MLB Offseason 2012-2013

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Re: MLB Offseason 2012-2013

Post by capable_keL »

Myjah wrote:MAUER'S WIFE IS EXPECTING TWINS I WILL NEVER GET OVER THIS NEWS STORY QLFQ;OJ34JTRQ3LIJ4FNQWGOJ
The newborns have already been diagnosed with bilateral leg weakness and expect to stay in the womb another month
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

:lol:

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Can you imagine what Joe said when he found out he was having Twins? "Oh gee!" or "That's neat!"
I <3 Employee.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Watched a few innings of Phils-Barves today. That Ruf experiment in left is just not going to work. He runs like he's waste deep in quicksand and really, really sucks at reading a ball off the bat. There's no way he develops into a serviceable OF option in a month's time.

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

I'm sure everyone has seen this before but I came across this quote from the kid back in the day
Ken Griffey Jr

Why should I stretch? Does a cheetah stretch before it chases its prey?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

PEACE

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

blockhead?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

peanut butter wrote:Watched a few innings of Phils-Barves today. That Ruf experiment in left is just not going to work. He runs like he's waste deep in quicksand and really, really sucks at reading a ball off the bat. There's no way he develops into a serviceable OF option in a month's time.

PEACE
You're slowly eclipsing Dwight as the most obvious Phillies hater. Is it from all the years of bashing the AAA team? Yes, Ruf in the OF is a mess, we know.

citizen

Post by citizen »

Philaflava wrote:blockhead?
:rofl:

citizen

Post by citizen »

alpha wrote:I'm sure everyone has seen this before but I came across this quote from the kid back in the day
Ken Griffey Jr

Why should I stretch? Does a cheetah stretch before it chases its prey?
what a herb

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Philaflava wrote:
peanut butter wrote:Watched a few innings of Phils-Barves today. That Ruf experiment in left is just not going to work. He runs like he's waste deep in quicksand and really, really sucks at reading a ball off the bat. There's no way he develops into a serviceable OF option in a month's time.

PEACE
You're slowly eclipsing Dwight as the most obvious Phillies hater. Is it from all the years of bashing the AAA team? Yes, Ruf in the OF is a mess, we know.
I don't hate the Phillies. I'm a Giants fan, remember? I hate the fucking Dodgers. If I felt anything about the Phillies, it would be apathy. Now if your front office had a clue about how to put together a lineup that was worthy of supporting those top three starters, then I might have a stronger animosity toward your team, because I would consider them a threat. But as long as you guys are running out scrubs like Ruf or the Young brothers on a daily basis, I really have no reason to feel any certain way about the Phillies, because they wont be contending.

PEACE

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

:lol: at you saying that without even a hint of irony. Our lineup > yours, last year was the first year the Giants ever scored more runs than us this decade and that's only because our entire lineup was down for the first half and we had a fire sale the second half.
Giants only make the playoffs most years because you play in the worst division in baseball. If you guys lose Cain or Posey to an injury you don't even sniff 85 wins and you have no talent on the horizon. But hey, enjoy Marco Scutaro or whatever.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

And you're still a Triple A team, take that!

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Nice to have yall back. It's gonna be a great season.

PEACE

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

Watch out for Wheeler/Harvey/Neise 3 headed monster for the next 6 years.

alpha

Post by alpha »

do the phillies need wheelchairs to make it from the dugout to the plate?

and two world series titles. talk all the shit you want :lol:

alpha

Post by alpha »

Tommy Bunz wrote::lol: at you saying that without even a hint of irony. Our lineup > yours, last year was the first year the Giants ever scored more runs than us this decade and that's only because our entire lineup was down for the first half and we had a fire sale the second half.
Giants only make the playoffs most years because you play in the worst division in baseball. If you guys lose Cain or Posey to an injury you don't even sniff 85 wins and you have no talent on the horizon. But hey, enjoy Marco Scutaro or whatever.
:jazcas:

