Donald Sterling and the Aryan Brotherhood

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Gregg Popabitch

Donald Sterling and the Aryan Brotherhood

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

I'm trying to clean up the NBA Playoff thread as best as possible to keep it more basketball related.

All racist stuff go in here from now on.

naturalborn103

Re: Donald Sterling and the Aryan Brotherhood

Post by naturalborn103 »

With the exception of a three-year period (1993-96) when I was covering the NFL, I've been covering the NBA since 1987. I've had one conversation with Sterling. It lasted about four minutes. This was in 2006, when the Clippers, to the surprise of the entire western world, didn't have a team that stunk. They had a functioning Elton Brand and Chris Kaman, and an old head in Sam Cassell, and a coach in Mike Dunleavy -- who, just a few years later, would have to sue Sterling to get what had been promised him contractually -- who made the Clips into a promising squad.
Anyway, the Clippers were in the playoffs for the first time in years, and playing the Denver Nuggets. At halftime of one of the games, I was talking to the team's GM, Elgin Baylor -- who, just a few years later, would have to sue Sterling to get what had been promised him contractually. I mentioned, quite casually and not expecting anything in response, that I had never met Sterling.
Elgin got a look on his face. It was a familiar look; the look of someone who was about to do something he really didn't want to do, but felt obligated to do -- like shovel five feet of snow off the elderly neighbor's stoop.
"You want to meet him?," Elgin asked.
"Uh, sure," I said. It was halftime of a playoff game -- the clock was running in the press room at Staples. How much damage could be done in one pithy conversation?
Baylor introduced me to Sterling and his wife, Shelly -- who, just a few years later, would sue the woman who ... oh, God, never mind -- and we made about two minutes of small talk about the game and the great season the Clippers, finally, were having.
Then Sterling said, and I'm quoting, "Can I ask you a question?"
I said, "Sure."
And he said, "Why are all these black women having these children out of wedlock?"
-David Aldridge

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Jesus...

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Ridiculous
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Gregg Popabitch

Elgin Baylor, the team's former GM, sued the team citing a racist atmosphere:

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/feb/12 ... lor-suit12

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Lol. The thread title is a little misguided because we are talking about a Jewish man. Perhaps Sterling is a Nazi too and we just don't know it.

Gregg Popabitch

Big Breeze wrote:Lol. The thread title is a little misguided because we are talking about a Jewish man. Perhaps Sterling is a Nazi too and we just don't know it.
Let the man dream, bro.

Req

Post by Req »

have enjoyed Simmons unloading on him at every opportunity
F.U. MOOLAH

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Req wrote:have enjoyed Simmons unloading on him at every opportunity
It's a bit hypocritical tho. Simmon's has been quick to jump on the bandwagon to air him out, but he's also been giving that nasty old bastard money for season tickets, despite Sterling's racism being an open secret for years.

PEACE

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I have visions of Ben Foster in Alpha Dog.

Gregg Popabitch

peanut butter wrote:
Req wrote:have enjoyed Simmons unloading on him at every opportunity
It's a bit hypocritical tho. Simmon's has been quick to jump on the bandwagon to air him out, but he's also been giving that nasty old bastard money for season tickets, despite Sterling's racism being an open secret for years.

PEACE
True.

But I can't expect Simmons to give the Lakers any money.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

That's the thing about Clippers fans. A lot of them are transplants from back east that still may love the Celtics, Knicks, Sixers, etc, but need a local NBA outlet and the Clippers become the go-to over the Lakers. The locals that come up loving the Clippers are few and far between. They have an inferior mindset too (Tweak, if he really is from Bompton). Realistically, Southern California belongs to the Lakers and Dodgers. Clippers scores get booed at Dodgers Stadium, even when they're winning in the playoffs like what happened recently. Chris Paul even got booed at Dodgers Stadium. The Clippers are Ducks and Angels status, but worse. Nobody gives a fuck about their success. They're not converting that many fans either. If Sterling wouldn't have been recorded doing what he does, the Clippers success would be swept under the rug. Wizzerd.

