2013-14 NBA PLAYOFFS

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Who's winning finals

Spurs
72%
Heat
28%

Total votes: 36

unclebengi

Re: 2013-14 NBA PLAYOFFS

Post by unclebengi »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:yes because all the spurs run are isolation plays for Ginobilli and Parker.

dude, are you fucking serious? The spurs are extremely creative in ways to get guys open, getting guys free, and getting defenders off balance. And they've done it all year whenever they had an elite defender (not noris cole) on their elite perimeter guys.

I never said anything about lance stephenson sucking off the bounce or the pacers being the worst team of all time. are they extremely unimaginative on offense though? HELL FUCKING YES. you watch these guys all the time. You should know better than anyone.

However, are you really comparing lance stephenson off the dribble to Tony Parker? Is this happening? did someone steal unclebenji's password and started posting bullshit to sully this guy's name? You are comparing Lance Stephenson (who is a good player, don't get me wrong) to an all time great at getting in the paint. WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH UNCLEBENJI BECAUSE THE UNCLEBENJI I KNOW WOULD NOT BE MAKING THESE CRAY COMMENTS.

I'm not trying to pick on you or make this a popularity contest or whatever the anti bullying campaign at the sports bar ass softies want to run right now.....because I agree with your comments about Wade and, to a certain extent, Rashard Lewis. But Noris fucking Cole?

Don't have a meltdown on me.
I never said Cole would shut down Parker off the dribble the way he did Lance, but I do think he'll be able to do yeoman's work on Parker if need be and keep anyone else he guards out of the paint. Is keeping anyone on the Spurs out of the paint besides Parker that important? Maybe not, Ginobili's perimeter passing game is absurd, but I'd still rather keep him out there than have him in the paint. Cole combined with Ray Ray, Birdman, Haslem, and Battier give Heat have 10 man depth with an emphasis on small ball versatility. I wasn't citing Cole and Lewis as even big x factors against the Spurs (maybe Lewis), just that their EMERGING contributions make the Heat that much deeper, which had to be a big concern in a series against the Spurs (The deepest team in the league). I think the Heat will get to the line a lot more in the series and Bron and Wade will have an easy time staying out of foul trouble. Wade being healthy is THE key factor to me, as I've stated throughout the year. The Spurs HAVE to put Kawhi on Bron and Wade will have his way all series.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Okay, I'm going to agree with you on a certain point to a certain point. Cole will have a say in this series. I say that because you bring up Haslem, Battier, and Birdman and I think they are more or less non factors in this series other than to give breathers to starters and more important role players.

The Spurs WANT to see Haslem and Birdman out there. Duncan will have a field day with these fools in small ball lineups and Splitter will be effective against them as well. If Spoelstra decides to play these two with Bosh, that will play into the Spurs hands even more: there will be much less spacing on the floor for the Heat and Pop will be able to play Diaw against these two and play Splitter more frequently with Duncan. These two are serviceable in a series against the Pacers because of the matchup but not against the spurs.

I have a hard time believing Battier is anything more than a court spacer and hustle guy at this point. The thing is, his shooting has been streaky all season. You saw him a lot in the Nets series because the Nets played small often and you could hide Battier as a small ball 4 to give a breather to Lebron. It was harder for Spol to put him out there against the pacers because the Pacers 4s would eat him alive so you mainly saw him when Rasual Butler was out there. The thing is, he doesn't have the lateral movement anymore to keep up with the Spurs' 3s and doesn't have the strength or length to bother the spurs 4s. Duncan and Splitter will eat him alive. Battier wouldn't be able to keep up with Kawhi as a 3 or small ball 4. Ginobilli would torch him now that he's healthy for this series. Diaw as a stretch/small ball 4 will be effective against him. In moments that Red Mamba comes in, I feel like Spol will throw Battier out there.

This is why I like Rashard Lewis in this series. You won't necessarily be able to hide him but you can pray his length bothers whoever he's guarding and he'll be able to space the court more effectively.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Oden at least once in this series. Not saying he'll be effective but I think Spol might reach a point where he'll try something outside the box.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I largely agree with all of that, but for much the same reasons, Splitter will play a smaller role in this series as well because he won't be able to cover the 3 line, especially with Duncan in the game at the same time. Haslem's minutes will be especially limited unless the Spurs are killing the Heat inside. I wouldn't sleep on Birdman's impact though, he's not a good one on one defender, but he makes plays when he's on the court- help defense, can run the floor, catches alleys etc. I doubt they'd ask him to guard Duncan much, but they'll probably help on Duncan no matter who's guarding him (which makes Miami's recovery D to cover the 3 line critical). Battier's a lesser player, but he's still serviceable. Battier and Haslem can still be effective though, depending on the matchup.