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

its just a hilarious comment considering how incredibly similar our teams are constructed and how poorly they are managed from a front office standpoint.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Dwight Strawberry wrote:Watch out for Wheeler/Harvey/Neise 3 headed monster for the next 6 years.
we're rly scard

fags

Dwight Strawberry

The 3 WHITE headed monster.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

alpha wrote:do the phillies need wheelchairs to make it from the dugout to the plate?
and two world series titles. talk all the shit you want :lol:

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Dwight Strawberry wrote:The 3 WHITE headed monster.
can't get much whiter than Icesickle, symanticks and doc gooden

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

1. :ring:
2. It really bothers me the way Juan plays for both teams. You are an A's fan. That's it. Stop being that cross-town guy. Convenient ass muthafucka. I bet during the 90s you wouldn't be caught dead talking to Giant fans.
3. Last year the Phils were barely a healthy team. Age factor or not, you lose your #3 and 4 plus your #1 pitcher and lets see how you do.
4. Philly loves being underdogs. Watch Daddy ball this year.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Philaflava wrote: 2. It really bothers me the way Juan plays for both teams. You are an A's fan. That's it. Stop being that cross-town guy. Convenient ass muthafucka. I bet during the 90s you wouldn't be caught dead talking to Giant fans.
:naswtf:

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Dwight Strawberry wrote:Watch out for Wheeler/Harvey/Neise 3 headed monster for the next 6 years.
God, this reminds me of something.

Oh wait, now I remember. :lol:
Remember Seaver, Koosman And Matlack? Well, Watch Isringhausen, Wilson And Pulsipher.
March 21, 1996|By Jayson Stark

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — The labels keep whooshing in their direction - part compliment, part burden.

They are going to be the next Seaver-Koosman-Matlack. The next Glavine-Smoltz-Avery. The next Gooden-Darling-Fernandez.

The labels give them way too much to have to live up to. But what the heck, says Jason Isringhausen, Cy Young in waiting, New York Mets: ``I guess they let us know we've been doing something right.''

They are three spectacular young pitchers, Isringhausen, Paul Wilson and Bill Pulsipher, all arriving at about the same time, to revive the once-moribund Mets. Isringhausen and Wilson are 23 and righthanded. Pulsipher is 22 and lefthanded.

Isringhausen was a 44th-round draft pick who blossomed. Wilson was the first player drafted in the country only 21 months ago. Pulsipher was a second-round pick who just kept on winning.

The three of them went a combined 42-21, with a 2.80 ERA, last year between the minor and major leagues. And Baseball America ranked them as merely the No. 1 (Wilson), No. 2 (Isringhausen) and No. 4 (Pulsipher) prospects in the International League.

Wilson led the entire minor leagues in strikeouts. Pulsipher was leading his league in strikeouts when the Mets called him up in June. All Isringhausen did was go 20-4 while riding the baseball elevator from double-A to triple-A to the big leagues.

Pulsipher is the one worry this spring. On Monday, he was forced to leave an exhibition game because of pain in his left elbow. The Mets say he will be sidelined until the first weekend of the season and that the injury is not related to ligament damage to his pitching arm that caused him to miss his last three starts last season.

As much as their feats and facts tell you, they don't tell you the whole story about the trio. There is something about these three phenoms that has caught the eyeballs of even their hard-to-please manager, the imposing Dallas Green.

``The thing that really impresses me is that these guys have a great desire to succeed and be special,'' Green said. ``I've seen a lot of guys with great talent who don't get it done because they don't have what I call `heart and head.'

``But these guys . . . you watch them go from dugout to mound, and they're ready to pitch. They want to get out on that mound and operate. A lot of guys walk out there so slow, you don't know if they want to be there. These guys want to get out there.''

Once, back in what seems like another century, Green presided over a Phillies farm system that pointed Mike Schmidt, Greg Luzinski, Larry Bowa and Bob Boone toward Philadelphia at roughly the same time. And those men became the cornerstones of the franchise for the next decade.

``But,'' Green observed, ``there were no pitchers in that group.''