Req

Post by Req »

peanut butter wrote:Simmon's has been quick to jump on the bandwagon
gonna assume Simmons' stuff is new to you?
F.U. MOOLAH

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Perhaps Gloss and natty can shed light on this racism shit. Do a lot of old Jews think like Sterling? How about new school, younger Jews? I pass the mic to anybody else who can provide some insight.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Big Breeze wrote:Perhaps Gloss and natty can shed light on this racism shit. Do a lot of old Jews think like Sterling? How about new school, younger Jews? I pass the mic to anybody else who can provide some insight.
Sterling is little older then civil rights generation, but during civil rights Jews were the most active of any groups in trying to help out. There will always be racists fucks from every corner of the earth, but he doesn't represents what majority of older jews feel.

Orthodox and hasidic Jews are a different animal though. A lot of them are straight assholes who think they are the chosen people and everyone else is below them. This includes non-hasidic and non-orthodox Jews too.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

I feel that. I live in Los Angeles and outside of New York, we have the largest Jewish population in Amerikkka. Other than parents wanting their kids to marry other Jews, I always thought the Jews were down to earth. The curly Q Jews you speak of and the Orthodox Jews, I can't even say I've had a conversation with them. They don't even frequent the kosher-style delis I go to.

Before I leave the planet, I want to fuck a Jewish broad, just to say I have. Done fucked chicks from many different backgrounds, but some Jewish pussy would be like unlocking the Holy Grail.

Deuces

alpha

Post by alpha »

Sell the clippers to magic. At least that's woj's theory

hustler

Post by hustler »

the league cant force him to sell and he seems like a stubborn SOB that will stick around as long as he's alive just to give a big fuck you to everyone. they can suspend him and fine him, but thats about it. also its illegal to record someone without their knowledge under california penal law which means the recordings are probably completely in-admissable in court. at this point they cant even prove its him on the call. we all know its him, and everyone knows he's a despicable racist, but from a legal standpoint they dont have a leg to stand on.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Big Breeze wrote:Other than parents wanting their kids to marry other Jews.
I would say this is true with all races.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

PEACE

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Sterling faces tough challenge

NBA bylaws clear that L.A. Clippers owner must accept commissioner's ruling
Updated: April 28, 2014, 4:11 PM ET
By Lester Munson | ESPN.com

The alleged racist and misogynist rants of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling will test the leadership of new NBA commissioner Adam Silver. Sterling's apparent misconduct raises legal questions about Silver's authority and possible punishments to be assessed against Sterling:

Q: Can Silver force Sterling to say whether the voice on the tapes is his?

A: Yes. Under the terms of Paragraph 24(m)(ii) of the "constitution" that governs the 30 owners of NBA teams and establishes the authority of the owners' commissioner, Silver can require Sterling to respond under oath to questions. The commissioner has "the right to require testimony and the production of documents and other evidence from any Member." As an owner, Sterling is a "member" of the NBA. Sterling and his lawyers could delay answering questions from Silver, but if Sterling refuses to admit or to deny that it is his voice on the tapes, he is in violation of the constitution and would face termination. He has no protection from the U.S. Constitution's Fifth Amendment guarantee against self-incrimination, because he is not facing any charge of any crime.

Q: What penalties can Silver issue?

A: Under the provisions of the bylaws, Silver has two sets of powers that he may use. Under either, he can issue a lifetime suspension and a substantial fine. Under Paragraph 24(l) of the constitution that was adopted by the NBA owners on Oct. 26, 2005, he can issue a fine of up to $2.5 million, can suspend an owner indefinitely and can order the forfeiture of draft picks. This provision applies to situations that are not covered by specific rules within the constitution. In another provision, Paragraph 35(A)(c), Silver can issue an indefinite suspension and a fine of $1 million to any owner who "makes ... a statement having or designed to have an effect prejudicial or detrimental to the best interests of basketball." If Silver wants to hammer Sterling, he can assert that Sterling's statements are so egregious that they go beyond the misconduct contemplated in Paragraph 35 and allow Silver to assess the greater penalties found in Paragraph 24. Sterling can argue that he merely made a statement, but the statement at a minimum allows a lifetime suspension and a $1 million fine.