I think Miami will have a lot 3 guard lineups and a lot of lineups with Bron at the 4. They will try to space the Spurs out and let Bron and Wade go to work. Ray, Cole, and Lewis really give them a lot of flexibility off the bench to employ spread lineups without much drop off on either side of the ball IMO. I think both teams will shoot the 3 ball well, Miami wins this series at the foul line.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

I can see Birdman having that type of effect and also on alley oops but if Birdman is in the game and isn't guarding Duncan, who is he guarding? If you play him with Bosh and Lebron, it kills any sort of floor spacing that the Heat would want. In that type of lineup, you HAVE to have ray allen out there.

The free throw aspect is a perceived thing imo. The Spurs historically do not foul a lot. In last year's finals, the Spurs made more free throws than the Heat attempted.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

I was telling poppabitch it is so hard to call this series. Both coaches have no problem completely changing the game plan on drop of a dime, so any huge advantage one team has one game (or even one half) will likely be changed the next. Things I am looking for are:

-Can Wade score at will vs. Green
-Will Diaw have any success guarding Lebron (which opens up Leonard gaurding Wade)
-Will Heat play big or small majority of the time? Splitter is pretty much unplayable if they go small.
-Will Spurs allow Allen to get real minutes? Or will they attack him relentlessly
-Will Bosh be a huge bitch who is scared to take the midrange jumper where he is so efficient from when there is no pressure

Assuming Parker is healthy I am going Spurs in 7. I think all the floor spacers from last year's Heat have all gotten older and worse on D. Spurs have too many people who can attack on every position, so while in previous series they could hide Battier/Allen/Lewis, Spurs and Pop will always have someone who can come in and attack it.

alpha

Post by alpha »

So poll is 70/30 spurs. is that because people think the spurs are that much better this year or that they still hate lebron?

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

i chose the spurs

want to say 6 but lebron scares me into predicting a game 7 home victory for the spurs
Nets 2022

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

alpha wrote:So poll is 70/30 spurs. is that because people think the spurs are that much better this year or that they still hate lebron?
At this point I think Lebron is the least hated of all the "big 3" in Miami.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Happy Finals Day, faggots

PEACE

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

naturalborn103 wrote:
alpha wrote:So poll is 70/30 spurs. is that because people think the spurs are that much better this year or that they still hate lebron?
At this point I think Lebron is the least hated of all the "big 3" in Miami.
Part Lebron hate, part people being sick of seeing the Heat in the Finals for the last 4 years.

:phila: polls are usually skewed by favoritism, its what happens when you have anonymous voting, and a bunch of lurkers deciding shit.

Voted Heat, mostly due to the Lebron factor. Cheering for the Spurs tho.

wheels

Post by wheels »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH UNCLEBENJI BECAUSE THE UNCLEBENJI I KNOW WOULD NOT BE MAKING THESE CRAY COMMENTS
You haven't been paying attention then.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

If Ginobili plays even a fraction better than he did last year, it's the Spurs to lose. His play last year was the reason they lost.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Liking the refs have called this so far. Lettin em play. Hopefully they don't tighten up down the stretch

PEACE

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

anyone catch tim's pregame handshake? :lol:

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Danny Green is playing like a total bitch.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Great first half of basketball. Couple guys starting to look gassed from the heat.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Yup good times bros

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

VideoKilledThe wrote:Great first half of basketball. Couple guys starting to look gassed from the heat.
I mean is Miami really going to rely on Rashard Lewis hitting corner 3s all series? If I'm Pop, I'm taking that and taking the trophy with me.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Idk Lewis has enough left to give a few mins a night

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Fucking bench Danny Green already, Jesus Christ.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Game has been great, but slowly getting shitter due to the AC situation

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Splitter :rofl:
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Shuttlesworth tho

PEACE

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

"What's the most frustrating aspect of the turnovers?"

jesus christ.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Fuck there being 2 days between each game in this series

PEACE

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

peanut butter wrote:Fuck there being 2 days between each game in this series

PEACE
Gives them ample time to fix the AC.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Not each game, but yeah game 2 isn't till Sunday

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Bron looks like he bout to die from heat stroke

PEACE

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Great ones tell their bodies not now...

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Man if I have to hear 2 days worth of complaints in Chicago about Lebron being a pussy for cramping up I might lose it
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo