2014 NBA Defensive Player of the Year

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Who was the best defensive player in the NBA in 2014?

Andrew Bogut
No votes
Chris Bosh
No votes
Anthony Davis
20%
Tim Duncan
10%
Marc Gasol
No votes
Paul George
No votes
Roy Hibbert
10%
Dwight Howard
No votes
Serge Ibaka
No votes
Andre Iguodala
No votes
DeAndre Jordan
No votes
Joakim Noah
60%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 10

Gregg Popabitch

2014 NBA Defensive Player of the Year

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Whether you want to use the eye test, standardized statistics, and/or new school metrics, who do you feel was the best defensive player in the league?

Gregg Popabitch

Re: 2014 NBA Defensive Player of the Year

BTW, I felt like Bosh deserved a spot on the poll this year but I left him off because I don't think anyone would vote for him.

Edit: Fuck it, I put him on.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

I guess it kind of has to go to Hibbert based on their historically good defense this year, but I still voted Joakim cause he is so versatile on defense and accounts for so much on every play.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Gregg Popabitch

I almost put Taj Gibson on there too but I was like Joakim is more of a linchpin in that defense.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Bogut should be on this list

PEACE

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Voted Noah, agree that Bogut should be on list, he's probably #2 for me. Hibbert does one (very important) thing very well, but he's not the defensive player of the year this year or any year.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

PB, who do you think is more important defensively for GS, Iggy or Bogut?

Gregg Popabitch

peanut butter wrote:Bogut should be on this list

PEACE
I thought I had him in there but for some weird reason, I didn't put him in there.

All the votes have been reset back to zero now because of that so if you voted, vote again.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

naturalborn103 wrote:PB, who do you think is more important defensively for GS, Iggy or Bogut?
Bogut. He's the core of everything they do, in terms of ability and intelligence. He's like the Brady or Manning of their defense, while Iguodala is like Welker. The two are both talented, but one is much more integral to the team's success.

PEACE

Gregg Popabitch

unclebengi wrote:Voted Noah, agree that Bogut should be on list, he's probably #2 for me. Hibbert does one (very important) thing very well, but he's not the defensive player of the year this year or any year.
Hibbert is soooooooo good at defending the rim though....

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingDefe ... tOrder=ASC

It's scary.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

peanut butter wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote:PB, who do you think is more important defensively for GS, Iggy or Bogut?
Bogut. He's the core of everything they do, in terms of ability and intelligence. He's like the Brady or Manning of their defense, while Iguodala is like Welker. The two are both talented, but one is much more integral to the team's success.

PEACE
I fall asleep on the couch by halftime of every GS game.. The defensive real plus minus, which I have no idea how good, or bad, it is, has them very similar. GS also only team with 3 guys in top 15.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
unclebengi wrote:Voted Noah, agree that Bogut should be on list, he's probably #2 for me. Hibbert does one (very important) thing very well, but he's not the defensive player of the year this year or any year.

It's scary.
Does defensive rebounding come into the equation for defensive player of the year?

Gregg Popabitch

It depends on how you view it.
naturalborn103 wrote:The defensive real plus minus, which I have no idea how good, or bad, it is, has them very similar. GS also only team with 3 guys in top 15.
IDK how to view this stat yet.

On one hand, it verifies how I feel about some players but it also really hates on others. Like I refuse to believe that Marc Gasol has more of a negative impact on offense than guys like Robin Lopez, Sullinger, etc.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

I'm assuming everyone here read this already?

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=10764492
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:It depends on how you view it.
naturalborn103 wrote:The defensive real plus minus, which I have no idea how good, or bad, it is, has them very similar. GS also only team with 3 guys in top 15.
IDK how to view this stat yet.

On one hand, it verifies how I feel about some players but it also really hates on others. Like I refuse to believe that Marc Gasol has more of a negative impact on offense than guys like Robin Lopez, Sullinger, etc.
The Lowe/Pelton podcast is a great listen to understand a little more on it.

I still have no idea how to value it though. I hate stats I don't know the math behind and I just have to blindly buy into it or not.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:

It's scary.
As good as Hibbert is at rim protecting, there are other factors at play in those ratings. The way Indiana plays team defense with no switching makes it much easier for Hibbert to stay home and for the team to funnel drivers his way. I feel like the league is starting to catch up with how verticality is being called and they also sent Hibbert a memo that they are altering the way they call it themselves. I haven't taken a deep dive into the metrics, but IMO Hibbert has struggled quite a bit on D for the last couple months plus. Jonas just torched him for 22 and 9 on 10-14 shooting last week and he's not avoiding fouls as much as he had been.

Add all that with the fact he hasn't been a good rebounder, he can't guard guys like Antic...at all, and he'll never be in great shape. Put him on a team with a shitty defensive scheme and average defenders around him and he doesn't make near the impact.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

naturalborn103 wrote:
peanut butter wrote:

PEACE
I fall asleep on the couch by halftime of every GS game.. The defensive real plus minus, which I have no idea how good, or bad, it is, has them very similar. GS also only team with 3 guys in top 15.
Yea they've been surprisingly nice this year. I figured without Malone their defense would suffer, but its improved by a lot, and they've been consistent all year. Bogut, Iguodala and Green are all really good, Klay can guard his position and even Jermaine O'Neal has been an asset when healthy. Steph and Lee have been an abomination, but thats nothing new, and having premier guys like AI and Bogut to cover their asses has been important too

PEACE

hustler

Post by hustler »

Why is bosh even on the list?
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

hustler wrote:Why is bosh even on the list?
he is one of the best defenders in the league; but you know that...
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

alpha

Post by alpha »

And you know he's trolling as usual