Best College Basketball Player since 2000

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Who was the best college basketball player since the start of the millenium?

Carmelo Anthony
24%
Shane Battier
10%
Anthony Davis
10%
Stephen Curry
5%
Juan Dixon
No votes
Kevin Durant
24%
Tyler Hansborough
5%
Ty Lawson
No votes
Sean May
No votes
Adam Morrison
10%
Jameer Nelson
No votes
Joakim Noah
No votes
Greg Oden
5%
Emeka Okafor
No votes
Derrick Rose
No votes
JJ Redick
No votes
Dwyane Wade
No votes
Jay Williams
10%

Total votes: 21

Gregg Popabitch

Best College Basketball Player since 2000

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Since the the mid 90's, the college basketball career has gone by the wayside. Big time prospects don't make it to their senior or junior years anymore. They leave by the end of their sophomore or even freshman seasons. The bright lights and dollar signs of the NBA are way too enticing and why should these guys risk injury when a team can offer them an NBA contract?

Because of this, however, you are left to wonder.....where has the great college player gone? The one and done rule has killed the traditional college career. Remember the days of Ewing, Laetner, Hill, and Stackhouse?

However, there have been a few dudes that have had great careers since the dawn of the millenium, there have been a few guys that have made their mark. A few of them compacted their impact in one season while some of the others on this list have done it by the traditional college career of 3-4 years of schooling. It's up to you to decide who has had the best college career out of all of these guys. How you come to that result is up to you.

alpha

Re: Best College Basketball Player since 2000

Post by alpha »

should add Adam Morrison.

voted hansborough.he was great from his freshman through senior years. Would vote Battier too. Lots of folks on this list were one and done or didn't peak till later in their college careers(Wade).

Gregg Popabitch

added morrison.

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

oooooooooooooooooooooooden

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

You guys don't know shit. Hands down the best college basketball player since the turn of the century is Kevin Durant.

26/11 in his only season at Texas. His team wasn't ready for a championship run like Carmelo's, but individually nobody has fucked with his production.

Gregg Popabitch

Durant played with DJ Augustin, Dexter Pittman, and Damion James though.

Let's be real. Rick Barnes is a very good recruiter but a shitty coach. His teams usually have talent but never do much with it.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

And Augustine and James were in the same class as Durant, but James wasn't big time in his freshman year. Augustine played well though. . Big Pitt was pushing 400 and barely playing at the time also.

I'm not a fan of Barnes, but I distinctly remember the USC team the Longhorns lost to in the tournament. That team had Nick Young, Taj Gibson, and Gabe Pruitt.

Durant was must see tv back then. The only player on this list that was comparable is Melo.

Honarable mention to Michael Beasley too who deserves to be included too.

Gregg Popabitch

Big Breeze wrote:And Augustine and James were in the same class as Durant, but James wasn't big time in his freshman year. Augustine played well though. . Big Pitt was pushing 400 and barely playing at the time also.

I'm not a fan of Barnes, but I distinctly remember the USC team the Longhorns lost to in the tournament. That team had Nick Young, Taj Gibson, and Gabe Pruitt.

Durant was must see tv back then. The only player on this list that was comparable is Melo.

Honarable mention to Michael Beasley too who deserves to be included too.
Melo's squad was primarily freshman and sophmores too if I'm not mistaken. Mac was a freshman. Edelin was a freshman. I think Warrick was a sophmore. Off the top of my head, the team only had one senior. But G-Mac was fucking balling. Big difference in comp between the Big 12 and Big East back in the mid 2000's though. Melo would have put up similar numbers in the big 12 imo. Not saying I voted for melo or anything but i'm only playing advocate to the devil.

Gregg Popabitch

The Rapping Coffin wrote:oooooooooooooooooooooooden
I know it seems weird putting him here but he was a beast when he played, he led his team to a championship game, and he did it all with one hand.

wheels

Post by wheels »

This is an impossible question to answer objectively so I picked Anthony Davis. He was good at everything, and he won a chip.

Was between him, Durant, and Noah for me.

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

I picked Jay Williams.

Blake Griffin should be on this list as well. His last season he was dominant.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

jazzmatazz23 wrote:I picked Jay Williams.

My pick as well. He was so damn good that it was difficult for me to root against Duke. That's a special player.

PEACE

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Michael Snaer is the correct answer.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

for me it was between two guys who were so ridiculously good they only played a year each and also won a title anyway

then i had to choose between an offensively superior dude vs a defensively superior dude. went with offense. melo.
Nets 2022

Trub320

Post by Trub320 »

If this is based solely on college and not what they've done in the nba, for me it's either Battier or Jason Williams. Battier did it all, at times guarded all 5 positions.

