The Official NBA Draft/Offseason Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Does anyone think Noel is really gonna be that good?
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

peanut butter

Re: 2013 NBA Playoffs

Post by peanut butter »

Yes, as a defender. His offensive skills progressed pretty substantially last year too. There's no telling how he returns from the injury (no DRose), but all things equal, I do expect him to develop into one of the best players to come out of this draft. And assuming Cleveland keeps the pick, I don't know who they would take ahead of him. I suppose McLemore, but he's blocked already by Waiters.

PEACE

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

peanut butter wrote:Yes, as a defender. His offensive skills progressed pretty substantially last year too. There's no telling how he returns from the injury (no DRose), but all things equal, I do expect him to develop into one of the best players to come out of this draft. And assuming Cleveland keeps the pick, I don't know who they would take ahead of him. I suppose McLemore, but he's blocked already by Waiters.

PEACE
As long as his body can fill out I don't see why he can't be one of the better defending big men in the league. I read something a while ago that said people recovering at young age from ACL tears can usually get to pre-injury form much much easier. And yea, if Clevland keeps the pick it would be crazy of them to pick anyone outside of Noel. He is exactly what they need and most likely will be best player from the draft.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

naturalborn103 wrote:
peanut butter wrote:Yes, as a defender. His offensive skills progressed pretty substantially last year too. There's no telling how he returns from the injury (no DRose), but all things equal, I do expect him to develop into one of the best players to come out of this draft. And assuming Cleveland keeps the pick, I don't know who they would take ahead of him. I suppose McLemore, but he's blocked already by Waiters.

PEACE
As long as his body can fill out I don't see why he can't be one of the better defending big men in the league. I read something a while ago that said people recovering at young age from ACL tears can usually get to pre-injury form much much easier. And yea, if Clevland keeps the pick it would be crazy of them to pick anyone outside of Noel. He is exactly what they need and most likely will be best player from the draft.
:arrow: to both of you. Offensive skills progressed? Really? If he's not dunking, he has a weak ass jump hook that is not consistent or automatic at all.

Trust me when I say this, but he will not be the best player in this draft. I'm not enamored with his abilities at all. He'll be lucky if he winds up as a poor version of Marcus Camby. I see bust written all over him like Tyrus Thomas.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Big Breeze wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote:

PEACE
:arrow: to both of you. Offensive skills progressed? Really? If he's not dunking, he has a weak ass jump hook that is not consistent or automatic at all.

Trust me when I say this, but he will not be the best player in this draft. I'm not enamored with his abilities at all. He'll be lucky if he winds up as a poor version of Marcus Camby. I see bust written all over him like Tyrus Thomas.

I say he was progressing, but thats in the context of where he began. So he went from nothing to atleast resembling something. But there's no doubt he's raw as fuck, and the way the league is now, I dont ever expect him to become a guy who can catch it down low with his back to the basket and score.

I also dont think he will be the best player in the draft, because I like the best wings (McLemore, Porter and Oladipo) a considerable amount more. But I do think he can last in the league, at worst as a guy who just makes his name as a defender/rebounder. At the very least I can see him becoming someone like DeAndre Jordan, which I guess in today's league is a guy worth about $10 million/year.

PEACE

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

peanut butter wrote:
Big Breeze wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote:

PEACE

I say he was progressing, but thats in the context of where he began. So he went from nothing to atleast resembling something. But there's no doubt he's raw as fuck, and the way the league is now, I dont ever expect him to become a guy who can catch it down low with his back to the basket and score.

I also dont think he will be the best player in the draft, because I like the best wings (McLemore, Porter and Oladipo) a considerable amount more. But I do think he can last in the league, at worst as a guy who just makes his name as a defender/rebounder. At the very least I can see him becoming someone like DeAndre Jordan, which I guess in today's league is a guy worth about $10 million/year.

PEACE
I trust Breeze opinion more then my own when it comes to college and HS players, but I do think Noel will be a very good defensive player if he can add weight. I don't he will he will ever have much of an offensive game.

