2013-14 NBA PLAYOFFS

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Who's winning finals

Spurs
72%
Heat
28%

Total votes: 36

peanut butter

Re: 2013-14 NBA PLAYOFFS

Post by peanut butter »

The Memphis thing is kinda cherry picking because it's one of the five most ridiculous things he's ever said. It's totally insane, but it deserves some context. It's not like he says stuff that nutty every week. And you can make anyone look bad by selecting the most crazy stuff they've said publicly.

And he's not a respected journalist. He's a columnist and personality. I think the misconception that he's supposed to be a reporter colors some peoples opinion of him. But he's never pretended to be anything more than an entertainer, so he shouldn't be held to the same standards as someone whose expected to be more reasonable and level headed.

PEACE

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

if someone cherry picked the top 5 off the wall things i've said on PF, you'd all have me committed.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

I actually really enjoy Simmons' perspective on basketball, regardless of how ridiculous it is. Clearly he doesn't provide in depth analysis that you can plagiarize on your favorite hip hop message board, but I feel like he sees the game through a different lens than most people and I enjoy it. He seems to be more in tuned to the drama aspect of the game, at times he almost treats NBA games the same way he would his favorite tv drama, and is about the moment and the reactions it creates in players and fans.

It took me a while to warm up to his style mainly cause of his voice and attitude, but you can tell he really loves the game and I enjoy hearing him talk about it.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

What I'm going to enjoy most is that an unknown kid is going to (at least deserves) win Finals MVP. Go Leonard!!!!

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Cash Rulz wrote:What I'm going to enjoy most is that an unknown kid is going to (at least deserves) win Finals MVP. Go Leonard!!!!
Leonard is pretty known. He was great in last years finals as well.
Hayzoos wrote:He seems to be more in tuned to the drama aspect of the game, at times he almost treats NBA games the same way he would his favorite tv drama, and is about the moment and the reactions it creates in players and fans.
You could say the same thing about Skip Bayless. I hate when non-athletes, and even some athletes depending on the statement, keep trying to get into an players head say what they were thinking or why they did what they did. HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNOW? Comment on what we actually know. Basketball is entertaining enough, we don't need to turn it into TMZ.

And yes, that Memphis statement was one of the worst, but there is still no excusing that.

Gregg Popabitch

damn, the hate is real strong in natborn.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I feel like Simmons and Bayless are total opposites. Simmons is a fanboy, whose perspective is too often skewed by being overly passionate, but is generally coming from a place of being a hardcore hoops enthusiast. Where as Bayless just cherry picks the hot sports topics, assumes a contrary view and is willing to shout his intentionally wrong opinions loud enough that he actively does harm to the discussion surrounding a player, in the name of advancing his career.

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

I like that take. That's why I like Simmons. He's like the friend you talk sports with that made it.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

alpha wrote:I like that take. That's why I like Simmons. He's like the friend you talk sports with that made it.
He's basically the George W. Bush of sports. His ascension was fueled by people who felt comfortable with him and thought he'd be cool to sit and drink a beer with.

PEACE

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:if someone cherry picked the top 5 off the wall things i've said on PF, you'd all have me committed.
and I can't come back from saying Norris Cole would play a role in the series? (I actually said he was emerging along with Lewis).

Anyone who has followed my run on :phila: knows I'm prone to hyperbole and will put my foot in my mouth from time to time. Unlike most though, I'm one of the first to admit when I'm wrong and one of the last to gloat when I'm right. You can bury me as long as you like, I'm not going anywhere.

Gregg Popabitch

unclebengi wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:if someone cherry picked the top 5 off the wall things i've said on PF, you'd all have me committed.
and I can't come back from saying Norris Cole would play a role in the series? (I actually said he was emerging along with Lewis).

Anyone who has followed my run on :phila: knows I'm prone to hyperbole and will put my foot in my mouth from time to time. Unlike most though, I'm one of the first to admit when I'm wrong and one of the last to gloat when I'm right. You can bury me as long as you like, I'm not going anywhere.
jesus christ, i'm not trying to bury you or kill you. believe it or not, i actually like you as a poster. I too am prone to hyperbole (like saying that is something you can't come back from). We all post on a message board so i'm pretty sure that's how most of us operate.

i don't mind admitting when i'm wrong most of the time. but i will gloat when i'm right. why shouldn't i?