Well, West Grove, Pa.'s favorite farmer has a crop of pitchers now - a crop he ranks with any he has ever seen.

And while in one breath, the manager will say he doesn't want to build up the trio ``because they still need some growing time'', in the next breath he is saying he would be ``very surprised'' if Isringhausen and Pulsipher ``don't push 15 wins'' and that Wilson, who never has thrown a big-league pitch, ``should be right there with them.''

Those expectations aren't just lofty. They're practically in orbit. But then again, it's not as if there has never been a team that had a threesome of pitchers this young who won 15 games each.

Why, it happened as recently as 1886, when the Phillies, of all people, had three guys like that - in the immortal Charlie Ferguson, Dan Casey and Ed Daily. (Steve Carlton hadn't perfected the slider yet back then.)

In modern times, though, only one National League team in the last 45 years - the '86 Mets - even has had two pitchers age 23 or under who got to 15 wins (Dwight Gooden, Sid Fernandez). So that 15-win plateau might be more of a burden for Wilson, Isringhausen and Pulsipher than all The Labels. But Green insists: ``That's the growth level I would expect out of these guys.''

Fortunately, the future 15-game winners in question have other things on their minds.

``We all have our own expectations,'' said Wilson. ``But I think our expectations and the fans' expectations are a little different. The goal we've all set is to get to a World Series. It might be this year, next year or two or three years down the road. But we've got a good thing going here, and we don't want it to blow up in our faces. We want to take our time.''

They may not have that luxury in New York, a town not known for its patience. But these Mets will not be great overnight - because this will be the youngest team to play in New York in years.

Just four players on the big-league roster have spent five years in the major leagues. And of the 38 players on the roster when camp opened, 28 had fewer than three years of big-league experience. Which was all by design.

Once, said general manager Joe McIlvaine, the thinking was that ``New York wanted stars and veterans.'' Now, though, he said, ``the challenge is keeping your team together by building around your young guys - and hoping they become your stars.''

And there is no question who those main building blocks are supposed to be. They're three kid pitchers whom the New York papers have been calling Generation K. But even those building blocks themselves aren't certain when they suddenly became The Future.

Back last spring, it was clear Pulsipher's arrival was imminent, after three straight minor-league seasons with ERAs of 3.22 or lower. And Isringhausen was showing signs of controlling the knuckle-curve that would turn him from a junior-college outfielder into one of the best pitching prospects in America. By mid-July, they were both in the Mets' rotation.

Then Wilson, who somehow had staggered through an 0-7 '94 season after being the first pick in the country, suddenly clicked. He struck out eight straight hitters in a double-A game. He whiffed 15 in a triple-A game. He was voted the best prospect in both leagues he pitched in.

Wilson has been dazzling this spring and wasn't scored upon yesterday, until his fifth start. Isringhausen has given up one run - and four hits - in his nine innings. Pulsipher now is hurting.

The lockers of the three young hurlers stand side-by-side-by-side in the Mets' clubhouse in Port St. Lucie. They figure to be standing side-by-side-by-side for a long, long time, at Shea. Or, hopefully, at least as long as Seaver-Koosman-Matlack. And Gooden-Darling-Fernandez.

``It's great to be mentioned in that kind of company,'' said Isringhausen. ``Hopefully, in a couple of years, there will be other guys coming up, and they'll be compared to us.''
Sorry, I had to do it.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

:copy:

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I love Stark because he's a full-blown Phillies homer but goddamn if he isn't prone to wild hyperbole.

Dwight Strawberry

ahhhh yes. Good ol' "Generation K"

Here are some more famous Met busts...

and my all time favorite...

after doing this post I am so glad I'm a New York Mets fan. I wouldn't want it any other way! Thanks for the memories fellas...keep em coming.

LETS GO METS!

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Lastings Milledge. 727, stand up! Pretty sure I've seen him begging for change in downtown St. Pete.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Any of yall fuckin with the WBC, or nah?

PEACE