Q: Is it possible for Silver and the NBA to terminate Sterling's franchise ownership?

A: Yes. Under the terms of Paragraph 13 of the constitution, the owners can terminate another owner's franchise with a vote of three-fourths of the NBA Board of Governors, which is composed of all 30 owners. The power to terminate is limited to things like gambling and fraud in the application for ownership, but it also includes a provision for termination when an owner "fails to fulfill" a "contractual obligation" in "such a way as to affect the [NBA] or its members adversely." Silver and the owners could assert that Sterling's statements violated the constitution's requirements to conduct business on a "reasonable" and "ethical" level.

Any owner or Silver can initiate the termination procedure with a written charge describing the violation. Sterling would have five days to respond to the charge with a written answer. The commissioner would then schedule a special meeting of the NBA Board of Governors within 10 days. Both sides would have a chance to present their evidence, and then the board would vote. If three-fourths of the board members vote to terminate, then Sterling would face termination of his ownership. It would require a vote of two-thirds of the board to reduce the termination to a fine. Terminating a franchise would obviously be a drastic remedy, but the potential of the termination procedure gives Silver and the other owners vast leverage in any discussion with Sterling about an involuntary sale of his team.

Q: Sterling is notoriously litigious. Can he go to court to stop Silver from punishing him?

A: Not effectively. When Silver issues his punishment to Sterling, the decision is final. The constitution provides in Paragraph 24(m) that a commissioner's decision shall be "final, binding, and conclusive" and shall be as final as an award of arbitration. It is almost impossible to find a judge in the United States judicial system who would set aside an award of arbitration. Sterling can file a lawsuit, but he would face a humiliating defeat early in the process. There is no antitrust theory or principle that would help him against Silver and the NBA. He could claim an antitrust violation, for example, if he were trying to move his team to a different market. But under the terms of the NBA constitution, he has no chance to succeed in litigation over punishment.
Hustler is a idiot.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Any predictions on what will happen today?

My take is that Sterling will get suspended indefinitely and pay a hefty fine. Don't think he'll be thrown out the league right away, but with sponsors leaving and potential free agents against signing with the Clippers, he'll be mad uncomfortable and be forced to sell eventually.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Big Breeze wrote:Any predictions on what will happen today?

My take is that Sterling will get suspended indefinitely and pay a hefty fine. Don't think he'll be thrown out the league right away, but with sponsors leaving and potential free agents against signing with the Clippers, he'll be mad uncomfortable and be forced to sell eventually.
I think they will make it as uncomfortable for him as possible and hope he sells. If Doc Rivers does leave it would be very interesting to see who does take the job. I am sure the players union is already looking into any way possible they could get out of their contracts as well.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Lifetime ban plus max fine and forfeiture of draft picks.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 10m
1. Hearing Adam Silver is dropping the nukes on Donald Sterling today. Everything short of a big mushroom cloud shaped like the NBA logo.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

I have to disagree the shitty way he has ran this team for decades plus that he is a slum lord kind of point to someone not giving a fuck as long as they can still make money.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

ThaJim2 wrote:

I have to disagree the shitty way he has ran the team for decades plus that he is a slum lord kind of point to someone not giving a fuck as long as they can still make money.

He ran the team disgracefully for years and still turned profits. When he had chances to improve his early 90's teams and mid-2000's teams, he rarely chose to sign key players. Egg is on everybody. We all knew he was a shitty person. Players, coaches, management, etc chose a paycheck over personal feelings. Can you blame them though? Lots of 9-5 minorities may feel their boss is a bigot, but it's not necessarily carried out so openly.

Regardless of the private manner on how this event was brought to the light, the public outcry has a made it one of the biggest scandals ever. He's got to go.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

My guess.

1 year suspension. 2.5M fine.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Bomani Jones goes in

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

The freedom of speech aspect on this will be critical. Despite how vile the tape is, what he said isn't illegal.

If they make him feel uncomfortable, perhaps he'll just sell the team and die the fuck off.