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

You're fine Pop, no worries, I can be sensitive too. I'm getting attacked from all angles the last couple days, Phila, twitter, and real world. All about a team I hate. Just trying to own up and move on.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

unclebengi is one of my favorite sports bar posters.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

naturalborn103 wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:What I'm going to enjoy most is that an unknown kid is going to (at least deserves) win Finals MVP. Go Leonard!!!!
Leonard is pretty known. He was great in last years finals as well.
Hayzoos wrote:He seems to be more in tuned to the drama aspect of the game, at times he almost treats NBA games the same way he would his favorite tv drama, and is about the moment and the reactions it creates in players and fans.
You could say the same thing about Skip Bayless. I hate when non-athletes, and even some athletes depending on the statement, keep trying to get into an players head say what they were thinking or why they did what they did. HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNOW? Comment on what we actually know. Basketball is entertaining enough, we don't need to turn it into TMZ.

And yes, that Memphis statement was one of the worst, but there is still no excusing that.
skip bayless > bill simmons

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

I'm not saying Simmons = Bayless, I was saying Hayzoos statement about why he likes him could also apply to Bayless. Making everything into a tv drama and talking about players/fans reactions instead of actual basketball.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

https://vine.co/v/MjQATWDgZIa
I wish we could embed vines. ^is COMEDY

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

You gotta stop saying "comedy" dude, it's cringe worthy level corny
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

naturalborn103 wrote:I'm not saying Simmons = Bayless, I was saying Hayzoos statement about why he likes him could also apply to Bayless. Making everything into a tv drama and talking about players/fans reactions instead of actual basketball.
True, but what I'm saying is, as much as you love or hate bayless, you can see where the entertainment factor is. He is made for TV, whereas simmons is just downright awkward and cringe worthy.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote: skip bayless > bill simmons
Skip Bayless is godfather to #ALPHAERA's whole style

PEACE

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Hayzoos wrote:You gotta stop saying "comedy" dude, it's cringe worthy level corny
Dr. Hayzoos, your opinion doesn't concern me too much.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

bill simmons can be annoying but overall the nba countdown crew has never been better. still doesnt compare to tnt of course but i am really enjoying the mix of steele, collins, simmons and rose. also they get props for picking dope background music and rose working it into their commentary. last night they played bonecrusher and rose said the spurs are 'neva scared'

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

djjeffresh wrote:bill simmons can be annoying but overall the nba countdown crew has never been better. still doesnt compare to tnt of course but i am really enjoying the mix of steele, collins, simmons and rose. also they get props for picking dope background music and rose working it into their commentary. last night they played bonecrusher and rose said the spurs are 'neva scared'
I was gonna comment on this before, while I like Rose and of course love hip hop, I cant help but find it to be grating and way out of place for Rose to be shouting out "unsafe" hip hop choruses as the NBA countdown fades to commercial on network television

hustler

Post by hustler »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:
djjeffresh wrote:bill simmons can be annoying but overall the nba countdown crew has never been better. still doesnt compare to tnt of course but i am really enjoying the mix of steele, collins, simmons and rose. also they get props for picking dope background music and rose working it into their commentary. last night they played bonecrusher and rose said the spurs are 'neva scared'
I was gonna comment on this before, while I like Rose and of course love hip hop, I cant help but find it to be grating and way out of place for Rose to be shouting out "unsafe" hip hop choruses as the NBA countdown fades to commercial on network television

^this is word for word something I would expect to hear out of skips mouth. :lol:
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Req

Post by Req »

djjeffresh wrote:still doesnt compare to tnt of course
Kenny Smith and Shaq are remarkably unfunny. Like so unfunny that they should be posting on here shortly before having a mental breakdown. Much prefer looking at Sage Steele.
F.U. MOOLAH

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

I think Kenny works as a good foil for Charles. Shaq is the worst at everything.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Not as good as the Harden one and a little overdramatic but still enjoyable:

Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gregg Popabitch

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:I think Kenny works as a good foil for Charles. Shaq is the worst at everything.
I agree with this. The TNT telecast worked better with Webber in place of Shaq.

an-also

Post by an-also »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
Kid That's Lifeless wrote:I think Kenny works as a good foil for Charles. Shaq is the worst at everything.
I agree with this. The TNT telecast worked better with Webber in place of Shaq.
I may be one of the few that enjoys shaq and chuck together. I think shaq has instigated chuck to say and do even more crazy things than he used to.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Based on the first 6 minutes, the NBA is making this go another game.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;