Bogusevic
Rob Johnson
Darnell McDonald
Jeff Mathis (twice)
Joe Mather
Mitch Maier
Dewayne Wise (twice)

Now let’s talk about the 2012 position-player pitching performance. Over those 12 innings, they combined to allow nine runs — all earned — for a 6.75 RA and a 6.75 ERA. They allowed 17 hits and two home runs, with seven walks and four strikeouts. Their small-sample BABIP was .341, and generally these are just terrible numbers. Of course. They’re below replacement-level, of course. The combined position-player pitching FIP was 6.35. An FIP above 5.00 or so is an FIP you don’t want to expose to (m)any innings.

Okay, so we could stop there, content with our small-sample data. But now we can add a fun little twist. Acknowledging that we’re dealing with pointlessly small sample sizes, it turns out that, while most major-league pitchers were better at pitching in 2012 than the position players, a very small handful was not. Even after we set a minimum of 20 innings, five pitchers this season posted not only a worse RA than the position players, but also a worse FIP. These are pitchers who were out-performed by players who are not pitchers. Not because those players were good. More because those pitchers were terrible.

The five pitchers, and their respective RAs and FIPs:

Graham Godfrey, 7.71, 6.48
Armando Galarraga, 7.50, 7.43
Jonathan Sanchez, 8.35, 6.60
Brooks Raley, 8.51, 6.88
Zach Stewart, 10.09, 7.55

------------------------

as far as the yankees are concerned i'd like them to re-sign kuroda to a 1 year or 2 year deal (sounds like he'll take the offer of 13.3 for 1), let swisher walk, sign bj upton, and god help them with the closer rivera/soriano situation
Nets 2022

jamrage

Re: MLB Offseason 2012-2013

Post by jamrage »

New Astros unis. I like 'em a lot more than the old ones as I wasn't feeling the pinstripes at all. These are all retroed out, but I do like the return (more or less) to the old hat design.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Return to the hat = awesome
Nets 2022

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

yeah hats are cool. I still think they should rock the old orange rainbow unis more often.
Remember when Kel laughed at me for saying Kuroda was one of the best signings last offseason? Dick.

As far as the Phillies offseason, I'm hoping we pick up a good outfielder. Would love Bourn if his price stays reasonable, for some reason my gut says Tori Hunter. Which I'd be completely ok with.
Hope the White Sox don't pick up Youk's option so we can sign him.
Resign Madson. He'll probably sign somewhere where he can close though.

That Haren/Marmol trade that almost went down would be beyond dumb for the Angels. Must be trying to clear payroll to sign Greinke, no other explanation for it.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Phils should consider signing Upton

PEACE

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

peanut butter wrote:Phils should consider signing Upton

PEACE
That's who I think they'll end up with. White Sox will probably try to bring back Youk at a lesser price than their option, but I'd like to see him be a 1 or 2 year stopgap til we have someone from the farm or surrender every last possible prospect for Headley or Olt (assuming Ruben's still the GM).

Ruben has a hard-on for Mike Adams, too.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Remember when Kel laughed at me for saying Kuroda was one of the best signings last offseason? Dick.
:larry: / :cas:

yet i had kuroda in both our fantasy leagues
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Sylissez wrote:
Ruben has a hard-on for Mike Adams, too.
You seen that slider tho? All im sayin is that better men have turned for less (yh)

PEACE

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Are we gonna get to find out the awards starting this week? MVP, Cy Young, ROY, MOY, etc.

Can't wait to hear Buster Posey named as the National League's MVP... And I kinda doubt it'll happen, but it would be great if Bruce Bochey was named MOY.

citizen

Post by citizen »

Reds offseason:

Wait for Scott Rolen to retire
Resign Ryan Ludwick or not
Move Chapman to the rotation or keep him as closer
If Chapman is moving to the rotation, plan ahead so he doesnt get Strasburg'd in the fall
Trade for a leadoff hiitter or not
Trade someone (Mike Leake) to make room in the rotation for Chapman or not
Find a new closer if Chapman is moving to the rotation
Sign Mat Latos to an extension
Watch every move Billy Hamilton makes. The other day he stole third on a throw back to the mound.
Make Super Todd Frazier everyday 3B or move to LF
Try to avoid signing ridiculously old veterans that Dusty Baker will not be able to resist playing on a regular basis
Decide whats going on with Mesoraco
Find a new CF or let Drew Stubbs wreak havoc again
Last edited by citizen on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

capable_keL wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:Remember when Kel laughed at me for saying Kuroda was one of the best signings last offseason? Dick.
:larry: / :cas:

yet i had kuroda in both our fantasy leagues

Well then you should be thanking me for such valuable advice. Ain't no future in frontin.

on April 18th, 2012
capable_keL wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:Kuroda was secretly one of the best signings of the offseason
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NO
http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=210

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

you were being trolled

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

citizen wrote:Try to avoid signing ridiculously old veterans that Dusty Baker will not be able to resist playing on a regular basis
hahahaha That's good 'ole Dusty for ya. And as much as I loved him when he was here with the Giants, that's the one thing I really fuckin disliked about him.