Jason Williams might of been a top 3 Pg college or nba. His game was complete.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

but at all times jason williams and shane battier played with a variety of current-at-that-time and future college and nba stars

melo played with some serious role players...and that's it. another factor in choosing him over anthony davis kinda easily to me
Nets 2022

Trub320

Post by Trub320 »

I'm ignoring everything they did in the nba. Carmelo had a great season at Syracuse but he wasn't player of the year and didnt make first team all America. KD had a monster freshmen year, Beasley too they just didnt win it all.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Trub320 wrote:I'm ignoring everything they did in the nba. Carmelo had a great season at Syracuse but he wasn't player of the year and didnt make first team all America. KD had a monster freshmen year, Beasley too they just didnt win it all.
melo avg'd 20 and 10 in jim boeheims offense. do u know the last jim boeheim coached player to do that let alone As a frshman let alone to lead the team to a title? not making 1st team AA is a criticism of the voters not of melo
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

if the poll were supposed to be about who had the best cumulative college career than you couldnt add guys who left after frosh or soph year, smell me?
Nets 2022

Trub320

Post by Trub320 »

Reason wrote:if the poll were supposed to be about who had the best cumulative college career than you couldnt add guys who left after frosh or soph year, smell me?
:omar:

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

KD was better than Melo in college. Y'all are crazy if you think otherwise.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Big Breeze wrote:KD was better than Melo in college. Y'all are crazy if you think otherwise.
you're right...in a vacuum

but i'm taking the chip into consideration. can't help it. rick barnes' devastating coaching or not.
Nets 2022

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Michael Beasley isn't listed because why?

Gregg Popabitch

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:Michael Beasley isn't listed because why?
Oh, were you going to vote for him?

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
Kid That's Lifeless wrote:Michael Beasley isn't listed because why?
Oh, were you going to vote for him?

:lol:
Nets 2022

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Its easy to pick on Beasley now, and he may have not received votes before Melo/KD/JW/etc., but lets not pretend like he wasn't a fantastic college player. And this poll includes the likes of Sean May, Hansbrough, Juan Dixon, Redick and Jameer Nelson. Many of those guys weren't as talented as SuperCoolBeas, but had more impressive careers because they played on better teams, or stayed in school long enough to rack up more counting stats.

PEACE

Gregg Popabitch

peanut butter wrote:Its easy to pick on Beasley now, and he may have not received votes before Melo/KD/JW/etc., but lets not pretend like he wasn't a fantastic college player. And this poll includes the likes of Sean May, Hansbrough, Juan Dixon, Redick and Jameer Nelson. Many of those guys weren't as talented as SuperCoolBeas, but had more impressive careers because they played on better teams, or stayed in school long enough to rack up more counting stats.

PEACE
I didn't put those scrubs in because they played for UNC or Duke. I put them in because they were main guys on teams that won 'ships or other accolades.

I remember how good Beasely was. I thought he was going to be the next 'Melo. But again, is anyone here going to vote for Beasley?

Gregg Popabitch

Also, Reddick's senior season in the ACC was baller as fuck. Don't you ever fucking question that.

Nelson almost led a team to an undefeated season until his conference tournament's finals. People should not forget that.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:But again, is anyone here going to vote for Beasley?
Dog, realistically, there are like three people that can really be considered the best player. Yet you have about 25 choices in the poll. You ask me if anyone will vote for Beasley? No, probably not. But would anyone vote for Sean May? Or Juan Dixon? No, probably not. So if your criteria is "would anyone vote for this person?" then you've already weakened your own argument.

PEACE

Gregg Popabitch

There are three options that you'd probably vote for but there are more than 3 that received votes. And there are players who are sitting on zero votes that I also would have voted over Beasley.

Dude did it up in the Big 12 when there were only 3 good teams....maybe 4.

Sorry, I'm really am not that impressed with his numbers after further inspection after the fact. I was hyped off the fact that he was shitting on crappy teams in a crappy conference. Was/is he better than dudes like Juan Dixon and Sean May were. Hell yeah. But they are both guys that won championships as the #1 guy while playing within a team concept. I value winning a lot. Maybe that's me.

In hindsight, should I have put him in? Most probs. But trust me, I'm not losing sleep over it. If I forgot Lew Alcindor or even Pervis Ellison, please feel free to tell me about it. I don't bitch and bicker when it's that and I haven't before. But if it's someone you know you're not going to vote for despite some crappy choices that I may have put up there in your opinion, you should probably chill. Because I think that's hilarious. Beasley is not in phoenix right now, browsing philaflava.com, and lighting up cross joints in celebration that Peanut Butter and Kid that's lifeless is propping up his cause.

I really don't think this is something worth arguing over but if you want to continue, please feel free.