I also hate McLemore.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Draft June 27th
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/

1 Cavaliers Nerlens Noel C Kentucky, Freshman
2 Magic Ben McLemore SG Kansas, Freshman
3 Wizards Otto Porter SF Georgetown, Sophomore
4 Bobcats Alex Len C Maryland, Sophomore
5 Suns Victor Oladipo SG Indiana, Junior
6 Hornets Anthony Bennett PF UNLV, Freshman
7 Kings Trey Burke PG Michigan, Sophomore
8 Pistons C.J. McCollum PG/SG Lehigh, Senior
9 Timberwolves Shabazz Muhammad SF UCLA, Freshman
10 Trailblazers Steven Adams C Pittsburgh, Freshman
11 76ers Cody Zeller PF/C Indiana, Sophomore
12 Thunder Kelly Olynyk C Gonzaga, Junior
13 Mavericks Michael Carter-Williams PG Syracuse, Sophomore
14 Jazz Shane Larkin PG Miami FL, Sophomore
15 Bucks Dennis Schroeder PG Braunschweig, International
16 Celtics Rudy Gobert C Cholet, International
17 Hawks Mason Plumlee C Duke, Senior
18 Hawks Jamaal Franklin SG San Diego State, Junior
19 Cavaliers Kentavious Caldwell-Pope SG Georgia, Sophomore
20 Bulls Gorgui Dieng C Louisville, Junior
21 Jazz Dario Saric SF Cibona Zagreb, International
22 Nets Allen Crabbe SG California, Junior
23 Pacers Reggie Bullock SF North Carolina, Junior
24 Knicks Tony Mitchell PF North Texas, Sophomore
25 Clippers Tim Hardaway Jr SG Michigan, Junior
26 Timberwolves Sergey Karasev SF Triumph Moscow, International
27 Nuggets Lucas Nogueira C Estudiantes, International
28 Spurs Jeff Withey C Kansas, Senior
29 Thunder Giannis Adetokunbo SF Filathlitikos, International
30 Heat Tony Snell SF New Mexico, Junior

peanut butter

Re: NBA Draft/Offseason

Post by peanut butter »

We wanna do predictions on where top-tier free agents go?

PEACE

alpha

Re: NBA Draft/Offseason

Post by alpha »

I really think cp3 might leave for Dallas. Atl with d12 is a possibility.

naturalborn103

Re: The Official NBA Draft/Offseason Thread

Post by naturalborn103 »

Howard to Houston and CP3 staying in LA. No idea with Josh Smith.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Did Atlanta just fuck themselves out of being able to sign Howard and CP3?
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

alpha

Post by alpha »

IMO allowing horford to move to PF is gonna be a great move

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

I agree with the guys who said they don't think Noel will be the best player out of the draft, not a franchise level player you'd expect from that draft position. He is very slight, and is gonna get banged on, and doesn't have the kind of stretch the floor face up game to keep defenders off him. He is extremely active not just with blocks, he has really quick hands and grabs plenty of steals. The fact that he is still slated to go #1 is a testament to how weak this draft is.

Players I do like out of this class are Oladipo and Trey Burke.

Pronay

Post by Pronay »

kinda glad we got the second pick this year so it doesn't look fishy when we get the first next. hoping for McLemore or Oladipo

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

For those who dont like Noel at the #1, what alternative do you propose for the Cavs?

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

Mega deal. I believe they have 4 of the first 33(?) picks.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Ok. Any vision on what that might entail? And who might be interested?

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

Is anyone really available? All I'm saying is they have the pieces. Because really outside of sign and trade scenarios I got nothing.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

I'm not a fan of Trey Burke at the next level. I don't understand how he's getting top 5 love. Probably because this draft isn't that good.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

peanut butter wrote:For those who dont like Noel at the #1, what alternative do you propose for the Cavs?

PEACE
I like Anthony Bennett as one of the few players from this draft that has star potential. I've seen his development at Findlay Prep as a junior to his solid freshman season at UNLV. I see him as a cross between Grand-ma-ma and Elton Brand. If he wasn't currently injured, he'd go higher than where he's projected to go. If he was 6-10, we wouldn't be talking about Noel as the number one overall pick.

Lateral speed on the wing and length to guard the post are a couple of his weaknesses, but offensively, he's going to get his with a smooth inside/outside game.

With Irving, Waiters, and Bennett, that would be a nice young triumvirate to work with, but it ain't gonna come to fruition.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Big Breeze wrote:
peanut butter wrote:For those who dont like Noel at the #1, what alternative do you propose for the Cavs?

PEACE
I like Anthony Bennett as one of the few players from this draft that has star potential. I've seen his development at Findlay Prep as a junior to his solid freshman season at UNLV. I see him as a cross between Grand-ma-ma and Elton Brand. If he wasn't currently injured, he'd go higher than where he's projected to go. If he was 6-10, we wouldn't be talking about Noel as the number one overall pick.

Lateral speed on the wing and length to guard the post are a couple of his weaknesses, but offensively, he's going to get his with a smooth inside/outside game.

With Irving, Waiters, and Bennett, that would be a nice young triumvirate to work with, but it ain't gonna come to fruition.
I really like Bennett too. I think his game translates well to the next level. And I like the DE mock because it projects him going to New Orleans, and the post duo of Davis and Bennett going forward could be really great. I do have concerns about his motor, and how he might develop in he pros, but his talent is legit.

PEACE

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:I'm not a fan of Trey Burke at the next level. I don't understand how he's getting top 5 love. Probably because this draft isn't that good.
this. doubt his career will be much better than jarret jack's. can easily see mccollum and mcw having better careers
Nets 2022

Gregg Popabitch

Reason wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:I'm not a fan of Trey Burke at the next level. I don't understand how he's getting top 5 love. Probably because this draft isn't that good.
this. doubt his career will be much better than jarret jack's. can easily see mccollum and mcw having better careers
I really like McCollum.

I don't get the Michael Carter Williams hype either. I get the fact that he's a big PG with solid athleticism and vision but he's sooooooooo remarkably inconsistent and the lack of a jumpshot is going to be a problem. Really depends on what team drafts him.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

I once said that Trey Burke has DJ Augustin-like potential. I could see him as a starter at first and then as someone who ends up as a career backup.

This draft is dreadful.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

I'm not feeling Bazz Muhammad at all on the next level. He can't dribble well, doesn't go right at all, and most of all, he doesn't pass the rock. Muhammad's play at UCLA scream that he's not a good teammate and that he won't make your squad better. Strong possibility he'll be screaming at Israeli Jews to pass him the ball for Maccabi Tel Aviv in a few years.

Gregg Popabitch

Big Breeze wrote:I once said that Trey Burke has DJ Augustin-like potential. I could see him as a starter at first and then as someone who ends up as a career backup.

This draft is dreadful.
Yeah, he's a starter on a middle tier team and a third guard on a top tier team. This is his ceiling.

Gregg Popabitch

Big Breeze wrote:I'm not feeling Bazz Muhammad at all on the next level. He can't dribble well, doesn't go right at all, and most of all, he doesn't pass the rock. Muhammad's play at UCLA scream that he's not a good teammate and that he won't make your squad better. Strong possibility he'll be screaming at Israeli Jews to pass him the ball for Maccabi Tel Aviv in a few years.
Plus he's 32 years old.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

I'm taking notes pop

TeenageMoustache

Post by TeenageMoustache »

I got my first honest to God scoop today. Not very compelling, but Brian Shaw will be the Clippers next head coach.
:myjah:

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

TeenageMoustache wrote:I got my first honest to God scoop today. Not very compelling, but Brian Shaw will be the Clippers next head coach.
:myjah:
Big, if true. Regardless, Shaw been needed to get hired. I wonder if he has a relationship with CP3 that will compel him to stray.

PEACE