And as for the Giants this off season, I think we really need to keep and re-sign Marco Scutaro (2B), Angel Pagan (CF), Jeremy Affeldt (RP) and Ryan Theriot (2B). Melky Cabrera will be gone along with Aubrey Huff, Guillermo Mota, Xavier Nady, Brad Penny and Freddy Sanchez. Also, I think the Giants are finally done paying Barry Bonds and are done paying out Aaron Rowand's contract so they have some money freed up. I think I heard it was around $30 million?

alpha

Post by alpha »

Yes but a lot that will go to Cain and the arbitration for posey and the various others we have to resign.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

capable_keL wrote:you were being trolled
:larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry:
:larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry:

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

hopefully you can get over it.

but i'm impressed you remember it much less harbor emotions from 2 offseasons ago. :cheers:

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

WiCkEd22 wrote: And as for the Giants this off season, I think we really need to keep and re-sign ... Ryan Theriot (2B).

:naswtf: / :larry: / :rofl:

PEACE

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Ryan Theriot back to back WS Champ
UBM CD COMING SOON

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Yall can have him

PEACE

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

lol at wicked putting (2b) in parentheses and shit, this ain't m2c, homey

also giants are trying hard to re-sign scutaro...THAT is the priority...amirite?
Nets 2022

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I kinda doubt it. He's 38 and he'll never have another year like he did during the playoff push. I think they've learned their lesson from Cody Ross and Aubrey Huff. Atleast I hope so.

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

The options in FA for 2b aren't that appealing either

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I'd much rather they channel their focus and $$ into resigning Pagan than rewarding a 38-year-old journeyman utility player who happened to get hot for them at the right time. They should go sign Kelly Johnson instead.

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

I agree about pagan. But there are a lot of OF options if we lose him. I think you're really underrating Marcos career. 280 career solid obp and fielding

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

alpha wrote: I think you're really underrating Marcos career. 280 career solid obp and fielding
Not really tho. I'm valuing him properly as a player. He has been good for half a season. He is also nearly 40 years old. He wont be worth what you are paying him by the end of his contract. Its best to cut ties with a guy early than get stuck with dead weight that limits your resources going forward.

PEACE

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

peanut butter wrote:I'd much rather they channel their focus and $$ into resigning Pagan than rewarding a 38-year-old journeyman utility player who happened to get hot for them at the right time. They should go sign Kelly Johnson instead.

PEACE

kelly johnson is a good option. if you want a guy on your team to challenge adam dunn for most strikeouts while hitting 30 less hr and driving in 50 less runs...

scutaro might not ever be able to duplicate what he did for the second half/playoffs, but he's a much better option at 2b than johnson.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

You're telling that to a guy who has seen his team run Mike Fontenot, Ryan Theriot and Jeff Keppinger out at second base for most of the past few years. After that, I'm willing to take a flier on damn near anyone, Johnson included. I just dont want another classic Sabean move to occur and see the team sink money and years into a guy that is well past his prime.

PEACE

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Peanut Butter, you're fuckin crazy man. Scutaro just turned 37 so signing him for 2 years isn't that bad of a thing. He doesn't strike out much and he's a perfect #2 hitter. Not to mention, he plays a nice 2nd base. Also, I think you're one of those people who doesn't believe in the whole "we all get along" type of thing. Scutaro was a leader in the Clubhouse... and he even helped out Panda as well. So all-in-all, he's a good fit for numerous reasons. I'd like it if we got to sign Pagan as well and keep the top of our lineup in tact.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

jredd109 wrote:
peanut butter wrote:I'd much rather they channel their focus and $$ into resigning Pagan than rewarding a 38-year-old journeyman utility player who happened to get hot for them at the right time. They should go sign Kelly Johnson instead.

PEACE

kelly johnson is a good option. if you want a guy on your team to challenge adam dunn for most strikeouts while hitting 30 less hr and driving in 50 less runs...

scutaro might not ever be able to duplicate what he did for the second half/playoffs, but he's a much better option at 2b than johnson.
I put a lot of faith in Kelly after the Hill trade. He fucking sucks.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I'm not hearing any argument that cites the value of clubhouse chemistry

PEACE