Worst NBA Coach of a potentially good team

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Worst NBA coach

Mark Jackson
13%
Scott Brooks
47%
Mike Woodson
No votes
David Joerger
7%
Mike Brown
27%
Rick Addleman
7%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 15

naturalborn103

Worst NBA Coach of a potentially good team

Post by naturalborn103 »

We don't know what goes on behind closed doors and who might be great at motivating and teaching players, but based on what we do see, who is the worst?

Mark "Subs work in Hockey like this." Jackson
Scott "Why run a offense when you have Durant" Brooks
Mike "I blame Pablo" Woodson
David "Randolph and Gasol starting? Lets run a lot" Joerger
Mike "I follow Brooks offensive game plan" Brown

alpha

Re: Worst NBA Coach

Post by alpha »

Wtf? Are you saying these are the 4 worse coaches in the NBA?

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Who is worse?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Rick Addleman
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

alpha

Post by alpha »

You could start with teams that didn't win 50 games

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

alpha wrote:You could start with teams that didn't win 50 games
How many games should the Warriors have won this year?

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

They should've won a few more. Some bad home losses. Not sure why Jax would be in the discussion for worst. Imo at least average, maybe even second tier.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I think its because most expected them to be a top 4 team in the West, and probably should have won closer to 60 than 50 games. Basically he underperformed with the roster he was given. I don't know that makes him the worse than a guy like, say, Tyrone Corbin tho

PEACE

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

alpha wrote:You could start with teams that didn't win 50 games
Look at the talent on teams and then think about what was expected of them. Can't go by just wins.

GS has one of most stacked starting lineups in NBA. The uptick in wins is a lot more due to Bogut and Curry being much healthier this season and getting a top 5 defensive player in the leauge in Iggy. They SHOULD be over 50 wins. Instead of staggering his lineups so their is always a playmaker on the court, which he should be able to do, he would rather go with hockey lineups where it is either all starters or all bench players. The bench sucks and there is no excuse for doing this. Also, why does he keep running post up plays for his non-David Lee big men??

Really should be no explanation needed for Brooks. Yes, they have 50 wins. They also have the MVP who is having one of the best seasons in modern era and another top 5-10 player in the leauge. He is the anti-Popovich when it comes to in game adjustments and also runs out some of the dumbest line ups. Perkins has a time and place, but other games he should be getting NO burn. Brooks also runs one of the most vanilla offenses in the leauge and forces Durant and Westbrook to go iso on almost possession. They are good at this, but Brooks could make it much easier on them by actually running real plays with motion involved.

I did add Mike Brown and Rick Addleman as another option.

alpha

Post by alpha »

If you really think they're 2 of the 4 worst coaches in the league I can't participate in this retarded conversation.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

when did alpha turn into such a dick?
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Do you really think Mark Jackson and Joerger are worse than Randy Wittman and Larry Drew?

I don't think Scotty Brooks is a good coach. He may not even be an average one imo. I feel like he is somewhere between average and sub par.

naturalborn103

Re: Worst NBA Coach of a potentially good team

Post by naturalborn103 »

I left off coaches who coached terrible teams. How much can you blame Larry Drew or Corbin? Those teams are HORRIBLY put together.

I changed the title as well so Alpha can rejoin us in the retarded conversation. I also do think Scott Brooks is def one of worst coaches in the leauge regardless who you include. He might be great at developing talent, but we have no idea. From what we do see, lineups, gameplan, etc., he does pretty much nothing right. I think Mark Jackson is the 2nd worst coach in the playoffs.

Gregg Popabitch

Randy Wittman made the playoffs and is easily one of the worst coaches in the NBA.

alpha

Post by alpha »

capable_keL wrote:when did alpha turn into such a dick?
It was really a weird post . It seemed how it read

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

I remember when Mike Brown was winning 50+ games and people were talking about him being a good coach...Scott Brooks is Mike Brown 2.0 and as much as Mark Jackass is a jackass Brooks is still worse.
UBM CD COMING SOON

ripweblo
pork

Post by ripweblo »

Easily scott brooks, dudes one of the most frustrating figures in sports

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I remember bashing Brooks hard a couple years back and getting a lot of push back around here, dude is the worst. His timeout speeches are pathetic, he has no idea how to use timeouts, make subs, get the team into effective sets, and has never been able to hold Westbrook accountable for anything.

All the rest of the coaches on the list are pretty shitty, although I haven't watched near enough Grizzlies games to form an opinion on Joerger. I just know that with Gasol, their winning percentage of .678 would give them the 4 seed in the west. I'll find out quickly how good he is though because Grizz/Thunder is my most anticipated series of the 1st round. That 7 gamer they played a few years ago was epic and I would not be surprised at all to see them pull the upset even with OKC sweeping the regular season series.
Last edited by unclebengi on Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Popabitch

unclebengi wrote:I remember bashing Brooks hard a couple years back and getting a lot of push back around here, dude is the worst. His timeout speeches are pathetic, he has no idea how to use timeouts, make subs, get the team into effective sets, and has never been able to hold Westbrook accountable for anything.
You didn't receive any push back from me. Rzn can attest to this because I've been hating on Brooks since 2010. He draws up the most predictable sideline plays out of timeouts that I've ever seen. I routinely call them out during the end of games by the end of the each season/start of the playoffs and I watch maybe 8-10 OKC games a year.

To be fair, I feel like only a handful of coaches would be able to rein in Westbrook.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:To be fair, I feel like only a handful of coaches would be able to rein in Westbrook.
Not even sure that's something you want to do

PEACE

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Westbrook's act is great most of the game, but when he jacks up guarded jumpers 7 seconds into the clock on critical possessions in the 4th quarter consistently it's a problem, especially when the same shot is much more high percentage w/ Durant. I've seen Brooks far too often just let the team play on when most coaches would call a timeout when the team is not moving the ball/taking bad shots in critical situations. Westbrook might not ever change, but he'd lose a lot more playing time/constantly be in the dog house under some coaches until he changed some habits. He should be an elite defender too, but he's below average because he's not held accountable.

Gregg Popabitch

peanut butter wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:To be fair, I feel like only a handful of coaches would be able to rein in Westbrook.
Not even sure that's something you want to do

PEACE
I feel like his unpredictability and relentlessness (along with his athletic ability) are the main reasons as to why he's so good but they can also be to the detriment to a team at times. He's probably one of those guys where you need to take the bad with the good.

Gregg Popabitch

So how bad of a coach is Joerger?